Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
OK,, seems apple is giving me a brandy spankin new 30g video for my troubles.:D

this fiasco all started when i updated the ipod to whatever they suggested. right then things went straight to hell.{error 1418} i did do a full back-up before i started trying to reset, restore reboot, redo re every-dam-thing.
my question now is this: when the new ipod finaly gets here,, should i be worried about loading the back-up onto it? will it load whatever the hell screwed it up in the first place? and i will be right back there again?
i am thinking i should just start from step one. :eek:
any advice will be appriciated!!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What do you mean by a backup? It's unlikely that a corrupt song caused your old iPod to die, so reloading on all your tracks should be fine. Do this from iTunes though, not from a disk image of your old iPod if that's what you're asking about. :)

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
i used "tune tools" to do the back-up. it gives you a choice of a ;quick backup', or a full backup'. am i wrong in thinking that a full backup has more than just music? maybe it has the couple gig of software apps as well?
i'm thinkig i will lean twords the cautious side and start from scratch.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't know much about the app but unless you manually manage your music on the iPod, I don't really see the point of backing it up. Can't you just sync the new iPod with your current iTunes library (ignoring Tune Tools for the moment)? :)

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
i do manualy manage my songs. my library is all but empty. i don't play music in itunes, only ipod and my laptop is almost full, no room for the library.
so i do a backup.
edit: my new ipod is said to be up to date. i would hate to inadvertantly reload the problem that came with apple's update! my backup could possibly hold the corrupted update? any chance you would know how i could tell?

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
update,{cuz i'm sure you all want it.};)
the new 30g video is now in a suitcase and headed south.
one question:: what is the normal waiting period before i can expect the "sorry dude, we *****ed up, how can we make it up to you" response from apple?

barnacle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
maya beach, belize
now that i think about it,, i think i would like to send them a personal bitch
e-mail. can someone give me an address where someone might actuly read it? at apple of course.
thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.