Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolphin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I can't figure this out.... I have a desktop eMac and it always connects to internet fine. I have dial up here at home. My ibook, ever since I signed up with earthlink it won't dial thru without me having to unplug the phone line and re-plug into ibook. earthlink said it was my "faulty" ibook. I have since got rid of earthlink and went with someone else and re-installed software on the ibook. Still having the problems. Is it time for the ibook to go into the shop for "repairs"?? Once connected, it works fine except connection speeds are scattered. Sometimes I'm connected at 14000bps and sometimes 9000, sometimes when I'm lucky, 24000bps. eMac is always constant.
HELP....
At work, I use wireless and it works perfect - no issues.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
I can't figure this out.... I have a desktop eMac and it always connects to internet fine. I have dial up here at home. My ibook, ever since I signed up with earthlink it won't dial thru without me having to unplug the phone line and re-plug into ibook. earthlink said it was my "faulty" ibook. I have since got rid of earthlink and went with someone else and re-installed software on the ibook. Still having the problems. Is it time for the ibook to go into the shop for "repairs"?? Once connected, it works fine except connection speeds are scattered. Sometimes I'm connected at 14000bps and sometimes 9000, sometimes when I'm lucky, 24000bps. eMac is always constant.
HELP....
At work, I use wireless and it works perfect - no issues.

Are you sure the speed is constant on your eMac? Dialup speeds typically vary. Are you out of range for broadband connectivity? I'd strongly recommend DSL or Cable. Anything is better than dialup.

If not, not sure what to tell you. Your iBook's modem could be having issues.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Make sure you rule out all the obvious considerations...

1) Have you ever tried dialup using that iBook's modem anywhere else besides your home? Has any other computer ever connected to the internet in your home and performed differently from your iBook?

2) Have you tried changing the cable and/or using a different phone jack in your home?

3) Is this eMac connected via modem as well? Have you tried pulling the cable out of it and plugging it into the iBook, and if you do, does it perform normally?

I echo the previous comment about upgrading to a non-obsolete technology (DSL, cable modem, some kind of over-the-air wireless network delivery, etc, etc), if at all possible, but... I understand that may not be feasible for you.

dolphin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Make sure you rule out all the obvious considerations...

1) Have you ever tried dialup using that iBook's modem anywhere else besides your home? Has any other computer ever connected to the internet in your home and performed differently from your iBook?

2) Have you tried changing the cable and/or using a different phone jack in your home?

3) Is this eMac connected via modem as well? Have you tried pulling the cable out of it and plugging it into the iBook, and if you do, does it perform normally?

I echo the previous comment about upgrading to a non-obsolete technology (DSL, cable modem, some kind of over-the-air wireless network delivery, etc, etc), if at all possible, but... I understand that may not be feasible for you.

If I could get DSL, I'd do it in a hearbeat. We don't get the service here YET.
As soon as we do, I'm there.
I have done all of the above except trying to hook up outside my home (using dial up). That's my next step.
The eMac is constant each time.
What worries me is that the ibook will NOT connect unless I un-plug first and re plug in. I NEVER have to do that with the eMac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What worries me is that the ibook will NOT connect unless I un-plug first and re plug in. I NEVER have to do that with the eMac.

So the eMac is also in the home and also connecting via dialup, and does not have this problem? And if you simply pull the eMac's phone cable off and plug it into the iBook, the iBook continues to have this same problem?

There are a few sort of "overall" diagnostics you can try... they're not particularly likely to solve this problem, but short of replacing the iBook....

1) Try to boot off the system restore discs and run the Apple Hardware Test. While you're there, verify/repair the hard disk.

2) Repair permissions (but NOT from the system restore discs!)

3) Reset the PMU, PRAM, NVRAM, etc (see the guides here if you don't know how).

4) Create a new user account and see if the new user account has the same issue; if it does, then there's some sort of corrupt preference file in your main user that is causing this.

dolphin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
So the eMac is also in the home and also connecting via dialup, and does not have this problem? And if you simply pull the eMac's phone cable off and plug it into the iBook, the iBook continues to have this same problem?

There are a few sort of "overall" diagnostics you can try... they're not particularly likely to solve this problem, but short of replacing the iBook....

1) Try to boot off the system restore discs and run the Apple Hardware Test. While you're there, verify/repair the hard disk.

2) Repair permissions (but NOT from the system restore discs!)

3) Reset the PMU, PRAM, NVRAM, etc (see the guides here if you don't know how).

4) Create a new user account and see if the new user account has the same issue; if it does, then there's some sort of corrupt preference file in your main user that is causing this.

Correct, eMac doesn't have this problem. And yes, I did use the same exact phone cable as eMac. And the ibook still had the problem.
Last night I already did a archive re-install. I didn't want to loose everything.
Do I need to erase and re-install to run the apple hardware test? Or can I do that in the archive/re-install? Or can I run the hardware test without re-installing once again?
I've repaired permissions already. I haven't reset the pram etc....
I need to keep things simple since I"m not a pro with these computer issues. Otherwise I'm better off just taking it in and having someone look at it. IF it's a corrupt file, and I have a feeling this is the case - how can it be fixed?
It all started with that stupid total access download from earthlink.

dolphin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I just read the read me for the hardware test and it says this:

You must connect an applecare approved external firewire optical drive to a firewire port on your computer in order to run apple hardware test.
WHAT??? I have no idea what they are talking about.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just read the read me for the hardware test and it says this:

You must connect an applecare approved external firewire optical drive to a firewire port on your computer in order to run apple hardware test.
WHAT??? I have no idea what they are talking about.

Mmm, I have no idea what that means, but I would start by just booting off the install disc and then running it.

The taking-it-in-and-letting-a-pro-deal-with-it option is also certainly a valid one. But then you don't need any advice from me, save for...well, go do it! ;)

dolphin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
LOL - I took it in earlier. Less headache for me! I should know by tomorrow what the problem is. I'm hoping it's a bad phone port - that way applecare will probably pick up the tab but if it's earthlink's fault, I'll have to foot the bill to take care of it.
I sure hope there's no permanent damage done to it.

dolphin1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Got a call back from the repair place. Well, good news (for me), it seems I have a bad modem. So, they are ordering the part and it should be done in a couple of days. Applecare will take care of that. So, it pays to get the extended applecare warranty. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Got a call back from the repair place. Well, good news (for me), it seems I have a bad modem. So, they are ordering the part and it should be done in a couple of days. Applecare will take care of that. So, it pays to get the extended applecare warranty. :D

Good stuff! :) Hope it's safely back in your hands very soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.