Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have not used iTunes in a very long time, but yesterday I found out that all my iTunes songs, videos, podcasts, and any other data was gone. The only thing I think that could of happened is that when I changed the iTunes folder icon it could of screwed up something. I had so many good songs. Is there anyway to recover it. I AM SO SAD!! PLEASE HELP:(

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Is it completely gone or is iTunes just not seeing it? Can you try a Spotlight search for the music?

DJ OJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
It is not in the iTunes folder, but it is all there. It has been moved it seems like. Great. Now what? Well, I found the problem. It turned out I have 2 music folders and picture folders. Because I moved them to a new folder called iLife I think. Why did it make a duplicate?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iTunes hates it when you move or modify the files through Finder or Explorer. Let iTunes manage your files, avoid the actual music files, and you should be fine. Manually reimporting one of the libraries into the other library should get your music back. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.