Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manutd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
London
My mac mini is not slow in general use however in terms of graphical parts of the OSX like magnification on the dock, and when i press F9 its slow however after i press it F9 a couple of times it goes back to normal speed. im guessing that some sort of defragmentation of the hard drive would help, as when i first got my mac it was faster with graphics. also going through albums in Itunes in the flip views is slow and jerky at first, but after a few times going through my albums the graphics get smoother.

Are their any programs out for mac that make macs faster, something that is equivelant to ccleaner for windows, as ccleaner usually makes windows snappier by fixing the registry and cleaning up useless files

spec- mac mini 1.8ghz 1gb ram

edit- sorry for crappy grammer in my title.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I have a couple of questions....

1) How many apps are you running at the same time? How many widgets are in your dashboard?

2) Is the processor performance set to Highest in System Preferences -> power / energy setttings?

3) Open Activity Monitor, which is in your utilities folder. At the bottom of the memory pane, there should be two numbers listed as page-ins and page-outs, next to the pie chart. What is the page-out number? When you provide this, also open terminal and type in "uptime" and get from that how long exactly your computer has been booted.

manutd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
London
(1) around 2-3 apps, the default 4-5 widgets but i never use the widgets
(2)? i can only find energy saver in system prefrences
(3)pageout- 25, uptime
13:49 up 3:52, 2 users, load averages: 0.36 0.31 0.27

bootime is quite fast and so is general use, its that during the graphical parts of osx it can be slow and jerky to begin with, however after a couple of times going through those graphical processes it speeds and gets smooth

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
wow 25 pageouts is very small! that's excellent.

I guess some of the graphics slowdown can be attributed to the Mini's lack of dedicated graphics, but that'd be pretty disappointing if this wer the case. and you have enough RAM... I'm a little stumped :confused:

manutd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
London
intel graphics are pretty rubbish but when i first got my mac mini it was snappier, iv tried this app called maintainace, but it didnt really help

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm, okay. So running out of memory doesn't appear to be an issue, although your computer has only been on for a few hours. It sounds like you turn off your computer fairly frequently and reboot it? And that things are snappier after the first time you do them? I would play around with putting your computer to sleep instead of turning it off constantly... perhaps just reboot it once a week or so. (That's still quite often to me, but we have to start somewhere! ;) ). See if that helps things feel a little snappier. If you don't use those four or five default widgets, close them (hold the option key and mouse over them, and then click on the X).

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
ohh good call mkrishnan! That's true, everything (especially spotlight/dashboard) is slower the first time you use it. Leave your computer on! I never shut off my iMac.

Also, what a great tip- holding option closes dashboard widgets! I learn so much at MacRumors... :)

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
I have a couple of questions....

1) How many apps are you running at the same time? How many widgets are in your dashboard?

2) Is the processor performance set to Highest in System Preferences -> power / energy setttings?

3) Open Activity Monitor, which is in your utilities folder. At the bottom of the memory pane, there should be two numbers listed as page-ins and page-outs, next to the pie chart. What is the page-out number? When you provide this, also open terminal and type in "uptime" and get from that how long exactly your computer has been booted.

Where does it say this about processor performance? In my system prefs there is only energy saver.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.