PDA

View Full Version : U.S. to North Korean leader: No iPods for you!

MacBytes
Nov 29, 2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: U.S. to North Korean leader: No iPods for you! (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061129151832)
Description:: The U.S. government's first-ever effort to use trade sanctions to personally aggravate a foreign president expressly targets items believed to be favored by Kim Jong Il or presented by him as gifts to the roughly 600 loyalist families who run his communist nation.

Kim, who engineered a secret nuclear weapons program, has other options for obtaining the high-end consumer electronics and other items he wants.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

icsedge1
Nov 29, 2006, 03:02 PM
yup...if they took my iPod from me, i would quit building that thermo-nuclear device i got stashed in my basement.

ummm...i mean, ahhh...never mind.

oh damn...serious looking men in black suits at the door. guess i got to go.

Sedge

Passante
Nov 29, 2006, 03:02 PM
Is Zune banned? Lets send him one of those :D :D :D :D

TimDaddy
Nov 29, 2006, 03:05 PM
That would be seen as an act of war.

icsedge1
Nov 29, 2006, 03:06 PM
That would be seen as an act of war.

where did you think i intended to use that device in my basement? :rolleyes:

Sedge

icsedge1
Nov 29, 2006, 03:20 PM

actually, that's brilliant! the guy is 3/4 nuts already, trying to get the Zune software to install correctly will almost certainly make him 100% certifiable. then he will be deposed, the new leadership will realize the always starving populace wants real change, and NK and SK will unify, bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula without firing a shot. genius!

Sedge

jephrey
Nov 29, 2006, 03:38 PM
So you're saying there's a use for the zune?

;)

J

princealfie
Nov 29, 2006, 03:43 PM
So you're saying there's a use for the zune?

;)

J

regime change... oooooooo.

ppc_michael
Nov 29, 2006, 06:14 PM
I wonder what it feels like to know you're the creator of a device that is enjoyed by an evil dictator?

Rocketman
Nov 29, 2006, 08:28 PM
I was thinking of this today.

All he is going to do is have one of his spies load his iPod in the USA and Fedex it to him.

Same with all the other banned goods. This is window dressing.

It probably annoys him anyway, Fine.

Rocketman

freebooter
Nov 29, 2006, 10:21 PM
Bloated bureaucracy at work, doing the easy, showy stuff while powerless to undertake useful, hard tasks. Like the cops who bust people for smoking pot, when crack and crystal meth pours into the city.

spicyapple
Nov 29, 2006, 10:24 PM
Too funny. North Korea is nuclear-ready. I think with their level of technology, they could smuggle in whatever it is that their glorious leader requires. :)

shamino
Nov 30, 2006, 11:29 AM
An amusing line from the article: "He ... likes films about James Bond and Godzilla".

I might even pay to see a film with James Bond and Godzilla together :)

I wonder what it feels like to know you're the creator of a device that is enjoyed by an evil dictator?
Probably the same as you would as the creator of a device that is enjoyed by everybody in the world, including those few people who happen to be evil dictators.

All he is going to do is have one of his spies load his iPod in the USA and Fedex it to him.
You don't think Customs inspects FedEx packages destined for prohibited nations?

The article says that bans on small personal electronic items are pointless, because they're sold everywhere and are easily carried and hidden. Those are mostly symbolic.

Bans on larger items that are harder to hide in a pocket (like jetskis) will probably hold. If the dictator is actually giving these to people in order to buy obedience, then the ban may have a small impact.

And, as you said, it will annoy him. I'm all for annoying evil people.

svenr
Nov 30, 2006, 12:11 PM
All he is going to do is have one of his spies load his iPod in the USA and Fedex it to him.You don't think Customs inspects FedEx packages destined for prohibited nations?I highly doubt FedEx would deliver to Pyongyang in the first place.

Macmaniac
Nov 30, 2006, 01:13 PM
Don't forget kiddies the Chinese could just smuggle some across the border, they are built there ya know!

BenRoethig
Dec 1, 2006, 10:43 AM
actually, that's brilliant! the guy is 3/4 nuts already, trying to get the Zune software to install correctly will almost certainly make him 100% certifiable. then he will be deposed, the new leadership will realize the always starving populace wants real change, and NK and SK will unify, bringing peace to the Korean Peninsula without firing a shot. genius!

Sedge

Or he'd use his nukes thinking the zune was some kind of conspiracy against him.

Don't forget kiddies the Chinese could just smuggle some across the border, they are built there ya know!

Or copy it.