PDA

View Full Version : Mono output on MacBook Pro?

Killyp
Nov 23, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey!

Basically, I'm going away on this music course TOMORROW, and I'm taking my MacBook Pro with me. I'll be hooking it up to a Peavey amp, but it NEEDS to have Mono output, otherwise I lose out on the right channel entirely.

Can anybody think of a way I can make the output mono? It doesn't seem to let me in Audio MIDI Setup, it just says I can't configure left and right to be on the same output.

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Alex

Sesshi
Nov 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1227&criteria=stereo%20mono&doy=23m11

The stated use is input. I'm not entirely sure if the Macbook Pro has the appropriate protection in it's audio output circuitry which would make it safe for output - but it should be OK.

Killyp
Nov 23, 2006, 05:59 PM
I think I have one of those lying around actually! Thanks! :D Completely forgot about that...

mkrishnan
Nov 23, 2006, 06:04 PM
I'm not 100% sure about this, but if that doesn't work, then just go to system preferences and pan hard left (or right? I forget which it is? but if you pan hard / 100% to one of the sides you should divert all audio to one channel). This should be fairly equivalent....

Killyp
Nov 24, 2006, 01:01 AM
Nah, all that seems to do is just filter out the right hand channel alltogether :(

Thanks for the help anyway. I'll try out that adapter later today...

zimv20
Nov 24, 2006, 09:09 AM
that's the wrong adpater -- it goes mono to stereo.

you'll need a cable that combines the L and R signals into a single mono signal. iow, it needs to be wired correctly. i'm not at home, so i don't have my Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook to look in, but if you can find one it'll have the correct wiring in there.

sycho
Nov 24, 2006, 08:13 PM
that's the wrong adpater -- it goes mono to stereo.

It is the correct adaptor, it would plug into the MacBook, then a 1/8" to 1/4" patch cable would goto the amp.

scottlinux
Nov 24, 2006, 09:52 PM
Software programs would let you do this. What software are you playing back the audio in? Heck even Audacity (free) will let you pan audio to the left channel only. What software do you have available?

zimv20
Nov 25, 2006, 08:34 AM
It is the correct adaptor
i read it that he wants to take the stereo out from his laptop to a mono in on a peavey amp. did i read that wrong? i just re-read the original message and i think it's a little ambiguous, but i'm still reading it the same way.

sycho
Nov 25, 2006, 08:45 AM
i read it that he wants to take the stereo out from his laptop to a mono in on a peavey amp. did i read that wrong? i just re-read the original message and i think it's a little ambiguous, but i'm still reading it the same way.

It is the correct adaptor, don't worry about it.

zimv20
Nov 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
boy, i think i ate too much turkey. :-)