Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
a rant..

having perservered with my (crap) mighty mouse, the down scroll has finally given up the ghost. so I phone the applecare line. after being kept on hold for quarter of an hour, i get through to a mancunian assistant who quite clearly see's me as an inconvenient inturruption to his day...
' can i take your name..'
name given
' whats the problem?'
' my mighty mouse doesnt scroll down, its scrolls up and to the side, but not down'
'whats the serial number'
given
'no. of your computer'
starting to count to ten, bearing in mind the amount of time ive been on the phone and i can see how this is going to go...serial number given
' can you clean the ball with a slightly damp cloth'
'oh, ive already tried that'
'.....turn it upside down and shake it gently'
done..'nope still not working'
'hold the line'
7 minutes of silence passes. I do hope im not paying for this call, however I suspect I am..
'ive been reading about this problem, your going to need to do a re-install to see if its a software problem..
'what?!? the disc's are up in the loft, is that neccesary?'
'yes'
'hold on, i'll try it on my ibook. nope still doesnt work'
'hmmmm. right. i''l get another one sent out. what are your credit card details?'
'why?'
'if you dont send back the faulty one in ten days we will charge you for it.'
credit card details given through gritted teeth.
'youre credit card bill may show up as us having taken the funds. this is making sure the money is there to pay if you dont return it. ok. heres your order number..'
'can you email it to me please?'
'no. i cant do that'
'why?'
' i cant do it on this system, the number is ...'
number given
'ive emailed you details on how to track your order'
'but you couldnt email me the order number?'
'no'
silence...
'anything else i can help you with'
'oh, no. absolutely nothing'
'ok. thankyou for calling apple...'
:mad:
all in, the call lasted 27 minutes. to get a mouse replaced.
anyone having to phone apple uk? my commiserations...

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
What do you expect? It's the UK.

After all, the UK is the only country I have ever been to that has posters in railway stations advertising lengthy prison sentences for those who assault rail employees.

After having dealt with said employees, I can see why.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Thats pretty standard conversation with any tech support. I dont see the point of your post?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Yes, I've dealt with Apple's UK 'help' Doesn't it just tick you off when their attitude comes across as fed up and they really just don't seem to care? What i'd give for someone who actually seemed concerned or interested. I think if you ring first thing in the morning you might have a better chance of getting someone helpful.

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
Sounds pretty reasonable to me too. What do you expect, that they'll pick up after two rings and offer to drive a new mouse right over to you?

So you had to spend a little bit of time on hold... you're still getting a brand new mouse without much hassle other than waiting on hold for 15 minutes.

If your time is that valuable, then consider it might have been cheaper to just buy a new mouse yourself and chuck the old one.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I agree, this is a stupid thread. You got a new mighty mouse through normal procedure and you only got mad because you had a faulty product....

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
The guy didn't want to email you because then he would have an email buddy. Every time you had a problem you would be emailing him for help or to complain about something. I don't blame him for not wanting to email you the information.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I'm sorry, but I don't see what was so bad. You called them, sure you were kept on hold a little, but when you got through to the tech support guy, you were asked for the key info he needed to support you, then ran through some troubleshooters and immediately agreed to replace your mouse when those failed. The credit card request is a standard procedure, otherwise you would have to post them the faulty mouse first and wait for them to send the replacement upon reciept. This way, you're never without a mouse at any point.

I think you did alright to be honest. It took about an hour to get my Airport Express replaced recently, but to be fair they did have to spend a bit of time troubleshooting to make sure it was definitely the Airport Express that was at fault.

I'm assuming the customer service you wanted was to answer the phone immediately, not bother to ask you for your name or product serial numbers and immediately send a replacement product without actually checking that your product was indeed faulty. Oh, and they'd have to guess where to send it to because they didn't ask for your name/serial number at the start of the call. :rolleyes:

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
What's the problem with them taking credit card information? They are sending you the mouse before you return the defective one. How else do they make sure they get the bad one back? Apple can't be sending everyone free stuff hoping to get the defective one back.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
You're all talking rubbish! :p

Seriously though; just because this is standard procedure, it doesn't mean that it constitutes good customer service, which it certainly does not.

I've had the same problem, and it's VERY annoying that due to a piece of crap hardware you have to PAY to be kept on the phone - not to mention a half hour of very valuable time.

So; ok, he got what he was after - and rightly so...but Apple shouldn't be winning any awards here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.