PDA

View Full Version : some of you people make me sick

vniow
Apr 27, 2003, 02:24 PM
Its not enough that I get bugged to death by people who are a bit too eager to see what I look like, some of you people have the nerve to ask some very personal questions on a very public forum about things I really don't want to talk about and do so in a very rude fashion.

I'm not going to name names here because you know who you are.

For the record:

I'm female
My name's Veronica
I'm 5'8"
I'm 18 years old
I have brown hair
I have brown eyes
I'm gay
I'm single
I like shoes and jazz

Any more questions??

edesignuk
Apr 27, 2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Its not enough that I get bugged to death by people who are a bit too eager to see what I look like, some of you people have the nerve to ask some very personal questions on a very public forum about things I really don't want to talk about and do so in a very rude fashion.

Agreed, this is just a forum people. Who people are, what they are etc. is a personal thing to them, you should not have to be questioned by people that don't even know you! :rolleyes:

britboy
Apr 27, 2003, 02:42 PM

Any more questions??

Do you really need to get stressed out by some dim-wit asking impertinent questions on some web forum? Surely you could have just pm'd them if it was really getting to you so much.

Mind you, i've no idea what the questions were. Perhaps you have more reason to get annoyed than i imagine.

:rolleyes:

scem0
Apr 27, 2003, 02:43 PM
We love you V. Don't be mad. :)

DreaminDirector
Apr 27, 2003, 02:43 PM
yeah, that 'what do you look like" picture thread is getting out of control. Sorry to hear that you're getting harassed.

edesignuk
Apr 27, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by britboy

Mind you, i've no idea what the questions were. Perhaps you have more reason to get annoyed than i imagine.

I think vniow has every right to post this, the thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25410) in question was posted purely on the topic of questioning vniow.

vniow
Apr 27, 2003, 02:48 PM
Do you really need to get stressed out by some dim-wit asking impertinent questions on some web forum? Surely you could have just pm'd them if it was really getting to you so much.

Its not like they're just asking me one thing, its a lot of things that are personal to me and they just don't stop even when I either try to avoid it or ask them to stop...it's one thing when it starts out innocent and cute and its something completely different when people start getting excessively rude.

Some posts have been reported (by me) but there's only so much I can do.

All I ask for here is respect and some members here have shown me none.

garzy
Apr 27, 2003, 03:08 PM
if you want your personal information to remain private, why did you start this thread with that info? you could just ignore those threads. you are just bringing more attention to yourself

King Cobra
Apr 27, 2003, 03:08 PM
That "Macrumors female" thread was recently killed. So don't worry about anymore rollercoaster slides like this, Ms. V.

I'm glad you at least vented.

I just took a quick glance at the thread edesignuk mentioned, and now I completely understand. I wouldn't dare do what mac15 did in that particular thread, not for any luxury. (I do have the ability to do so if I were forced, but I never would have thought to mention the matter as mac15 did.)

To be honest, that was the first time I looked at the thread.

rainman::|:|
Apr 27, 2003, 03:12 PM
i agree completely. evidently the concept of 'none of your business' doesn't apply to some people here. I hope this whole matter gets put to rest soon, we've gone way off course with this whole personal information thing... and that applies to the whole site, not just veronica... asking for personal info on the web is a slippery slope, perhaps we should all just drop it. Lets get back to cheap trashy rumors about conversations overheard at Apple HQ :)

pnw

vniow
Apr 27, 2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by totalr0xx0r
if you want your personal information to remain private, why did you start this thread with that info? you could just ignore those threads. you are just bringing more attention to yourself

Recently some of them have been unavoidable, seems like every thread that I post in or may or may not have anything to do with me, some of those questions are brought up again and again and I'm sick of avoiding them because I really don't want to answer them and I'm tired of being harassed.

King Cobra
Apr 27, 2003, 03:16 PM
>you are just bringing more attention to yourself

totalr0xx0r, I have been in (without exaggeration) at least 100 situations with "drawing attention" to one's self. If some draws attention for a reason, as given the purpose of the thread, the person is also drawing critical issues, which must be attended to. If someone draws attention in a derogatory manner and has no reason for it, this attention is critically pressed against the individual in shame.

>you [Ms. V] could just ignore those threads.

Again, speaking from experience, this rarely happens and/or works. The individual's conscious is set on "Is someone talking behind my back? If so, is this about me?" The person is determined to find out, through blue hell or tsunami-like high waters, to answer her own question.

Yes, she could have ignored them, but more than 90% of the people I know around my age do not do so. And many of those people do find out.

This is a public forum board. All a person needs to do to answer the question is do a search. In a minute (or a few minutes) the person will know.

eyelikeart
Apr 27, 2003, 03:30 PM
maybe we should just drop the whole thing and move on with ourselves...

the threads have been shutdown and dealt with...

vniow
Apr 27, 2003, 03:37 PM
Agreed, I just posted this thread so that I could publically express my disgust with some of the actions of some of the members here and hoping that things like recent events won't happen again.

This thread is done.

pseudobrit
Apr 27, 2003, 03:53 PM
No offense, but I could care less about what you look like or what sex you are.

Seriously, some of the guys should be required to, um -- take the round out of the chamber, if you know what I mean -- before posting.

mymemory
Apr 27, 2003, 04:03 PM
edited...this thing is going too far here...and your post is being reported...

Doctor Q
Apr 27, 2003, 04:16 PM
If that other thread was hurting feelings, I'm glad to see it gone. Playing verbal ping pong might be fun (as in the endless geek thread), but I only like to laugh with people, not at them. The recently shut down schoolscandals site run by high school student Skyler Tennen, which turned into a forum for kids to taunt other kids, was an example of how NOT to use an online forum.

scem0
Apr 27, 2003, 04:18 PM
all I can say to that last post is...

wow.

:( :rolleyes: :o ;)

not doctor Q's, he posted while I typed

evoluzione
Apr 27, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by scem0
all I can say to that last post is...

wow.

:( :rolleyes: :o ;)

not doctor Q's, he posted while I typed

i'm with ya on that one scem0.

mymemory, sure, having a "worldly" mind is a great thing, you obviously don't have one though. it seems to me that you're somewhat homophobic, and that right there is pure narrow-mindedness. if i'm right, this whole issue started because you wouldn't let things go, you went way over the line by harrassing vniow and making not only her uncomfortable, but i'm sure, many others too. ok, so it may have been a joke, but it wasn't funny, and it went way way too far.

why are you so eager to get into the USA when all you do is slate it??? so venezuela may not be the best place to be right now, but hey, everywhere has it's fair share of *****. you have your computer, and internet access, it can't be all that bad where you are. are you running from bombs maybe? i can tell you now that if i was back in London i wouldn't feel safe. anyways, enough of the visa crap. let it go. now.

whew, ok, that feels a little better

vniow, sorry about all this.

King Cobra
Apr 27, 2003, 04:59 PM
>BTW, that avatar of yours [Ms. V] represents your spirituality very well.

That avatar came from something a classmate of mine showed me.

It's called spoonguard (http://www.rathergood.com/spoonguard/).

dstorey
Apr 27, 2003, 05:20 PM
Some things in this forum have really gone to the dog's. Some people really need to get a life. I mean does it really matter if someones gay, straight, what their name is etc if they don't want to tell you? It's not that we are all gonna meet or anything. It gets to the stage when someone has to start a threat cause they are so harrassed by people. I remember it used to be so nice and peaceful when I first signed up. The only thing i can see that was an issue was if people fell in love with someone who wasn't who they said they were but the internet isn't the place to look for someone, especially not a mac forum board so people should really back off for there own sake as well as the other parties....cause obviously we don't want people getting hurt in here...it's suppose to be a bit of fun after all.

britboy
Apr 27, 2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
.......i can tell you now that if i was back in London i wouldn't feel safe.

Pray tell, why not? I'm living in london, and don't feel particularly unsafe. Certaintly no more so than if I was in any other major city.

[without meaning to go too far off-topic ;)]

britboy
Apr 27, 2003, 06:11 PM
Its not like they're just asking me one thing, its a lot of things that are personal to me and they just don't stop even when I either try to avoid it or ask them to stop...it's one thing when it starts out innocent and cute and its something completely different when people start getting excessively rude.

Some posts have been reported (by me) but there's only so much I can do.

All I ask for here is respect and some members here have shown me none.

Well, without meaning to sound too harsh, perhaps your skin needs to toughen up a little. I can understand that you might start feeling uncomfortable if pseudo-annonymous people start showing too much interest in your personal life for no obvious reason, but how is it really going to affect you? Do you know any of these people personally? Probably not. Are you ever likely to meet any of these people? Probably not. So don't let what they say/write get to you, and report their post to a moderator. Dealing with it this way (by creating a whole new thread) is hardly likely to make things any better. It just puts peoples' backs up.

Still, it's your decision how you deal with it. This is just my personal opinion, not an attack.

beez7777
Apr 27, 2003, 06:13 PM
one of the great things about the internet is that you aren't pre-judged by your race, sexual preference, or gender. we can be who we want on the internet, as long as it doesn't hurt other people. message boards such as these allow us to voice our opinions equally. we geta fresh start, an escape so to speak. once we take this away, we are taking away one of the most important aspects of boards such as these . so what if vniow isn't really who she says she is, or if everyone doesn't know every detail about her. it doesn't matter. i think that she has every right to post this thread in response to harrassment by other members. come on people, stop this nonesense, and lets get back to what we all registered for- good rumors and an even better mac community.

evoluzione
Apr 27, 2003, 06:28 PM
Pray tell, why not? I'm living in london, and don't feel particularly unsafe. Certaintly no more so than if I was in any other major city.

[without meaning to go too far off-topic ;)]

ok, in a nutshell.... i used to live in bedford (most of my life) and worked in london for 4 years. commuted every day etc. everyone said when they heard i was moving to nyc, "you be careful out there". nyc is one of the safest places i've been to, everyone is just paranoid (maybe with good reason), but then, americans have to have something to worry about, it's the way it is, there is always something. i used to live a minute from the world trade center(re) and i consider myself lucky, but i'd still feel safer here than if i was back in london. not only is the war going on, england being the one place outside of the states that would likely be targetted if anything did happen, but we have the IRA as well. that's more random. that's more scary than riding the subway after dark for example. i'm not saying i'd feel particularly unsafe back in london, just more so than here in new york city. and that's not because there are now armed forces on the subway stations either. i have greater faith in the english police/armed forces to be honest.

ok, sorry to carry on with the tangent...... :)

with regards to this thread, that's what the internet is all about, why should anyone have to worry about their identity?? be who the hell you want right??? it's just sad that some can't accept that i guess.

Sun Baked
Apr 27, 2003, 06:33 PM
:confused:

Like it's any better to jump on people that crossed the line after someone jumps up and yells that this feels like it is way too close to cyberstalking. :rolleyes:

I'm still surprised this thread has been allowed to stay open this long, the lynch mob is starting to look a little restless.

dstorey
Apr 27, 2003, 06:35 PM
continuing the previous tangent, can i ask how you got your permit to work in the states? I'm intrested in working in NYC - I love the place, music, amount of things there is to do, and i have a few good friends there. I'm just wondering if its quite easy to get? I've applied for a few jobs but most that have answered want me to have a H-1 visa. Do you know anyway i could get a visa without a job to go into for example, or companies that employ aliens (as americans seem to calls us - and as my fellow geordie said - i'm an illiegal alien, an englishman in new york), and apply for work permits. I have a first class degree so I'm qualified...just dont have any experience except working at CERn, (WWW inventors) for a year on placement.

cheers if you have any ideas.

vniow
Apr 27, 2003, 06:36 PM
Well, without meaning to sound too harsh, perhaps your skin needs to toughen up a little. I can understand that you might start feeling uncomfortable if pseudo-annonymous people start showing too much interest in your personal life for no obvious reason, but how is it really going to affect you? Do you know any of these people personally? Probably not. Are you ever likely to meet any of these people? Probably not. So don't let what they say/write get to you, and report their post to a moderator. Dealing with it this way (by creating a whole new thread) is hardly likely to make things any better. It just puts peoples' backs up.

It affects me because this is a community that I'm proud to be a part of (even if I'll never meet most of you in person) and I don't like people asking me some personal qusestions even after I express my discomfort with them, they just don't stop even after I report them, some of the people here are way too inquisitive and I try to avoid it but they keep on coming.

The whole purpose of this thread is to publically state that I'm not going to take any more ***** from these said people, I could PM them but I feel that it wouldn't affect much of anything and I'm not sure that this thread will do much (if any) good but I'm sick of sitting down and watch people go behind my back.

void
Apr 27, 2003, 06:42 PM
I'm with you all the way vniow...
This will go down in MR history as a famous moment...
This thread reminds me of a camp song "you can be anybody you want to be "
sorry if i did anything that offended you or anything...:) :) :D :cool: :D :) :) :) okay enough smileys these things are stupid

eyelikeart
Apr 27, 2003, 06:44 PM
ok this is enough...

this is the 5th thread I've shutdown today... :rolleyes: