PDA

View Full Version : Al Jazeera International chooses Apple Technology

MacBytes
Nov 19, 2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Al Jazeera International chooses Apple Technology (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061119132846)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Nov 19, 2006, 12:29 PM
just as a way to start this one off...
let's keep this thread about broadcast tech instead of politics, please.

invaLPsion
Nov 19, 2006, 01:10 PM
Apple: The brand chosen by terrorist news networks. Yeah!

(The above phrase was a poor attempt at humor. It should not be taken seriously)

prechrchet
Nov 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
Somehow, I don't think this is something we need to be bragging about. :(

grum
Nov 19, 2006, 01:32 PM
I like the way people seem to believe that Al-Jazeera is a front for Al-Qaeda or something. Its actually a serious news channel - just because it brings a different perspective to western media doesn't make it wrong or evil. :rolleyes:

Peace
Nov 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
It is a good thing when any news media company chooses Apple..After all,Apple is the best!

Benjamindaines
Nov 19, 2006, 01:33 PM
The second to last paragraph seems like an advert...

Compile 'em all
Nov 19, 2006, 01:34 PM
Somehow, I don't think this is something we need to be bragging about. :(

Jeez :rolleyes:, get a clue.

mixel
Nov 19, 2006, 01:41 PM
Hmm.. Think different? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_TV

I think people should read about what Al_Jazeera is rather than going by what they're told it is by their own (equally biased) media outlets. It's not a "terrorist news network", or anything of the sort.

I think this isn't a bad thing, they're using a good tool for the job. Apple getting a nice big commission, good for them.

Quoting the Wikipedia article:

* In November 2005, Al Jazeera was awarded by Index on Censorship for its "courage in circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world."[31]
* In April 2004, Webby Awards nominated Al Jazeera as one of the five best news Web sites, along with BBC News, National Geographic, RocketNews and The Smoking Gun. According to Tifanny Schlain, the founder of the Webby Awards, this caused a controversy as [other media organisations] "felt it was a risk-taking site,".[32]
* In December 1999, Ibn Rushd (Averoes) Fund for Freedom of Thought in Berlin awarded the "Ibn Rushd Award" for media and journalism for the year to Al Jazeera.[33]

Winston Smith
Nov 19, 2006, 01:43 PM
This is great, a new channel strongly financially backed using an Apple solution.
So when their output creates envy amongst the media generally Apple benefits.

I like the opportunity for a different perspective on world news, that I can consume alongside other media if i choose; but I'll probably get flamed for that. Nevertheless at least the content will look and sound great.

Max Payne
Nov 19, 2006, 01:48 PM
I find Al-Jazeera a better channel for news than ABC and CNN. If I want the ME news then I directly go to Al-Jazeera channel, never CNN, but I hardly watch or read news anyway.

dialectician
Nov 19, 2006, 01:57 PM
Yes, al-jazeera is actually a quality news channel, broadcasting serious journalism, which is more than you can say for FOX, MSNBC, ABC and the like... I only wish their new English satellite channel were available through the cable networks in the U.S.

Some_Big_Spoon
Nov 19, 2006, 02:10 PM
That's an odd statement. If someone is too lazy and/or ignorant to figure out what Al Jazeera is, then they should be ridiculed and ostracized. "The Google" is right there next to your address bar, so use it. Otherwise, be prepared to have the informed and educated take it to you.

mrsebastian
Nov 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
oh come on people. it's a [bleepin] news agency like any other in the world. they report whatever [bleep] is going on. somebody drives a car bomb into a cafe to make a political statement and they are gonna report it. how is that any worse than cnn, fox, msnbc, or your local news station?

i'm watching the simpsons with my son and every commercial break we get to see, "police officer survives point blank shot to the head. details at 11 on fox news.", with nice grainy footage of some guy unloading his gun into a cop and you can see the discharge and his head fly back ("back and to the left"). perhaps the ps3 riot is better material, or paris hilton caught on tape driving drunk, but no arrests were made.

of course there are still weapons of mass destruction, voting actually makes a difference, global warming is just a political platform, second hand smoke kills everybody, you must buy and drink eight portions of water a day, subway is a healthy diet, religion is benevolent, 1000 years ago the world was created in seven days, we need bigger and bigger suvs, he who dies with the most toys wins, your innocent till proven guilty, drugs are bad hmmkay, cops don't have quotas, sex is the root of all evil, you need a 12" cock, you need fake tits, psychics don't do it for the money, all myspacers are 50 year old pedophiles, you will die without a cell phone, history books are 100% true, you need a $50,000 education to make it, the customer is always right, and of course the ends always justifies the means.

mvc
Nov 19, 2006, 02:27 PM
...of course there are still weapons of mass destruction, voting actually makes a difference, global warming is just a political platform, second hand smoke kills everybody, you must buy and drink eight portions of water a day, subway is a healthy diet, religion is benevolent, 1000 years ago the world was created in seven days, we need bigger and bigger suvs, he who dies with the most toys wins, your innocent till proven guilty, drugs are bad hmmkay, cops don't have quotas, sex is the root of all evil, you need a 12" cock, you need fake tits, psychics don't do it for the money, all myspacers are 50 year old pedophiles, you will die without a cell phone, history books are 100% true, you need a $50,000 education to make it, the customer is always right, and of course the ends always justifies the means....

...and your point is ;-)

Markleshark
Nov 19, 2006, 02:51 PM

hmmm... :rolleyes: Good to see you all listened to Madbug there, eh.

However, mrsebastian, much long than 1000 years ago, We're 2006 years into his second go at it...

combatcolin
Nov 19, 2006, 03:25 PM

Like this, one quick glance by a Mod is enough to tell there going to trouble with this one!

Anyway, Al Jazeera are a buisnes like any other, and must have arrived at its decision to usee Apple hardware and software on its periatinal and finacial merits.

So, and this is the real biggie:

WHO CAN SPOT THE 1ST iMAC IN THE BACKGROUND THEN?!

;)

iMeowbot
Nov 19, 2006, 03:41 PM
The second to last paragraph seems like an advert...
It's a translated press release from Arab Business Machine.

Ugg
Nov 19, 2006, 04:56 PM
Good to know that Apple is seen as a viable solution for the intense environment of a 24 hour news channel. Hopefully the glowing apples will be seen by the cameras too. Great publicity for Apple. I wonder if the non-English version of Al Jazeera use Macs too?

Dagless
Nov 19, 2006, 06:32 PM
Steve Jobs just shouted BOOM.

steve_hill4
Nov 19, 2006, 06:38 PM
It's also good to see as there has always been discussion about versions of OSX which cater to those who work right to left, such as Hebrew or Arabic. Even if this is the English version of the station and they could very well be using it in English form, it's an encouraging sign and hopefully this will spur Apple on to develop further and other Arabs to follow suit and switch.

puckhead193
Nov 19, 2006, 06:38 PM
i can't believe they ordered PM g5s....

Benjamindaines
Nov 19, 2006, 06:41 PM
Steve Jobs just shouted BOOM.

HAHA If this forum had a user rep system you would totally get a point for that!

hagjohn
Nov 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
That's one to keep off the "see who's using our products" list. Poor Apple.

hagjohn
Nov 19, 2006, 07:01 PM
WHO CAN SPOT THE 1ST iMAC IN THE BACKGROUND THEN?!

;)

Not anyone in America. No satellite or cable operator in the US is adding Al Jazeera to their line up.

Peace
Nov 19, 2006, 07:02 PM

Why is that?

You don't think terr***st use Windows on their PC's ?
Lets all bury our collective head in the sand.

Sorry mudbug..

hagjohn
Nov 19, 2006, 07:06 PM
Why is that?

You don't think terr***st use Windows on their PC's ?
Lets all bury our collective head in the sand.

Sorry mudbug..

I'm sure they do but it's not something a company or anyone else would want to advertise.

gjd000
Nov 19, 2006, 07:51 PM

Not anyone in America. No satellite or cable operator in the US is adding Al Jazeera to their line up.

Oh good. At least no propaganda can be fed to the American nation then. :rolleyes:

Al Jazeera only ever get coverage in the Western Media as the preferred outlet of radical elements. This is an attempt to change that view.

The fact is they have spent the last couple of years recruiting some of the brightest and most respected Journalists from news agencies all over the world to try to counter this.

Check this out......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4318284.stm

Lets be honest, if FOX said they were going to use Apple, none of this **** would be getting aired.

Expand your horizons...

As for the technical side of things, it makes a lot of sense for a distributed news organisation. The up-time of Mac's is far superior than that of an equivalent Microsoft platform. That and the fact that you can go to a single company for support, rather than having to mediate between Hardware and Software vendors means a better chance of keeping systems alive in a crisis.

If you ask me, the decision to use Apple products adds to the credibility of the organisation, one who will have very little time to prove themselves before people make judgements. the right choice of systems will have an immediate impact on the quality of their product offering.

What's the betting they implement .mac somewhere.........although probably a prviate setup rather than the commercial one. You never know who's watching.

Aside from congratulating them on what I perceive to be a great decision on system platform, I hope people can let them have a chance to improve their credibility which has been a little speckled.

wmmk
Nov 19, 2006, 07:52 PM

poor you for not knowing what Al Jazeera is.
I'm a Jewish 13 year old whose pareents are both journalists who thinks Al Jazeera is a lot less biased than the crap we get on TV.

iMeowbot
Nov 19, 2006, 07:58 PM
It's on GlobeCast World TV. There is a one-time $179 fee for the hardware, but no subscription fee for the channel.

lord patton
Nov 19, 2006, 08:21 PM
err... is this the first thing Al Jazeera and Rush Limbaugh agree on?

Peterkro
Nov 19, 2006, 08:39 PM
Quality news gathering operation buys quality computing equipment,not much of a story really.

hagjohn
Nov 19, 2006, 09:05 PM
It's on GlobeCast World TV. There is a one-time $179 fee for the hardware, but no subscription fee for the channel.

Then CNN was wrong.

Analog Kid
Nov 19, 2006, 09:26 PM
The Middle East is a booming media market-- and a decision like this by a major player is sure to have an impact on other's decisions. I can't remember what the number was, but there's a huge number of satellite stations in the region.

I always see FCP and the other video stuff targeted at film and podcasts. It would be nice to see this as starting a push by Apple into television, and news in particular.

I figured there was trouble when I saw the comment count on this article... Rather disappointing to read most of them.

wmmk
Nov 19, 2006, 09:50 PM
err... is this the first thing Al Jazeera and Rush Limbaugh agree on?

lol, probably! that made me chuckle:D

nmamur
Nov 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
im surprised...
i always thought apple users were a bit smarter as far as making inbiased decisions and here are some of u guys sounding like every typical american who believes what the media spoon feeds them...just as alot of u did when u switched to a mac, do ur research and than make a decision.

OhEsTen
Nov 19, 2006, 11:45 PM
im surprised...
i always thought apple users were a bit smarter as far as making inbiased decisions and here are some of u guys sounding like every typical american who believes what the media spoon feeds them...just as alot of u did when u switched to a mac, do ur research and than make a decision.

First off... you are absolutely correct in your statement. However, most people that have commented so far have commented favorably...

Second, I don't want to sound mean, but it's UNbiased.... ;)

treblah
Nov 19, 2006, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the info. :)

solvs
Nov 20, 2006, 01:24 AM
Lets be honest, if FOX said they were going to use Apple, none of this **** would be getting aired.
Well, if it was FOX, actually I think it would. :p

But yeah, anybody who thinks Al Jazeera has anything to do with terrorism needs some sense smacked into them. I hope the mods delete any posts with political stuff. Um, er, mine didn't count. :D :o ;)

JobsRules
Nov 20, 2006, 09:58 AM
Are some of these posts supposed to satire the brainwashed public?

Al Jazeera is a quality serious news channel set up by ex-BBC employees and its new English language version has already landed some of the world's most respected journalists. I'm sure they'd make a decent choice when it comes to computer hardware.

What do Americans expect? That an Arab channel is going to say that an illegal war based on pure fabrication that's plunged an area into civil war and been responsible for the deaths of 650,000 people is a perfectly reasonable thing?

I was watching it the other day and in a televised debate a female secular humanist Arab was going hammer and tongs at a radical cleric blaming Islam for all sorts of evil and crimes. I was thinking, 'Heck, if this stuff was on the BBC this would be considered giving a platform to Islamophobes and heads would roll'.

Free speech and powerful debate healthier on an Arab TV station? Hmm, surely not....

yellow
Nov 20, 2006, 10:01 AM
From a business standpoint, yay!

From any other standpoint... How much market share does Microsoft Windows have? What do you folks think the chances are of "evil" characters in modern history using Windows?

Yep.

;)

csimmons
Nov 20, 2006, 10:57 AM
Al Jazeera is a great news channel, a LOT better than FOX News.

For the record: the difference between CNN US and CNN International is like night and day. CNN International is actually quite fairly balanced.:eek: :D

spicyapple
Nov 20, 2006, 10:59 AM
I've found PBS News Hour with Jim Lehrer to be the most balanced.

Nov 20, 2006, 02:41 PM
Are some of these posts supposed to satire the brainwashed public?

Al Jazeera is a quality serious news channel set up by ex-BBC employees and its new English language version has already landed some of the world's most respected journalists. I'm sure they'd make a decent choice when it comes to computer hardware.

What do Americans expect? That an Arab channel is going to say that an illegal war based on pure fabrication that's plunged an area into civil war and been responsible for the deaths of 650,000 people is a perfectly reasonable thing?

I was watching it the other day and in a televised debate a female secular humanist Arab was going hammer and tongs at a radical cleric blaming Islam for all sorts of evil and crimes. I was thinking, 'Heck, if this stuff was on the BBC this would be considered giving a platform to Islamophobes and heads would roll'.

Free speech and powerful debate healthier on an Arab TV station? Hmm, surely not....

Oh, wait until they use the keyword "anti-semitism"...any argument against illegal wars, zionism and occupation will trigger that in the land of the free (to the dismay of the rest of the "civilized" world), worry not...

By the way, great IT choice by Al-Jazeera...way better than most US news networks, at least.

Or as Israeli politician Avigdor Lieberman recently said, "only physical separation will keep Israel a jewish state"...so much for racism...

SPUY767
Nov 20, 2006, 03:16 PM
I like the way people seem to believe that Al-Jazeera is a front for Al-Qaeda or something. Its actually a serious news channel - just because it brings a different perspective to western media doesn't make it wrong or evil. :rolleyes:

It's essentially a state run news channel. The vast majority of the stories are given quite an anti-american slant. This is first hand from my time in israel, not just here-say.

princealfie
Nov 20, 2006, 04:16 PM

I agree. Has anyone here seen Control Room? You really should!

princealfie
Nov 20, 2006, 04:18 PM
Or as Israeli politician Avigdor Lieberman recently said, "only physical separation will keep Israel a jewish state"...so much for racism...

That's rather interesting. Of course, there's always http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_Industry if you really want to know how commercialized the memory of the Holocaust has become.

Ezra Pound?

MacRumorUser
Nov 20, 2006, 05:49 PM
Al Jazeera is a great news channel, a LOT better than FOX News.

For the record: the difference between CNN US and CNN International is like night and day. CNN International is actually quite fairly balanced.:eek: :D

Totally agree with you. Al Jazerra English is actually a lot like CNN international news. It's a damn site better than Sky News too which is ok but gets sidetracked by 'dead donkey' stories and too much sport & entertainment.

Al Jazerra has some really good international reports.

Eric5h5
Nov 21, 2006, 04:46 PM
i can't believe they ordered PM g5s....

Presumably they wanted good performing, solid machines that don't suffer from the flakiness and problems of Intel Macs. (Which I've seen first-hand and heard about from others who have them.)

--Eric

connorhays
Nov 22, 2006, 11:44 PM
this discussion shouldnt have even started