PDA

View Full Version : flickering screen, fuzzy lines on ibook G4

QCassidy352
Nov 28, 2006, 10:07 PM
My brother's ibook (14", 1.33 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM, 10.3.9) recently developed a problem: when he would open it, the screen would show fuzzy lines for a few seconds before "stabilizing." He tried to live with it, but it got progressively worse. Now, the lines never disappear, and the screen flickers as well.

Also - physically moving either the screen or the whole laptop makes the problem worse. In a way, this actually gives me hope - maybe something has just come unseated and could be somewhat easily repaired?

He really needs this ibook to take finals in a few weeks, and has no other computer. What could be causing this? Is it something that could be fixed if he opened it up himself? If not, what are we looking at for repair costs?

I could really use any help you can offer on this one... thanks! :)

kymac
Nov 28, 2006, 10:13 PM
I have an iBook G3 thats doing this aswell, I could use the help too.

deadpixels
Nov 29, 2006, 12:13 AM
for your g3 ibook, check the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/) if yor ibook qualifies thenapple will fix it free of charge :D

deadpixels
Nov 29, 2006, 12:15 AM
My brother's ibook (14", 1.33 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM, 10.3.9) recently developed a problem: when he would open it, the screen would show fuzzy lines for a few seconds before "stabilizing." He tried to live with it, but it got progressively worse. Now, the lines never disappear, and the screen flickers as well.

Also - physically moving either the screen or the whole laptop makes the problem worse. In a way, this actually gives me hope - maybe something has just come unseated and could be somewhat easily repaired?

He really needs this ibook to take finals in a few weeks, and has no other computer. What could be causing this? Is it something that could be fixed if he opened it up himself? If not, what are we looking at for repair costs?

I could really use any help you can offer on this one... thanks! :)
it seems your ibook is not included in the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program but it might be also a logic board problem or it could be the cable that passes inside the hinge who's dammaged.does the flickering disappear/change when you tilt the screen back and forth?

QCassidy352
Nov 29, 2006, 08:26 AM
does the flickering disappear/change when you tilt the screen back and forth?

yes, moving the screen causes the flickering to get worse. That suggests to me that it might be a wiring problem and not a logic board problem, but I'm hoping someone here can confirm that. Thanks! :)

deadpixels
Nov 29, 2006, 11:52 PM
yes, moving the screen causes the flickering to get worse. That suggests to me that it might be a wiring problem and not a logic board problem, but I'm hoping someone here can confirm that. Thanks! :)
wellcome :D here (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/366007462731) is some info, and here's how to figure out if it's a logic board or ribbon cable problem :
Connect an external monitor to the iBook - if the flicker occurs on the ext. monitor then it's the logic board but if it doesn't, it's the display/backlight/cable.

razorme
Dec 15, 2006, 02:03 PM

I have just fixed my iBook G3 that was having the infamous ATI graphics chip problem. The chip is connected to the printed circuit board (pcb) using a ball grid array (bga) of solder. The solder connections are not robust enough and depending on how you flex the case you will get display distortions. You can reflow the solder connections to fix this issue.

Before fixing, I could manipulate the type of display distortion depending on how I held the iBook and could fix the problem by squeezing the opened iBook
with a clamp at a point to the left of the trackpad and below the keyboard - this obviously wasn't very functional!

To fix:
-Remove the lower case and metal shield off the iBook.
-Remove the foam pad off of the graphics chip (it's the only foam pad you will see) and save for later.
-Put a few small pieces of solder on the top of the graphics chip to give you a guideline for when you are approaching the right temperature.
-Use a heat gun (I bought one at Canadian Tire $55) and warm up the area slowly for a couple of minutes - use the LOW heat setting.
-Gradually bring the heat gun closer to the chip.
-Once all of the small solder pieces have melted on top of the chip, give it another 10 seconds or so, then gradually remove the heat gun and let the iBook cool off.
-Make sure you remove the solder you were using as a guide!

It was quite easy, and other people have had no trouble. I found the method on MacNN. (http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and-macbook/210232/diy-ibook-dual-usb-logic/)

This is a good read as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGA