Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojimbo1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2006
I will soon buy a MB or MBP and will need to migrate my files---can someone please advise what kind of cable is required for this.

Thanks in advance

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
6pin to 6pin FireWire cable, also called IEEE 1394.

Connect the two system with the cable and reboot the iBook while holding down the 'T' key.

Once the iBook is mounted on the MB's desktop, fire up Migration Assistant or just copy over any files you need.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I will soon buy a MB or MBP and will need to migrate my files---can someone please advise what kind of cable is required for this.

Thanks in advance

You can use a firewire cable to boot one of the macs into target disk mode.

Doing this makes one laptop appear as an external HD on the other mac.

Connect them both with a male to male firewire cable turn ONE mac on then when its is fully booted hold down 'T' on the other mac while starting it up. Once its booted it will appear on the desktop of the first mac and you can navigate as you would an other HD.

Im not sure how 'migration assistant' works so cannot comment on it or what cable is required. Beinf from Apple though I can assure you it will be a breeze to use.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
During the initial set up of your new MacBook, at some point it will ask if you want to import settings from another machine. From there, Migration Assistant will walk you through everything. As everyone else has mentioned, just make sure you have a firewire cable ready.

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
anybody know if i can do this with a firewire 800 to 400 cable? i need to transfer files from my Powerbook to my MacbookPro and i only have a Firewire 800 and a Firewire 800 to 400 cable, they came with my external hdd. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.