Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmcintyre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Do you think the iPod a gateway drug that leads to buying other apple products? How many of you owned an ipod then went out and bought a mac. In my experience the answer is yes, allot of people love the simplicity of ipod/itunes and want to see what the apple side of things has to offer. What do you guys(or girls) think?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Actually it was iTunes for me. Got some Pepsi codes, started running iTunes, that led to the iPod, and later I started to consider Macs again...

B

Retired
May 16, 2006
Definitely. It also makes people who didn't before use iTunes, and get used to apple as a software company. Round these parts its called the iPod halo effect.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
'ken oath it is.

All my financial woes can be directly traced back to that day in early 2004 when I bought my 15GB 3G iPod.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Yes, I bought an iPod Christmas of last year and a month later, first Mac. Blueberry iMac G3. :) Today; iMac G5. :D The halo effect worked on me, I guess.

Kevin

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
it was my brother iMac G4...I bought an iPod Mini because I didn't have the $$ a Mac right away, but when I did I got my G5 iMac

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I have technically used a Mac as my first computer (just word processing really and it was my mom's computer) but the iPod i think definitely made me want to have my college notebook be a Mac. Even though i thought i wanted one the iPod/iTunes plain ol' goodness just made it that more magical.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
The reason I own my MacBook is Windows.

No, I don't mean Bootcamp. I mean because I owned a PC once, and that was enough.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yes, I bought an iPod Christmas of last year and a month later, first Mac. Blueberry iMac G3. :) Today; iMac G5. :D The halo effect worked on me, I guess.

Kevin

wait, you bought an iMac G3 last january?????????? that was like, 4 generations old! or did you just get it used?

sven945

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
I'm the opposite! It was my 18th birthday earlier in the year, and I decided that I could do with a computer to take to uni. I knew a girl (that's another looong and complicated story ;)) who had an iBook and who convinced me that they were great, so I managed to persuade my dad to get me a 12" iBook for Christmas/birthday/uni present.

Up until recently, I'd been quite "anti" iPod. I admit now it was just the desire to be different, and I got myself a 40gb iRiver a couple of years back (before I got my iBook). That did me well, until the battery died a few months back. I was looking at the various alternatives, and with my music collection currently at 40gb, plus about 5gb of radio shows I decided that 80gb was the only way to go if I wanted my replacement to last a decent amount of time before I filled it up. I eventually gave in and decided that one of the new 80gb iPods was the best bet. I'm hoping that I made the right choice!

jack

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
Do you think the iPod a gateway drug that leads to buying other apple products? How many of you owned an ipod then went out and bought a mac. In my experience the answer is yes, allot of people love the simplicity of ipod/itunes and want to see what the apple side of things has to offer. What do you guys(or girls) think?

No doubt about it.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
It definitely was for me. I bought my first iPod in October 2002. This got me looking around Apple's website and also brought me to MacRumors, where I learned about OS X (I never liked the classic Mac OS). In January 2003 I bought my first Mac (a used G4 Cube) and within two weeks, had stopped using my Windows machine altogether.

The Pepsi promotion worked the other way around for me. I had stopped drinking 'soft drinks' many years ago. During the first Pepsi promotion, my wife and I bought maybe 10 Diet Pepsis total. During the second promotion, we started buying them more regularly... and we still are. Pepsi has made back the cost of our "free" songs many times over by now. :eek:

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I actually started using iTunes first, because I had a 32mb RCA MP3 player that worked with Music Jukebox, and I hated it so I just burned CDs with iTunes. Then I got a 3G 15gb ipod for my 14th birthday (I had to because half my music was from the ITMS). From there, for my 16th, I got my MBP, then my iPod died so I got a 5g.

So I blame iTunes more than the iPod, but the iPod was a factor.

SPinc33

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2005
for me it definitely was...

being a musician, dj, and your run-of-the-mill music freak, I was looking for a portable way to carry lots of music back in the fall of 2002, as I was travelling to Europe for 6 months and didn't have a laptop. I got the 2G 20-GB iPod, which at that point was not released in Europe (imagine the looks i got). At the beginning, I was a bit frustrated with the software, as the first Windows iPods ran on Real Jukebox :mad: As soon as iTunes was released for Windows, I was addicted to Apple. About 1 1/2 years later I bought my Powerbook and have been struggling to not buy every new iPod since...until the 5G, that is. Now I have a nice little family and an empty wallet.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
I got a Creative Zen micro first, then i bought an iBook on impulse, and since my creative didn't work with mac i sold it and got a Shuffle, wich "sadly" god stolen. "sadly" because it gave me an excuse to get a nano :cool:

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
It definitely was for me. Ipod (apple only) came out first and I wanted one, bad. I bought one immediately after they came out for windows. I had also been using iTunes since it was available for windows. I am now on my 3rd mac and 4th iPod. :)

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
It was for me - A 2nd generation 20gb iPod (for Windows). That was pre iTunes for Windows days, when they shipped Musicmatch instead of iTunes.

Next came a 3rd gen 30gb iPod, a mini, a shuffle, a 17" iMac G5, a 20" iMac G5 (passed the 17" to my parents) and a 15" PowerBook G4.

Plus my brother got a 17" iMac G5 and an iPod at my recommendation, and my 4 groomsmen were given engraved 2nd gen shuffles as groomsmen's gifts at my wedding last month.

Damn I've given Apple a lot of money over the past few years!

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I was interested in Apple before, but after I bought an iPod, it immediately sealed the deal.

And I haven't looked back since! I'm slowly converting relatives and family members. Two new macs for relatives this christmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.