Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richjtg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
UK
I'm no Mac expert, and have been lucky with my PPC Mac Mini for over a year now...

When I try to shut down my Mini, everything seems as normal - OSX closes down, the fans stop, and the video output ceases.

However, the power light has now decided that it doesn't want to go out.

The machine can be restarted, using the power button on its rear, so it must think it's off... it's just that no one has told the light.

Being a relative noob, the only thing I've tried so far (apart from Googling!) is to run the various maintenance scripts via Onyx, to see if anything was just slightly out of place.

I don't suppose anyone could suggest what I could try next? :eek:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Have you tried a forced shutdown, i.e. holding in the power button until it shuts down? If the light is on, the machine is not shut down. Presumably it doesn't pulse as if it's asleep. Once you've shut it down, I'd try running it through Disk Utility after starting up from the OS X CD, which can catch a lot of things running DU from your startup disk won't. If it persists, I'd imagine it's a hardware fault, but you should try resetting Open Firmware too, before you give up.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I'm no Mac expert, and have been lucky with my PPC Mac Mini for over a year now...

When I try to shut down my Mini, everything seems as normal - OSX closes down, the fans stop, and the video output ceases.

However, the power light has now decided that it doesn't want to go out.

The machine can be restarted, using the power button on its rear, so it must think it's off... it's just that no one has told the light.

Being a relative noob, the only thing I've tried so far (apart from Googling!) is to run the various maintenance scripts via Onyx, to see if anything was just slightly out of place.

I don't suppose anyone could suggest what I could try next? :eek:

do you by chance have a powered usb hub on your mini? ie. one with a seperate power plug for the wall socket. these keep sending power thru usb and mini's for some reason keep the light on even though the mini itself is off.

if you have a powered hub just try unplugging the power cord when the mini is off and the light still on and see what happenes.

richjtg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
UK
Thanks for your replies folks - much appreciated.

I've been actioning your kind suggestions, and I've narrowed it down to a powered USB hub. :eek:

I feel like such a newbie when it comes to all things Mac! :eek:

Thanks again for your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.