Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
My not quite two year old 4G iPod crapped out on me a few months ago. Basically, the scroll wheel died. It scrolled ok, but every button became the centre button. Crappy, but it gave me an excuse to get a new one.

On Friday, I combined by gf's corporate discount with the Black Friday sale and next week will be the proud owner of a 5G 30gig iPod. I've already started ripping DVDs and converting them into iPod format. Anyway, I have a few questions.

Can I use the wall charged that came included w/ my old iPod? I'd rather do that than plug it into my old school non-2.0 USB ports.

Also, just because I want to be ready to go right away and not f*ck up the battery, do I charge the new iPod before doing anything with it, or do I plug in and go?

Finally, how do I put photos on it?

Thanks!

PS. Because I just bought a new one, expect a huge update within weeks. You're welcome.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
My not quite two year old 4G iPod crapped out on me a few months ago. Basically, the scroll wheel died. It scrolled ok, but every button became the centre button. Crappy, but it gave me an excuse to get a new one.

On Friday, I combined by gf's corporate discount with the Black Friday sale and next week will be the proud owner of a 5G 30gig iPod. I've already started ripping DVDs and converting them into iPod format. Anyway, I have a few questions.

Can I use the wall charged that came included w/ my old iPod? I'd rather do that than plug it into my old school non-2.0 USB ports.

Also, just because I want to be ready to go right away and not f*ck up the battery, do I charge the new iPod before doing anything with it, or do I plug in and go?

Finally, how do I put photos on it?

Thanks!

PS. Because I just bought a new one, expect a huge update within weeks. You're welcome.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's not bad luck; my 4G just was replaced by AppleCare and I'n be really mad if it broke again.

Yes, you can use the same wall charger.

I think the instruction manual says to fully charge before you do anything. If you want to be careful, I'd do that.

Well you connect your iPod to iTunes 7, you can click on the "photos" tab and select what folders of pictures you want copied to your iPod. It's real simple.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Sorry to hear that. I hope it's not bad luck; my 4G just was replaced by AppleCare and I'n be really mad if it broke again.

Yes, you can use the same wall charger.

I think the instruction manual says to fully charge before you do anything. If you want to be careful, I'd do that.

Well you connect your iPod to iTunes 7, you can click on the "photos" tab and select what folders of pictures you want copied to your iPod. It's real simple.

I was pretty mad when it broke, but like I said, I have an excuse to get a new one. Although if this one break, I'm done with iPods.

I never noticed the photos tab in the windows version. Then again, I never bothered to look for it. I'll do so after work. Thanks!

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
You won't see the Photos tab (or any others) until you have the iPod hooked up. Once the iPod is mounted, the options come up for what you want to sync to it. Then you can make your choices.

Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.