PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook memory upgrade

koswo
Nov 29, 2006, 03:22 AM
A friend of mine had a 15" Powerbook G4. She has two memory modules of 256 MB installed and now she wants to upgrade.
Is it possible to replace one 256 MB module by a 512 MB module (so she'll have 768 MB in total). Or do the memory modules always have to be of the same capacity (2x 512MB)?

mad jew
Nov 29, 2006, 03:48 AM
They can be different capacities. :)

lisaconstable
Nov 29, 2006, 05:46 AM
Check out the section SUPPORT>MANUALS and do a search using "replacing RAM expansion card Powerbook G4".

This brings up a list of manuals for each specific Powerbook.
Open the relevant "Getting Started" Manual and go to "Adding Memory to your Computer" - this tells you what you need to know regarding capacity, access to the RAM cards, slots etc.

I am in the process of doing the same thing but seem to have encountered a problem:
I have a 15" Powerbook 1.25GHZ (basicllay the same config as the 1.33 - 1.5GHz model, with Superdrive. I tried to install a 1GB card in the top slot, leaving one of the original 256 cards in the bottom slot.
When I restarted, it made all the sounds as though it was starting up, but my screen remained black. I tried a restart several times.

I then changed the new card back for the old 256, and restarted, only to find that not all my keys work now, so I am unable to log in using my password.

Not sure why any of this has happened - I bought compatible RAM according to the manual, so just be aware that it isnt as easy as it seems...

Anyone have a solution for me?
Lisa