Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
I've been telling myself I want/need a Mac Pro for quite some time. I currently have a G4 mini w/ 1GB memory. Kids need a Mac. My plan was to give them my mini and purchase a Mac Pro. I basically came to the conclusion that a Mac Pro is overkill for my needs. Never a fan of the all-in-one iMacs, so that brings me back to the mini. The local Apple store has the 1.83 w/ 1GB of memory. Is 1G enough for the intel minis? Or should I order online and get 2GB? I know 2GB will allow be to run more applications at once, but I don't really run more than 3 or 4 at a time. What I'm concerned about is M$ Office under Rosetta. Wife uses it a lot. Anyone using a mini w/ 1GB and the Office tools? Or any non univerals apps for that matter. I don't want to get into a situation where I run out of memory and the mini starts paging out. My other thought was to get it locally w/ 1GB and try it out. I did upgrade my current G4 to a gig of memory, but it looks like the intel memory upgrades require more disassembly. Stock 80GB disk should be okay. After 2yrs, I still have 47GB of available space on my G4. I current have an 80GB mini stack for my OS backup and a 300GB FW HDD for video work and storage.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
A mini with a gig, should be fine. Although for rosetta, you probably want two.

A Mac Pro is overkill. In iMac would be perfect, but your not a fan of the all-in-ones. Me, a mini with a gig would be fast, becuase I've never had more then 512 on ANY machine I've ever owned. Again, 1 gig will do the job, but it's cutting it close. I'd feel more secure with 2 gigs.

Hummin

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
I'm in the same situation.
I'll work mostrly on photography with my mac (photoshop cs2 and lightroom)
do programming (netbeans + php + dreamweaver).

I own a imac 17" core duo 2 2ghz with 2GB of ram, but I'd like to have a monitor-less mac to attach to a larger monitor.( i have the monitor 20" so...)

a mac mini (maybe the next core2duo) with 2GB of ram or a mac pro 2x2ghz with 1GB of ram ?

I read that many programs don't use all 4 cores or a mac pro and with photography (that is 2d working) the integrated graphic of mac mini isn't a bad thing.

the only thing I'm scared about the mini is the 5400 rpm hardrive ... will be much slower than my 7200 rpm drive ?
is a perceptible difference ?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
my mini (core solo) is running office with 1.25G memory, it works fine.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I'm in the same situation.
I'll work mostrly on photography with my mac (photoshop cs2 and lightroom)
do programming (netbeans + php + dreamweaver).

I own a imac 17" core duo 2 2ghz with 2GB of ram, but I'd like to have a monitor-less mac to attach to a larger monitor.( i have the monitor 20" so...)

It is not clear to me whether you have a 20" monitor or just want one. However, the first step would be to get a separate monitor (if you don't have it already) and connect it to your iMac. Your iMac currently has a better processor and better video. A two monitor set-up would be a better arrangement for what you want to do, I think.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
IMO, the minis are a really poor bang for your buck, especially once you start upgrading them. I agree that the Mac Pro is overkill, but what's wrong with the iMac? The 20" or higher end 17" gets you much more for your money.. and if you want to save some, opt for a refurb CD (since that's what the mini would be anyways). Just my 2 cents..

dont24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
Northeast
IMO, the minis are a really poor bang for your buck, especially once you start upgrading them. I agree that the Mac Pro is overkill, but what's wrong with the iMac? The 20" or higher end 17" gets you much more for your money.. and if you want to save some, opt for a refurb CD (since that's what the mini would be anyways). Just my 2 cents..

I'll agree with you there. It doesn't seem to be a great value, since I planned on adding a 24" Dell LCD as well.

Hummin

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2006
I agree that the Mac Pro is overkill, but what's wrong with the iMac?

I prefer working on a 4:3 20" LCD that I have instead a wide.
so I'll give my imac at my sister and I need a desktop mac without a screen .

that's why choosing mac pro or mac mini .
a mac pro with a single processor will be the best but.... there's no one...

just wondering if the mini with 2GB or ram is close to my imac 17" I don't need more power for now...

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
How do you have that configuration?

my mini (core solo) is running office with 1.25G memory, it works fine.

I have 2 256 sticks and am looking to upgrade to a gig. Can I add a stick of 1g and leave one 256 stick?

If this is a really stupid question, sorry

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...am looking to upgrade to a gig. Can I add a stick of 1g and leave one 256 stick?

yep, will work fine. and as the 256'rs aren't worth much (nothing) on the marketplace, you might just want to hold on to the stick in case of warranty repair troubles. best of luck with the upgrade!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm always impressed at the speed of my refurb 1.66 Mini with 2GB. I can't even see Windows boot under Parallels, just appears on screen. It seems to be regularly faster than my wife's 1.83 MB with 1.25GB of ram. I must have something screwy on the MB.

But if you are going to purchase both the Mini and a new monitor, you will likely find the iMac cheaper with better specs. Unless you desperately don't want an all-in-one.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
I highly recommend the iMac. Even the 17" would be a much better value than a mini. The comp in my sig runs great. It is my first mac since switching from windows and it's the best computer i've ever had. I've run 10-13 programs at once without one page out or any lag. Unless you are very opposed to the iMac, you should get one.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
another vote for the iMac; it's a much better value.

That said, if you are set on a mini, you might as well go up to 2 GB. I have a 2.0 Ghz core duo macbook, so not that much different than the 1.83 mini, and I've used it with both 1 and 2 gigs of RAM. It ran totally fine with 1 gig, but sometimes it did page out, especially with rosetta apps (I'm in MS office all day long too).

Basically, if you get the mini, 1 GB will be good, but 2 GB will be smooth as silk. Why not future-proof it, if you're going to want to keep it a few years?
but get the iMac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.