PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp, Parallels, Virtual PC question

SMM
Dec 1, 2006, 11:36 PM
I have an 'hour's old' MBP. I already owned Office:Mac 2004 Pro, with Virtual PC and XP Pro. I purchased Parallels with the MBP. Then there is Bootcamp, which I could download (but have not).

I really do not have too much use for Windows on my MBP. Documents I create, I use Pages. Sometimes I receive a Word doc and use Word:Mac for it. I despise Excel and would not create something on my own. If I have to open an Excel attachment, I use Excel:Mac. So, my Window needs are small. However, there are a small number of Windows apps I would like to run on occasion. MS Streets & Tips is a prime example.

For the rare Windows needs I have, I do not want to reboot to make it happen. So, Bootcamp is not an attractive choice. That is why I purchased Parallels. Over the past few months, I have seen some board traffic which seemed to indicate Parallels has some stability issues.

My first question; is Parallels able run MS apps without creating a lot of grief? I am going to doing some very vanilla stuff.

My last question; Virtual PC comes with a full copy of XP SP2. Has anyone used the Virtual PC copy to install on either of these shells? Were there any issues?

Thanks - appreciate any feedback.

balamw
Dec 2, 2006, 12:14 AM
My first question; is Parallels able run MS apps without creating a lot of grief? I am going to doing some very vanilla stuff.

Yes. Parallels works great for stuff that isn't quite basic, but not too taxing on the virtual video hardware. Office/banking/light audio all work well.

My last question; Virtual PC comes with a full copy of XP SP2. Has anyone used the Virtual PC copy to install on either of these shells? Were there any issues?

I seriously doubt that would fit with the EULA for VPC, but search the forum. I know some have considered and tried it.

B

SMM
Dec 2, 2006, 09:27 AM
Yes. Parallels works great for stuff that isn't quite basic, but not too taxing on the virtual video hardware. Office/banking/light audio all work well.

I seriously doubt that would fit with the EULA for VPC, but search the forum. I know some have considered and tried it.

B

I looked at the EULA for the copy of XP which comes with VPC. It looks to me that it is just a standard one. It does not say it has to be used with VPC. In fact, I think I can just legally install it on any computer, as long as it is not installed elsewhere (which it is not). I tried using VPC, but found it awkward to use and sloooooww. So, I removed it. As far as I can tell, I have a legal copy of XP which is not installed anywhere. So, I should be able to install it as I see fit.

Westside guy
Dec 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
So, I removed it. As far as I can tell, I have a legal copy of XP which is not installed anywhere. So, I should be able to install it as I see fit.

I think the pricing - VPC alone versus VPC + XP - supports your supposition. You've likely purchased a fully licensed version of XP. If you've got a separate XP SP2 CD that came with the package, that also supports your supposition - there'd be no reason for MS to separate the two products otherwise, really.

On the other question - I haven't noticed any stability problems with Parallels at all. I think some people on this forum (like any other forum) tend to do things like run the beta versions, which will be unstable at times, and then complain about stability. :) But the non-beta Parallels releases have been quite well behaved in my experience (actually the betas haven't been bad either). I occasionally have to reboot XP inside of Parallels, but mostly I just suspend it when I'm not using it, and then resume the same XP session the next time.

balamw
Dec 2, 2006, 06:58 PM
You've likely purchased a fully licensed version of XP.
Just a note that fully licensed doesn't necessarily imply that license transfer rights are granted. You can have a perfectly licensed OEM copy of XP (e.g. one that came with a Dell) and still not have the right (according to the EULA) to transfer the license to any other machine....

Whether MS cares or not is a different question...

B

Westside guy
Dec 2, 2006, 08:17 PM
Just a note that fully licensed doesn't necessarily imply that license transfer rights are granted. You can have a perfectly licensed OEM copy of XP (e.g. one that came with a Dell) and still not have the right (according to the EULA) to transfer the license to any other machine....

You have a good point. In the case you mention, though, the Dell "XP CD" actually won't allow itself to be installed on a different box. It's not a full version; it's a restore CD that is keyed to that particular computer (or type of computer).

I used to have a Dell Inspiron, and the annoying restore CD made it a pain at times with certain types of new installs that, for some reason, had to pull extra stuff off the XP disc. :mad:

SMM
Dec 3, 2006, 12:44 PM

Whether MS cares or not is a different question...

B

The VPC version of XPP is not an OEM. It is not pre-installed on a particular machine anyway. Regardless, it has become moot. The VPC install program is what installs XPP from the disks. Parallels does not recognize the disks as XPP install disks. So, I am dead in the water here. I can just imagine trying to work this deal with a MS/India representative. Life is far too short.