PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 screen goes black, shuts down!

evilgEEk
Nov 27, 2006, 12:25 PM
Hi guys.

My wife has a three-year old iBook G4 and yesterday while she was doing some work, the screen just went black. By the time she brought it to me the machine was shut down. I hit the power button and it started to boot up, but about five seconds later it shut itself down again.

I kept playing with it and I was able to get back in to OS X and I played with it for a few minutes and all seemed fine. I then shut the screen and put it to sleep, then when I tried to wake it back up it shut itself down once again.

After a few more tries of getting it back in to the OS I was able to get all her files off the hard drive, but the problem is still there.

Has anyone heard about this before, or have any ideas? My guess is that it's the logic board, but that's just a guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

evilgEEk
Nov 27, 2006, 06:52 PM
It still happens on both battery power and when plugged in.

Anyone have any ideas?

mad jew
Nov 28, 2006, 03:41 AM
I hope it's not a logic board problem. The old iBook G4s were pretty good when it came to reliability because they weren't much of a technological leap over what Apple had already made. Mine's still hammering along very nicely. :)

Try resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) for now. Also try re-seating the battery and maybe run the Apple Hardware Test that came with your machine. :)

evilgEEk
Jan 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
I hope it's not a logic board problem. The old iBook G4s were pretty good when it came to reliability because they weren't much of a technological leap over what Apple had already made. Mine's still hammering along very nicely. :)

Try resetting the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) for now. Also try re-seating the battery and maybe run the Apple Hardware Test that came with your machine. :)

So, a little follow-up two months later. :o

Thanks for the suggestion mad jew! Unfortunately I tried resetting the PMU, and after doing that now whenever I power up the machine I hear the hard drive engage and then the fan just starts blowing in hi gear and continues blowing until I turn it off again. Nothing else happens, just the fan blowing.