PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody still play games (regularly) on the mac?

pgc6000
Nov 29, 2006, 06:21 PM
Ok, not to sound anti-mac or pro-windows gaming, but does anybody still game regularly on their apple machines? I know, I know, the Mac is not a gaming machine. I've heard that plenty of times. But after getting a PC for gaming, sad to say but true gaming is an over all more enjoyable experience on it than my lovely powerbook. With the new consoles out to, I plan on also getting back into console gaming, which I haven't for awhile. I know my PB (specs below) isn't a fit gaming machine, but even if I had an intel mac I couldn't see myself playing games on it all to often (however, you never know). I used to have a joyous time playing games like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and Halo on my mac, but I've since seeked elsewhere for gaming options (though I've started playing Halo on my PB again lately). So, with the new consoles out, will any of you still be gaming on your mac?

psychofreak
Nov 29, 2006, 06:28 PM
People use boot camp.

I play Sudoku, the most time consuming game ever.

rosalindavenue
Nov 29, 2006, 07:11 PM
I've been a (home ibook G4) mac user for about 18 months; other than MAME I do no gaming on it. (When my home computer was a PC I gamed on it). I bought a gamecube for gaming.

cecildk9999
Nov 29, 2006, 08:06 PM
I dunno; I haven't seen any games worth playing in a long while, for console or computer. Civ IV worked pretty well on my intel MBP, although I'm still tempted to do bootcamp for any games I may play in future. :confused:

Allotriophagy
Nov 29, 2006, 08:09 PM
I play FEAR, AoM, Hitman in XP through Boot Camp.

In OS X I play UT2004, WoW, Civ4.

I use my TiBook solely to play Colonization these days. Classic emulation in OS X on Intel is not fast enough.

Chone
Nov 29, 2006, 08:11 PM
The only games I play on it are old games from the time all I had was Macs and I had a gaming addicion (games like Civilization I and II and Master of Orion or shareware games like Boom) and games like Marathon, the keyboard on my PC is too retarded to play Marathon (no more than 2 keys can be pressed at once and since I play Marathon with keyboard only, this becomes a big nuisance) so I just play it on the good ol Macs.

Other than that, its all PC Gaming for me and my PS2 gets some play time when there are good games out.

Though I will say my Intel Macs do get playtime in bootcamp... but I don't think that really counts, yes, no?

In fact my Mac Pro is devoid of games. (in the OSX side at least).. literally the only games on it are Marathon and Chess.

apfhex
Nov 29, 2006, 08:13 PM
Most of the "PC" gaming I did was on my B&W G3. I stopped playing new games when they became too demanding for that hardware. I never really played many games on my PowerBook because I got a PS2 at around the same time and pretty much went exclusively to console gaming.

The games I've played on my Mac Pro are all on Windows, and the only PC game I'm looking forward to is Supreme Commander. My Wii and DS are going to keep me busy most of the time.

pgc6000
Nov 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
Last year when I got an HP that pretty much sucked away my mac gaming. If I get a 360 that may end up being my sole gaming machine, with a good PC game here and there.

Dane D.
Nov 29, 2006, 08:54 PM
Ok, not to sound anti-mac or pro-windows gaming, but does anybody still game regularly on their apple machines? I know, I know, the Mac is not a gaming machine. I've heard that plenty of times. But after getting a PC for gaming, sad to say but true gaming is an over all more enjoyable experience on it than my lovely powerbook. With the new consoles out to, I plan on also getting back into console gaming, which I haven't for awhile. I know my PB (specs below) isn't a fit gaming machine, but even if I had an intel mac I couldn't see myself playing games on it all to often (however, you never know). I used to have a joyous time playing games like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, and Halo on my mac, but I've since seeked elsewhere for gaming options (though I've started playing Halo on my PB again lately). So, with the new consoles out, will any of you still be gaming on your mac?

I still play UT GOTY edition online and Links Pro on my B/W G3/300. I refuse to buy a PC just to play games. Consoles suck, the controller wasn't meant for adult hands; keyboard and mouse only, for me. No way is MS getting any money from me so I can 'game'.

PlaceofDis
Nov 29, 2006, 08:57 PM
i play wow on my iMac G5 all the time. occasionally Doom 3 too but not so much anymore.

SamIchi
Nov 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
StarCraft! I still play it every now and then.

maxrobertson
Nov 29, 2006, 09:02 PM
My brother does- we have a PowerPC Mac Mini. Anyway, we bought it to replace our PC, and he seems to enjoy it. Not as many games, but there are a fair amount. I don't really play games, so it's never bothered me.

Chone
Nov 29, 2006, 09:04 PM
StarCraft! I still play it every now and then.

Oh yeah that reminds me... I do use my Macs for some nice Warcraft 3 LANs, thank Blizzard for cross-platform netplay! :)

But yeah, other than THAT my Mac is mainly used for creative/work purposes.

Church
Nov 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
Urban Terror, a Quake 3 mod, and Armagetron Advanced currently.
Both suck on my 1ghz eMac. I've been saving up for a new mac for like 3 years now... yeah... cars suck. Either way, if I ever have the money to get an intel mac, I'll game hardcore on that in bootcamp for HL2, BF2142, or whatever game is hot around then.

Eric5h5
Nov 29, 2006, 09:51 PM
Sure, there are more than enough Mac games that I'm interested in plus my dual 2.5GHz G5+X800 is still a nice machine....

--Eric

x86isslow
Nov 29, 2006, 11:27 PM
As my machine gets older, its harder to find games I can play at respectable frame rates. I never really got into FPS, so I'm not the average gamer, I'm assuming (last I checked "half life" was the "m0st aw3s0m3 thing evar").

I really like Mac gaming- Kill Monty is hands-down the coolest game I've played in a long time.

I've really liked Ambrosia's Redline, and I'm eagerly anticipating Sketch Fighter 4000.

seenew
Nov 29, 2006, 11:28 PM
Nope.

tominated
Nov 30, 2006, 12:36 AM
i usually play halo or ut2k4. sometimes CoD2

ericsthename
Nov 30, 2006, 01:51 AM
Hardly. Ever.

While the Mac has always been a platform of innovation, gaming has yet to truly come into focus. When I got my MBP, I really had high hopes for the ability of the Mac to reinstate itself in gaming. Instead I have yet to be truly impressed by it. Dual core, 2 GHZ plenty of video ram... yet the main problem holding the machine back seems to be apple's lack of support in optimizing the system. Graphics and so-on don't tell the whole story, but the essence of gaming is virtualization. Immersion in an unreal form. I can remember being stunned by the fact that my friend's ancient win 98 pc had the capacity to change the systems volume while playing, yet my fresh out the box iMac DV SE could not. Obviously an oversight in the OS department. Then OS X came, and I could finally do such simple things as changing the volume while playing, but the system itself was so incredibly ram-hungry and visually sluggish, I couldn't play the games at acceptable framerates. Not long after that, I got a gamecube and mario sunshine, then an XBox for Halo and PGR and lastly, a PS2 for GT4. Ever since I've stuck with console gaming.

angelneo
Nov 30, 2006, 02:05 AM
I still play Warcraft 3 or WoW on my Mac.

blaster_boy
Nov 30, 2006, 03:28 AM
I have a PPC mac mini, and an AMD PC that I used to play Half-Life 2 and Guildwars with, but it's too much hassle to boot it up any more, plus it's too old to play the modern day games...

But I'm awaiting delivery of my imac 24-inch (sorry, need to wipe the drool of my chin... ah that's better) and I will install BootCamp to be able to play the latest games again (but probably less than before).

I'm still hoping that Leopard will implement 'Virtual Windows', ie, you can use your bootcamp windows partition to run windows games in mac os x.... now that would be the ultimate !

Dunepilot
Nov 30, 2006, 03:42 AM
I bought a gamecube for gaming.

Same here. I don't play a lot of games on my Macs any more because I realised it was uneconomic. Buying a Gamecube didn't cost that much more than buying a retail copy of a Mac game, so it was a no-brainer eventually.

miniConvert
Nov 30, 2006, 03:43 AM
I play World of Warcraft regularly on my Mac Pro under OS X. Sure, I could probably get better frame rates under Windows, but it's so good under OS X anyway that there's no point. Plus I think OS X handles moving from full screen to windowed mode way better than Windows does.

Max Payne
Nov 30, 2006, 03:49 AM
I wish I can. I installed Win XP so I can play my favorite games. It turned out that even with my desperation to play games, I can't bare the use of windows. Now I have no games to play. I usually play 1 game a year, if the game is awesome. I hate FPS, I hate multi-player games and I hate consoles.

No place for me in the gaming industry I guess. :(

Case-sensitive
Nov 30, 2006, 04:06 AM
Not on the Mac any more. Don't have the time - too many kids. I'll sometimes play a game on the family PS2 or my eldest's PSPm or DS if everyone's out or gone to bed. No point competing with the kids.

I used to play Escape Velocity and Marathon and then got in to Black Nova Traders online until the Estonians ruined it for everyone :D

Soulstorm
Nov 30, 2006, 08:12 AM
On my G5 (before it breaks down) I play Freespace 2 (yeah, I know it's PC-only, but youy can search in these forums to see my thread about Freespace 2 on OS X), the Quake series, UT2004 (a lot of it), and warcraft 3.

slackersonly
Nov 30, 2006, 09:03 AM
wow and civ4.

fblack
Nov 30, 2006, 09:17 AM
Overall, there's been a drought of games this past year for mac. Some publishers pulled back to see how the intel transition would go. Glenda Adams from aspyr on InsideMacGames.com said that maybe they pulled back too much and were looking to release more titles in 2007.

Personally I only play COD and Halo ocassionally on my mac. I'm waiting for age of empires3 to come out for mac. Even a casual gamer like me is forced to play on a PC. I havent gotten my mac book pro yet to try bootcamp, maybe for this xmas (crossing fingers). Meanwhile, most of my gaming is on my rebuilt PC (upgraded dead mobo & new graphics card), rome total war etc.

kaltsasa
Nov 30, 2006, 09:23 AM
I still play a ton of EV: Nova, really looking forward to pencilopenglfighter45million or whatever it is :) . Still working my way through all the Spiderweb games, those will suck the days out of you. I have a group that I play Starcraft with to this day. There's a smattering of "casual" games like Collapse 3, Diner Dash, Pangea Arcade, etc... that I play off and on. To be honest there hasn't really been any big AAA games I've cared to play for some time (Civ IV maybe but I don't have the time), most of my gaming is done console style, 360, Wii, SNES, Dreamcast, DS, etc...

colocolo
Nov 30, 2006, 09:41 AM
I wish I can. I installed Win XP so I can play my favorite games. It turned out that even with my desperation to play games, I can't bare the use of windows. Now I have no games to play. I usually play 1 game a year, if the game is awesome. I hate FPS, I hate multi-player games and I hate consoles.

No place for me in the gaming industry I guess. :(

Max Payne hates FPS.:eek: I must say I would've never guessed.

Macmaniac
Nov 30, 2006, 09:46 AM
I stopped my Mac gaming about 4 months ago. I built myself a PC because I was tired of the performance issues I was having with my Mac gaming. I still play starcraft on my powerbook from time to time, but if I play Warcraft III I play it on my PC because it lags less, and has better compatibility with certain mods I play.

I got my PC to play games, that was the bottom line, games like Company of Heros, Dawn of War, Battle For Middle Earth II, Command and Conqueror Generals, and FEAR. I might use my mac again for gaming if I get an Intel Macbook in the future and use BootCamp, but for now my Mac is for work lol.

Mackilroy
Nov 30, 2006, 11:23 AM
I still play a ton of EV: Nova, really looking forward to pencilopenglfighter45million or whatever it is :) .

Sketchfighter 4000? Don't tell anyone what you've heard, but keep an eye on the Ambrosia forums this week and next week… ;)

As for gaming, I mostly play FPS and tactical shooter games on my X360, while I play strategy games and then a couple of other titles that I'm not quite sure how to classify on my Macbook (besides WoW).

Dagless
Nov 30, 2006, 11:32 AM
Nope, I play and develop on Windows. But my DS is seeing more gaming time recently (Final Fantasy 3 you GOD).

afornander
Nov 30, 2006, 01:53 PM
i play COD2 on my mac 3-4 times a week. i used to play Quake 4 nonstop, but then i beat it, and it lost its lust. i would love to play doom 3 on my mac, but whenever i try to install the universal patch it crashes ind doesnt run right. i also play n64 emu games a ton, i love Zelda oot.:D

MacsRgr8
Nov 30, 2006, 05:01 PM
Yep!

CoD 2 mostly.
Also play Nascar 2003 occasionally, while I am waiting (pretty impatiently by now...) for Colin McRae 2005.

Must admit I agree with OP. I used to have a gaming PC till a couple of months ago when it died, and the overall experience of 3D gaming on a fast PC with top grfx card, and Dolby 5.1 sound cannot be matched...

Bootcamp on a Mac Pro with the X1900 XT card and that Dolby 5.1 sound device someone mentioned in another thread, should do the trick though.

pgc6000
Nov 30, 2006, 05:23 PM
I might pick up Age of Mythology on my powerbook again...but that's it, that and Halo. I feel like consoles this time around are really starting to strut their stuff. I haven't been into console gaming forever, but if all goes well I probably will again.

QCassidy352
Nov 30, 2006, 05:24 PM
I think we need to distinguish between people who are responding "no" because they play on windows/consoles rather than a mac, and people who are responding no because they just don't play games (too busy, no interest, etc.). Unless I'm mistaken, the OP was really asking about the first category. Of course, there are tons of people on both mac and PC who don't game at all. The question is, "do you still game on the mac, as opposed to on (better) options?"

And my answer is yes, of course. Maybe if I played more demanding games I would try bootcamp (and probably not use a macbook :rolleyes: ), but for many, many games, both old and new, gaming on a mac is 100% as good as on a PC.

harveypooka
Nov 30, 2006, 05:41 PM
If they ever bring out the damned universal for GooBall I'd play it! Other than that, WoW.

Chone
Nov 30, 2006, 06:12 PM
Max Payne hates FPS.:eek: I must say I would've never guessed.

Why, you are probably saying that because Max Payne is not an FPS, I don't know, I think that would be a good reason :rolleyes:

iProd
Nov 30, 2006, 11:14 PM
A shame for lots who don't do it much anymore, PREY is going to come out in January for Mac :(

fblack
Dec 1, 2006, 12:18 AM
A shame for lots who don't do it much anymore, PREY is going to come out in January for Mac :(

That will be cool but the specs for macs might be nasty. On the prey website they recommend a pentium 4 2.5Ghz and ATI radeon X800 series card. Nevertheless, I'm impressed that aspyr is brining it to mac maybe they'll use cider?

daveIT
Dec 1, 2006, 04:45 PM
Bootcamp - F.E.A.R, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007, Sid Meier's Pirates!
OS X - Call of Duty 2, Doom 3 & Tons of NES ROMs using Nestopia

All of them play very well on my Mac Pro with max settings.

Chone
Dec 1, 2006, 04:56 PM
Bootcamp - F.E.A.R, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007, Sid Meier's Pirates!
OS X - Call of Duty 2, Doom 3 & Tons of NES ROMs using Nestopia

All of them play very well on my Mac Pro with max settings.

LIAR! I can barely open Nestopia on my Mac Pro, let alone play a game at max settings *shudders*, maybe I should give it more memory...

LastLine
Mar 11, 2007, 06:28 PM
I don't. Simple reasons?

1) I tend to play the little niche games, the ones that aren't big enough to get ported across to the Mac.

and

2) Mac games tend to be overpriced comparatively to t he same games on the PC - why pay £35 when I can pay £20?

sad I know, but still.

amd4me
Mar 11, 2007, 06:32 PM
I just got done playing Halo UB.

Old Mac Geezer
Mar 11, 2007, 08:12 PM
I just bought a Digital Audio for EQMac and when I get my CPU upgrade, I plan to play WoW on it, too. I don't plan to have any serious apps installed at all. :p

mrkramer
Mar 11, 2007, 08:16 PM
I play old games in emulators like DOSBOX on my Mac, but for any modern games it's just on consoles.

wmmk
Mar 11, 2007, 08:59 PM
I play cIV, but I'm not sure if I'd call it regularly. I'm not much of a gamer. The MBP is my primary gaming machine, if that's what you're trying to get at. I also play SuperTux, which is incredible in every way. I'm surprised nobody has made a fake religion about that little penguin yet. Anyway, including widgets, I'd say I regularly (relative to any other gaming, which is none) game on my my mac.

mistyz23
Mar 11, 2007, 09:10 PM
WoW played on my MBP and my husband's G4.

Constantly.

iBookG4user
Mar 11, 2007, 09:15 PM
I still play games on my Mac, mostly just games in emulators though. (Yes I do own the original games, it's just easier to play them on my Mac, as I can keep track of my email and such at the same time)

Cult Follower
Mar 11, 2007, 09:37 PM
I don't play games.

Bobdude161
Mar 11, 2007, 10:14 PM
Halo all the time. HaloMoto is the name. Being a noob is my game.

I have a TON of other games but Halo is all I play. It's the only game where I can just jump right in, bust a cap in a coupla masterchiefs then just get off when I'm doing badly. :)

Plutonius
Mar 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
I only game on my PowerPC Mac (i.e. no console games, PC game, etc.).

iKwick7
Mar 11, 2007, 11:10 PM
I still play Civ 4 somewhat regularly- one of my all time favorite games.

If anyone is every interested in a civ 4 game online, shoot me a pm!

aafuss1
Mar 12, 2007, 12:46 AM
I play Warcraft II, Diablo II, NHL Eastside Hockey Manager and Football Manager on my Mac mini. Other than those-I game on my PC.

voyagerd
Mar 12, 2007, 03:43 AM
My PowerMac G5 is my only gaming device. I prefer it over any console. Too bad I can't afford an Intel Mac though.

sunfast
Mar 12, 2007, 04:57 AM
I play games quite a bit on my mac as it's my only machine. I know "macs aren't for gaming" etc but it's such a shame that this is the accepted norm. Is the platform really that unsuited?

My favourite game (RtCW) runs well so I can't complain. Would like to give Halo a go but it's SO expensive for a game that's really quite old.

I've got several of the mac ports of old games that I use with files from my old windows disks like Doom & Quake

And I love the little free games that exist for the Mac:

Aqua Mines
Quinn
Pac the Man X
Soliatire XL
SuperTux

tinthehouse
Apr 12, 2007, 10:15 PM
I play tonny hock and I play with google earth, there fun!

nylock10
Apr 24, 2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah I still play games in OS X regularly.

I play...

Mac:

Call of Duty 1 & 2

Reckless Drivin'

FreeSpace

Halo

Postal 2

Starcraft

Urban Terror

Warbirds 2007

Boot Camp w/Vista:

Battlefield 2

Armed Assault

Counter-Strike Source

Day of Defeat Source

Garry's Mod

Call of Juarez (demo)

Lots of games lol

djstarrock
Apr 24, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yea I play WarCraft 3 on my MacBook regularly.

gregorsamsa
Apr 24, 2007, 01:02 PM
I stopped my Mac gaming about 4 months ago. I built myself a PC because I was tired of the performance issues I was having with my Mac gaming. I still play starcraft on my powerbook from time to time, but if I play Warcraft III I play it on my PC because it lags less, and has better compatibility with certain mods I play.

I got my PC to play games, that was the bottom line, games like Company of Heros, Dawn of War, Battle For Middle Earth II, Command and Conqueror Generals, and FEAR. I might use my mac again for gaming if I get an Intel Macbook in the future and use BootCamp, but for now my Mac is for work lol.

I may be doing likewise in the next few weeks. My PPC Mac is good for pretty much all I need...bar gaming. So I've been wavering about what to buy next to cater for some serious gaming &, as much as I'd like another Mac, a PC will be the likely choice.

Boot Camp is fine if you can afford a Mac Pro. I can't, & the graphics on consumer Macs just aren't good enough for some newer games.

crap freakboy
Apr 24, 2007, 01:07 PM
OSX Call of Duty
Don't have the time, childless people please note- i DONT HAVE THE TIME!!!

Wii for TV gaming/fun and web.

Trogloxene
Apr 24, 2007, 01:31 PM
Late at night I'll play Age of Empires III or Age of Mythology.

-T

Anonymous Freak
Apr 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
I am still working my way through LEGO Star Wars, and regularly play the Big Bang Board Games.

I used to play WoW and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but haven't had the time to play those now that I have a small kid.

As for Windows games I play on my Mac, I play an older version of Microsoft Flight Simulator in VMWare, and the newest version in Boot Camp. (Along with Vista Ultimate's Texas Hold'em.)

Bunzi2k4
Apr 24, 2007, 02:29 PM
I play a couple games on my mac. Some Street Fighter, some Star Craft, and the McVideogame. That game's a hoot I tell you.

xaoslaad
Apr 29, 2007, 06:49 PM
Nylock, what Mac are you running Armed Assault on, and what kind of performance are you getting with what settings?

I have an Alienware P4 3.6GHz laptop, with 2GB of RAM, and a 256MB GeForce 6800 Go and the game slams back and forth between 2fps and 25fps with 640x480x32 Very Low settings. It's more or less unplayable.

I have a new (refurbished) 15" 2.33 GHz C2D MacBook Pro, with 2GB of RAM, and a 256MB ATI X1600 coming. I already have Boot Camp 1.2 /Vista (I am using Vista on the laptop getting replaced) ready to install, and I am hopeful that I will get some decent performance with this game, as I like playing with the group of guys I play with; but then again this game is a resource mangler, and I worry about the X1600 being able to run it...

Other than that I only really want my Boot Camp install for Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and IL-2 1946... Diablo II and World of Warcraft I imagine will do just fine on Mac OS X.

eXan
Apr 29, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, I play games regularly on my Mac. I play UT2004, Starcraft, KOTOR mostly.

synth3tik
Apr 29, 2007, 07:14 PM
They turn your brains to mush.:p

Eric5h5
Apr 29, 2007, 07:19 PM
They turn your brains to mush.:p

Only if you're stupid to begin with. Beats watching TV, at any rate.

--Eric

zap2
Apr 29, 2007, 07:20 PM

I've always thought PC gaming was better because of market share..OSX isn't bad for gaming because of the way its works, but because of market share.

Personally I think Console are where its at

Chone
Apr 29, 2007, 11:06 PM
If WC3 lan parties and bootcamp PC games on Mac count then yes, I game regularly on my Mac :)

The thing is, Windows is just a much better gaming OS than OSX, performance, features and flexibility are just much better on Windows.

Jasonbot
Apr 30, 2007, 12:53 AM
I played Warcraft 3 on Battle.net yesterday. I thouroughly enjoyed it but am saddened that no one plays Wintermaul and more :(

eXan
Apr 30, 2007, 01:06 AM
The thing is, Windows is just a much better gaming OS than OSX, performance, features and flexibility are just much better on Windows.

The thing is, OSX is technically a better gaming OS than Windows - it has many advanced built-in and tightly integrated features and uses OpenGL for ALL of the graphics.

But the problem is, Win is much more widespread, so game developers release/optimize their games only for Win, leaving OSX with all its advancness unnoticed.

Shanesan
Apr 30, 2007, 02:04 AM
I play...

- Enemy Territory (http://files.filefront.com/6673940)
- DEFCON (http://www.everybody-dies.com)
- TC:E (http://files.filefront.com/5954026) (mod for Enemy Territory)
- World of Warcraft (doesn't deserve a link)
- OpenArena (http://openarena.ws/)
and thats about it... I think.

Oh, and no Micro$oft Windows included.

G-Force
Apr 30, 2007, 08:10 AM
I only play UT2004 sometimes. I don't play games that much, but UT2004 is enough to keep me out of Windows. So, no Windows installed on my Mac. ;)

Chone
Apr 30, 2007, 08:11 PM
The thing is, OSX is technically a better gaming OS than Windows - it has many advanced built-in and tightly integrated features and uses OpenGL for ALL of the graphics.

But the problem is, Win is much more widespread, so game developers release/optimize their games only for Win, leaving OSX with all its advancness unnoticed.

That is debatable. DirectX is in some aspects a better API than OpenGL and OpenGL tight integration in the OS causes stability but it does cause some overhead (I remember reading this from a Mac developer, wish I had a link), hence why even equally optimized games (like Blizzard's) still perform worse on Mac OS X.

Even so, the whole point is that Windows is the better gaming platform, potential means nothing because we all know Apple apparently hates games.

j2thav
May 9, 2007, 11:29 PM
I game on my stock 2 Ghz Macbook quite often and it works pretty well. Call of Duty 2, Medal of Honor and Warcraft III all work just fine with only 512 mb of ram and the intel chipset. Plus, I've just ordered 2 gigs of ram, so I should be getting even better FPS soon. :D Those who say you can't game on a Macbook are totally wrong. Perhaps if what you care about is maxing out the graphics, then yes, you will want to go with something a bit more powerful. Plus, it will probably not be able to handle newer games that well (although I am quite impressed with COD2's performance on the MB).

The only drawback to games on Macs is the unwillingness on the part of game developers to create Mac versions of games, leaving it up to companies Aspyr to port games over. Even some of the most popular PC games never make it to Mac (Counter Strike, for example). For this reason, I have been considering building my own gaming PC. Not only that, but I have to admit the performance would be much better. Until that happens, though, my MB will work just fine. :)

*HOA*Maxmus
May 10, 2007, 12:37 AM
Play Macrumors Halo (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=293106&page=8) with us. I need to make sure I get the time zone right :D :apple:

MarsUltor
May 10, 2007, 08:50 AM
Consoles suck, the controller wasn't meant for adult hands

Seriously? I have huge hands, and am a big advocate for console games... the controller is by no means not meant for adult hands (sorry for the double negative)... in fact most of the controllers out are designed to fit the average adullt (most likely male) hand... granted, my hands are larger than that, but it is still fairly comfortable... i guess, it is all opinion when comfort is concerned, but by no means are console controllers not meant for adult hands, because that is further from the truth... case in point, the majority of consoles (and games) are advertised to adult (and post pubescent) people (primarily males)... that leads to the question, why would they design a controller to not fit the majority of console users?

back on topic, i barely use my mac for gaming anymore, unless i want to play something like C&C, or something like that... the rest of my gaming is on consoles... currently playing on a Wii, and PS3

amd4me
May 10, 2007, 06:24 PM
Just wrapped up AOE3 man that was a blast.

Bigewilson
May 10, 2007, 09:47 PM
I went to the Apple store online and was suprised to note that half of what came up under a game search were Ipod accessories. I am tired of hearing that this or that Mac isn't good enough for serious gamers when they only sell 14 games! I recommend Savage from some UK company if you haven't tried it I really enjoyed the Demo. Looks like they have a sequel too!!!

Shotgun Pete
May 11, 2007, 02:11 AM
I play Tremulous, its open source FPS thats fun.

P.s. why is this just a forum thread and not a poll.

dr34mr
May 22, 2007, 11:16 PM
I use my :apple: Mac (MacPro 2.66, 8Gb Ram, x1900xt, OSX 10.4.9) for work and a PC (P4 3.4Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, gForce 7600GT 512mb, Windows Vista Ultimate x64) for entertainment. This works great for me, I have never played a game on my Mac.

I work in Graphic Design and multimedia, I use Adobe CS3 DP and FCS2 on my mac, and get into work, if i need a break or I'm waiting for something to render/process/etc i can turn to my PC and game away. I also use my PC for cross-platform testing. Occasionally I'll use the PC for design work too.

Its quite funny, people like to ask if I'm a Mac person or a PC person... So i tell them i'm both! :D

x86isslow
May 22, 2007, 11:25 PM
I've started playing WC3 online again. sn: Gulmargha

mahashel
May 23, 2007, 02:29 PM
I haven't played a game on any of my Macs in years.

It troubles me that Apple has no real hardware offering for the higher-end gaming market. Yes, the Mac Pro is very fast, but it seems to me like using a Mac Pro for gaming is a bit like swatting a fly with a Peterbilt.
It's a "chicken vs egg" problem.
- Apple doesn't release a gaming system since there is a dearth of Mac games. *Not worth the investment.*
- Very few people buy Macs for gaming since "everyone" knows they're not high-end gaming machines.
- Game developers decide not to code for Macs since nobody uses Apple systems for gaming. *Not worth the investment.*
And the vicious cycle continues...