PDA

View Full Version : Apple Shares Rise to Record as Mac, IPod Sales Surge

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2006, 10:10 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple Shares Rise to Record as Mac, IPod Sales Surge (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061128231045)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

swingerofbirch
Nov 28, 2006, 10:25 PM
I am never taking financial advice from my father again. He advised me over and over to sell my Apple stock. I had gotten really lucky he said.

I bought 8 shares of Apple (all of my money) at 63.4 a share because I heard an analyst say it would go to $99 a share.

My dad finally wore me down and I sold at 71.09...arggg and now it's at 91!

Well, you may say, at least you made some money. Actually I did not. I almost broke even. I had invested all my money previously into DirecTV when I heard they were launching 14 rocket ships into space with new satellites. Well I don't think those rocket ships ever took off cos I never heard about those plans again and I lost a lot of money, finally cut my losses, bought Apple, and about broke even.

But what could have been! Well, I guess the moral of this story is that BOTH my father and I are bad with money.

iJon
Nov 28, 2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah I've had it since about 45, still haven't sold it. I feel with the possibilities of an iPhone they can generate some new revenue. I'm thinking it can hit 100 but it may not be until they release their next earnings. Let's hope.

jon

x86isslow
Nov 28, 2006, 11:58 PM
1.8 million macs during the holidays?? Apple is going to blow that figure straight out of the water. I suspect they'll sell closing in on 3 million for the holiday quarter. If they don't speed up the Switcher rate by a lot over the holidays, they'll be fighting with Vista for post-XP switchers.

twoodcc
Nov 29, 2006, 12:03 AM
i thought that was a pretty good article. now i just gotta wait for that phone.....

Bandman999
Nov 29, 2006, 05:51 AM
I bought 150 shares at $64.50... Waaay back in about '99. Since then it has split twice, so I'm up to 600 shares. Do the math, and I am one haaaappy Apple fan!

Rocketman
Nov 29, 2006, 09:27 AM
Steve usually splits when the price is firmly near 100. Looks like it will be announced soon.

The news in this report is a confirmation of a $300 price point for the iPhone.

The Mac and iPod sales figures are speculation, but since Steve has been practicing UPOD, Any surprise will be to the upside.

Also note both the article and I refer repeatedly to Steve Jobs, and not "Apple Computer, Inc"? That is different from virtually any other corporate stock reports.

Rocketman

princealfie
Nov 29, 2006, 09:28 AM
Go Apple!

Max Payne
Nov 29, 2006, 09:46 AM
How can I buy Apple shares? What steps should I take?

Kwyjibo
Nov 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
Steve usually splits when the price is firmly near 100. Looks like it will be announced soon.

This isn't a lateral action by Steve himself where he wakes up one morning and decides to split the stock.

Where are you getting this precedent? The stock has split twice in the last twenty years and the last time it was at like 90 ish. So that was just once, once does not make a pattern.

Theres no reason for them to split the stock, if you want to search on why this is sort of silly you can do a search on here or on google and find some well written posts on the topic.

IJ Reilly
Nov 29, 2006, 10:29 AM
This isn't a lateral action by Steve himself where he wakes up one morning and decides to split the stock.

Where are you getting this precedent? The stock has split twice in the last twenty years and the last time it was at like 90 ish. So that was just once, once does not make a pattern.

Theres no reason for them to split the stock, if you want to search on why this is sort of silly you can do a search on here or on google and find some well written posts on the topic.

For the record, AAPL has split three times in the past 20 years: 1987, 2000, 2005. In 2000 it was around $100; in 2005 it was around $90. I suspect the board will vote another split soon, assuming the share price holds up.

Aniej
Nov 29, 2006, 10:35 AM
How can I buy Apple shares? What steps should I take?

Is that a joke? Not to be pompous, but have you ever heard of these little things called securities exchanges often referred to as NASDAQ, and S&P 500?

Apple is traded on NASDAQ, call or get a broker.

grum
Nov 29, 2006, 12:32 PM
Is that a joke? Not to be pompous, but...

Too late :p

Max Payne
Nov 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
Is that a joke? Not to be pompous, but have you ever heard of these little things called securities exchanges often referred to as NASDAQ, and S&P 500?

Apple is traded on NASDAQ, call or get a broker.

I heard of NASDAQ, but I don't know how these things go. Thanks anyway.

winmacguy
Nov 29, 2006, 06:52 PM
I am never taking financial advice from my father again. He advised me over and over to sell my Apple stock. I had gotten really lucky he said.

I bought 8 shares of Apple (all of my money) at 63.4 a share because I heard an analyst say it would go to $99 a share.

My dad finally wore me down and I sold at 71.09...arggg and now it's at 91!

But what could have been! Well, I guess the moral of this story is that BOTH my father and I are bad with money.

If it is any consolation, my my father was pretty scepticle when I bought my appl stocks and he has a very strong financial background. I bought the shares @$73 US with NZ currency because I know enough about the company and Steve Jobs to have a good idea of what the shares are likely to do - more so than my father. I am expecting a big return on my investment at some stage in the future. If I had solely taken my father's advice I probably would never have bought the shares.

winmacguy
Nov 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
I heard of NASDAQ, but I don't know how these things go. Thanks anyway.

Either contact a stock broker or stock broking firm, investment bank or get hold of a financial adviser at your own bank or look on google. This like might help
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AAPL.

SMM
Nov 29, 2006, 07:57 PM
I am a (relatively) long-time stockholder. I have actually owned the stock much longer than I have used the products. Needless to say (but saying it anyway), I am very happy with the stock's performance. The one thing I am not, is surprised.

Apple is making the right decisions, straight across the board. I really like their cash position. They are not spending like a bunch of undisciplined kids. They make profit, they pay-off loans and long-term financial obligations. They are capitalizing the majority of their major assets. In short, they are doing just the opposite of what our government is doing.

I really like their diversification and they way they have grown it. The feelings I have about Apple can be summarized in one word; confidence. They have installed in me a confidence that they have a plan, know what they are doing, and have the people in-place to make it succeed. With their track record, since the turn of the century, this is the type of company you want to invest in, and stay the course.

Aniej
Nov 29, 2006, 09:48 PM
I am a (relatively) long-time stockholder. I have actually owned the stock much longer than I have used the products. Needless to say (but saying it anyway), I am very happy with the stock's performance. The one thing I am not, is surprised.

Apple is making the right decisions, straight across the board. I really like their cash position. They are not spending like a bunch of undisciplined kids. They make profit, they pay-off loans and long-term financial obligations. They are capitalizing the majority of their major assets. In short, they are doing just the opposite of what our government is doing.

I really like their diversification and they way they have grown it. The feelings I have about Apple can be summarized in one word; confidence. They have installed in me a confidence that they have a plan, know what they are doing, and have the people in-place to make it succeed. With their track record, since the turn of the century, this is the type of company you want to invest in, and stay the course.

What a great, to-the-point, and articulate comment on the nature of this security. The only tiny little addition I would make is their decision to not pay out dividends, but your point that "they make profit" is in actuality inclusive of this point. I think we could make a whole thread discussing this actually and relating the interesting products and management decisions to their securities.