Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
My iMac G5 (rev A) shuts down immediately after i put it to sleep mode after just starting up the computer. The longer the computer has been on before I put it to sleep, the longer it takes for the computer to shut down while in sleep mode. This problem just recently started, anyone know what the problem is?

I already did the hardware test and it said there were no problems :(

Thanks in advance for any help.

paintballer

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Utah
Check the power supply. In my old PC the same thing happened and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I tried everything I even did a clean install of windows on it and it would still do that. I eventually just took it in and found out that my PC's internal power supply was screwed up.

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Check the power supply. In my old PC the same thing happened and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I tried everything I even did a clean install of windows on it and it would still do that. I eventually just took it in and found out that my PC's internal power supply was screwed up.

ok thanks, i'll see if that is the problem

Plus, try resetting the SMU. Also, unplug all third party hardware. :)

resetting the SMU and unplugging 3rd party hardware didn't work :(

thanks for the tips though :)

otterpop

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
dude, if you are involved in the repair program, DO NOT WAIT. This same thing started for me a few months ago, and I left it alone, as I was too busy with school to flatten the hard drive and take it in.
as of this morning, it doesn't boot period.
if you do the LED diagnostic, it just sits there and flashes LED1 really fast.
NOT HAPPY. just back up your data and take it in immediately, save yourself the hassle.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Whilst it was just under Applecare - think it was a week before it ran out - my Rev.A iMac shut down whilst in sleep mode and never came back on. It was dead. Nothing could revive it.

Apple did what they always do - replaced the mainboard. It came back to me and had this problem you describe, except that it would even shut down whenever the screen dimmed, about half of the time.

I didn't want to be without a computer for two weeks again, so I looked around online and saw the Repair Extension Program. They sent me a new power supply, which I fitted myself in about a minute.

That solved the random shutting down, but going into Sleep Mode would still just shut down the computer.

It was still doing it when I sold it on eBay.

Really, I am not sure what the problem is. :(

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Is your iMac covered in this repair program? :)

Thanks for the heads up, my SN is W844xxxxxx so I guess I'm eligible :)

dude, if you are involved in the repair program, DO NOT WAIT. This same thing started for me a few months ago, and I left it alone, as I was too busy with school to flatten the hard drive and take it in.
as of this morning, it doesn't boot period.
if you do the LED diagnostic, it just sits there and flashes LED1 really fast.
NOT HAPPY. just back up your data and take it in immediately, save yourself the hassle.

don't worry, i'm gonna take it to the apple store ASAP :)

Whilst it was just under Applecare - think it was a week before it ran out - my Rev.A iMac shut down whilst in sleep mode and never came back on. It was dead. Nothing could revive it.

Apple did what they always do - replaced the mainboard. It came back to me and had this problem you describe, except that it would even shut down whenever the screen dimmed, about half of the time.

I didn't want to be without a computer for two weeks again, so I looked around online and saw the Repair Extension Program. They sent me a new power supply, which I fitted myself in about a minute.

That solved the random shutting down, but going into Sleep Mode would still just shut down the computer.

It was still doing it when I sold it on eBay.

Really, I am not sure what the problem is. :(

i'm willing to wait the two weeks... hopefully i won't have anymore problems :/

i've already had to replace the logic board after my screen started to become glitchy last year

otterpop

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
I took mine in today, what I hadn't noticed was the power supply took out the capacitors on the mainboard at the same time. they ordered a new one and said it's under the warranty extention.
Durring this time, I have been questioned on my choice of Apple (hurr hurr wha? something went wrong with your mac? hurr hurr) but no other computer company in the world would extend their base warranty an additional 2 years.

So the moral is, take your poor mac into the shop. (not that you really need that to be said again)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
...but no other computer company in the world would extend their base warranty an additional 2 years...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I don't mind how long the warranty is so long as the customer service is reasonable and the end result is a functioning machine. :)

otterpop

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
it's an amazingly good thing.
it's too bad all other computer manufacturers will not stand behind their products the same way Apple does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.