Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Hi and welcome.

Some nice designs, but I'm not really sure what to think. Alot of them seem to be draft designs (lorem ipsum) and not real sites. As I'm sure we all know that the difference between draft designs and working designs can be heaven and earth.

Three of the sites look exactly the same (piczo, profilespin & profilepod) and the only content that changes when clicking on the navigation is below the viewing area (viewing on 1024x768). If I click on top navigation on piczo it links to pages like this:

Picture%201.jpg

Animated gifs and all! WTF

auroxservers.com website is not showing any css only straight html.

codemydesign.com looks nice but is just all lorem ipsum.

All in all, you have some nice designs but as far as I can see 90% of them are just draft designs and don't really belong in a portfolio of your best work. In my opinion, a portfolio should contain finished websites that reflect the highest standard of your work and not a sketchpad for designs that didn't make it to finished websites.

That being said, sleightofcards is a slick, simple website and I would like to see your personal blog layout brought to fruition but without the archives dropdown in the header picture.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
The "banners" of your portfolio looks more like links to ads rather than links to your portfolio. IMO, it would turn people off.

You have some interesting designs in your portfolio, but it looks like they are drafts rather than real work.

crazycaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Thanks for the input, as for drafts only some of them are unfinished projects of mine. As for 3 looking the same, I understand the two myspace ones (both for the same customer), but the piczo one is completely different.
This isn't a showcase of my developed websites, but rather designs that I have done. I tend to screenshot the websites with content filler before, rather than waiting for the customer to actually create the content hence the filler content.

As for that piczo-icon.com linking to those sites. It was a small seo project of mine that made me £10 a day in a matter of months.

Aurox servers was a project that folded, and codemydesign was discontinued as I ran out free time.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
By three of them looking the same, I meant that they had the same grid layout and on all three of them the only part of the screen that updates when an internal link is clicked is below the viewing port on a 1024x768 screen.

Great if these sites have made you money or have folded or whatever, but do you really want them to be in your portfolio? As to taking a screenshot before the client puts in content, fine, but do your designs work with real content in them? For all I know they could just be photoshop mockups.

I suppose the reason that I am being a bit harsh is that it looks like you have talent, but I would like to see real sites and have a look under the bonnet. Until then, your "portfolio" is just a sketchpad.

crazycaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
ah, I see what you are saying. Yes they all have been coded and are all working sites, all the screenshots are from inside a browser. Its just I don't want to run the risk of getting a template ripped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.