PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook is woefully slow

kerpow
Nov 23, 2006, 04:39 AM
Over the last month or so my PB (see sig) has really slowed down. Nothing has changed, still got at least 20% hard disk space free and I've done repair permissions on both the internal and external drive. It can take 5-10 secs to open an application right after a reboot. The app just bounces up and down in Dock.

Sometimes it just locks up completely for 30 secs or so. Its old and I intend to replace it next year but I want to get productive use out of it for the time being.

Should I do stuff liek clearing the PRAM or something similar?

Maxiseller
Nov 23, 2006, 05:10 AM
Try downloading "Onyx" (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070) which may well help improve speed overall for you.

Go through all the utilities and hopefully that will make a difference.

Also, is the SMART status of you drive ok? I know a month is a long time for a malfunctioning Hard Drive, but it could potentially be the problem. You can check smart status by opening Disk Utility and selecting your disk from the panel on the left. In the Right Hand corner it should read Smart Status : Verified.

mad jew
Nov 23, 2006, 07:20 PM
Clearing the PRAM probably won't help your problem. However, check Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder (check All Processes, not just the default My Processes) and sort by CPU cycles and RAM to see if anything's hogging your resources. Also, restart your machine and tell us how many page ins and page outs you have after two hours of normal use. You can find this info in Activity Monitor too. :)