Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Hi,

I've searched around quite a bit and haven't yet found an answer to my question. When applying a gradient to a text box I can only apply a grey scale gradient, when I select a colour it fills the text box with a solid colour. Is there any way of applying a colour gradient to a text box directly, or is the only way to add a gradient filled object behind a text box?

any advice greatly appreciated!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
This sound like it's Adobe Illustrator, the interface isn't immediately obvious. You click on these things, and can then change the colors in the regular picker. You will need to switch the picker from grayscale to CMYK or whatever you need.

gradient.png

If you want to use more than two colors in your gradient, you can option-drag either of those little squares to the side to duplicate.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
I've tried fiddling around with the InDesign gradient and colour windows. Whatever colour I've selected in the colour window, as soon as I click the gradient window, the colour converts to grey scale. I know you can apply colour gradients to objects and boxes etc.. I had assumed it would be this easy to apply to a text box.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
ahh ha! I figured it out. Actually, you were right. You need to have selected one of the little squares at each of the gradient slider before you choose the colour you want.

thanks.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
This sound like it's Adobe Illustrator, the interface isn't immediately obvious. You click on these things, and can then change the colors in the regular picker. You will need to switch the picker from grayscale to CMYK or whatever you need.

View attachment 62845

If you want to use more than two colors in your gradient, you can option-drag either of those little squares to the side to duplicate.

Correction. iMeowbot figured it out. thanks!

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Just is case anyone cares, you can not apply a gradient fill for text in Illustrator directly while keeping it vector and editable.

The solution: make a gradient color swatch and apply that to the text, voila.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.