PDA

View Full Version : And coming up on the outside, it's Barack Obama

Thomas Veil
Nov 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
Poll: Giuliani, McCain, Obama rank high with voters, Kerry in last place

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Americans have the warmest feelings about former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Republican Sen. John McCain and Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, according to a poll released Monday that scores the popularity of national leaders.

The Quinnipiac University's "thermometer reading," taken the week after the Nov. 7 election, asked voters to rate their feelings for 20 leaders on a scale of 0 to 100.

Giuliani, a Republican weighing a presidential bid in 2008, scored the highest at 64.2. Obama and McCain, who are also considering a 2008 campaign, finished next at 58.8 and 57.7.

President Bush was 15th out of 20 while his secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, was fourth and former President Clinton fifth.

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton scored ninth of the 20 leaders with a score of 49.

Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the 2004 Democratic nominee who was roundly criticized before the election for suggesting that students who don't study could end up stuck in Iraq, came in last at 39.6.
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/index.html)

I have a real problem with the accuracy of that last sentence.

Nevertheless, the real thrust is that, while two Republicans share the lead in popularity, Barack Obama has moved up fast. It's not surprising to me that he's more popular than Hillary, it's surprising to me that polls are starting to reflect that.

And before anyone reminds me that this is a popularity poll, not a "who would you vote for" poll, let me remind you that there often isn't a whole lot of difference between the two.

leekohler
Nov 27, 2006, 11:54 AM
I'm liking Obama more and more. He has a way of transcending the mudslinging and getting to the point. While he has little experience, I feel he might be just what we need- a President who hasn't been a lifelong politician. Someone who's actually done something other than mooch off the public.

beatsme
Nov 27, 2006, 01:11 PM
I like him a lot, but I don't think he's ready for the big time, not just yet. And I definitely don't think the Democratic party is in any condition to put together a decent campaign strategy and staff for him, not so long as HRC is the prohibitive front-runner.

::sigh::

I think HRC is extraordinarily qualified, and I'd vote for her in a minute. But I know at least 10 or 15 people who wouldn't no matter what. I fear I am not alone in this regard...

jelloshotsrule
Nov 27, 2006, 01:18 PM
i'm still TBD about obama. he doesn't seem as anti-war as i'd like (i don't mean the iraq war, although that's the most obvious one), i mean in general.

but i'm willing to give him a chance to win my vote. and currently he'd place ahead of hillary to me.

leekohler
Nov 27, 2006, 01:22 PM
I like him a lot, but I don't think he's ready for the big time, not just yet. And I definitely don't think the Democratic party is in any condition to put together a decent campaign strategy and staff for him, not so long as HRC is the prohibitive front-runner.

::sigh::

I think HRC is extraordinarily qualified, and I'd vote for her in a minute. But I know at least 10 or 15 people who wouldn't no matter what. I fear I am not alone in this regard...

I wouldn't vote for her. I've never liked her. She seems like a different side of the same political coin to me. I feel she could be just as divisive as Bush.

Mav451
Nov 27, 2006, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't vote for her. I've never liked her. She seems like a different side of the same political coin to me. I feel she could be just as divisive as Bush.

Oh yeah no question. When Bush won in 2004, I mentioned to a Republican friend that if Hillary was on the ballot, I would have voted for her instead. My right-wing friend almost exploded, a la O'Reily. I mean, this was a side that I had never seen before. Dare I say, the hate I have for Bush may be surpassed by Republicans' hate for Hillary. The difference of course is that my hate for Bush is actually justified...right now the hate for Hillary is more of a political "upside" (or down lol) depending on how you would say it.

WildCowboy
Nov 27, 2006, 01:35 PM
Running Hilary would be a disaster...she's made too many enemies on her way up without caring who gets crushed. Every single thing she does is calculated to be in her best interest, not necessarily the interest of her constituents or the country. I know that politics by its very nature drives people to do that, but she's an extreme example of it. She's far too divisive...if she runs, the Republicans win easily.

Lyle
Nov 27, 2006, 01:57 PM
I don't know if I'd vote for Obama, but he's the first Democrat that I've liked in a long time. Actually, he's the first politician from any party that I've liked in a long time.

jelloshotsrule
Nov 27, 2006, 02:46 PM
I don't know if I'd vote for Obama, but he's the first Democrat that I've liked in a long time. Actually, he's the first politician from any party that I've liked in a long time.

so why wouldn't you vote for him?

Thomas Veil
Nov 27, 2006, 02:48 PM
Despite her considerable fundraising prowess, I have this sneaking feeling that the Democrats are going to slowly start nudging Hillary aside.

And yes, Obama is still somewhat inexperienced. But then again, Guiliani's highest position has been mayor. And what was Bush before he was the governor of Texas?

If Obama is considered still too inexperienced, perhaps he could fit the lower part of the ticket for now. "Edwards/Obama '08" has a nice ring to it.

PlaceofDis
Nov 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
Despite her considerable fundraising prowess, I have this sneaking feeling that the Democrats are going to slowly start nudging Hillary aside.

And yes, Obama is still somewhat inexperienced. But then again, Guiliani's highest position has been mayor. And what was Bush before he was the governor of Texas?

If Obama is considered still too inexperienced, perhaps he could fit the lower part of the ticket for now. "Edwards/Obama '08" has a nice ring to it.

i wouldn't want to see Obama go for VP. it would ruin his chances later on for a Presidency in my opinion.

i would certainly vote for him. i think he has a very good chance if he runs. hes likable. hes not outstandingly liberal (which i wish he was more liberal, but that won't help him win in the end, will it?). he is very charismatic and eloquent.

i don't know if Guliani has what it takes, he seems to me to be a bit too headstrong at times for my liking. but thats just my opinion.

Swarmlord
Nov 27, 2006, 02:58 PM
<snip>And yes, Obama is still somewhat inexperienced. But then again, Guiliani's highest position has been mayor. And what was Bush before he was the governor of Texas?

Well, mayor of a city of what like 15 million people? That's more than several states in "flyover" territory.

Call me a sceptic, but it takes more than a keynote speech at the convention and half a single term with no noteworthy legislation to impress me. Maybe if he grinds out two or three terms and gets some legislation under his belt he could consider running.

Lyle
Nov 27, 2006, 02:59 PM
so why wouldn't you vote for him?As I tend to vote for Republican/Conservative candidates, there's a good chance that I'd disagree with some of his political beliefs. That is to say, I'd likely disagree with him more than I would with his Republican opponent. But my decision would depend on candidate Obama's platform, should he eventually decide to run.

jelloshotsrule
Nov 27, 2006, 03:00 PM
As I tend to vote for Republican/Conservative candidates, there's a good chance that I'd disagree with some of his political beliefs. That is to say, I'd likely disagree with him more than I would with his Republican opponent. But my decision would depend on candidate Obama's platform, should he eventually decide to run.

so then what you meant by liking him was more in a personal sense, rather than liking his platforms/ideals/views? gotcha.

gauchogolfer
Nov 27, 2006, 03:19 PM
Well, mayor of a city of what like 15 million people? That's more than several states in "flyover" territory.

Call me a sceptic, but it takes more than a keynote speech at the convention and half a single term with no noteworthy legislation to impress me. Maybe if he grinds out two or three terms and gets some legislation under his belt he could consider running.

You can ask President Dole and President Kerry how being in the Senate is such good preparation for being elected. Having to vote on those huge omnibus bills virtually guarantees that after a couple of years you'll have voted against just about everything at least once, providing plenty of fodder for opposing political strategists. Governorships are the way to go, historically.

Blue Velvet
Nov 27, 2006, 03:21 PM
Possibly an incredibly nave question, but is there any chance of a Clinton/Obama joint ticket?

Mike Teezie
Nov 27, 2006, 03:27 PM

That's interesting. I never thought of Hilary being our side's Dubya. The last thing we need is another 4-8 years of divisive political ordeals.

Lyle
Nov 27, 2006, 03:27 PM
so then what you meant by liking him was more in a personal sense, rather than liking his platforms/ideals/views? gotcha.Right. He just strikes me as a really decent guy. It's been awhile since I've thought that about a politician.

miloblithe
Nov 27, 2006, 03:30 PM
"Edwards/Obama '08" has a nice ring to it.

Ugh. Edwards? Am I the only one who found him to be intolerably smarmy?

leekohler
Nov 27, 2006, 03:44 PM
Possibly an incredibly nave question, but is there any chance of a Clinton/Obama joint ticket?

If it were Obama/Clinton, I could maybe see it. But that's a stretch. I don't see them as all that similar.

Dont Hurt Me
Nov 27, 2006, 03:51 PM

If Obama is considered still too inexperienced, perhaps he could fit the lower part of the ticket for now. "Edwards/Obama '08" has a nice ring to it.I like Edwards and I like Obama but I dont think the lefty democrats will put either one in the front running. The party is as screwed up as the republicans and will most likely give us another partison Kerry like candidate who appeals to only the left. We need a Uniter not a divider, a Obama/Edwards ticket would look good. We need to remove the partison crap both sides push.

IJ Reilly
Nov 27, 2006, 04:37 PM
Ugh. Edwards? Am I the only one who found him to be intolerably smarmy?

I was never impressed by him. The man appears to be made entirely out of injection-molded polystyrene.

Giuliani goes nowhere in the Republican Party unless he can invent an entirely new personal history. Even New Yorkers didn't like him much until he showed some character in the days after 9/11. This was his entire claim to political fame, and it isn't much.

zimv20
Nov 27, 2006, 04:51 PM
yeah, i'd say there's a chance. if they both run in '08, and clinton gets the nomination, her team will pick a running mate. if obama did well in areas she didn't, then i'd think they'd have to consider him.

Ugg
Nov 27, 2006, 05:22 PM

Whether it would happen or not, I don't know, but it would set a precedent like no other.

beatsme
Nov 27, 2006, 05:54 PM
"Edwards/Obama '08" has a nice ring to it.

If I were Obama, I wouldn't even consider taking a VP slot on any ticket. It's a political death sentence. VP's have a poor history (at least in recent memory) of being able ascend to the Presidency. I still think the only reason 41 made it is because he was running against Dukakis, who was a smart guy that distinctly lacked the "human" touch.

yes, I know, Ford, Truman, Johnson...different circumstances.

actually, HRC might really shine in a cabinet position. Secretary of Defense or State would probably go to Joe Biden. Would any administration dare to appoint HRC Secretary of HHS? If she could "fix" the state of health care in this country, that would be quite an accomplishment.

Don't panic
Nov 27, 2006, 05:56 PM
right now, my money would be on gore/obama.

IJ Reilly
Nov 27, 2006, 06:09 PM
right now, my money would be on gore/obama.

The Second Coming of Al Gore? No thanks! :eek:

The man couldn't even carry his home state. If it wasn't for Al Gore's political ineptitude, we wouldn't have had eight years of W. Can anyone forgive him that? I can't.

Mav451
Nov 27, 2006, 06:30 PM

The man couldn't even carry his home state. If it wasn't for Al Gore's political ineptitude, we wouldn't have had eight years of W. Can anyone forgive him that? I can't.

Lock Box. 'Nuff said.

Don't panic
Nov 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

the one i can't forgive is bushco and his bunch, including those who voted for him again in '04.

anyways, I was merely stating my feeling on who i think is more likely to win right now, not necessarily a desire.

that said, i do think I would like gore and he would make the best president in a long time.

and to be entirely fair, he did win the 2000 elections ;)

beatsme
Nov 27, 2006, 09:15 PM

well, you've got to remember, Gore was running against the Clinton hangover. We were only a year or so removed from impeachment thing, and everyone was tired of the "scandalous" Clinton administration. And Tennessee? Well...Clinton's infidelity didn't play well in the south i.e. the Bible Belt. Adultery is a sin...

but you're right. The election was his to lose. And he lost. Though he was and is a remarkably competent and capable guy.

Thomas Veil
Nov 27, 2006, 10:11 PM
Possibly an incredibly naïve question, but is there any chance of a Clinton/Obama joint ticket?Chance? Yes.

Likelihood? A snowball's chance. Three reasons. First, a lot of people like Obama, and a lot of people hate Hillary; put the two together and they cancel each other out, leaving you at zero. Second, I see a woman/black man combination making some closed-minded people nervous. They might go for one or the other, but both...? Third, Obama is popular, and I don't see a strong-minded person like Hillary wanting him grabbing the spotlight away from her.

Blue Velvet
Nov 27, 2006, 10:18 PM
Likelihood? A snowball's chance.

I had to ask only because over here in the UK, Hilary Clinton is of course well-known, but it's rare to find much if anything at all in the mainstream press about Barack Obama.

IJ Reilly
Nov 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
the one i can't forgive is bushco and his bunch, including those who voted for him again in '04.

anyways, I was merely stating my feeling on who i think is more likely to win right now, not necessarily a desire.

that said, i do think I would like gore and he would make the best president in a long time.

and to be entirely fair, he did win the 2000 elections ;)

Unfortunately the popular vote is not the election. When was the last time a presidential candidate, winner or loser, lost his home state? Even George McGovern, who if memory serves, won only one state in 1972, got the home majority. Gore also refused to allow Clinton to campaign for him anywhere, including Arkansas, which he also lost. That was about the last I wanted to see of Al Gore the presidential candidate.

beatsme
Nov 27, 2006, 10:53 PM
When was the last time a presidential candidate, winner or loser, lost his home state?

Ralph Nader lost Connecticut in 2004 :D

though of course you mean which of the two guys who actually had a shot to win lost his home state. I think it would be McGovern in 1972; Nixon took South Dakota.

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election%2C_1972)

IJ Reilly
Nov 27, 2006, 10:55 PM
Ralph Nader lost Connecticut in 2004 :D

though of course you mean which of the two guys who actually had a shot to win lost his home state. I think it would be McGovern in 1972; Nixon took South Dakota.

Got me. Twice. In one post.

I will never forget this. Never.

:o

beatsme
Nov 27, 2006, 11:34 PM
Got me. Twice. In one post.

I will never forget this. Never.

:o

ah...I'm the geek that spent 30 minutes trying to find all that out. Chin up ;)

MACDRIVE
Nov 28, 2006, 12:02 AM
I might consider voting for Hilary if she did a spread. ;)

Mike Teezie
Nov 28, 2006, 12:33 AM
I don't want Giuliani on the GOP ticket solely because I don't know if I can stomach however many months of the inevitable 9/11 political ads.

solvs
Nov 28, 2006, 04:23 AM
I watched a speech given by Obama, and he seemed like exactly the kind of guy who should be in charge. But he won't be, and he knows it. This country is not ready for a black president, or VP for that matter, let alone a moderate liberal one. Sad to say, but true. Hillary has even less of a chance, so I'm hoping the Dems don't let her win the primary. Makes a nice point, but even liberal women I know don't like her, not to mention those who hate her and have no idea why (at least I know why I don't like her) and let's be honest, she doesn't have a chance.

McCain has been pissing me off more and more lately. I get why he's trying to align himself with the right to win the primary, but it will hurt him in the nationals. And hard to know which is the real him, which McCain we'll be getting if he wins. Too bad, I used to respect the man a lot. Remember too, he's the one who wants to send more troops (that we don't have) to Iraq and supports the Pres not matter what it seems. Not that he'd win the primary anyway. Same with Rudy. Too moderate to the righties, too right to the rest of the country. That whole thing with his ex wives and mistresses kinda hurts with the fundies too, as well as the moderate stances on social issues. Not to mention the questions about just how well he did actually handle the aftermath of 9/11 (not too much actually).

Isn't really anyone I like, but I'm hoping we get Clarke, Biden, and some others somewhere in the cabinet if the Dems have someone who isn't deplorable. Kinda glad Kerry made the faux pas (Dems don't seem to like to rerun candidates anyway) because I don't want the Reps winning again if they're going to pull the same stuff. And he will definitely help them win.

jelloshotsrule
Nov 28, 2006, 09:29 AM
The party is as screwed up as the republicans and will most likely give us another partison Kerry like candidate who appeals to only the left.

kerry appeals to the left?? since when?! hah

lord patton
Nov 28, 2006, 09:50 AM
Lock Box. 'Nuff said.

? Do you mean Gore's stated intention to safegaurd Social Security from being spent on other budget items?

Cause that's a great idea, but will never, ever, ever, ever happen. And Gore knew/knows it.

(I only point this out because it's a damn crying shamef-ing politicians spend all our money and tell us it's in a trust fund... and empty, fantasy trust fund)