PDA

View Full Version : Ensuring my old PowerBook is wiped. MBP transfer errors.

nebbione
Dec 2, 2006, 08:21 PM
I recently transferred my HD from my PB to my MBP 15.4" 2.16 using the transfer utility. Most applications, like the Adobe ones, required me to re-enter serial numbers. Some stopped working.

Office now has the same serial code, since it didn't ask for a new one, and thus can no longer be used simultaneously (fortunately I'm wiping my PB HD).

Which brings me to my next point.

I had Tiger running on my PB G4. I tried to use the recovery disks from the MBP package to reinstall Tiger on the PB, and it failed. It wouldn't even boot properly from the CD. I have another copy of Tiger that I bought which I'll use, but still, is this inherently wrong? Couldn't I have just used the MBP CDs and entered my legit Tiger serial?

Also, any advice about wiping my drive so that no remants remain (i.e. so I can sell it). :cool:

swiftaw
Dec 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
I recently transferred my HD from my PB to my MBP 15.4" 2.16 using the transfer utility. Most applications, like the Adobe ones, required me to re-enter serial numbers. Some stopped working.

Office now has the same serial code, since it didn't ask for a new one, and thus can no longer be used simultaneously (fortunately I'm wiping my PB HD).

Which brings me to my next point.

I had Tiger running on my PB G4. I tried to use the recovery disks from the MBP package to reinstall Tiger on the PB, and it failed. It wouldn't even boot properly from the CD. I have another copy of Tiger that I bought which I'll use, but still, is this inherently wrong? Couldn't I have just used the MBP CDs and entered my legit Tiger serial?

Also, any advice about wiping my drive so that no remants remain (i.e. so I can sell it). :cool:

The CD's shipped with each mac are model specific thus those that came with a MBP wont work in a powerbook.

mad jew
Dec 2, 2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, it's not gonna happen. You'll need PPC versions of the discs. Having said that, you might be able to erase reformat the PowerBook's drive through Target Disk Mode (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583), but you won't be able to put an OS on it.

By the way, using Migration Assistant for applications isn't normally the best idea, especially when going from PPC to Intel. If you have any troubles with apps in the future, deleting and manually reinstalling the apps may resolve this. Migration Assistant is still a bit buggy. :(

840quadra
Dec 2, 2006, 10:33 PM
I didn't have any issues migrating information from my G5 Powermac to my Macbook. The funny thing was, All Apple applications I had installed on the G5, that didn't come preinstalled on the Macbook where copied over and somehow switched to Intel binaries without me doing any extra work! :cool:

The other thing that is good, if you have downloaded or have recent 3rd party applications in universal versions, you will likely have the Intel application forks included in those applications, so you will not need to use Rosetta.

The only way to really tell is to "get info" on all of your installed applications, to see if they are Intel, Universal, or PowerPC native.