View Full Version : The Mac Mini, what a great oppotunity

R.R.Mac
Nov 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
What do you all think of the mac mini at the moment,

cheap computer
small
nice looking

but CRAP.

Really who agrees with me here, there is a great market for the Mac Mini. What apple needs to do is make it better. not 2 GB's of memory, but 3 like the MBP. Bigger HD. 120 is not enough for a desktop really i have an iBook G4 30 GB HD and its not big enough. i have an external hard drive, 250 GB, 10 GB left.

They need to make the Mac mini better really more memory and more HD space.

They also need to upgrade from 1.83 GHZ to 2<.

Really i think that the Mac Mini is a great idea but apple need to improve on it greatly!

What are your idea's?

bartelby
Nov 24, 2006, 05:04 AM
Well my parents love theirs.
It's perfect for them.

Case-sensitive
Nov 24, 2006, 05:09 AM
It has its place. I bought and set one up for a colleague a little while ago, she's a switcher and there's no point in investing in anything bigger until she's ready - all she's using it for is writing, surfing, email and iTunes - give her a year or so and i'll bet she'll want an iMac. Does what it's designed to do and for less than £300.

robbieduncan
Nov 24, 2006, 05:11 AM
I have friends how have a PPC one as their only computer. They use iPhoto, email, browse the web, a little light iMovie work. It's perfect.

I have 2 PPC ones that I use as DVRs. They are perfect. I have no doubt the next one will support 3Gb of RAM. It may also sport a 200Gb drive option. You have to remember that it's charm is in it's size so it uses a laptop harddrive. These tend to be small...

Blue Velvet
Nov 24, 2006, 05:12 AM
3gb RAM? The whole point of it is that it's cheap and plugs a gap in Apple's range; it's not supposed to be an iMac or PowerMac replacement.

crazycat
Nov 24, 2006, 05:55 AM
If your thinking of getting a cheap mac that you can use for very light iLife, web browsing/emails and do school work its great of that.

netdog
Nov 24, 2006, 05:59 AM
It's due for an update that will no doubt come at MacWorld.

C2D - making the whole line 64-bit
Larger drive
Up to 3GB just like the MacBook

That should take care of your concerns.

MacSA
Nov 24, 2006, 06:04 AM
If your thinking of getting a cheap mac that you can use for very light iLife, web browsing/emails and do school work its great of that.

Why very Light iLife work? People have been using 1.2ghz PPC G4 processors for making movies for ages. I would think you can do considerably more on a 1.8 Core Duo

Dunepilot
Nov 24, 2006, 06:08 AM
I'm very happy with mine, and it's only a Core Solo model. All it needs is more RAM (and dare I say it, a dedicated graphics card, like the G4 models). If you need more storage, buy one of the excellent external firewire options. Its size/power consumption/lack of noise make it the perfect living room machine as well. None of that is going to change to incorporate a 3.5 inch hard drive any time soon.

robbieduncan
Nov 24, 2006, 06:14 AM
3gb RAM? The whole point of it is that it's cheap and plugs a gap in Apple's range; it's not supposed to be an iMac or PowerMac replacement.

I totally agree but the upper limit is likely to go to 3Gb as Apple will probably use the same core logic chipset they currently use in the MacBook. This should help their costs some too...

Markleshark
Nov 24, 2006, 06:22 AM

cheap computer
small
nice looking

but CRAP.

Really who agrees with me here, there is a great market for the Mac Mini. What apple needs to do is make it better. not 2 GB's of memory, but 3 like the MBP. Bigger HD. 120 is not enough for a desktop really i have an iBook G4 30 GB HD and its not big enough. i have an external hard drive, 250 GB, 10 GB left.

Really i think that the Mac Mini is a great idea but apple need to improve on it greatly!

What are your idea's?

Have you thought about buying a MacPro? :rolleyes:

Blue Velvet
Nov 24, 2006, 06:29 AM
I totally agree but the upper limit is likely to go to 3Gb as Apple will probably use the same core logic chipset they currently use in the MacBook. This should help their costs some too...

OK, fair enough. :)
I tend not to follow the technical minutiae of the Mini's evolution.

My point was that these machines are carefully positioned in the overall Mac range so that sales of one are not intended to cannibalise sales from another range, much like the iPods are carefully banded to provide something for everyone regardless of value-for-money arguments. In my view, for most people that the Mini is intended for, 120gb of disk space is colossal.

So it's as much about marketing and price-points as it is about the technology.

Jasonbot
Nov 24, 2006, 06:38 AM

cheap computer
small
nice looking

but CRAP.

What are your idea's?

Basically what you want is a headless iMac... like everyone else on this forum. It's not happening. Apple has the bottom, mid and high range computers. They tried a semi-upgradeable computer a looong time ago. The G4 cube was actually quite a failure:(

Markleshark
Nov 24, 2006, 06:45 AM
OK, fair enough. :)
I tend not to follow the technical minutiae of the Mini's evolution.

My point was that these machines are carefully positioned in the overall Mac range so that sales of one are not intended to cannibalise sales from another range, much like the iPods are carefully banded to provide something for everyone regardless of value-for-money arguments. In my view, for most people that the Mini is intended for, 120gb of disk space is colossal.

So it's as much about marketing and price-points as it is about the technology.

I wouldn't say it was 'colossal'

I have the 1.83 mini, with 80gig. It's more than what I need. I could do with more RAM, but hey. I use it for iTunes, Web Browsing and whatever else takes my fancy, so far so good. I love it. I bought it over the iMac because I'm stuck with the display the iMac has to offer. So far I have a 19" BenQ, when I can get a HD Monitor in a large size ill upgrade, for me that was the factor that made me go for the Mini. I didn't already have the stuff (Coming from eMac) but I was willing to spend the little extra to get what I wanted.

iW00t
Nov 24, 2006, 08:15 AM
Have you thought about buying a MacPro? :rolleyes:

So...

To access > 80GB of space on a Mac I need 4 processors to do it?

Talk about bloatware :rolleyes:

LeviG
Nov 24, 2006, 08:37 AM
I like the idea of a mac mini, I already have the monitor and high end pc etc and so dont need any all in one etc. I like it so much I will be getting one when they get upgraded (may as well wait till the new year at the very least :))

It's ideal as an "always on" machine, it uses lower power components than say a mac pro and is ideal for use as web browser, basic word processor etc. If you want more hard drive space theres plenty of mini style boxes for it :)

mkrishnan
Nov 24, 2006, 08:46 AM
Apple is so insane to pursue a strategy that has led them to be the only PC manufacturer to post desktop gains this past year... Of course it's easy to ignore cost and profitability and state that Apple should cram $300 or $400 more in hardware into the Mini. Or make it twice as big so it can hold more memory modules and a 3.5" drive. But the only reasoning for doing that is egotistical... you want it. It doesn't make sense for very many people other than you...just you.

wmmk
Nov 24, 2006, 09:02 AM

Wait, you can only get up to 2GB, not 3GB of RAM on a MacBook, right? Am I missing something here?

Jasonbot
Nov 24, 2006, 09:04 AM
Wait, you can only get up to 2GB, not 3GB of RAM on a MacBook, right? Am I missing something here?

2Gb, 2x1Gb sticks.
or one 2Gb stick and nothing.

Mernak
Nov 24, 2006, 11:07 AM
Basically what you want is a headless iMac

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The mini is meant as a low-end consumer machine, not a smaller version of the mac pro. The form factor is what really distinguishes it from other computers. A 3.5" drive is significantly larger and many people would not use the space, I know people who think that they have way too much stuff and it is only 15-20 Gigs including the OS. On a side note, how many people would actually notice a difference if there was 3GB ram on a mini, instead of 2, furthermore those who could notice the difference would much more likely be getting an iMac or Mac Pro for their work.

danny_w
Nov 24, 2006, 11:18 AM
As an entry-level Mac for a timid switcher, the mini is perfect. At least my G4 mini was what got me to try a Mac, and now I would never go back. If the cheapest Mac had been $999 (as was the iBook) I probably would never have switched. The mini, although not cheap, was cheap enough to get me to try a Mac (which I had always wanted to do but was put off by the price).

Markleshark
Nov 24, 2006, 11:59 AM
So...

1) You can get upto 160gig in the Mac Mini and the smallest you can get in the Mac Pro is 160... Not much of a gap there id think.
2) Only 2 processors, 4 cores! ;)

crazycat
Nov 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
Why very Light iLife work? People have been using 1.2ghz PPC G4 processors for making movies for ages. I would think you can do considerably more on a 1.8 Core Duo

Because you can get a Mac Pro :). I just mean that if you would be doing a lot of movie editing and use iPhoto a lot its best to use something more powerfull but your right ilife will work just fine.

balamw
Nov 24, 2006, 12:26 PM
1) You can get upto 160gig in the Mac Mini and the smallest you can get in the Mac Pro is 160... Not much of a gap there id think.
2) Only 2 processors, 4 cores! ;)
You can also hang any number of external FW/USB drives onto the Mini.

The lack of a mid-range headless is irking me more than usual these days as I can buy a Conroe based desktop from Dell for ~$1K, and just reuse my monitor SATA drives from my current Dell. But if I buy another Mac I'd have to get a 20" iMac for $1699 or go for the Mac Pro for $2500.

Ultimately I decided just to buy some RAM and a new GPU for my Dell and wait for Santa Rosa. :rolleyes:

B

Zwhaler
Nov 24, 2006, 12:33 PM
The main reason anyone has to buy a Mac Mini is the price. If they make it too good, then Apple will have to jack the price up in order to make a profit. So maybe A CPU bump, slight increase on the HD, but nothing too substantial unless you want it to be 100 or 200 dollars more. Another smart move by apple would be to lower the prices of they ACD's, so people will actually buy them when they get a Mini instead of some other knockoff brand.

K20
Nov 24, 2006, 05:56 PM
I agree with everyone else who has mentioned the price point and the fact that the Mac Mini plugs a gap in Apple's computer line-up.

I just wish that future versions of the Mac Mini would get rid of the Intel integrated graphics and step up a little bit to an integrated GeForce 6100/6150 solution

Shadow
Nov 24, 2006, 06:02 PM
So...

No....the Mac Mini can have a 120GB HD (I think, I can't check because the servers are getting hammered because of the sale), and anyway, what about the iMac?

TyPod
Nov 24, 2006, 06:45 PM
The Mac Mini is a great entry level mac...I can't wait until I get mine!

Macmadant
Nov 25, 2006, 01:34 PM
A dedicated graphics card nothing special perhaps a radeon mobility X1400 or lower even, or at the very least upgrade it with a x3000 intel one soon

SMM
Nov 25, 2006, 02:33 PM
The initial post reminded me of an anecdote from Annie Hall. It was two retired ladies at a nursing home complaining about the food. The first lady says, The food here is absolutely uneatable"! The other responds, "You are right Mabel, and the portions are far too small".

Calling the product "Crap", but then basing it on wanting more, has a certain irony to it. However, reading through the posts, once again we end up discussing the need for an intermediate sized, user-configurable workstation, which is not an iMac. I wonder how large this market really is? Apple has surely done considerable research on this.

I wonder what effect of having this type of offering would have on iMac sales? I doubt if anyone would see any incentive in just redistributing the sales you already have. No, a new product line would have to increase net sales to justify creating it.

I am never sure if I am straying off-topic, so I will quickly summarize. Building a customized product assembly plant is an expensive proposition (I have many years of manufacturing experience). A new product, such is often debated here, would be a major undertaking for Apple. If done right, it could very well be what is needed to punch through the 10% MS barrier.

balamw
Nov 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
A new product, such is often debated here, would be a major undertaking for Apple. If done right, it could very well be what is needed to punch through the 10% MS barrier.
Not if done "right" just like the eMac used to use the same logic board as the iBook (IIRC). The only thing I want is the logic board of an 24" iMac in a pizza box style (or other vertical) enclosure, so the only thing that would require any custom manufacture is the case. Everything else (optical drive, HDD, memory) is a standard module made by someone else.

B

Chef Medeski
Nov 25, 2006, 02:49 PM
Not if done "right" just like the eMac used to use the same logic board as the iBook (IIRC). The only thing I want is the logic board of an 24" iMac in a pizza box style (or other vertical) enclosure, so the only thing that would require any custom manufacture is the case. Everything else (optical drive, HDD, memory) is a standard module made by someone else.

B
Marketing, distributing, and managing a separate product line costs money. More complexity = more cost. Yet, Apple should really swallow some cost at this point to pay off some loyal customers after this transition. I mean they are the ones who stuck it through the last ten years....

balamw
Nov 25, 2006, 02:57 PM
Marketing, distributing, and managing a separate product line costs money.
True, but those costs, as well as the R&D costs, are usually built into the pricing of the product.

It all depends on if the business case makes sense.

B

FadeToBlack
Nov 26, 2006, 02:59 AM
As others have said, the Mac mini is perfect for what it is - a low-end desktop Mac. It's quick enough for what I do, has a small form factor, which is perfect for me, since I don't have much desk space, and is virtually silent. I love mine!

pr3cisi0n
Nov 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
how much do you think a mac mini would go for if it had core 2 duo(2.15ghz) 1X1gb of memory upgraded? I'm going to "enhance" mine soon...

APPLENEWBIE
Nov 27, 2006, 02:01 PM
My first mac (purchased 15 months ago) was a 1.42 g4. I have bought three more new and one used macs since then for family/business. Although the intel machines (macbook / imac) are no doubt faster, the g4 is plenty fast for normal use and is stable as a rock. I think I actually am more impressed with the G4 ibook and mini than the intel machines, which don't seem to be quite as stable (my perception anyway... ) I think apple would be wise to keep the price low on the mini as a 'gateway drug' for mac switchers. I felt comfortable switching with a mini basically because it was cheap and I figured that if I later felt it was a mistake to go mac... not a lot invested/lost to find out.

danny_w
Nov 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
My first mac (purchased 15 months ago) was a 1.42 g4. I have bought three more new and one used macs since then for family/business. Although the intel machines (macbook / imac) are no doubt faster, the g4 is plenty fast for normal use and is stable as a rock. I think I actually am more impressed with the G4 ibook and mini than the intel machines, which don't seem to be quite as stable (my perception anyway... ) I think apple would be wise to keep the price low on the mini as a 'gateway drug' for mac switchers. I felt comfortable switching with a mini basically because it was cheap and I figured that if I later felt it was a mistake to go mac... not a lot invested/lost to find out.
My story exactly, and I agree with you completely. I would have never switched if the mini had not been available.

crazycat
Nov 27, 2006, 09:58 PM
Sometimes i like to to imagine i am a giant and my mac mini (which i dont use anymore) is a mac pro.

The size factor cant be very important for many people.

SMM
Nov 28, 2006, 12:20 AM

B

So, all you are changing is the case, not any custom configuration other than what is offered in choice A, B & C?

VoodooDaddy
Nov 30, 2006, 06:26 AM
I think the minis price is dangerously close to going off the cliff.

What did the original minis go for? There were 2 models, was it 399 and 499 or was it 499 and 599? Can't remember. I do know at the time I was seriously interested in getting one because the investment was relatively cheap. I wanted to play around with a mac because I had never used one and wanted to see what it was all about. But before the minis the investment to just "play" with a mac was out of the question.

Now fast forward to today. I spent 799 on mine in june. I had to have the superdrive so the 599 model was not an option. My last windows box was about 3.5yrs old and it needed replaced. Up to that point I had built my own stuff but I just didn't want to take the time to research my hardware options, order from 5 different stores to get all the parts, then put it all together and have to troubleshoot in case there was a problem.

Since the intel macs were out this was a very big selling point. But I gotta tell you, 799, for no more than you get, was almost enough to turn me away and back to another windows machine. In fact I walked out of the apple store after going in to buy the thing. I started thinking "799 can build a heck of a powerful computer" since there were things I could still use from my old machine.

I did end up at Frys about a week later and just decided to go for it. The more I thought about it the less likely I was to buy it. And fortunately my salesman had been a mac user for years.

I'm happy with my mini, and I'd buy it again. But I think 799 is at the upper limit on the price point. I'd like to see about 100 slashed off the price.

EM87
Nov 30, 2006, 06:44 AM
VoodooDaddy,

I'm starting to feel the same way as you except I have not got my Mac yet. With $1500AUD (iMac price) I could build myself a Core 2 Duo machine with a nVidia 7600GT graphics card, 1.5Gb RAM, a 500Gb HDD, 16x duel layer DVD burner and have some money spare for other little extra's like card reader etc. where for that much I can get a basic iMac with Core 2 Duo CPU, Intel graphics (we all know how good they are:rolleyes: ), 512Mb RAM, a 160Gb HDD and a 24x combo drive. The only reason why I would get a mac is for OS X, the hardware prices of them is horrible when it comes to value for money. If I didn't dislike Windows and Linux there would be no way in hell I would get a Mac.

countach
Nov 30, 2006, 07:47 AM
VoodooDaddy,

I'm starting to feel the same way as you except I have not got my Mac yet. With $1500AUD (iMac price) I could build myself a Core 2 Duo machine with a nVidia 7600GT graphics card, 1.5Gb RAM, a 500Gb HDD, 16x duel layer DVD burner and have some money spare for other little extra's like card reader etc. where for that much I can get a basic iMac with Core 2 Duo CPU, Intel graphics (we all know how good they are:rolleyes:), 512Mb RAM, a 160Gb HDD and a 24x combo drive. The only reason why I would get a mac is for OS X, the hardware prices of them is horrible when it comes to value for money. If I didn't dislike Windows and Linux there would be no way in hell I would get a Mac.

Ok we all know that the Intel graphics is nothing special, but what are you folks doing on your Mac minis where you are thinking "This 3D rendering is not fast enough"?

bradallen
Dec 1, 2006, 08:45 AM
Some people must be very picky when it comes down to speed.
i can have my itunes running and playing music, call of duty 2 running, and adium running and not have a bit of lag.

and ill still have free ram left over (i have a gig) and i'm running a 1.66ghz core duo 2.

i also do a lot of photoshop work and use macromedia software. i usually have dreamweaver, freehand, flash, and CS2 open all at once and only experince lag when saving, but at that point in not too worried about it.

QCassidy352
Dec 1, 2006, 09:03 AM
I agree with the OP. The mini is by far the worst value in apple's line up right now. I really want to like it, but what you get compared to what you pay is just horrible. Drop the price, or make the specs competitive.

rmhop81
Dec 1, 2006, 09:49 AM

cheap computer
small
nice looking

but CRAP.

What are your idea's?

the audience it focuses on isn't someone that needs huge hard drive space or a blazing fast computer. it's meant as an entry level to learning mac or just a desktop you casually surf on. If you need speed and space get an imac or get some externals. it's basically a laptop without a display. i have a mini and an imac but i only have my mini to hook up to my tv i don't have it for all my desktop needs....that's why i got an imac bc it had better options. the mini is basic.....if u start adding crazy specs on it it willl be the same as the imac but no display included. I think the mini specs are fine for what it is used for.

Yvan256
Dec 1, 2006, 10:00 AM
So, all you are changing is the case, not any custom configuration other than what is offered in choice A, B & C?

If you take all the internal components of the iMac and put them inside a different case without the screen, you're offering the "headless iMac" at a lower price. Imagine the specs of the 24" iMac but at the price of the GMA950 17" iMac.

I'd buy that! I already have a monitor, mouse and keyboard from my PC, which I now use with my Mac mini, which I could continue to use with that "headless iMac". Steve presented the Mac mini as a "keep your current peripherals and switch to Mac", but now Mac mini users are kinda stuck with Mac mini or Mac Pro as upgrade choices.

Of course, there's always the fact that a keyboard and mouse don't cost that much, that our current monitor can become the 2nd display for the iMac, and all other peripherals will just continue to work... Maybe put the Mac mini in the living room...

The more I think about it, the more I think Steve could very well announce a software package to convert a Mac mini into an "iTV" in january... :D

Sam*
Dec 1, 2006, 10:41 AM
It Just needs to be a lot cheaper

colema01
Dec 1, 2006, 11:16 AM
The Mini is a dream come true ever since the switch to Intel. You can buy the computer for cheap (especially refrub) and swap all the internal parts. You can upgrade to a 2.33 Core 2 Duo (mine is a 2.16) in a matter of minutes and pick up some RAM from Crucial. Slap on a 500GB LaCie Mini HD, Belkin DVI to HDMI cable (to the 60'' Sony Grand Wega :D ), and a set of Bose Companion 5's and you got yourself a sweet little setup.

rneglia
Dec 1, 2006, 11:37 AM
I just got a mac mini. i'm making music and movies on it and the thing is ruling. don't get caught up in the tech stuff, people.

make your movie!!!

MacPanda
Dec 1, 2006, 11:51 AM
Hey i have had a a macmini for a while and i have to say it is a really cool little machine - i used it for all my stuff even run cinema 4d on it (+ all design work for college) and do some high level renderings it works really well and sure it may not be the fastest thing on the market it sure is well worth the cash and really affordable for whats it worth and a good entrance into the mac space - and it will live under my tv to play videos :P now if only i could get rid on the flatron crt and get a nice lcd.

rafifreak00
Dec 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
As many of you already agreed, the Mac mini was meant to be an entry-level Mac for Windows switchers, or just a new Mac user in general. It's meant to be an inexpensive Mac for around $500-700 with low/medium capacity, (depending on how you look at it) and lower functionality specs compared to the iMac and Mac Pro.

The Mac mini was and still is, not meant to run various applications simultaneously.
If you're going to invest in putting 3GB in a Mac mini, upping the internal hard drive, and bringing up the processor speed somehow, I automatically assume that you're not working off a budget, you're just looking to make a maxed out Mac mini... you might just as well get a 17" or 20" iMac, to be honest.

But that's just how I look at it...

bembol
Dec 1, 2006, 02:50 PM
It is a great! The point of it is to get New Users...most would be light that current specs are more than enough! If they are happy (like me) and I'm sure most are they will either make Upgrades or replace with with say Mac Book Pro and/or an iMac.

I started out with the Mini (G4) and after just 2 years guess what? I sold it, upgraded to 2.0GHz 20" iMac & Mac Book (Intel Core DUO)... this past week I picked up my 3rd Mac...2.0GHz 17" iMac Intel Core 2 DUO. I would've went with the 20" but this will be hooked up to my new 37" Sharp AQUOS LC-37D0-U 1080p LCD HDTV! :cool:

Yvan256
Dec 1, 2006, 03:10 PM
[...] this past week I picked up my 3rd Mac...2.0GHz 17" iMac Intel Core 2 DUO. I would've went with the 20" but this will be hooked up to my new 37" Sharp AQUOS LC-37D0-U 1080p LCD HDTV! :cool:

You bought an iMac to connect it to a 37" TV? Why not get a Mac mini? :confused:

devincco
Dec 1, 2006, 03:49 PM
IMHO, I think the mini is too expensive for what it has to offer. $799 can build/buy a pretty nice Windows desktop. Yes the mini has its place, but Apple really needs to lower the price of it if it is their entry-level desktop. I think if Apple were to lower the price of the mini down $100 - $200, then it would be more competitive with other manufactures lower end PCs and help convert more switchers. That would be hard though as the mini is basically a laptop without a screen, and laptop parts are more expensive then the standard desktop parts. The PPC mini was priced very nicely, but since they’ve moved to Intel the price has gone up.

They should also introduce a mid range desktop. For my needs, I personally would love to see a mid-range desktop (a.k.a headless iMac), as I would like something with a tad more power than the mini, something with dedicated graphics, a larger HD and a machine that uses real DDR2 RAM. I don’t need the amount of power that a Mac Pro provides, plus the price of RAM for the Mac Pro is ridiculous, and the Mac Pro won’t fit in my desk. Now some of you would say get an iMac. I don’t like all-in-one designs cause if something breaks, then the whole thing is pretty much down until it gets repaired. Plus I have a nice 20” LCD that I am very happy with. Right now, my options are pretty limited. That’s why for now I’ve stayed with a Windows PC hoping, just hoping that at Mac World 07 they’ll introduce something new that will fit my needs. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed on that one.

Now some people will say a mid-range desktop will probably cannibalize sales of one model over the other. You may have a point there, but you’re also missing the possibility of a new group of users that could use the mid-range desktop. Also, there are people that will still prefer the sleek minimalist look of an iMac or mini, so they’ll buy those. Plus you’ll still have the Professionals that will buy a Pro cause they actually need that much power and the people that buy it just cause they can. I think by introducing a mid-range desktop that will definitely help push Apple up past that 10% mark.

Back to the mini… My Dad was looking for a new PC. All he does is surf the net, occasional word document and very light photo editing, burn CD’s, etc. He doesn’t need a lot of storage space as he only has about 10 – 15GB of pics and mp3’s and stuff. He want’s to start playing with something like garage band and iMovie and iDVD for his home videos. The mini is the perfect solution for him. But at $799 to get the model with the DVD-RW in it, it was more than he was willing to spend. He ended up buying a HP desktop for about $500 after rebates that suites his needs perfectly. The specs were just a little shy of the mini as far as processor speed, but everything else was pretty comparable, if not a little better (HD size and total RAM). We just needed to add a FW card to it and he was all set. He even said that if the mini was about $100 - $150 cheaper, then he would have spent the little bit extra and got it. Another sale missed by Apple.

Meemoo
Dec 7, 2006, 01:04 PM
$499 was the sweet spot - and I can't believe the intel one is $599 and $799 - especially since the extra $200 isn't justified.
I want only Macs, I love Macs - but there are too many games coming out that I want to play. My 20" Intel iMac is a great Machine and I've decided to sell it to my girlfriend for around $900 come March.

So I am faced with a few different options. (I want a new portable).

So there is the Black Macbook for $1499 - $1774 with the 160GB and 2GB Ram. With this I could use DVI to hook it up to an external monitor that I'd share with a midrange PC that I will build for around $800.

Or I can get a Macbook Pro come March - pray for a new video card that is DX10 and an 800MHz bus and spend $2599(160GB hard drive). This way I'd have a FW800 port.

NekoIan
Dec 7, 2006, 03:47 PM
Yea you can buy a much more powerful PC for the price. But what you can't buy is that small a form factor and power for the price.

Both these PC's come with much worse processors as their base model
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2313

In the end, I wanted an OS X based PC. I also wanted it to have a decent size HD and 2GB of RAM. I wasn't interested in the 17" iMac since I already have a 19" LCD. A 20" iMac would have been nice but 2GB of RAM puts it quite a bit higher than the Mac Mini. I also like the fact that the Mini is pin-compatible with Core 2 and I will be upgrading the CPU in the future.

iancapable
Dec 8, 2006, 12:09 AM

cheap computer
small
nice looking

but CRAP.

What are your idea's?

For a small pc that sits on someones desk I think the mac mini is great. If you want a bigger hd go buy a NAS (Network attached storage) an external HD or the extra drive specifically designed for the mini.

If you want 3GB of ram you're wasting your time with it and might as well get a Mac Pro or an iMac.

Hummin
Dec 8, 2006, 05:34 AM
lots of people are always saying : "mac mini don't worth buy a iMac instead!"

tecnically it's right but if someone don't like to have the screen embedded with the computer itself ? Many people , me too, don't like the concept of having a screen embedded on the pc.

so for us there are only two spare choice : mac mini maxed out or mac pro.

if apple puts a core duo2 proc on the updated mini I'm thinking to get it instead of a mac pro. I'll save enough and think that in my case (photoshop and lightroom usage) there will be no more that 10% of sensible performace loss.

I read that mac pro multi processor put out it's prower with video editing and 3d work so I think a maxed out mini will work on my semi professional photography workflow.

what you think ?

xfiftyfour
Dec 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
lots of people are always saying : "mac mini don't worth buy a iMac instead!"

tecnically it's right but if someone don't like to have the screen embedded with the computer itself ? Many people , me too, don't like the concept of having a screen embedded on the pc.

so for us there are only two spare choice : mac mini maxed out or mac pro.

if apple puts a core duo2 proc on the updated mini I'm thinking to get it instead of a mac pro. I'll save enough and think that in my case (photoshop and lightroom usage) there will be no more that 10% of sensible performace loss.

I read that mac pro multi processor put out it's prower with video editing and 3d work so I think a maxed out mini will work on my semi professional photography workflow.

what you think ?
It's not really a matter of performance.. it's the cost versus machine ratio that makes the mini not worth it. You have integrated graphics, a small HD (and because it's a 2.5" drive, it's expensive to upgrade), lesser processor, less RAM.. you also have to pay for an external display and keyboard and mouse, whereas the iMac comes with all of those..

The mini would be a great option if it were less expensive.. but at $600/$800 plus the cost of upgrades and peripherals... it's just not reasonable.

For your use, sure the mini will suffice.. but for how long? There's no room for expansion, and it's already a lacking computer as is...

Hummin
Dec 8, 2006, 10:32 AM
For your use, sure the mini will suffice.. but for how long? There's no room for expansion, and it's already a lacking computer as is...

so it's better moving on a minimized mac pro ? (2x2ghz and 1GB or ram) instead of a full 2GB and 160GB HD mini ?

the mac pro has more power but ( I need it ?) and also goes more hot, and it's more noisy than the mini ....

the lack of a middle power monitorless mac is a real problem for my situation....
:confused:

xfiftyfour
Dec 8, 2006, 10:42 AM
so it's better moving on a minimized mac pro ? (2x2ghz and 1GB or ram) instead of a full 2GB and 160GB HD mini ?

the mac pro has more power but ( I need it ?) and also goes more hot, and it's more noisy than the mini ....

the lack of a middle power monitorless mac is a real problem for my situation....
:confused:

Yes, it IS better to move on a minimized mac pro than a maxed mini, IMO. The mac pro, even minimized, has a crapload more power than the mini. The processor alone.. god. But besides that, the expandability is what's key. In 2 years your mac mini, that you'll have paid $1400+ to have maxed out plus peripherals, will be seriously long in the tooth. The Mac Pro, that you'll have paid $600 or so more for, will still be going strong.. and if it needs a lift? Easy. Add more RAM to the 6 slots you'll have available.. add a HD to one of the 3 free bays.. swap out the processor if you really want a boost... can you do any of that with the mini? Nope. Instead, if you want a "lift" you'll have to buy a new computer entirely - which will be much more expensive than just having dished out the $600 or so now.

I agree, though, I do think Apple needs a middle computer that is monitor less.. but from the options that ARE available, the mini is a rip.. and Apple is making money off of people like you, who don't want the iMac but don't need the Mac Pro.

Hummin
Dec 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
Yes, it IS better to move on a minimized mac pro than a maxed mini, IMO. The mac pro, even minimized, has a crapload more power than the mini. The processor alone..

yes your thoughts are right... now I'll wait since january to see if apple will release something...

1GB on the mac pro 2x2Ghz will be enough to start ?
(ram is expensive on mac pro...)

xfiftyfour
Dec 8, 2006, 11:01 AM
yes your thoughts are right... now I'll wait since january to see if apple will release something...

1GB on the mac pro 2x2Ghz will be enough to start ?
(ram is expensive on mac pro...)

Yeah, absolutely. I run the Adobe suite on my MBP, which is significantly slower than the Mac Pro, with only 1.25GB of RAM and it's pleeeenty fast. These things will only get faster, too, when Adobe releases CS3.

4JNA
Dec 8, 2006, 11:04 AM
..Add more RAM ...add a HD ...swap out the processor if you really want a boost... can you do any of that with the mini? Nope.

wrong.

my mini is a core 2 duo @ 2ghz, 2gb of memory, and a 500gb sata 3.5" hard drive. still waiting on the controller for the raid 1 firewire setup (2 x 750gb).

it's plenty fast. :)

Hummin
Dec 8, 2006, 11:07 AM
wrong.
my mini is a core 2 duo @ 2ghz, 2gb of memory, and a 500gb sata 3.5" hard rive. still waiting on the controller for the raid 1 firewire setup (2 x 750gb).

hehe a mini with core duo 2 and a 3,5 HD will be very nice from apple... but... I think apple will only upgrade the core duo2 (and not sure too) .

by the way I'm not able to open the mini to upgrade.
I'm a software engineer not a electonic ones ;)

xfiftyfour
Dec 8, 2006, 11:11 AM
wrong.

my mini is a core 2 duo @ 2ghz, 2gb of memory, and a 500gb sata 3.5" hard drive. still waiting on the controller for the raid 1 firewire setup (2 x 750gb).

Okay, so you can rig a mini if you want.. but is it worth it? You can swap out processors, yes, but processors aren't too cheap.. and you certainly can't put in a quad xeon in there.. Plus, 2gbs is the biggest you can go.. which is fine for now, but not in two years.

I still think the minis are a waste of money unless you absolutely cannot go with anything else.

4JNA
Dec 8, 2006, 11:20 AM
but is it worth it?

yes. try to fit a macpro on the shelf next to the tv. plus, this is silent.

...You can swap out processors, yes, but processors aren't too cheap.. and you certainly can't put in a quad xeon in there...

don't need a xeon. go find a macpro xeon upgrade if you want to talk expensive... :eek:

...2gbs is the biggest you can go.. which is fine for now, but not in two years.

hardware/firmware limitation that won't be a problem in two years.

my only point is that you are missing the point. the mini can do things that no other computer, or mac for that matter, can. i agree that it's not for everyone, but neither is the mbp, or mb, or macpro....

NekoIan
Dec 8, 2006, 11:25 AM
I still think the minis are a waste of money unless you absolutely cannot go with anything else.

Na, you're forgetting that the mini can be re-purposed to live in the living room with your tv. That's what I'll do with mine when I get my next Mac desktop.

I would certainly hate putting a Mac Pro in the living room. That beast is GIGANTIC!!!

xfiftyfour
Dec 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
Na, you're forgetting that the mini can be re-purposed to live in the living room with your tv. That's what I'll do with mine when I get my next Mac desktop.

I would certainly hate putting a Mac Pro in the living room. That beast is GIGANTIC!!!
who the heck is going to pay $1300 for a tv computer? that's a ridiculous argument. besides, the iTV will be out by then..

and, at any rate, I was talking to someone who wasn't looking for a media center solution.. he wants this as his regular computer... and IMO, paying to max out a mini is just a silly waste of money considering what you get in return.

Mgkwho
Dec 8, 2006, 03:32 PM
Does anyone think Apple will integrate iTV directly into the mac mini?

I mean, there'd still be the iTV by itself. But would they also include it in the mini?

It wouldn't be that hard, I mean, most of the size of iTV is due to its power brick and hard drive being inside the thing. So put everything else in a mac mini and it would be great!! Of course, the power brick would be outside, but hey- some people already treat the mini like iTV so it might work!

-=|Mgkwho

NekoIan
Dec 8, 2006, 03:39 PM
who the heck is going to pay $1300 for a tv computer?

Which part of "re-purpose" don't you understand? :rolleyes:

dpaanlka
Dec 8, 2006, 06:09 PM
The Mac Mini also has an awesome upgrade path... you can put a Core 2 Duo into them and sell the original Core Duo on eBay. I'm buying one.

rmhop81
Dec 8, 2006, 06:25 PM
who the heck is going to pay $1300 for a tv computer? that's a ridiculous argument. besides, the iTV will be out by then..
it's all a matter of opinion really...maybe some people view that spending $2500 on one single laptop is a complete waste of money....i love my mac mini.. couldn'tbe a better choice for my $2500 TV/computer.

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/705/rebel013il6sm0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

xfiftyfour
Dec 8, 2006, 06:35 PM
Which part of "re-purpose" don't you understand? :rolleyes:

wow, 6 posts in and already *trying* to insult.

it's all a matter of opinion really...maybe some people view that spending $2500 on one single laptop is a complete waste of money....i love my mac mini.. couldn'tbe a better choice for my $2500 TV/computer.

1. resize. please.
2. looking at the specs of your mac mini, you certainly did not spend anywhere near $1300 on it. closer to $600. that's more than half the number I threw out.. you bought a baseline mac mini as a media center. fine, that's great. but what I was talking about was in regards to someone looking to max out a top of the line mini, which would amount to more than $1300. then someone else tried saying that it would be worth it because you could eventually stick it under your tv and all would be justified. big difference between the two scenarios.

rmhop81
Dec 8, 2006, 11:02 PM
wow, 6 posts in and already *trying* to insult.

1. resize. please.
2. looking at the specs of your mac mini, you certainly did not spend anywhere near $1300 on it. closer to $600. that's more than half the number I threw out.. you bought a baseline mac mini as a media center. fine, that's great. but what I was talking about was in regards to someone looking to max out a top of the line mini, which would amount to more than $1300. then someone else tried saying that it would be worth it because you could eventually stick it under your tv and all would be justified. big difference between the two scenarios.

1. it's fine how it is.
2. i paid $800 when it was brand new. but again it's a matter of opinion. for example...your MBP i'm not sure the price you paid but i'm betting since it's a MBP it's a pretty hefty pricetag. if you upgrade anything on it...it gets out of control for most users. you may think it's a great buy, but it's really really expensive for one computer. for $2400 you're not even getting the maxed out MBP.....that's retardedly pricey for one computer. it better being doing crazy stuff and be my personal robot for that price.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 9, 2006, 02:45 AM

Well, it'll last for over a year and counting. I got my G4 Mini a month after it came out (pre-tiger) and it's still working great. Right now it's hooked up to my TV in my dorm as a DVD player/iPod feeder, but it's still going. I can't wait to get back home so I can hook it up and use OS X instead of the windows laptop I use at college. I can still do DVD's and IM people, and unlike XP, OS X doesn't slow with age, so chances are I'll be able to use my mini until the day DVD's, USB 2.0, Wireless G, BT, and S-video connections on TV's become obsolete. Not bad for $579.

motoxpress
Dec 9, 2006, 02:52 AM
There is more to the mini than being cheap. It is small, silent and has some really great software with it. Comparing it to a PC is pointless because of OS X and all the iLife apps and others.

-mx

OdduWon
Dec 9, 2006, 03:03 AM
the mini sould get interesting with the release of the itv. new customers are going to want a cheap computer as a itv server. and if they can use itv to use their Mini on their tv like a regularcomputer, we may have a nintendo wii like revolution of computing on our hands. apple is already headed down the road of online content with ITMS, .Mac, podcasting, and iweb so with contenders in the online market place like sony,M$ and nintendo ,apple will have to work their design genius to bring their media experience to the people in better ways than the game crowd.

the mac mini is a great idea for a computer. it only lacks the focus of apple to turn it in to something cool. lets hope we see a MINI revolution:p

rstorm
Dec 9, 2006, 06:08 AM
The Mini fits it market very well. Speed even on the ppc version is good for basic computing. The newer ones have even better speed. It will get updated as time goes on as all computers do.

danny_w
Dec 9, 2006, 11:25 AM
I really get amused hearing people talking about how "pricey" a computer is today, whether it be a maxed out mini or a MBP or a MP or whatnot. I remember the first IBM PC that I ever saw at a company where I worked at the time. They had just ordered it new, and including the base PC (not even an AT - no HDD!) and 640k RAM (that's right - 640K!), two 5 1/4" floppy drives, a keyboard, and a monochrome monitor (I think it was 14" or something like that) the price tag was over $5000. And that was in 1981 dollars, which would be worth much more today (probably between $10K-$20K). Now look at any computer on the market today and tell me it is pricey.

xfiftyfour
Dec 9, 2006, 11:44 AM
1. it's fine how it is.
2. i paid $800 when it was brand new. but again it's a matter of opinion. for example...your MBP i'm not sure the price you paid but i'm betting since it's a MBP it's a pretty hefty pricetag. if you upgrade anything on it...it gets out of control for most users. you may think it's a great buy, but it's really really expensive for one computer. for $2400 you're not even getting the maxed out MBP.....that's retardedly pricey for one computer. it better being doing crazy stuff and be my personal robot for that price.

1. You can't even compare a MBP to a mini and their price tags. Laptops are DEFINITELY not worth it unless you need portability. Everyone knows that. Granted, I got mine for $1600, so it's a good deal comparatively (to the regular price), but not in general.. BUT, being a student, I really had no choice but to get a laptop.

2. I'm not really sure what your point is anyways? Even at 800, that's drastically different than 1300. And furthermore, you were in the same boat as me and a laptop - were you getting the best bang for your buck? Absolutely not. But it was the computer that served your media center needs because of its small size. So you bought it. The guy I was talking to isn't looking to hook his mini up to a TV, he's looking for it to be his main computer. To max out a mini is just silly, IMO. If you look at the price versus what you get ratio, it's pretty obvious.

balamw
Dec 9, 2006, 11:57 AM
the price tag was over $5000. And that was in 1981 dollars
For many years, the computer you really wanted was always right around $5K, yet at the same time back in '81 you could get a C64 or Sinclair for ~$100. Why does it seem so hard to make a $100 computer these days? OLPC is trying, but has not been very successful... I guess the PS2, Gamecube and XBox are today's equivalents, but they're not as functional as the old $100 computers...

IMHO the big problem with the Mini now is that the 1.83 GHz version is $799 and for $100 more you can get a refurb 1.83 GHz MB or 17" iMac, both of which are a much better value.

B

SMM
Dec 9, 2006, 12:21 PM
I really get amused hearing people talking about how "pricey" a computer is today, whether it be a maxed out mini or a MBP or a MP or whatnot. I remember the first IBM PC that I ever saw at a company where I worked at the time. They had just ordered it new, and including the base PC (not even an AT - no HDD!) and 640k RAM (that's right - 640K!), two 5 1/4" floppy drives, a keyboard, and a monochrome monitor (I think it was 14" or something like that) the price tag was over $5000. And that was in 1981 dollars, which would be worth much more today (probably between $10K-$20K). Now look at any computer on the market today and tell me it is pricey.

That brings back old memories! The first IBM PC I used was pure rev 1. It had 128K RAM and a single 128K single density floppy - no clock or anything like that. You had to put the OS disk in to boot it. Then you removed it and put in your application disk. Whenever you wanted to 'save' your work, you removed the floppy again, put in the data disk, saved it, then put the application disk back in. If you had any crash, you had to begin again, starting from the beginning. I thought I had died and gone to heaven after we upgraded to an AST card (yep, that is where they started); it had a battery, clock, and an additional 256K of ram. We also installed two of the new 360K double-sided floppy drives, and the new DOS 2.0 which could read them. Later we added the IOmega Bernoulli box. It had (2) 10MB removable cartridges. All told, this system cost nearly $7000!

The cost for technology today is an incredible value. The Mini definitely has an undiscovered place in the business world. I do not know how many of you are familiar with thin-client computing. Essentially, a thin-client is an X-terminal, dumb-terminal, or disk-less workstation. They have become very popular. They basically run a remote session through Unix, 3720 or Citrix.

My company run Citrix. We have experimented with Wyse and HP thin-clients. These machines boot to Win XP Embedded shell. You can install some drivers and a couple small apps. They are strictly VGA, 4 USB 2.0, 10/100 Ethernet. The Wyse has a cheap keyboard and roller mouse. It does not have firewire or wireless. They cost about $500-$600.

For roughly the same price, I can score an entry-level Mini. The Mini gives me so many more options and I am actually deploying a computer. What is more, my users love them. I just wish they came standard with 1 MB.

If you are an IT Manager reading this, and are using thin-clients, you really owe it to yourself to look at this solution. In fact, if you are in a Citrix environment and using standard desktops, this is still a great way to go. Citrix is running your legacy apps, Office Suite and Windows proprietary software. Citrix client actually runs better on the Macs than the Windows machines.

Jowl
Dec 9, 2006, 01:16 PM
I'll be buying (another) Mac mini as a media PC for me new (1st) house.

I have a G4 based one that will sit upstairs and be a dvd player/DVR for the bedroom. The new Mini one will be for the main room and I'll use frontrow initially for the "10 foot interface"

I'd settle for the lower end mini but I want a DVD burner - why isn't it an option in the UK store ? I'll be adding RAM to 1gb.

It would be nice to have C2D but I think price is more important. TV will be recorded to the internal drive but moved to a Server if I'm keeping it.

For me the mini is ideal for the above. Building a quiet, small PC would cost a similar amount and be more hassle IMO.

NekoIan
Dec 9, 2006, 04:24 PM
It would be nice to have C2D but I think price is more important. TV will be recorded to the internal drive but moved to a Server if I'm keeping it.

Keep in mind that the Mini is upgradeable to a C2D (pin compatible). When the C2D prices (in particular the T7200) drop below $200, I'll be doing that.

4JNA
Dec 10, 2006, 12:05 AM
...I got mine for $1600 ...BUT, being a student...

imac and a used ibook would have been a better choice, and would have cost less. and you would have ended up with a laptop that you could hold on your lap without oven mits :eek:

...the price tag was over $5000.

yeah baby, run to the 'shack' for all your computer needs!

...Citrix client actually runs better on the Macs than the Windows machines.

everything runs better on a mac :) well, except firefox...:(

Keep in mind that the Mini is upgradeable to a C2D (pin compatible). When the C2D prices (in particular the T7200) drop below $200, I'll be doing that.

that's what i did, without all that waiting for a drop bit... works really well.

xfiftyfour
Dec 10, 2006, 12:41 PM
imac and a used ibook would have been a better choice, and would have cost less. and you would have ended up with a laptop that you could hold on your lap without oven mits :eek:

er. no. maybe a better choice for you, but not for me. i need to be able to grab my computer and go, and still have that computer powerful enough to handle everything i throw at it... the iBook? yeah.. no thanks. crap video card, not widescreen, slow, ugly...

and the heat issue, btw, is overexaggerated..i've never had a problem having my lappy on my lap.

NekoIan
Dec 10, 2006, 01:14 PM
everything runs better on a mac :) well, except firefox...:(

Yea what's up with that? Really slow. I may have to switch to Safari which will suck because my work Windows and laptop Windows all sync bookmarks via Firefox Google sync.:(

MacsAttack
Dec 10, 2006, 05:00 PM

Kind of the route I went too. Ran Adobe CS2 fine. Got Lightwave running on it. Managed to switch over just about all the apps I needed to the OSX platform.

When I ended up with 1.5 TB of external storage and a DTV receiver hanging off it I decided it was time to get something a little bigger though... My new Mac Pro is a great machine, but I still consider the Mini to be one of the best machines I've ever owned (and I've gone through a lot of them over the years).

Now it it spending its time insidiously introducing the rest of the famly to the joys of OS X and iLife so I don't have to waste time supporting their Windows systems.;)

G5power
Dec 11, 2006, 09:55 AM
4JNA - The Tandy 5000 is kind of an extreme example since that was a high end Micro Channel system. I remember the Tandy line from that era - the 5000 was usually only displayed at a few of the larger volume computer centers.

The systems that were much more common were the Tandy 1000 series. If I remember correctly I had a Tandy 1000 TX with 768KB of Ram and a 20 MB hard drive. Also a nifty 3.5" floppy drive. Nothing like CGA graphics driving a huge 14 inch color monitor. :)

The other crazy thing from that time was the price for printers. Remember the price of 9 and 24 pin dot matrix printers?