PDA

View Full Version : glue one key back on Powerbook Keyboard

deeteck
Nov 20, 2006, 07:54 PM
One silver key "tile" has come off the keyboard. The plastic nub on which this tile rests is intact as is the plastic "frame" that lies there. The functionality works but I don't know how to glue back this tile. I'm afraid using the plastic nub will wear it down or damage it. Any idea how to glue this silver tile back so it doesn't fall off again?
Thanks for a prompt response! :confused:

WildCowboy
Nov 20, 2006, 07:55 PM
There shouldn't be any glue involved. There should be four little pins on the plastic frame that snap into catches on the back of the key.

tuartboy
Nov 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
There shouldn't be any glue involved. There should be four little pins on the plastic frame that snap into catches on the back of the key.

Agreed. Don't play with glue or you may permanently damage your keyboard. If you can't figure it out or if something is truly broken, take it into an Apple store and ask a genius to take a look and help you out.

deeteck
Nov 20, 2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks! I see now that there are two plastic "frames". One the bigger one that appears to lie there with the nub in the center and another slighter smaller that also came loose along with the tile. I think your advice to take it to the apple store is sound. Any idea which store is more apt to help? The one in SoHo or uptown? What about the Mac store in J&R? That is closest to me. Any tips? Thanks

pianoman
Nov 20, 2006, 09:23 PM
take it to a bona fide Apple store. either one should be good; whichever is least crowded should be good. if one tells you it's hopeless, try the other one before doing anything yourself.

BengalDuck
Nov 21, 2006, 01:15 AM
Take it in to any Apple store. I lost my "P" key off of my PowerBook sometime last year and it took all of 5 seconds for the guy to give me a new key and put it back on.

kgarchar
Nov 21, 2006, 01:42 AM
he just gave you the key?

davidjearly
Nov 21, 2006, 03:41 AM
One silver key "tile" has come off the keyboard. The plastic nub on which this tile rests is intact as is the plastic "frame" that lies there. The functionality works but I don't know how to glue back this tile. I'm afraid using the plastic nub will wear it down or damage it. Any idea how to glue this silver tile back so it doesn't fall off again?
Thanks for a prompt response! :confused:

Glue + PB = Disaster