PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Who's Going To MWSF 2007" thread - Meet up at Macworld

Flowbee
Nov 30, 2006, 09:08 PM
I noticed that Other World Computing has posted their free Macworld Exhibition Hall pass (http://eshop.macsales.com/Macworld/) and was wondering who was planning to go to the show this year. I've used OWC's free pass every year for the past three years and have never had any problems. It's a great way to check out all your favorite developers and vendors.

So who else will be there, and who's traveling the farthest?

EDIT: We've put together a plan so that we can all get a chance to meet each other during MacWorld. Every day of the expo, there'll be an informal meet-up of MacRumors members at 3:00pm in the "Horseshoe Lounge" area of the South Hall's street-level lobby. Photos and diagram here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3208175&postcount=64). No RSVP is required, and you're welcome to stop by just one day, or every day.

The Big Meet-Up
We're designating the first day of the Expo, Tuesday, Jan. 9th, as the BIG MEET-UP. It seems like most people are planning to be there that day, so it's the best chance to meet other MacRumors members. If you can only make it to one, this should be it. 3:00 at the horseshoe lounge location (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3208175&postcount=64).

Here's the list (so far) of MR members who have said they will be at Macworld:

1. Flowbee
2. vniow
3. devilot (maybe)
4. cuestakid
5. CHROMEDOME
6. screensaver400
7. WildCowboy
8. breal8406
9. BigPrince
10. andyh2
11. mike3k
12. brianbobcat
13. Kodex
14. solvs
15. arn
16. craigverse
17. IJ Reilly
18. slobeck
19. Silencio

Hope to see you there.

wmmk
Nov 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
wow, hadn't seen the pass. thanks for pointing it out! my family is probably going to SF in spring or summer, but winter break is early this year, and I believe I get back to school the 9th. maybe i could convince my parents to let me miss one day of schol (which would never happen) and go to SF in winter.

Demon Hunter
Nov 30, 2006, 10:41 PM
My dad is trying to get us tickets as media... but they're in high demand...

vniow
Nov 30, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ooh, neato. I just registered. Looks like I'm going this year. :D

Flowbee
Dec 1, 2006, 01:14 PM
So that's it? Nobody else from MacRumors is planning to be there? :confused:

devilot
Dec 1, 2006, 01:35 PM
So that's it? Nobody else from MacRumors is planning to be there? :confused:When I read your thread title I was thinking how I botched it last year ('cause I got free passes and did NOT go) and how I'd like to go this year if only I could get in for free. :p

So I guess I'll try to go this year... :D Thanks for posting that link, Flowbee.

:edit: Can the same priority code be used multiple times? Wanna register the bf, too.

:edit again: Same priority code can be reused. :p

wmmk
Dec 1, 2006, 01:49 PM
ooh, Demon Hunter gave me a great idea! I could convince my dad to write a story about some new building in SF. any good new architecture there?

vniow
Dec 1, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hm, three so far. Perhaps this thread should be moved somewhere where it could gather more attention, like Community. Stickyed maybe?

Mammoth
Dec 1, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hum... how old do you have to be to attend?

devilot
Dec 1, 2006, 05:18 PM
Hum... how old do you have to be to attend?From the Macworld Expo's FAQs (http://macworldexpo.com/live/20/register///CC739315):

A registered adult MUST accompany children UNDER the age of 16. Children under the age of five receive free admission.

sethypoo
Dec 1, 2006, 05:20 PM
I'd love to go, but I really want to see the keynote, and that costs a lot of money. Is there a cheap student rate for the keynote that anyone knows of?

devilot
Dec 1, 2006, 05:26 PM
I sort of doubt it. I think they realize that the Keynote pulls in a lot of higher priced admission tickets. ;) Looking briefly at the different tickets here (http://macworldexpo.com/live/20/register), it seems like the cheapest ticket to see the Keynote runs ~$215 ("Users Conference").

sethypoo
Dec 1, 2006, 05:41 PM
Yes, I know about the $215 cost. I wish they had a cheaper option. Less than $100 would be a lot easier for me. Oh well, I'll just save for next year! For now, I got one of the OWC free exhibit hall passes.

cuestakid
Dec 6, 2006, 01:34 AM
i just got my pass and registered and am going with a friend-its during my winter break so i dont have to worry about missing class-i think i may win the contest for who is the closest-i live on stanford campus were my dad teaches so i just have to take cal trans to the city and walk to the expo

vniow
Dec 6, 2006, 06:42 PM
So now that we have a few people registered, anyone willing to volunteer to help organise a meetup of sorts? I'm certainly willing to (considering I live here) but I need to get a feel of how many people are actually interested,

charkshark
Dec 7, 2006, 12:58 AM
I'd really like to go, not sure if I can though, I get back to school on the 8th, so I'd have to miss a few days, chances are, not gonna happen, I'm begging them!

PS: Thanks for the free passes, I'll register when I am fairly confident I'm going.

CHROMEDOME
Dec 7, 2006, 12:00 PM
I signed up a while ago...I'm STOKED!

screensaver400
Dec 8, 2006, 04:27 PM
I signed up for the Users Conference. I get the Jobs keynote, as well as an event with Dr. Tiki and Johnny Johnny. Sweet!

Chundles
Dec 10, 2006, 08:48 PM
I look just like Johnny Johnny - when my Mum saw the Apple home page (I'd left it as the home page on my folks' computer last time I went there) she rang me up asking why I was on the front of the Apple website.

Anyhoo, I'm not going but it's going to be another epic staying awake event with daylight saving pushing the keynote time to ~5:30am.

Silencio
Dec 11, 2006, 10:55 AM
I'm considering blowing some money on the MacIT conferences and attempting to hit the keynote, but I'll probably just give the show floor a cursory walkthrough like I always do. But yeah: I'll be there one way or the other.

WildCowboy
Dec 11, 2006, 02:33 PM
So now that we have a few people registered, anyone willing to volunteer to help organise a meetup of sorts? I'm certainly willing to (considering I live here) but I need to get a feel of how many people are actually interested,

Okay, I just signed up for the free Exhibit Hall pass. I'd also be willing to help coordinate a meet-up. I'm still not sure what my schedule will be like then and how much I'll be able to attend, but count me in!

Mord
Dec 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
It's a toss up between being broke for two months and going or not going and being slightly less broke......

It would cost me specifically about £200 to do which is not too bad but still a chunk of change.

wmmk
Dec 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
dang, dad said we can't go! rats.

well, my mom just started a blog, maybe i can convince her that MWSF is the best place for iWeb tips:)

Kingsly
Dec 24, 2006, 02:21 AM
Okay, I just signed up for the free Exhibit Hall pass. I'd also be willing to help coordinate a meet-up. I'm still not sure what my schedule will be like then and how much I'll be able to attend, but count me in!

I'm down for a meet-up. I am about 90% sure I'm going... the thing is I have to be back to LAX on the 13th for my flight to tokyo. :D

breal8406
Dec 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
I'm going to MacWorld. I bought a user pass a few weeks ago. Dad followed suit since I've been home from school (30 mins from SF). So he got us tickets for 1 night at the Marriott down the street from Moscone! Paid BIG bucks for the hotel room thought...I felt kinda bad...

Oh well...Stevenote alone should be worth the sacrifice. I'm really exicited..

BigPrince
Dec 27, 2006, 02:43 AM
My first post woot!

I will be attending as part of the "Users Conference." I will be flying all the way from Pennslyvania. It's my first Macworld and I am really excited.

Ktulu
Dec 27, 2006, 09:32 AM
My work is sending myself and another developer to FlashForward....which is being hosted by Macworld this year.

I'll be there for the keynote and to check out some of the new "toys" everyone has to offer.

This is the first time I am going to a Macworld, so it should be interesting to see what it is like...Live:D

Silencio
Dec 29, 2006, 06:57 PM
Well, heck -- looks like my MWSF is going to be very brief this year, as I have to go down to LA Wednesday the 10th through Friday the 12th. I'm going to have to cram everything in on Tuesday the 9th. So much for a leisurely stroll through the halls -- it's going to be a real hit-and-run affair this time.

GoCubsGo
Dec 30, 2006, 04:48 PM
If I did not have to be in New York I'd go.

andyh2
Dec 30, 2006, 10:10 PM
I'm going on the 11th. I live about 20 mins. away!

Quboid
Dec 30, 2006, 10:26 PM
What is the actual cost off getting in?

mike3k
Jan 1, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'll be there. I bought a user conference pass, so I can see the keynote (whether I'll actually be able to get in is another question).

BigPrince
Jan 1, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'll be there. I bought a user conference pass, so I can see the keynote (whether I'll actually be able to get in is another question).

What do you mean, is it normally crowded for the Keynote? Should I get there super duper early to make sure I get a seat? I am flying 3,000 miles to see this lol.

brianbobcat
Jan 1, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm attending the Final Cut Pro Power Tools conference, so you bet your bottom I'm gonna be both there and the keynote. Who knows, I may see some of you in passing, of corse neither of us are gonna know who the other is, so it won't really matter anyways.

Good Expo I hope though.

-Brian

BigPrince
Jan 1, 2007, 11:53 PM
Here is my official plan. Let me know if anyone wants to sit next to me or if a bunch of MR people want to band together on site and maybe have lunch together. In addition if you reccomend a change for a better session or something else I can do, please let me know.

01/09/2007 Tuesday
09:00 AM - 11:00 AM Keynote

01/10/2007 Wednesday

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Macworld Live! with David Pogue

11:00AM - 12:15 PM The Best of Mac OS X Hints

1:15 PM - 2:30 PM Windows on a Mac

2:45 PM - 3:45 PM Macworld Best of Show 2007

4:15 PM - 5:30 PM Creating a Digital Portfolio with iLife

01/11/2007 Thursday

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM MacBrainiac Challenge

11:00 AM - 12:15 PM iPod: Fully Loaded

1:15 PM - 2:30 PM Mac OS X Wizardry

3:30 PM - 4:45 PM Record, Produce, and Publish Your Podcast with iLife- GarageBand, iMovie and More

IJ Reilly
Jan 2, 2007, 12:27 AM
Just a little advice from a MWSF veteran: If you guys are hoping to meet up with other MacRumors members, you should pick a couple of dates and times and agree to hang out in one of the "conversation pit" areas at the ground level of South Hall. This is the most comfortable place in the building to sit.

Kodex
Jan 2, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'll be there all week and would be down with a meet-up.

BigPrince
Jan 2, 2007, 01:13 AM
How are things food wise?

solvs
Jan 2, 2007, 02:48 AM
I'll be there, but I'll be with my Sis and her bf. Pretty much just tagging along with them. She doesn't like to plan, so I have no idea what we'll be doing. Her bf gets to watch the keynote. Lucky bastard.

Maybe I'll see some of you there. I look like me, plus ten pounds. Damn holiday cooking.

devman
Jan 2, 2007, 06:10 AM
I look just like Johnny Johnny - when my Mum saw the Apple home page (I'd left it as the home page on my folks' computer last time I went there) she rang me up asking why I was on the front of the Apple website.

Anyhoo, I'm not going but it's going to be another epic staying awake event with daylight saving pushing the keynote time to ~5:30am.

Hey chundles, what part of oz are you in (or are you in NZ then?). my iCal entry shows this as 4am (AEST) so I wanna be sure I haven't messed the time up somehow? (or do you mean 5:30am by the end of the keynote?)

IJ Reilly
Jan 2, 2007, 11:08 AM
How are things food wise?

Within the Moscone Center, pretty terrible -- expensive and not good. A much better bet is to walk over to the Metreon Center, which is very close by. The food court has some good selections. I'm a big fan of the Long Life Noodle Company.

devilot
Jan 2, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm a big fan of the Long Life Noodle Company.Mm. I like their chow-fun. :D

IJ Reilly
Jan 2, 2007, 11:21 AM
Mm. I like their chow-fun. :D

I like the Dragon's Breath -- so watch out! ;)

WildCowboy
Jan 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
Okay, so when do people want to meet up? Do we want to do a drinks and dinner outing, or just drinks, or something even less formal?

I'm up for something any evening except possibly Wednesday. I can probably make it then in a pinch, but I'd have to cancel another commitment.

Location? Meet up at Moscone and move on from there? Meet at a restaurant? There are a number of restaurants within just a block or two...there's the Metreon's upscale food court, Thirsty Bear (tapas and good microbrews), Buca di Beppo (family-style Italian), Chevy's (Mexican, er, American chain restaurant Mexican, but I like it just fine)...I'm sure there are some other options that I'm missing off the top of my head, so feel free to suggest others. Things will obviously be busy in the area due to MW, so we may to have to plan ahead with reservations of some sort if we're going to dinner...ballpark numbers probably okay, but we'll need something.

What's good for you folks?

IJ Reilly
Jan 2, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'm full of suggestions, if only because I've been through this exercise many times before (I used to belong to another online group that got together at MWSF.) Mass dinners are difficult to organize and problematic. Somebody has to take charge, keep a count and make the reservations -- essential for a large group. Some people won't be able to make it on any given night. Then, even after you get to the restaurant, you only get to talk to the people on either side of you and across the table. Somebody always seems to depart early without leaving enough money to cover their meal. It's just a less than ideal situation all-around, IMO. If meeting other MR members is the objective, I strongly recommend picking one or two times a day on more than one day to gather at the seating areas in South Hall. Agree to mark your badges in some unique way. Smaller more manageable groups will form to go off for lunch, dinner or drinks. This really does work better than trying to get everyone into one restaurant.

vniow
Jan 2, 2007, 12:33 PM
Smaller more manageable groups will form to go off for lunch, dinner or drinks. This really does work better than trying to get everyone into one restaurant.

I like this idea better, its far more likely that more people would be down for that instead of trying to organise into a large restaurant given they probably have other plans rather than to meet other MR members.

I'm down to having little badges or something so we can all recognise each other.

This is one time where a booth would be useful...

BigPrince
Jan 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
Well, I am 18, so I can't drink, so no bar hopping for me. I am up for anything within 2-3 blocks to meet up for lunch. It would be silly for me to eat all alone with other MR people lurking around. Maybe we should all wear bow ties or something!

In addition, did yall get anything back in the mail yet from them? Are we supposed too?

WildCowboy
Jan 2, 2007, 06:02 PM
I got an envelope full of info and my credentials...it came within a week of registering.

IJ Reilly
Jan 2, 2007, 06:29 PM
In addition, did yall get anything back in the mail yet from them? Are we supposed too?

It depends. If you register before a cutoff deadline, they mail you the badge. Otherwise you need to pick it up at the Expo.

BigPrince
Jan 2, 2007, 06:37 PM
I got an envelope full of info and my credentials...it came within a week of registering.

OK, I called and only people that registered just for the exhibits only got anything in the mail. For people that registered for the conference, they have to pick them up in person. They need to bring the receipt and a form of identification.

solvs
Jan 2, 2007, 08:26 PM
I got a little credit card looking thing in the mail. I'll be bringing it all with me just in case. The only thing I can commit to is being at the Axiotron presentation at the OWC booth at about 2:30PM for some big announcement (http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/macworldexpo/mwsfo2007.html). And even that I can't commit to really. Too bad we don't have hats or something.

BigPrince
Jan 2, 2007, 08:28 PM
Bow Ties

vniow
Jan 2, 2007, 08:29 PM
Bow Ties

I don't think so.

IJ Reilly
Jan 2, 2007, 08:55 PM
I don't think so.

Hey I like bow ties -- tying one is a lost sartorial art!

Okay, short of bow ties: Take a business card, turn it vertically and write "MacRumors" (or "MR") on the back, near the top. Insert it in your badge holder behind the plastic badge.

If you don't have a business card, they can be found in abundance on the Expo floor. ;)

BigPrince
Jan 2, 2007, 08:57 PM
I cheat and wear the clip on bow ties.

We gotta come up with something cool, maybe a secret hand signal.

vniow
Jan 2, 2007, 09:01 PM
We gotta come up with something cool, maybe a secret hand signal.

I for one am not opposed to the idea of wearing strategically placed Apple jewellery to stand out of the crowd.

:D

Aniej
Jan 2, 2007, 09:13 PM
Okay, so when do people want to meet up? Do we want to do a drinks and dinner outing, or just drinks, or something even less formal?

You gona wait for me for next year when I can make it my friend?

What Pennsylvania are you from? don't tell me you voted for lynn swann and rick santorum....

BigPrince
Jan 2, 2007, 09:17 PM
Poconos. I am conservative, but could not bring myself to vote for our conservative canadidates, but I did not want to support the democratic opposition, so I did not vote. Might of not been the smartest thing to do, but I'm young.

arn
Jan 3, 2007, 10:52 PM
I'll be at MWSF all week. Where are people meeting?

arn

WildCowboy
Jan 3, 2007, 10:58 PM
Nothing's been set in stone yet. I like the idea of meeting up in one of the lounges and having everybody with the business card/piece of paper sticking out of their badge holder with "MR" on it so that we can identify each other.

Since I only have the Exhibit Hall pass, I likely won't be spending all that much time there, but I'll schedule things so that I can be there for any meet-ups. I'll likely not be there during or immediately after the keynote, as I'd rather follow it from the comforts of my home on MRLive than with my ear pressed up against the auditorium wall.

I'm up for just about anything anytime, so maybe someone with more constraints on their schedule can suggest a day and time for the meet-up.

vniow
Jan 3, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'll be at MWSF all week. Where are people meeting?

Don't think we've decided yet. IJ suggested the seating area of the South Hall and I'm inclined to trust him since he's planned stuff like this before but nothing definite as of now.

This is one area where a booth may be helpful. Hint hint... ;)

I'm down for afternoon scheduling/meetups since I can work in the mornings that week if I can be arsed to get up early.

IJ Reilly
Jan 4, 2007, 12:43 AM
I'd recommend setting a time later in the afternoon, say 3:00 PM each day of the show. I know this is when my dogs are usually getting pretty tired and I'm looking for a sit-down.

There are four semi-circular seating areas on the ground level of South Hall, at the top of the escalators. I say just pick one, and a time, and see who shows up.

Mac'Mo
Jan 4, 2007, 09:11 AM
please someone post picts or synopsis of it, i wont be going =(

Flowbee
Jan 4, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'd recommend setting a time later in the afternoon, say 3:00 PM each day of the show. I know this is when my dogs are usually getting pretty tired and I'm looking for a sit-down.

There are four semi-circular seating areas on the ground level of South Hall, at the top of the escalators. I say just pick one, and a time, and see who shows up.

A 3:00 meeting every afternoon sounds like a good plan to me.

Here's some more info about the four seating areas that IJ speaks of... They're officially called the Horseshoe Lounge(s) and are in the street-level lobby (officially the upper lobby) of the South Hall.

On the floor plan picture below, you can see the four horseshoe booths. I've marked one with an "X." If there are no objections, let's call that "MacRumors HQ." If you're coming up the escalators from the exhibition, it's the booth left-most booth. If you're coming in from the street, it's the right-most booth.

IJ Reilly
Jan 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
Works for me. Just look at that poor lonely guy with the laptop. He's waiting for some company. :)

vniow
Jan 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
Works for me too. So is this going to be a daily thing and who's going to be there every day?

davidnaquino
Jan 4, 2007, 01:44 PM
It's great to hear so many young people are going to macworld, I'll be going next year for sure. Every one have a good time.

Oh, BTW, if products are announced as "ships today" then only flagship stores will have the products available immediately in-store right?

WildCowboy
Jan 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
Oh, BTW, if products are announced as "ships today" then only flagship stores will have the products available immediately in-store right?

Even then, the flagships may not have them for a few days. (For those headed to MWSF, it's only a two-block walk to go check. :D )

3:00 at the marked horseshoe lounge sounds great to me. I think I can make that any day next week. Like vniow, it would help if people knew what day(s) they'll likely participate in this. I'll probably only spend part of one day checking out the Exhibit Hall, and I can make that any of the days...I just need to know which one to choose! :)

BigPrince
Jan 4, 2007, 03:28 PM
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Macworld Live! with David Pogue

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM MacBrainiac Challenge

Anyone interested?

h?
Jan 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
I have a free Exhibit Hall code if anyone wants it. Im in the UK so cant use it. Send me an email and ill give it to you. First come first serve if it only works once.

dolphin842
Jan 4, 2007, 05:03 PM
3:00 at the marked horseshoe lounge sounds great to me. I think I can make that any day next week. Like vniow, it would help if people knew what day(s) they'll likely participate in this. I'll probably only spend part of one day checking out the Exhibit Hall, and I can make that any of the days...I just need to know which one to choose! :)

I'm not heading to MacWorld myself, but FWIW I set up a Doodle poll to hopefully help those who won't be there everyday to figure out when it would be best to drop by.

http://www.doodle.ch/dpjVChGEkFWh

Hopefully you folks can get a good turnout... have fun!

vniow
Jan 4, 2007, 05:11 PM
I'm not heading to MacWorld myself, but FWIW I set up a Doodle poll to hopefully help those who won't be there everyday to figure out when it would be best to drop by.

That is way cool. This should be linked in the beginning of the thread among other prominent places.

WildCowboy
Jan 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
Very cool...I've Doodled. I'm saying Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are okay for me, as the Exhibit Hall isn't open on Monday and it shuts down at 3:00 on Friday (and Friday isn't great for me anyway).

vniow
Jan 4, 2007, 05:18 PM
Very cool...I've Doodled. I'm saying Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are okay for me, as the Exhibit Hall isn't open on Monday and it shuts down at 3:00 on Friday (and Friday isn't great for me anyway).

Oh, didn't know that about Monday and Friday. I only have an Exhibit Hall pass so I guess one or both of those is out...

WildCowboy
Jan 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
Oh, didn't know that about Monday and Friday. I only have an Exhibit Hall pass so I guess one or both of those is out...

Yep...I'm looking at the info they sent along with my Exhibit Hall pass and it lists the following hours:

Tuesday 11-6
Wednesday 10-6
Thursday 10-6
Friday 10-4

Rocketman
Jan 4, 2007, 06:31 PM
I'm attending the Final Cut Pro Power Tools conference, so you bet your bottom I'm gonna be both there and the keynote. Who knows, I may see some of you in passing, of corse neither of us are gonna know who the other is, so it won't really matter anyways.

Good Expo I hope though.

-Brian

Wear black armbands with a white Apple logo on them :)

craigverse
Jan 4, 2007, 06:34 PM
I'll be there. I've got a Users Conference pass. I went last year as well.

BigPrince
Jan 4, 2007, 10:06 PM
I'll be there. I've got a Users Conference pass. I went last year as well.

What sessions?

jwilson511
Jan 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
Just to let you all know.... we have our Free MacWorld pass online too, and it's available to anyone.

See the following URL: http://www.lithiumcorp.com/content/view/84/168/

At that URL you'll find our PRIORITY CODE and the URL to use to register for a Free MacWorld pass. Make sure you drop by and see us at booth S1338 too! :)

brianbobcat
Jan 4, 2007, 11:49 PM
Wear black armbands with a white Apple logo on them :)

Rocketman, does that mean that you're going to the FCP Power Tools workshop or the keynote, or both? I actually do have a black sweatband that I could wear if I remember to bring it. I plan on getting in line for the keynote early, so look for the 18 y/o idiot wearing the black armband.

-Brian

BigPrince
Jan 4, 2007, 11:50 PM
We should do a group chat with everyone on AIM or something. I've gotten to know 2 people already through aim!

Post you eta here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=266371

Flowbee
Jan 5, 2007, 01:49 AM
3:00 at the marked horseshoe lounge sounds great to me. I think I can make that any day next week. Like vniow, it would help if people knew what day(s) they'll likely participate in this.

I like the idea of keeping a standing 3:00 meeting every day of the expo, since we'll all have different schedules. Some of us may show up on several days, just to see who else is there.

But if we want to set one BIG meeting that everybody should plan to attend, I suggest Wednesday, Jan. 10th, 3:00 at the horseshoe. By then, some of the craziness of the first day will have died down, and we'll all have had a chance to see the new stuff on display in the Apple booth, and around the exhibition halls.

Sound like a plan?

WildCowboy
Jan 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
I like the idea of keeping a standing 3:00 meeting every day of the expo, since we'll all have different schedules. Some of us may show up on several days, just to see who else is there.

But if we want to set one BIG meeting that everybody should plan to attend, I suggest Wednesday, Jan. 10th, 3:00 at the horseshoe. By then, some of the craziness of the first day will have died down, and we'll all have had a chance to see the new stuff on display in the Apple booth, and around the exhibition halls.

Sound like a plan?

I like that plan. We've only had four people participate in the Doodle poll linked on the previous page, so I'd like to see some more input about people's availability, but Wednesday sounds like a great option for a major MacRumors meet-up!

Rocketman
Jan 5, 2007, 10:06 AM
Rocketman, does that mean that you're going to the FCP Power Tools workshop or the keynote, or both? I actually do have a black sweatband that I could wear if I remember to bring it. I plan on getting in line for the keynote early, so look for the 18 y/o idiot wearing the black armband.

-Brian

I will not be at Macworld or the Stevenote. I am enjoying a vacation in the beatuiful southern California mountains where we just received decorative snow last night. (2 inches is no more than decorative).

I for one look forward to iTV, which if it does about what I wish, my parents will be getting so they can actually use DVR for a change.

My second "look for" item is a video iPod able to view videos in some real and helpful way.

My third look for item is the ApplePhone simply because that means Apple will have sensational financial performance in 2007 and be on the road to widespread mobile broadband deployment in 2008.

Rocketman

IJ Reilly
Jan 5, 2007, 11:25 AM
I like that plan. We've only had four people participate in the Doodle poll linked on the previous page, so I'd like to see some more input about people's availability, but Wednesday sounds like a great option for a major MacRumors meet-up!

We'll be at this all weekend if we wait for a consensus (let alone agreement) to emerge, so I say let's go for the 3:00 PM plan, each day, at the western-most lounge area (on the right, as you enter South Hall from the street). Stick a business card vertically in your badge holder with your screen name written on the back, or just "MacRumors" if you're shy. I can probably make it Tuesday and/or Wednesday.

BigPrince
Jan 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
On Wednesday there is a show open to everyone:

We could have a MR cheering section.

dolphin842
Jan 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
Alas, the poll didn't work out...

As for tacking things on the conference calendar, I just ran into an announcement from Leo Laporte and the MacBreak team... they're inviting people to get together for a taping of MacBreak Weekly on Tuesday evening... apparently there'll be prizes and such (you Californians get all the fun ;))

Come see Merlin, Alex, Scott, and Leo along with many Mac luminaries during our live taping of MacBreak Weekly, Tuesday, January 9, at the 21st Amendment brew pub, 563 2nd Street in San Francisco. Alex tells me we have several thousand dollars worth of prizes to give away. And we'll be taping in Dolby Headphone for that really trippy sound.

What: Live taping of MacBreak Weekly - the post Jobs Keynote show
Where: 21st Amendment brew pub, 563 2nd Street in San Francisco
When: Taping is 6-8p. The post show party could go on all night!
Who: Leo Laporte, Merlin Mann, Scott Bourne, Alex Lindsay, and many Mac luminaries!

We had planned to be at the Apple Store, but there were some last minute issues there and 21st Amendment leapt to our rescue. It should be more fun anyway. See you there! Link (http://www.twit.tv/2007/01/05/macbreak_weekly_live_at_21st_amendment)

BigPrince
Jan 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
1. Flowbee
2. vniow
3. devilot
4. cuestakid
5. CHROMEDOME
6. screensaver400
7. WildCowboy
8. breal8406
9. BigPrince
10. andyh2
11. mike3k
12. brianbobcat
13. Kodex
14. solvs
15. arn
16. craigverse
17. IJ Reilly

so far

buffalo
Jan 6, 2007, 08:54 AM
Garmin is finally finished with their Training Center (http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/12/to_mac_owners.html) program for the Mac. It will be available on CD at their booth and downloadable from their website in late January. I would rather not wait until late January, so I'd be happy to paypal someone a couple dollars to ship a CD to me if you happen across the Garmin booth.

Thanks!

Zwhaler
Jan 6, 2007, 01:01 PM
I can't afford the Keynote, so I guess I'll just wait til next year and watch the keynote on quicktime.

slobeck
Jan 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
I'll be there as usual. This will be my, umm, 11th MacWorld. I thought about getting a flashforward package, but it's not worth it given what they're offering.
To tell you the truth about MacWorld in general; some of the workshops are alright, i guess. The parties are fun, of course the keynote is 'it.' But beyond that, MacWorld largely is something of a "yawn." Don't get me wrong... I go. Every year. Like a lemming. I get enough of the hype that I swear they pump into the AC, pretty quickly. Then I go home to watch the keynote like everyone else, on the overloaded, start and stop H264 stream.

Hoorah for MacWorld!

Flowbee
Jan 6, 2007, 02:44 PM
I've just added BigPrince's list of attendees to the first post of this thread.

arn
Jan 6, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hey...

So, sounds good.

Are designating one day as the "big" event. It might be easier to get a good showing one particular day, and leave the other days open as well for people who want to meet.

arn

BigPrince
Jan 6, 2007, 09:13 PM
Hey...

So, sounds good.

Are designating one day as the "big" event. It might be easier to get a good showing one particular day, and leave the other days open as well for people who want to meet.

arn

Are we going to have a MR cheering section for any of the events open for everyone? Like live with David Pogue and Best of show and etc.

vniow
Jan 6, 2007, 09:30 PM

Think Wednesday was the general consensus. Most people are able to show up then and its close enough to the Keynote date so there should still be a good amount of people.

mbl42
Jan 6, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'll be at Macworld on Monday around 3pm setting up some stuff at MacMod's booth, and Tuesday for the expo.

Flowbee
Jan 6, 2007, 10:10 PM
Think Wednesday was the general consensus. Most people are able to show up then and its close enough to the Keynote date so there should still be a good amount of people.

Yup, Wednesday at 3:00 was suggested as the "big" meeting, though somebody mentioned the the Best of Show announcements are taking place that day from 2:45 - 3:45. Does anyone feel strongly about changing the time to avoid this conflict? (I don't.)

BigPrince
Jan 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
I'll probably be at the Macworld Best of Show.

arn
Jan 7, 2007, 12:04 AM
Yup, Wednesday at 3:00 was suggested as the "big" meeting, though somebody mentioned the the Best of Show announcements are taking place that day from 2:45 - 3:45. Does anyone feel strongly about changing the time to avoid this conflict? (I don't.)

Is Wednesday the consensus? I think it could be 4pm to catch people coming out of the Best of Show.

Alternative, is Tuesday out? One advantage of Tuesday is that people will know what everyone looks like if they see them around at the subsequent events.

Once it's nailed down, I'll make a more public announcement.

arn

IJ Reilly
Jan 7, 2007, 12:26 AM
Either way is fine for me.

Flowbee
Jan 7, 2007, 01:10 AM
Tuesday at 3:00 works for me. I'm guessing most of us locals will have plenty of time to get to the Moscone Center after watching MR's Keynote coverage from home or work.

Good point about doing the "big" meeting more sooner than later. And there is a certain excitement in the hall on Tuesday that starts to fade a bit by Wednesday.

PS - I'm wearing my favorite shirt, so I'll be pretty easy to recognize...

solvs
Jan 7, 2007, 01:44 AM
I'll try and make it if I can, but no promises. I think my Sister had a Doctors appointment on Wed, but I might be able to catch a ride with her bf, or just take the train over from their place in Santa Clara. I'd like to make it. If not, I know I'll be wandering around on Tuesday after the keynote. Maybe see y'all at the OWC thing.

Gonna be weird to see some of you in person. I'm used to you just being disembodied voices. :p And there goes my mystique too.

vniow
Jan 7, 2007, 11:32 AM
Tuesday works for me too. I work a couple subway stations away so distance isn't an issue. I'll probably be wearing...uhh...all black as per usual. :rolleyes:

WildCowboy
Jan 7, 2007, 12:14 PM
Tuesday's fine with me, too. Can't say what I'll be wearing...probably jeans and a brown coat of some sort. I'll have the business card thing going on, so look for the "MR" label sticking out of my badge holder. (No cowboy hats, chaps, or spurs for me.)

NightOne
Jan 7, 2007, 01:31 PM
Flight for San Fran leaves tomorrow mid-morning. I booked pretty late so the wait didn't really kill me. In fact, I'm a little surprised how fast the time passed. I'll be through Wednesday and then it's the red-eye back.

Still no option on the keynote though. If anyone has the "means" to get me in, drop me a line. 8-)

blueflame
Jan 7, 2007, 03:33 PM
Im going to the keynote. 1 day trip LA to San Fran. Cant wait.
Feel free to hit me up to meet
Andreas

PS: I can do tuesday at 3!
Andreas
my aim: goderd

ffakr
Jan 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
Now that the cat's out of the bag, All the Apple employees will be hanging out around but not in the area. They think the rumors sites are hillarious since we sit here and make [hopefully] inspired guesses that are often as not totally wrong. :rolleyes:

Here's the downside with a MacRumors meet.. they'll be laughing at us. ;)

Shadow
Jan 7, 2007, 04:53 PM
Well, unfortunatley I won't be going to MacWorld (not this year anyway...) but my plans include not going on the internet until after my exams are done and the QT stream is up and watch it with some nice nachos! :D

arn
Jan 7, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'll be coming by at 3pm on Tuesday. See you guys there.

arn

cuestakid
Jan 7, 2007, 06:36 PM
i unfortunately wont be there-I am going on wednesday with a friend of mine-so i wont be able to join everyone

arn
Jan 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
sounds like there's going to be another on Wednesday too.

arn

BigPrince
Jan 7, 2007, 08:05 PM
I will be touring San Fran at 3:00 sorry. But I will be around and the city is so nice. I walked around for 4 hours and also visited the Moscone Center.

tlhash
Jan 7, 2007, 08:35 PM
Anyone know if keynote is shown live outside of the auditorium?

NCTRNL
Jan 7, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'll be there working. I leave tomorrow morning. I'll take some pics if I can...

Flowbee
Jan 7, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'll be there working. I leave tomorrow morning. I'll take some pics if I can...

Which booth?

Alurgo2001
Jan 7, 2007, 09:09 PM
My friend and I have traveled from Miami, Florida to come to MacWorld. Well worth it, especially once the Keynote comes around.

Silencio
Jan 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
Tuesday at 3. I believe I can make an appearance. That's going to be an awfully packed day for me, but that's just part of the fun.

Willis
Jan 7, 2007, 09:57 PM
Urgh, why cant we get a Macworld Expo (a proper one with a keynote) here in the UK...

Hmm, might save up and go to SF in 2008... never been to the states, so always time for a first! :D

MrCrowbar
Jan 7, 2007, 10:01 PM
Can someone "dress up" as an Apple staff member and spy around?
Or better yet, is there anyone who can disguise himself as Steve jobs, go backstage and act all stressed out like as if you had a blackout and needed your notes to rehearse for the keynote?

Too bad I can't be there, oh well, still got January 24th in NY for the Apple tech talk, I wanna see some Leopard features and learn how to use them. Anyone else going there?

devilot
Jan 8, 2007, 12:04 AM
:o I didn't realize I was listed as going for sure... I'm still not sure if I'll be there or not. :o

dextertangocci
Jan 8, 2007, 04:20 AM
I Wish I Could Go:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

ReBeLaCe
Jan 8, 2007, 01:47 PM
Went and checked out the horseshoe lounge today. Those things are oh so sexy but were packed as hell.

Flowbee
Jan 8, 2007, 01:59 PM
:o I didn't realize I was listed as going for sure... I'm still not sure if I'll be there or not. :o

I added a "maybe" next to your name. No pressure...

Flowbee
Jan 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
Went and checked out the horseshoe lounge today. Those things are oh so sexy but were packed as hell.

Yeah, I didn't expect that we'd be able to all sit down there. But I don't remember there being many 'uncrowded' places in years past... so I guess we'll be stuck standing and mingling.

IJ Reilly
Jan 8, 2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect that we'd be able to all sit down there. But I don't remember there being many 'uncrowded' places in years past... so I guess we'll be stuck standing and mingling.

They aren't that way all the time. The Moscone is distinctly lacking in other options.

Drodr28
Jan 8, 2007, 05:41 PM
The time has once again come for my city's streeets to be clogged with confused geeks sporting their flashy exhibitor passes and jamming the exotic services on craigslist. Oh the joy of MWSF.

I will be there right after I get done "reading" the keynote address.

acearchie
Jan 8, 2007, 05:46 PM
well I will be with all of you going spirtually!

Apart from the keynote were I will be placing all my possible concerntration on macrumorslive!

BigPrince
Jan 8, 2007, 08:22 PM
yay, Went to Alcatrez and the Golden Gate Bridge, and the sea lions. Had some Clan Chowder in a bread bowl. Saw more of the city and registered. I plan on getting inline at Moscone West at 5am or earlier. Later all, Hope to see some of you at the keynote. My name is Oliver if you see my tag, ill have a business card in there to probably sticking out, but not sure how noticalbe it will be. Sorry I wont make the big meet up.

NightOne
Jan 8, 2007, 11:00 PM
Sitting in my room a couple of hundred feet from the keynote line. However, I have no keynote pass. :(

arn
Jan 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
meet up photo

longofest
Jan 9, 2007, 08:44 PM
SOOO wish I could have been there, but arn grounded me :(

solvs
Jan 10, 2007, 01:38 AM
It was good to meet you all. However brief. Sorry I had to run off to meet with my Sister and her bf (they wanted to leave :rolleyes: :( yeah). Thanks again to v (er, Ani) for showing me how to get there, I was kinda lost.

I'll be back tomorrow morning, wandering around on the floor, but I think we're leaving at around 3 something.

WildCowboy
Jan 10, 2007, 01:44 AM
Yep, it was definitely great to meet up with the MR folks and put some faces and names to the handles and avatars.

(Now, why do I look so creepy in the photo?)

I'll try to make it over tomorrow to see some of the stuff I missed today (mostly North Hall) and have another chat, but I can't guarantee it. I'll have to see how my day goes.

solvs
Jan 10, 2007, 02:11 AM
(Now, why do I look so creepy in the photo?)

You look fine. I look fat. New Years resolution: lose 20 pounds. And this time, keep it off.

Thankfully I finally finished off the last of XMas cookies. :o

bearbo
Jan 10, 2007, 02:22 AM
meet up photo

it'd be great to know who is who :)

Flowbee
Jan 10, 2007, 11:17 AM
Definitely a fun little get-together. One interesting discovery... :rolleyes: and :p are more effective in forums than in the real world. Still, it was nice to be able to speak my mind without fear of being banned.:p

A couple of FYIs - A few people expressed interest in meeting again today at the Horseshoe. There's a "Best of Show" event that ends at 3:45, so the meet-up prolly won't happen until around 4:00.

Also: we discovered that there's a registration table set up right in front of the designated Horseshoe booth. Don't let that deter you... you can walk behind the table to get to the booth.

IJ Reilly
Jan 10, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks to everybody who was able to make it on Tuesday. It was great meeting you.

Now, a pop quiz: name everyone in the picture, from left to right! ;)

vniow
Jan 10, 2007, 11:29 AM
it'd be great to know who is who :)

Here, if someone can update the rest of it I'd be grateful. :o

Also: we discovered that there's a registration table set up right in front of the designated Horseshoe booth. Don't let that deter you... you can walk behind the table to get to the booth.

Yeah, I was wondering what idiot decided to put a table right there. :rolleyes:

IJ Reilly
Jan 10, 2007, 11:31 AM

Right, thanks for mentioning it. This actually turned out to a good thing -- this lounge area was otherwise virtually empty. Hardly anyone else braved the registration table, so the MR group had it all to themselves.

If I make it today it will probably be on the late side. We decided to take the ferry over to Sausalito this morning.

Here, if someone can update the rest of it I'd be grateful. :o

You think you're bad with names? I'm impressed -- I couldn't have got half of them right. (No offense to anyone -- I'm really bad with names!)

vniow
Jan 10, 2007, 01:02 PM
A couple of FYIs - A few people expressed interest in meeting again today at the Horseshoe. There's a "Best of Show" event that ends at 3:45, so the meet-up prolly won't happen until around 4:00.

If I make it today it will probably be on the late side. We decided to take the ferry over to Sausalito this morning.

Sounds like a plan, I'll probably see if I can make it to the Best of Show too so 4:00 seems better for today.

Doctor Q
Jan 10, 2007, 04:57 PM
Pretty good photo for a 2-megapixel iPhone! ;)

IJ Reilly
Jan 10, 2007, 07:24 PM
I tried to sit through "Best of Show" but it turned out to be a real snooze. I dropped by the lounge area around 3:30 and 4:30 -- didn't see any MR folks.

WildCowboy
Jan 10, 2007, 07:26 PM
I wasn't able to make it over to MWSF today due to my schedule. I'm hoping to drop by again tomorrow, but again, don't hold your breath waiting for me. :D

arn
Jan 13, 2007, 02:35 AM
I'm back from San Francisco....

It was a great trip. Really good to meet up with you all.

Next year we'll have a more formal meeting set up.

arn

BigPrince
Jan 13, 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm back from San Francisco....

It was a great trip. Really good to meet up with you all.

arn

Sorry, I missed you all. I had a very busy week. In conjunction with Macworld, I wanted to see SF and I went to visit Cupertino to visit Apple HQ. And I wanted to take advantage of everything the conference had to offer. Hope everyone had a good time and I already plan on being there next year.

IJ Reilly
Jan 13, 2007, 05:25 PM

Tuxedos or morning jackets? I have both of course. ;)

solvs
Jan 14, 2007, 02:29 AM
We could always go with the bow tie thing. :p

IJ Reilly
Jan 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
Finally, somebody is thinking!

BigPrince
Jan 14, 2007, 11:57 AM
We could always go with the bow tie thing. :p

It would of worked too. No one else there had bow ties.

solvs
Jan 16, 2007, 12:38 AM
Finally, somebody is thinking!
I'd love to take the credit, but it was someone else's idea first.

BigPrince
Jan 16, 2007, 01:24 AM
mine :)

BigPrince
Jan 16, 2007, 02:41 PM
is it to early to have a Offical MWSF 2008? I am already excited for that.

blakespot
Jan 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
I posted my writeup (finally) of my trip with Arn to Macworld SF 2007. For anyone interested:

http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000087.php

Many pics linked, etc.

blakespot

BigPrince
Jan 26, 2007, 05:23 PM
I liked the pictures. Although I cant pin point myself directly, I am in the background in one of you pictures when you were waiting inline inside.