Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Will the new 2.4ghz and/or 2.66ghz Core 2 Duos work in the Minis as well as the 2.13ghz upgrades have been for people?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Short answer: No.
Er... How does that answer anything?

It answers well enough, actually.

Merom is the Core 2 Duo compatible with Core Duo, and therefore the version compatible with the Mac Mini.

Merom only goes up to 2.33GHz. No C2D that isn't merom will work.

The 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz versions are not Merom, but Conroe, and Conroe is not a mobile processor therefore it does not use the same socket therefore it is not pin compatible therefore it won't work in the mac mini..... or something like that.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Short answer: No.

It answers well enough, actually.

Merom is the Core 2 Duo compatible with Core Duo, and therefore the version compatible with the Mac Mini.

Merom only goes up to 2.33GHz. No C2D that isn't merom will work.

The 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz versions are not Merom, but Conroe, and Conroe is not a mobile processor therefore it does not use the same socket therefore it is not pin compatible therefore it won't work in the mac mini..... or something like that.

Oh ok I get it... I thought they were all the same.

I never had an Intel system so I have no idea.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I edited it a "little" more so you'd be able to figure it out.​

Now I really don't get that.

In my original post, I was looking for a yes or no. I am not up to speed on all the Intel chips. Since Silentwave gave a brief refresher, I remember/get it.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
mini/imac are all socket 479 (yonah CD/merom C2D), and the two chips you listed in the OP are socket 775 (conroe).

won't fit. even if you push really hard... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.