Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrabit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I had a bad experience.
I tried to install Alcohol 120% and when it tries to make the fake dvd-drive, Vista crashes and you get the blue screen. :mad: It does that everytime I boot Vista with alcohol 120%. :confused: It craches on and on again.

Why is that?

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
It does that everytime I boot Vista with alcohol 120%
If you now cannot get into Vista because it continually crashes keep pressing F8 while Vista is loading and you should be given a list of options. Choosing Safe Mode from the list will allow you to boot into Vista (it will not try to load Alcohol) and you should be able to uninstall the program and then boot normally.

Sean :)

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
It is becasue Alcohol 120 uses very low level code, which doesn't work in vista (similar to the original anti virus program troubles) , you could try a combination of Ultra ISO for ripping conversion etc, and microsofts own virtual cd drive for mounting virtual cd's (this is an xp program but it works well under vista)

henrikrabit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I've tried that of course.
It crashes in safemode too. I think it's correct what Sean says!
Sean do you know more software that does that?

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
I have some low level stuff that outputs to an rs232/tty/serial/callItWhatYouLike port that doesn't work with vista, then again it din't work very well with xp either

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I had a bad experience.
I tried to install Alcohol 120% and when it tries to make the fake dvd-drive, Vista crashes and you get the blue screen. :mad: It does that everytime I boot Vista with alcohol 120%. :confused: It craches on and on again.

Why is that?

Alcohol 120% is known to be incompatible with Vista. Why would you try installing it in the first place? You should always ensure that software is compatible with your system before installing it.

Shin0bi272

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2007
Even in safe mode it will continuously reboot. To fix your issue you will need to perform a system restore. To get to the system restore for vista simply insert the vista cd and reboot. that will allow you to restore back to a point before you installed alcohol. Dont feel dumb I did the same thing. Also the newest version of alcohol is compatible with vista so you need to upgrade.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I had a bad experience.

Why is that?

I googled Daemon Tools (an equivilant tool); it sounds like it works fine on a fresh Vista install, but on an upgrade install it causes crashes.

taveramex

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Solucion del Alcohol 120% BSOD Vista

Cuando el Alcohol 120% ver 1.9.5.3105 o posterior es instalado en una maquina con Windows Vista aparece la leyenda de incompatibilidad de software , pero usualmente la saltamos (firma digital de controladores) y le decimos que aun asi instale.

El resultado de esto es un windows Vista con una BSOD cada que empieza, a veces tarda pero al final logra poner esa pantalla a la vista, El problema de esta pantalla (que yo logre determinar) es que intenta instalar unos controladores(drivers) para la emulacion de unidades virtuales. y eso causa el error.

En la pagina de alcohol 120% dice que los archivos se llaman a347bus.sys y otros, pero yo no los encontre!

La solucion que encontre fue esta:
1.- Entras con el Cd de windows vista(el de instalacion)
2.- usas la consola de recuperacion EN VEZ DE REINSTALAR
3.- te diriges a tu unidad C:\windows\system32\drivers\
4.- borras dos archivos que se llaman:
"Vax347b.sys"
"Vax347s.sys"
5.- reinicias y listo debe entrar (te marcara que no encuentra los drivers de la unidad virtual que quiere instalar y solo le pones que no los vuelva a buscar.

Hasta aqui si instalaste el alcohol version 1.9.5 (build 3105) todo se habra resuelto (es el que instale :D).

Es posible que despues de esto tambien marque el error 1704

"Error 1704. An installation of Alcohol 120% is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes."

pero tambien hay solucion, solo reinstalen el alcohol pero sin el servicio de starwind service y listo podran desinstalarlo a gusto y sin tener una BSOD.

Espero y ayude

Atte:
Taveramex

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Cuando el Alcohol 120% ver 1.9.5.3105 o posterior es instalado en una maquina con Windows Vista aparece la leyenda de incompatibilidad de software , pero usualmente la saltamos (firma digital de controladores) y le decimos que aun asi instale.

El resultado de esto es un windows Vista con una BSOD cada que empieza, a veces tarda pero al final logra poner esa pantalla a la vista, El problema de esta pantalla (que yo logre determinar) es que intenta instalar unos controladores(drivers) para la emulacion de unidades virtuales. y eso causa el error.

En la pagina de alcohol 120% dice que los archivos se llaman a347bus.sys y otros, pero yo no los encontre!

La solucion que encontre fue esta:
1.- Entras con el Cd de windows vista(el de instalacion)
2.- usas la consola de recuperacion EN VEZ DE REINSTALAR
3.- te diriges a tu unidad C:\windows\system32\drivers\
4.- borras dos archivos que se llaman:
"Vax347b.sys"
"Vax347s.sys"
5.- reinicias y listo debe entrar (te marcara que no encuentra los drivers de la unidad virtual que quiere instalar y solo le pones que no los vuelva a buscar.

Hasta aqui si instalaste el alcohol version 1.9.5 (build 3105) todo se habra resuelto (es el que instale :D).

Es posible que despues de esto tambien marque el error 1704

"Error 1704. An installation of Alcohol 120% is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes."

pero tambien hay solucion, solo reinstalen el alcohol pero sin el servicio de starwind service y listo podran desinstalarlo a gusto y sin tener una BSOD.

Espero y ayude

Atte:
Taveramex

Why would anyone post spanish in an English speaking forum??? Maybe I should switch to Dutch as well! :confused:

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
The rough translation from freetranslation.com

When the Alcohol 120% to see 1.9.5.3105 or subsequent is installed in a plots with Windows View appears the software incompatibility legend, but usually we jump it (digital firm of controllers) and we tell him that even asi you coax him.

The result of this is a Windows View with a BSOD each that begins, at times delays but al final manages to put that screen in sight, The problem of this screen (that I manage to determine) is that tries to install some controllers (drivers) for the emulacion of virtual units. and that causes the error.

In it it paginates of alcohol 120% says that the files are called a347bus.sys and other, but I find not them!

The solucion that find was this: 1.- you Enter with the Cd of Windows view (that of instalacion) 2.- use the console of recuperacion INSTEAD OF REINSTALLING 3.- direct you to your unit C: \windows\system32\drivers\ 4.- erase two files that are
called: “Vax347b.sys" “Vax347s.sys" 5.- you resume and ready should enter (marked you that does not find the drivers of the virtual unit that wants to install and alone put him that seek not them again.

To aqui if you installed the alcohol version 1.9.5 (build 3105) all itself habra resolved (is the one that coax him).

It is possible that despues of this tambien mark the error 1704

"Error 1704. Go installation of Alcohol 120% is currently you suspend. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. It gave you want to undo those changes."

But tambien there is solucion, alone they reinstall the alcohol but without the service of starwind service and ready podran to uninstall it to flavor and without having a BSOD.

I expect and help

Atte: Taveramex

taveramex

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Why would anyone post spanish in an English speaking forum??? Maybe I should switch to Dutch as well! :confused:

Porque deberia yo cambiar mi idioma cuando ud. son los que necesitan la respuesta?
pero esta bien me convencieron, ya que tambien hablo y escribo ingles pondre tu mentadita traduccion, sin embargo deberias aprender español ;) es bueno hablar diferentes idiomas.

Why i should bother in change my languaje, when you need MY answer?
Shouldn´t you just say thankyou and search for a my traduction?
but it´s ok, you just convince me, i speak english as well . . . not too good as you can read (jojojojo), so i put the answer in english too, however you should learn spanish, it´s good to speak in diferent languajes.

taveramex

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Solution of Alcohol 120% Blue Screen of Death on Windows Vista

When you install Alcohol 120% Ver 1.9.5.3105 on a Windows Vista Machine you get one advise telling you that "this application is not compatible blablabla" but we just ignore this advise and put ourselves in a BSOD(blue screen of death) complication.

This BSOD it´s annoying cuz every time we start we get it,no matter if we start in safe mode.
The reason of this trouble is the virtual devices of alcohol is trying to set up on Vista(they are incompatible, but you know that already :D).

In the alcohol Support Page the answer to this problem was about some files(a347bus.sys and others), but i cannot find it in my PC (i really serach them!).

So i dig an answer and i got this:

1.- get into the boot cd of vista
2.- Use the Command Repair console, instead of reinstalling whole system
3.-get to c:\windows\system32\drivers
4.- rename or delete this files
"Vax347b.sys"
"Vax347s.sys"
5.-Restart and ready!(you´ll get another advise about some drivers windows can´t find. . . just ignore him (it´s the virtual device of alcohol)

if you installed alcohol Ver 1.9.5 (build 3105) everything just come back to normal, but eventually you´ll get a Error 1704 when you try to use Microsoft windows Installer

But there´s a solution as well!
1.- Reinstall Alcohol 120% (same version and installer) without the Starwind service (alcohol virtual device i belive)
2.- And uninstall it.
3.- now everything is dandy.

hope you solve your problems ;)

Atte:
Taveramex from Monterrey, Mexico

sotl

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
The newest version supports vista. Try that. Mine's been running flawlessly with 2 virtual drives on my macbook pro for over a month. I use vista 32bit and I installed everything the exe had to offer minus the online help. For some added convenience you could get MacDrive 7 and mount iso's from your OS X partition onto virtual drives for use in Vista.

HiroS

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
helpp

well,i already installed alchol to vista with ignoring not available note:( . But the roblem is i dont have a reboot disk so could you please help me with another solution?

vistavictim

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
System Restore must be on to do this fix

I recently tried to install Alcohol 120 1.9.5 3105 (not knowing it's not for vista). During installation a red window came up saying a particular driver did not have a valid certificate, you could then choose to Not install the driver or "CONTINUE ANYWAY" I gave the old continue anyway a go and wouldn't you know !!!! the Blue Screen Of Demons came up with the error code e0x0000007e. After that no matter what mode "Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt or start normally" would keep blue screening half or 3/4 though the boot up. IT DROVE ME MAD...

Solution that worked for me..

With vista being so unpredictable at times, I recommend having "SYSTEM RESTORE ON!!!" The save points can be a big load off your shoulders when it all goes south!...

During the inital boot up of your pc hit F12, should be Boot Device Menu. Insert you Vista DVD and choose "BOOT FROM CD/DVD DEVICE" or whatever is closest to that wait and get ready to be quick... hit a key a soon as the message pops up after approx 20 secs. wait and the window for vista will open with a menu. choose custom and down the bottom left should say Repair, hit that and the next window will have system restore there. If system restore says youur disk has errors and you cant continue, let it run the scan and then it will say notings wrong but wont let you continue , it wants you to scan again!! Click the Back button and wait 30 secs and click next a couple of times and off you go!!!

I know it may not be a spot on description but I only did the process once and it saved my bacon.

Cant wait for the SERVICE PACK,SERVICE PACK, service pack, service pack, SERVICE PACK................ uhhh hope there will be one soon, any1 know??

Laterz:)

ChaosApostle

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Seeing as this is the first topic on the list when I searched...

"BSOD on Vista from Alcohol 120%"

...I'll point anyone who like me got F-ed over (by my own stupdity more so) when I bought my PC from a company and only got that OEM Re-Installer disc... or may unlike me, not have one of those discs... and decided to install a version of Alcohol 120% that is not inteded for Vista to get of course, BSODs and a bad gut renching sensation as you feel entirely screwed.

To Get a Recovery/Restore Center disc, Go here:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

If you need a torrent program:
http://www.utorrent.com/

To Figure out how to burn the disc (article directs you to a freeware app):
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dont-have-one/

I beleive this atricle is outdated (slightly) and was the "slipstream meathod":
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

I recommend anyone with a copy of Vista to obtain and keep a copy of either or both of those discs (x86 & x64 versions) and keep them somewhere safe for just incase. Never know when you or someone else might need them (and be sure you remind people about the existance of that available disc!).

Ironically I encountered this BSOD thing last year with my Laptop, but at the time I had my stuff backed up propperly, so I just re-installed and didn't lose anything., so I had actually read up on these errors about a year ago. It has been so long since then though, that I actually forgot that this Alcohol 120% 1.9.5 I had would give me this BSOD situation. I just got a Vista Home Pro PC about two weeks ago and Just today (roughly an hour and a half prior to this post) I foolishly tried to do the obvious and freaked out thinking "OMG! Why did I choose to allow those drivers to install?! Why the heck did I move those few files from my Flash Drive to this PC?!". Just my luck to have found these links all here on the first page of Google, compared to many other searches I've done for other various Windows errors and the like to search through page after page not getting a very clear solution or answer to my problem.

Good Luck Pure Vista Runners & Dual Booters Alike!

~ C.A.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
I googled Daemon Tools (an equivilant tool); it sounds like it works fine on a fresh Vista install, but on an upgrade install it causes crashes.

Actually, it works just fine on my original MacBook. I upgraded both Windows and DAEMON Tools at various times and nothing's crashed. In fact my most recent hard crash was a Mac OS X kernel panic. Then again, I use Mac OS X way more often...

DarkSpawn

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2008
Weird

How weird is that i got vista :)mad:eek:nly cause i cant change back to xp:mad:) and it works absolutely fine maybe cause ur installing it properly unlike me im using cracks for it :confused:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Alcohol 120 is terrible to begin with. I wish there was a Toast Titanium equivalent on Windows (one that was light weight, and doesn't run random apps in the background even when you're not using it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.