PDA

View Full Version : My story

bfj
Apr 26, 2003, 01:16 PM
To be honest, I had forgotten the apple even existed, until I saw the FP iMac commercials early last year. As soon as I saw the commercials, I drove 2 hrs to the closest Apple store to check them out. But, being a PC user for 15 years, I was iffy about going with something I knew nothing about, but, the main thing that limited me was my budget at the time was only 1500, so I couldn't get the iMac w/ the Superdrive, grrr.....

Well, sadly, I ended up going with a slapped-together Athlon system. Everything was running smoothly, so I thought I was happy with my decision. But, after a few months of playing with system, and countless Windows XP reinstalls, due to system errors, driver conflicts, and that devil-incarnate directx, i started looking at apple's again, even though I had no money to buy one :(

Then, as luck would have it, during a Thanksgiving day Beer/Football fest, a friend of mine offered to by my Athlon system for 1800, which I couldn't pass up. So, in short, I sold the system within the week, & promptly ordered an iMac, still had to get a 15" (but with the SuperDrive) :) although the 17" was amazing, at the time it was a little out of my budget.

After using the iMac for a few months, I was very pleased with my decision, I miss the games, but my wife bought me a playstation2 to take care of that, heh.

After watching my financial situation improve since the beginning of the year, I decided to buy a laptop. I was open to all brands/platforms, and, to be honest, I was intent on buying a peecee laptop, since there were a few things that i HAVE to have a pc for, so I did.....actually I bought two....

The first one I bought was a Toshiba, but it had a bad video chip, so i returned it, the 2nd was a sony grv-680, a very powerful machine, but 9 lbs was too much, and it had very bad build quality, so I returned it too.

After researching for a few more weeks, I went to look at the 12" Powerbook....played with it at the Apple store, and took one home that day :)

(it's got the SuperDrive too, hehe)

anyway, with the money I saved going w/ the PBook, I stopped by WalMart, and bought one of the 499 HP bundles, which handles the few things that i needed the peecee for, hehe....

Anyway, after playing with the Powerbook, I've decided that I want the 17"....so, if all things work out, I'll be owning a 17" by the end of summer, my wife will inherent the 12", & my 5-yr old will get the iMac.

Anyway, that's my story, I went from forgetting apple even existed to owning 2 Macs within a year

:)

just thought i'd share my story

l8

BFJ

iJon
Apr 26, 2003, 01:54 PM
your a typical new mac user. you just cant get enought of them. what stuff do you have to do on the hp, virtual pc may be a suitable solution for you. i do too miss the game like you too. unfourtantly the games i play they dont make for consoles, so i have to have a pc too.

iJon

applemacdude
Apr 26, 2003, 04:22 PM
When u go mac u never go back;)

RBMaraman
Apr 26, 2003, 09:06 PM
Great story, and congratulations on your purchases!

Glad to see another person has finally "seen the light!"

It sounds like your building an excellent Mac family.

garzy
Apr 26, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by bfj

... I stopped by WalMart, and bought one of the 499 HP bundles...

walmart sells computers?!

janey
Apr 27, 2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by totalr0xx0r
walmart sells computers?!
methought walmart only sold computers with lindows, not windows.

applemacdude
Apr 27, 2003, 12:29 AM
wallmart suckes anyway its way to ghetto:D

rainman::|:|
Apr 27, 2003, 12:49 AM
i thought walmart only sold lindows too, but i was in a couple of weeks ago and saw some generic box running windows...

anyway congratulations on finding Mac :) mac is like finding nirvana at the end of several nasty past-lives... those PC's are just a bad dream anymore, and even if you get a hardware problem Apple will be happy to take care of you :)

have you bought an iPod yet? fantastic little device... i never knew i needed one, but now i couldn't be without :)

pnw