Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
OK, I know this has been talked about before, but the DRM on the videos from iTMS is stupid. I'm not opposed to the DRM on the music because it gives you options to convert the music to a standard format: CDs. The movies and TV shows, on the other hand don't give you any good options to move your purchased content to another format. You HAVE to watch on your computer or buy a new playback device (iPod or soon an iTV). It's not like the burned DVD would be any different than a burned CD, you would lose quality going from whatever MPEG4 format they use to MPEG2 DVD standard, so you'd never get a "perfect" digital copy.

I'm sure it's not Apples fault (although they may not mind the restriction since it sells iPods and soon iTVs), but it's kept me from spending a dime on video content from iTMS. I would have bough the first season of Battlestar Galactica tonight, but it's impulse buy factor was eliminated because I couldn't take the product into my home theatre.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Exactly, I'm pumped about the new higher res videos, but until I Apple (is allowed to?) open up fair use on them so that I can enjoy them as I want to, I will not be buying.

Well, I just ran up to Meijers (it's a 24-hour super grocery store, for those of you not from the Great Lakes area - think Super Walmart) and snagged the DVD set for $45. Ya it's a lot more, but the quality is better and I can do what I want with them. Plus, when I'm done I can resell them for ~$30 or so, which is another thing you can't do with iTMS videos.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Yea I'm not sure if I'm to keen on the movies from the iTS. I don't the music really, but the videos should be of better quality, like other's have said, and I would like to be able to view them on a TV. Which iTV might be for, right? I'm guessing that's Apple's plan; to bring about a new type of viewing device instead of a regular VCR's (yea I know those are out dated), and DVD players. They really want the Mac to be the center of your digital entertainment, don't they?

Before you know, all our homes will be completely controlled by our computers! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.