PDA

View Full Version : Wii and PowerPc

matd
Nov 27, 2006, 02:36 PM
Hello !

I have a little question concerning Wii and the PowerPc processor. Is it true/false that we can install another OS on the Wii?
I read so many articles claiming that this "might be possible", but never read someone actually did it. Can we but a normal bootable CD/DVD into the Wii ?

Does this mean that the Wii would be able to run Mac Os X 10.3 or Linux and if yes, what becomes of the Wii preinstalled OS ? Can we save it somewhere ( e.g. on a SD Card ?) or will this OS completely be erased ?
Thx a lot for your answers

zero2dash
Nov 27, 2006, 02:56 PM
It hasn't been done yet and considering the nonstandard/custom hardware (specifically similar to the Gamecube albeit slightly better) - I don't think you'll ever see it. AFAIK this was never accomplished on the Gamecube so its a safe bet that they'll never do it on the Wii.

As for PowerPC - the Wii doesn't contain a PPC processor. It's a custom processor codeveloped between Nintendo and IBM. Not just a standard run of the mill PPC cpu.

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 27, 2006, 03:26 PM
It hasn't been done yet and considering the nonstandard/custom hardware (specifically similar to the Gamecube albeit slightly better) - I don't think you'll ever see it. AFAIK this was never accomplished on the Gamecube so its a safe bet that they'll never do it on the Wii.

As for PowerPC - the Wii doesn't contain a PPC processor. It's a custom processor codeveloped between Nintendo and IBM. Not just a standard run of the mill PPC cpu.

People did Linux (http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page) running on the gamecube but it never really took off.

GFLPraxis
Nov 27, 2006, 04:10 PM
Hello !

I have a little question concerning Wii and the PowerPc processor. Is it true/false that we can install another OS on the Wii?
I read so many articles claiming that this "might be possible", but never read someone actually did it. Can we but a normal bootable CD/DVD into the Wii ?

Does this mean that the Wii would be able to run Mac Os X 10.3 or Linux and if yes, what becomes of the Wii preinstalled OS ? Can we save it somewhere ( e.g. on a SD Card ?) or will this OS completely be erased ?
Thx a lot for your answers

Nintendo does not allow you to install another OS, but eventually someone will hack it. Just the same way as I have hacked my Nintendo DS to run Linux, I expect eventually I'll be able to run Linux on my Wii. Maybe someday even OS X, but I doubt it.

In the case of my DS, I have Linux installed on a CF card that goes into the DS with an adapter, and a firmware crack that has it boot from that CF card *if* it is inserted. Otherwise, it just boots with the regular OS. I'm sure it would work the same way.

GFLPraxis
Nov 27, 2006, 04:12 PM
People did Linux (http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page) running on the gamecube but it never really took off.

Only because it took a bunch of extra hardware and didn't have a lot of uses (because the GC didn't have a DVD drive or USB ports like the XBox and no hard drive, and the extra hardware annulled the cost advantage, so everyone went with XBox Linux).

The Wii has USB ports and an SD card slot. Once the initial crack is done, loading software on there shouldn't be too hard.

GFLPraxis
Nov 27, 2006, 04:13 PM

It's still based on the G3 and still PowerPC architecture, however.