PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 vs MacBook




cmm
Nov 26, 2006, 11:23 AM
Okay, I can get a stock macbook from the refurbed store for 1000 shipped or I can get a 1.25ghz 1.25gb ram 160gb hdd 1280x800ish res 15" powerbook g4 for 900 shipped.

If you were me, what would you do? 95% of the time I running adium, word, firefox, itunes, macirrsi, and textedit. The other 5% is to run mathematica or matlab.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not interested in the mbp because I am going to buy a 23" ACD.



Ugg
Nov 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
Okay, I can get a stock macbook from the refurbed store for 1000 shipped or I can get a 1.25ghz 1.25gb ram 160gb hdd 1280x800ish res 15" powerbook g4 for 900 shipped.

If you were me, what would you do? 95% of the time I running adium, word, firefox, itunes, macirrsi, and textedit. The other 5% is to run mathematica or matlab.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not interested in the mbp because I am going to buy a 23" ACD.

The $100 difference is not enough to justify buying the PB. Get the MB, you'll be much happier. You'll also get a year's warranty with the MB and can also buy Applecare if you want it.

I have a 1.5 Ghz PB and I love it but it's not nearly as snappy as a Macbook.

cmm
Dec 1, 2006, 08:32 PM
Any other opinions please?

The MacBook just dropped to 849$ with a combo drive or 899 with the superdrive.

The main disadvantage I see is the ram. The extra HDD space of the powerbook would be nice as well.

Thanks.

clevin
Dec 1, 2006, 08:55 PM
you can buy a 3rd party 1G memory for ~$100.
mb has better performance, and better future.

cmm
Dec 1, 2006, 08:59 PM
Where do you find good deals on RAM? Is it hard to install yourself?

macjay
Dec 1, 2006, 09:01 PM
If you want raw speed, get the MB.

If you enjoy a quality build, get the PB.

edit: That seems kind of expensive for a 1.25ghz PB.

failsafe1
Dec 1, 2006, 09:08 PM
The only advantage the PB would have over the MB would be video ram. But that is it. You can juice up the HD and ram. I usually don't recommend Macooks but in this scenario the Macbook would be the better choice. I always say go with the pro version of the laptops but if you can't swing the pro don't go for old technology. Adding your own ram is always the best route and a HD upgrade should be considered.

clevin
Dec 1, 2006, 09:14 PM
Where do you find good deals on RAM? Is it hard to install yourself?

goto newegg.com, looking for them. last time i checked, cheapest decent one is around $98.
its extremely easy to install memory in MB, just make sure you push into the position really hard.

QCassidy352
Dec 1, 2006, 09:28 PM
that's waaaay too much for that powerbook. You should be able to get a 1.5-1.67 for that price.

Xeem
Dec 1, 2006, 10:25 PM
Unless you need the PB's video card for gaming or heavy video apps, get the Macbook. It'll feel faster for what you are using it for, too.

xfiftyfour
Dec 1, 2006, 10:56 PM
MB for sure. The PB's price just doesn't justify it.. are you even saving money going that route anymore? The refurb MBs are just amazingly priced.. it's hard to beat.

sohosid
Dec 1, 2006, 11:38 PM
Looking at the apps you're going to run, I'd buy a loaded Pismo from Ebay...!