Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Okay okay, I updated my old 10 gig ipod to 1.3 but the only change I've gotten is the backlight option on the main menu. Do I not get the extra features like main menu customizing and Solataire? Perhaps I'm missing something and that is only on the new iPods. If anyone could help me that would be great. I've updated my iPod an extra time and it says it's running on 1.3.

Thanks to all.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
shades of missing iPod improvements!

I was certianly looking forward to the new iPod improvement and DLed 1.3!

After installing, I found nothing new in the menus, no games, no notes, no nothing.

Why?

I called Apple Support/

They knew Nothing also/

Now we both know nothing!

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
yeah, what's the deal? I'm totally lost on this. I'm sure apple wouldn't just start to only update the new ipod model's software, would they?

Does anyone know anything about this? This has to come up sooner or later...

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
yeah they did, all the menus, games and playlist stuff is on ipod software version 2.0. old ipods only go to 1.3. all 1.3 did was add AAC support. Apple crippled the old ipods to set the new ones apart. annoying i know.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
What are you guys talking about? Of course you're no going to get all the features of the new iPod in your old ones. What improvements would that leave for the new ones? Backlit buttons and new button placement?

Until these features were introduced, you were probably all completely satisfied with your iPods, just remember that before you start bitching.

btw, I don't see how Apple "crippled" the older iPods. They still do everything they were advertised to do, except now they can play an additional music format. Kind of the opposite of crippling, don't you think?

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Limelite, on top of backlit buttons and different button arrangement, the new ipods also feature a completely thinner encasing, a docking station and usb 2 support - duh. It is not that far off to believe the internal software would be consistent with all ipod models since it's entirely possible to do that. So just chill. You know that this is a marketing move from apple that should all bother us to some degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.