PDA

View Full Version : iBook Logic Board again

jamesmcd
Dec 2, 2006, 03:59 PM
Hi all,

I have in my possession an iBook G3 800Mhz. Quite a while back I had to replace the logic board as it blew, and thankfully it was covered by the worldwide ibook logic board program so therefore was free.

Now, the iBook's logic board has gone again...

Is the replacement still free?

Cheers

Play Ultimate
Dec 2, 2006, 04:17 PM
No. Sorry.

"The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 18, 2005"

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

aquajet
Dec 2, 2006, 04:27 PM
As posted in the iBook FAQ (http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/):

How long is the Expanded iBook Logic Board Repair Extension Program available?

The program covers affected iBooks for three years after the first retail sale of the unit or until March 18, 2005, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

You might try contacting them about the problem. Maybe they'll help you out. No guarantee, but you won't know until you ask. Good luck. :)

gallagb
Dec 2, 2006, 04:33 PM
yea- definately give them a call & try

razorme
Dec 15, 2006, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

I have in my possession an iBook G3 800Mhz. Quite a while back I had to replace the logic board as it blew, and thankfully it was covered by the worldwide ibook logic board program so therefore was free.

Now, the iBook's logic board has gone again...

Is the replacement still free?

Cheers

I have an 800 Mhz iBook as well, but still on the original logic board. What do you mean by "blew"? Are you talking about the infamous graphics chip causing your display to go wild? There is a fairly easy way to fix that.

jimijay
Dec 15, 2006, 02:28 PM
I have an 800 Mhz iBook as well, but still on the original logic board. What do you mean by "blew"? Are you talking about the infamous graphics chip causing your display to go wild? There is a fairly easy way to fix that.

easy fix??? do tell. I have the same model sitting around collecting dust.

toontra
Dec 15, 2006, 02:38 PM

The only "easy" fix I know is to replace the logic board.

razorme
Dec 16, 2006, 01:01 AM
easy fix??? do tell. I have the same model sitting around collecting dust.

Sorry, I posted more in another thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=256250

Basically you heat up the graphics chip enough so that the solder connections underneath it "reflow", solving the problem of conductivity loss.

It took awhile to take everything apart and I also used an iPod battery replacement tool to help open the case up. But it is rock-solid now! Zero issues!

toontra
Dec 16, 2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry, I posted more in another thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=256250

Basically you heat up the graphics chip enough so that the solder connections underneath it "reflow", solving the problem of conductivity loss.

It took awhile to take everything apart and I also used an iPod battery replacement tool to help open the case up. But it is rock-solid now! Zero issues!

Wow - respect for a cool fix! My iBook failed three times and each time it was repaired by Apple under the extended repair scheme.

In my experience the faiures always happened after the casing had been flexed (not by much), usually by being carried in a rucksack. I always suspected that the flexing was causing some cracking in the circuitry - guess I was close to the mark.

I've just moved the iBook on in favour of a C2D Macbook. Any idea if these are prone to any case-flexing problems?

longofest
Dec 16, 2006, 10:05 AM
For what its worth, my wife's iBook G4 933 just died due to a logic board problem. Get this:

She had AppleCare, which should be just about do run out. But she never enrolled. It was a retail version of AppleCare, and she just bought it and didn't enroll. We called and tried to get them to look up when she bought the AppleCare, but no dice. They are refusing to repair it. Kinda sucks...

Fortunately, the problem didn't affect target disk mode, so we were able to get info off of it. We are now sharing my old TiBook 867. So, fortunately we aren't dead in the water.