PDA

View Full Version : macbook/ibook

tim2006
Nov 27, 2006, 09:26 AM
What does everyone think about macbooks place in the apple portable lineup. seems to me that it has made the line between consumer and pro closer than with ibook to powerbook. How many former powerbook users are now using macbooks?

junkster
Nov 27, 2006, 09:35 AM
It's a much clearer distinction now than it used to be. The MBP offers a larger screen and a much faster GPU. The old iBook/PB lineup was more confusing, with the small screen version of the PB.

In all honesty, there's very little reason to buy an MBP in my opinion, unless you absolutely need to play high-end 3D games or do 3D modelling on the road. Just realize that running such apps are going to cause the fans to run like mad, which is both noisy and at odds with long battery life.

tim2006
Nov 30, 2006, 03:25 PM
comparing the macbook to the ibook. is the macbook a better built notebook. I had an ibook for a week and was not inpressed with it compared to my powerbook. the macbook looks cool but what is its quality?

mick4394
Nov 30, 2006, 05:12 PM
My Macbook goes with me everywhere. Durability and size are the reasons that I picked it over the MBP. With the travel that my computer gets, I'd be way too worried about denting the aluminum. I can deal with scratches. Dents and warping would bother me.

freakonguitar
Nov 30, 2006, 05:40 PM
macbook pros are just like the powerbooks...they dent easily, and warp, my teacher who has a powerbook is frustrated cause its warping, got dents and then ill be helping him with something and i will be like "where did this dent come from" and he will freak out cause it just all of asudden is there from normal transport in a backpack in a incase gel case. My ibook on the other hand is built just like my friends macbook...i wish i had a macbook cause his macbook is WAY faster, but either way....you can throw these around. They dont' warp, and they are really durable, no dents nothing
my ibook gets tossed around in my backpack holster but is just fine, and my friend transports his around a lot, and it gets tossed around and is just fine.

if i were you. get a macbook!! white or black, your choice :D

Abstract
Nov 30, 2006, 06:33 PM
seems to me that it has made the line between consumer and pro closer than with ibook to powerbook.
Not true unless you exclude the 12" PB. Even then, the biggest difference between the 12" or 14" iBook, and the 15" and 17" PowerBooks was the screen resolution and quality.

If you look at the 12" PB, it was essentially the same as the 12" iBook but without the aluminium enclosure; and even then, some people preferred the white casing.

How many former powerbook users are now using macbooks?

Me. ;)

tim2006
Nov 30, 2006, 06:37 PM
Not true unless you exclude the 12" PB. Even then, the biggest difference between the 12" or 14" iBook, and the 15" and 17" PowerBooks was the screen resolution and quality.

If you look at the 12" PB, it was essentially the same as the 12" iBook but without the aluminium enclosure; and even then, some people preferred the white casing.

Me. ;)

what made you go with the MB over the MBP. I have the opporunit to trade a MBP CD for MB C2D

MatthewCobb
Dec 2, 2006, 05:33 PM
How many former powerbook users are now using macbooks?

Me too. Don't regret it an instant - smaller than my 15" G4, but only in the good way - don't notice any differnce in the screen size because of changed form factor, and overall machine is smaller. Very impressive machine.

Not sure about the update to C2D. Depends on whether you want to 3-d gaming or heavy-duty video editing, or if you like aluminium. If the answer to either of those is YES, don't swap.