Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
iMovie wasn't running on my computer, so I deleted it then tried to install it after downloading from the Apple site. In the middle of installation the beach ball came up and everything stopped responding, so I restarted the computer and everything worked out fine. I tried to install iMovie again, since I figured that it would be bad to stop in the middle, but again it got stopped in the middle of installation. When I restarted it this time, it got to the blue screen with the white box/progress bar that said what was starting up, and just stopped at Finding IP Extension (I think) and looked like it was loading, but didn't change for about 20 minutes. I tried restarting a couple of times, and every time it stopped at that same screen, but on a different item.

I disconnected all external devices, and also booted off the hardware test CD and everything checked out there, but it still has the same problem during start up (It's shut down now, I'm typing this from my mother's computer). What can I do to fix this? Someone told me to boot off the OS X CD but the only CD's I have are the 3 Software Restores, Hardware Test, and 2 Install CDs for OS X. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

unc32

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
try booting of the osx install cds , Hold down the c button upon loading. worst comes to worse you can reinstall OS X off the disks. It will simply replace the operating system and no touch any documents or applications. Just don't erase the harddrive upon reinstall

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think it's time to refresh your Hard Drive. I had a problem similar to this, and ended up having to refresh my Hard Drive.

You could do an Archive and Install, but your system would still be clogged.

Back up all of your data, including bookmarks, emails, important documents, fonts, programs, etc. and reinstall the OS from scratch. If you plan to use OS 9 install that first and don't bother with partitions.

I think your computer was due for a Hard Drive refreshment regardless.

When I had this problem, the bar was stuck for about 2 minutes, then proceeded. I hadn't refreshed my computer since at a least a year prior to this.

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Update... I booted off of the OS X Install CD, and tried running Disk Utilities to fix the problem. When I verified the disk, it said that in the Catalog File: "Keys out of order." Then I repaired the disk, but that problem wasn't fixed because it still showed up when I verified the disk afterwards. I can't repair permissions for some reason (the button is grayed out), and I can't reinstall OS X either because when I get to the dialogue for choosing which drive to install OS X on, no disks show up.

Ideas?

Cheese

macrumors 6502
You guys kick serious butt. I have had similar problems, but most of my day to day, face to face acquaintences are encumbered by pee-cee's so they don't have a clue about Apple's. This question and reply has been one of the most helpful things I have read on the internet in ages. THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES!!! I would like to know if there is a resource for learning how to determine if a file is needed / in use by the system, or if it can be deleted. My iMac DV400 has only 10 little gigs of HD space, so I would like to learn how to better manage what is stored on it. (maybe a good idea for a future new thread?)
THANKS AGAIN> This is very useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.