PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4GB and 8GB, Coming in January?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Dec 3, 2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In the latest episode of Diggnation (http://revision3.com/diggnation/2006-11-30), Kevin Rose (at ~38:30) claims to know some details about the Apple phone from a "solid" source.

According to Rose, little bit of inside info on the Apple phone:

- Going to be coming out in January
- All phone providers
- "It's small as *****"
- Don't know anything about the Operating System
- The OS is supposed to be "cool"
- Doing some unique things
- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.
- 4GB ($249) and 8GB ($449)
- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard
- Maybe touch screen?

Kevin Rose was co-host of The Screen Savers on Tech TV and later started Digg.com (http://www.digg.com). Last year, he offered last minute rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060110081233.shtml) prior to Macworld San Francisco which turned out to be accurate.

cleanup
Dec 3, 2006, 08:51 AM
Hope this is all true!

All except the slide-out keyboard... what about just a phone? Never mind smartphone or PDA, what about normal consumers like me??

Cromulent
Dec 3, 2006, 08:52 AM
Sounds cool, wonder what will happen with the UK version though. I doubt I'll get one as they sound fairly expensive. Unless of course you can get it free with a contract.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Dec 3, 2006, 08:54 AM
I hope they bring out either a ~100 Mb version for us who has an iPod and only need the phone for the phone, or a harddrive based one that can hold 80 Gb.. :)

arn
Dec 3, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hope this is all true!

All except the slide-out keyboard... what about just a phone? Never mind smartphone or PDA, what about normal consumers like me??

There's large gap between 4GB and 8GB ($249 -> $449), if previous rumors are to be believed... there will be a lowerend "just phone" and a higher end "smart phone"

arn

hyperpasta
Dec 3, 2006, 08:56 AM
Kevin Rose also flawlessly guessed the (first-gen) iPod nano flawlessly, something NOBODY expected.

I'm gonna say now that it's a 75% chance we see an actual iPhone in January.

nukiduz
Dec 3, 2006, 08:57 AM
doesn't january sound a weird month to release a big thing like this one? everyone's broke in january...

wasimyaqoob
Dec 3, 2006, 08:58 AM
I dont know what to believe on here any more, there is so much ******** going round - Im gonna WAIT!

Chundles
Dec 3, 2006, 08:59 AM
Kevin Rose also flawlessly guessed the (first-gen) iPod nano flawlessly, something NOBODY expected.

I'm gonna say now that it's a 75% chance we see an actual iPhone in January.

Actually, podfuture, a member here predicted the new nano and a number of other iPod-related products long before Kevin Rose did. poddy seemed to have very intimate knowledge of both the production and the design processes of the Apple team.

IEatApples
Dec 3, 2006, 09:01 AM
Cool! I'm getting one for sure :)

spicyapple
Dec 3, 2006, 09:05 AM
Just how small is it? shuffle small? nano small? I want to know, because I get a lot of fibre in my diet. :)

more importantly, will it be scratch-proof like every other cell phone, or will Apple continue using plastic like all their first generation iPods? I want to just toss it in my handbag without worrying about scratches or getting a thick case.

Chaszmyr
Dec 3, 2006, 09:06 AM
It sounds like everything we've been hoping for (most of us anyway). Lets pop the champagne!

The only concern is... Why would the 8gb model cost $200 more than the 4gb model? The 8gb nano is only $50 more than the 4gb nano. It could point to one of them being a smart phone, and the other not... but the source didn't say anything to indicate that. Instead, i think this "slide out keyboard" would really be the keypad for dialing, and the surface of the device would have a screen and a click wheel, like several mockups have shown. This makes an otherwise credible seeming source seem less credible.

capone2
Dec 3, 2006, 09:07 AM
first yes, he knows he's sh**t. I also recall he the first to predicted the nano but he said it was going to be alu- and a cylinder shape? I'm a HUGE fan of TECH TV and those guys are the best, if kevin says iPone then it will happen.

well see, MWSF should be very interesting.

just as a final note. I think Kevin is so HOT. and for the record Patrick too.

Chundles
Dec 3, 2006, 09:09 AM
It sounds like everything we've been hoping for (most of us anyway), and it sounds credible. Lets pop the champagne!

The only concern is... Why would the 8gb model cost $200 more than the 4gb model? The 8gb nano is only $50 more than the 4gb nano.

Didn't read arn's post? 8GB could be the smart phone version.

Buschmaster
Dec 3, 2006, 09:11 AM
doesn't january sound a weird month to release a big thing like this one? everyone's broke in january...
This last January was pretty damn big for Apple. They released the Intel iMac and MacBook Pro. As well as the perennial favorites, iLife and iWork. Did I miss anything? I don't think so. And they wouldn't be afraid to release a phone in January.

I don't see Steve pushing a product out before he knows it's good just because he wants holiday sales. (see: iTV)

Chaszmyr
Dec 3, 2006, 09:12 AM
Didn't read arn's post? 8GB could be the smart phone version.

you were too quick to respond, check my edit ;)

irbdavid
Dec 3, 2006, 09:17 AM
Sounds like fun, better save some pennies up for this.

gloss
Dec 3, 2006, 09:21 AM
Good stuff. I need to start putting in some extra hours.

Elrond39
Dec 3, 2006, 09:23 AM
Oooooooh boy!

That 8GB, $449 iPhone sure sounds swell! (Provided it's a smart-phone with slide-out qwerty-keyboard, of course :D)

The 4GB doesn't sound to shabby either! :)

I think what really strikes me most, though, is the concept of two batteries with one charger. It's simple - because there's only the one charger. But it's pure genius! There should be no reason for concern that you'll run out of phone-power because you've been listening to too many tunes. This sounds like something Steve would come up with :) Even if ONLY this is true, it'll be a breakthrough!

zap2
Dec 3, 2006, 09:24 AM
Ya this guy was dead on about the 1st Nano, which was a shock to me. I'll have the credit card ready!

dan-o-mac
Dec 3, 2006, 09:28 AM
No info regarding camera capabilities?

macintel4me
Dec 3, 2006, 09:29 AM
I believe it when I see it.

But I'm now cautiously optimistic. :p

Jan 2007 is sooner that I expected. I thought March or April would be more realistic.

daneoni
Dec 3, 2006, 09:30 AM
...lol saw the vidcast this morning and alex had to push really hard for kevin to drop the gossip and i could literally feel everyone on the edge of their seats. Sounds promising but i'll see it first & hear reviews before i make up my mind. Given Apple's recent quality control i'm a bit skeptic of the whole thing.

BenRoethig
Dec 3, 2006, 09:35 AM
If true, the only downside will be the timing as it will miss the Christmas buying season. I understand Steve wants a big MacWorld reveal, but you since can't change phones as easily as you change music players, waiting a month will cost sales.

Hertog
Dec 3, 2006, 09:38 AM
Hope this is all true!

'Keyboard' could also mean numeric keyboard, I think.

If it is true, it sounds like a nice iPhone, and since I can use a new phone, I can hardly wait. I have a good feeling about this, because even if Kevin's trackrecord was not accurate, there are more and more 'more or less' believable iPhone rumors coming around. There should be a grain of truth somewhere :)

Mantat
Dec 3, 2006, 09:42 AM
Seriously, this sucks.

I was hoping for awifi phone. It would have been much more Apple like to do something different. Now they are just going for small size which is totaly useless to me. It will only mean that it is going to be even easier to lose/forget it in my coat pocket...

Wifi phone are the future, just imagine: as long as you have access to a wifi network, you get free service! And with the coverage offered by wifi-max, if shouldnt be a problem in the 2-3 next years.

There is one such phone availlable in japan right now (cant find the link) it is using Skype and look very Apple like.

X5-452
Dec 3, 2006, 09:44 AM
If the 8GB version was indeed the smartphone version, then it should exclusively have the slide out keyboard and not the simpler 4GB regular phone. The two battery idea is genius, now I won't have to worry about running out of juice because I was listening to music. Plus I'm sure there are other cool features about it not mentioned. I can see it resembling the nano in terms of hight and width but we'll see. I'm excited. I just wish I had dished out $283 bones back in October for the Samsung T609.

gloss
Dec 3, 2006, 09:44 AM
At the same time, a wi-fi phone would be horribly limiting. Cell phones can be sold worldwide - only select areas have broad wireless access.

randyharris
Dec 3, 2006, 09:46 AM
If true, this is the best rumornews I've read in a long time!

dan-o-mac
Dec 3, 2006, 09:46 AM
Seriously, this sucks.

I was hoping for awifi phone. It would have been much more Apple like to do something different. Now they are just going for small size which is totaly useless to me. It will only mean that it is going to be even easier to lose/forget it in my coat pocket...

Wifi phone are the future, just imagine: as long as you have access to a wifi network, you get free service! And with the coverage offered by wifi-max, if shouldnt be a problem in the 2-3 next years.

There is one such phone availlable in japan right now (cant find the link) it is using Skype and look very Apple like.

Sounds like a great idea if you live in the future. :D

freeny
Dec 3, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ill believe it when I see it.

CEAbiscuit
Dec 3, 2006, 09:47 AM
Interesting but the only thing that makes it shakey for me is the "all providers" claim. An iphone intro with both GSM and CDMA in the same phone? Two different models? Would love to see it, but for all carriers I have doubts. Especially with Verizon and Alltel's clugey software requirements.

dekator
Dec 3, 2006, 09:48 AM
This thing better kick ass... well, from the sound of it, it will. I'd like Apple to produce something unique, yet versatile and compatible.

gloss

I love that people are still saying this. The expectations have grown so huge for an Apple-branded cell phone that the worst thing Apple could possibly do is NOT release one. Every technology outlet on the internet has mentioned it at one point or another, and there's a sort of tacit assumption that 'Yeah, it's coming.' If Steve were to come out and say 'Nope, it's not.', their stock would tank overnight.

puckhead193
i hope their is a smart phone version....

Eraserhead
Dec 3, 2006, 09:51 AM
Seriously, this sucks.

Although cool, WiFi isn't huge with open networks, at least in the UK, but if the $450 one had WiFi that'd be cool for home use.

Chundles
Dec 3, 2006, 09:53 AM
Interesting but the only thing that makes it shakey for me is the "all providers" claim. An iphone intro with both GSM and CDMA in the same phone? Two different models? Would love to see it, but for all carriers I have doubts. Especially with Verizon and Alltel's clugey software requirements.

Yeah but who uses CDMA? Talk about old tech.

I hope it's a 3G phone so it can make use of fast mobile internet in conjunction with a mobile version of the iTunes Store. Download to your iPhone on the go, come home and it will sync your song back to your computer.

Here on Telstra's NextG service (regular old 3G but on 850MHz for better range) they offer dual-downloads so when you download a song to your phone it simultaneously downloads a higher bit rate version to your laptop. Don't know how much it costs but knowing Telstra it'll be astronomical. Good idea though but I'd rather have a phone with good storage and the same bit rate on both laptop and phone.

But forget about CDMA, I didn't think anyone but the farmers out in the scrub used CDMA and even they gave that up ages ago when satellite phones became cheap.

My mind still boggles that your telcos can dictate access to the phone's features. You shouldn't need to worry about what provider you use when you consider which phone. Sure some providers may get exclusive deals but if a phone is offered by multiple providers it should have access to all the features that it would have if it were unlocked.

insidergrin
Dec 3, 2006, 09:53 AM
If your a member of Revision 3 and have seen the latest Diggnation you would know this is true. You could tell and he hinted to saying that he has seen the phone and i felt like i wanted to just YELL at him to TELL US ALL! :mad: Because he didnt want to screw his source hinting to the truth of this phone and the details. You can see the pocast here: http://revision3.com/diggnation/2006-11-30,
For now only if your a member you can watch the video or else you could just download the audio and listen foward to the 38th minute. I wish he had just called his source and rumored to all of us about the iphone.

Buschmaster
Dec 3, 2006, 09:56 AM
Funny thing to hear from a frequent at a rumors site.:)

I'm not due for a phone for a while from my contract, but if this phone were really awesome, I'd get it for sure, I know it'd sync and sing with my MacBook... That's the most exciting prospect to me.

OdduWon
Dec 3, 2006, 09:58 AM
It sounds like everything we've been hoping for (most of us anyway). Lets pop the champagne!

The only concern is... Why would the 8gb model cost $200 more than the 4gb model? ... It could point to one of them being a smart phone, and the other not...Instead, i think this "slide out keyboard" would really be the keypad for dialing, and the surface of the device would have a screen and a click wheel, like several mockups have shown. This makes an otherwise credible seeming source seem less credible.

agreed, the reason for the price gap will be the intelligence in the higher phone. but it could also be the inclusion of a killer hands-free set. with all the research going on at apple lately ( itv,earbuds,fm/tuner,shuffelizing and isight) i think we can expect the TelePod to be the culmination of these labors.

As for slidout keyboards, if it is nano sized it will definitely have one and it will be as slick as the click wheel ;) does anyone think this will be too small??? Ichat and photobooth mobile. how hard would it be to run a mobile iclip? put together your friday night video playlist or compose a vblog for Youtube.

but then again the pod products are about celebrating the Mac not becomming one. YET:p

dan-o-mac
Dec 3, 2006, 10:00 AM
If your a member of Revision 3 and have seen the latest Diggnation you would know this is true. You could tell and he hinted to saying that he has seen the phone and i felt like i wanted to just YELL at him to TELL US ALL! :mad: Because he didnt want to screw his source hinting to the truth of this phone and the details. You can see the pocast here: http://revision3.com/diggnation/2006-11-30,
For now only if your a member you can watch the video or else you could just download the audio and listen foward to the 38th minute. I wish he had just called his source and rumored to all of us about the iphone.

Or you can get the video from here.

http://www.diggdown.net/

job
Dec 3, 2006, 10:02 AM

But forget about CDMA, I didn't think anyone but the farmers out in the scrub used CDMA and even they gave that up ages ago when satellite phones became cheap.

I thought Verizon still used CDMA.

Anyone want to correct me?

timon
Dec 3, 2006, 10:14 AM

Your quite right. In the US CDMA, i.e., Verizon, has about half of the market so leaving CDMA out could really hurt sales.

What will be interesting is if Apple does release a CDMA phone will they do it through Verizon or own their own. If through Verizon will Apple let Verizon force them to cripple the phone features? If they go on their own then will Verizon let you connect to the network? I've heard that they won't but them maybe Apple is ready to take them to court. One the other hand I've been told by one Verison rep they will but won't give you any technical support.

mmzplanet
Dec 3, 2006, 10:15 AM

Yes they do.

CDMA is a great technology (If you use GPS, you use CDMA tech), GSM (a form of TDMA) has advantages too. Those who blatently bash one or the other don't really know anything or they work for a cell company that uses one of them.

But will VZW keep their mitts off the OS? .... doubtful. But maybe they will surrender to iPods marketshare.

calyxman
Dec 3, 2006, 10:16 AM

Yes they do, and I believe Alltell does as well.

JohnGalt
Dec 3, 2006, 10:19 AM
There's large gap between 4GB and 8GB ($249 -> $449), if previous rumors are to be believed... there will be a lowerend "just phone" and a higher end "smart phone"

arn

You are correct. Given the $100 difference between a 4GB & 8GB iPod today, and that 8GB nanos are rumored to not be selling as well as hoped, doubling the price difference doesn't seem to make sense

It also isn't typical of Apple's marketing group who usually has price points that make it easy to start out thinking you're going to buy an iPod shuffle but walk out the door with a quad PowerMac..... ;)

randomlinh
Dec 3, 2006, 10:21 AM
You are correct. Given the $100 difference between a 4GB & 8GB iPod today, and that 8GB nanos are rumored to not be selling as well as hoped, doubling the price difference doesn't seem to make sense

It also isn't typical of Apple's marketing group who usually has price points that make it easy to start out thinking you're going to buy an iPod shuffle but walk out the door with a quad PowerMac..... ;)

$100 price difference? I thought it was only $50.. and everyone I know who bought a nano bought the 8GB one.

kansast
Dec 3, 2006, 10:24 AM
Wondering how well sales will be. I know that buying a new cell phone ain't quite as easy as say buying a new iPod. I think of all the people I know who have 'newer' cell phones, and they all complain about not being able to figure out how to use all the features.. I use most the features on my phone, but I'm constantly amazed at how lame the User Interface is.. I keep waiting for apple to come out with their version of the 'consumer' iPhone. And an interface that kicks ass. About time for me to get a new phone anyway :-)

Ahheck01
Dec 3, 2006, 10:30 AM
Foremost in my mind is in-car use. Right now we have adapters to interface our iPods with our head units. We also have adapters to have our cell phones become handsfree, integrating with our head units. I think a HUGE selling point of the iPhone would be the ability to have one universal connection to head units where we interface our iPhones' music with our head unit, while at the same time having it automatically mute itself for incoming calls with the whole handsfree thing.

This will be an awesome product if they don't half-arse the phone and the mp3 player in order to combine them.

-Evan

freeny
Dec 3, 2006, 10:31 AM
Funny thing to hear from a frequent at a rumors site.:)

Not that I don't believe of its existence, its just the rumors of the iPhone have taken on a life of their own. To the point that you really cant believe anything. I will reserve my right to make judgments on the thing for when it is released.

Im not a "cell-phone person" mostly because I haven't seen one that has ever inspired me to do more than to make a phone call...

shawnce
Dec 3, 2006, 10:33 AM
I hope it's a 3G phone so it can make use of fast mobile internet in conjunction with a mobile version of the iTunes Store.

Umm... "3G" has standards that use CDMA (for example 3GSM uses W-CDMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-CDMA) and others even use CDMA to subdivide time slots in TDMA). Also CDMA is generally a newer concept then TDMA and one that became possible with the faster DSP we can do these days.

After a little digging it looks like your NextG is W-CDMA based... so again what was your point?

CDMA is a great technology (If you use GPS, you use CDMA tech), GSM (a form of TDMA) has advantages too. Those who blatently bash one or the other don't really know anything or they work for a cell company that uses one of them.

++

correct... folks should go look up CDMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA) and TDMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_division_multiple_access) (even FDMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FDMA), SDMA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDMA), etc.)

These acronyms are used to describe how available bandwidth in a communication channel is shared by multiple simultaneous transmitters. They apply to cellular networks, satellite communication channels, terrestrial communication channels, etc.

Darrin Bell
Dec 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
I know this rumor must be 100% true, because my wife's Cingular contract expires at the end of this month, she desperately needs a new phone, and I just bought her a brand new, engraved Nano. :(

thejadedmonkey
Dec 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
Ok, so it the price points are correct, this means that an iPhone will cost the same as an iPod nano of the same size. That doesn't sound right, which means Apple will have to either, 1- increase the space on the nano, or 2- lower the price on the nano. We all know apple will never lower the price, so this means there's an iPod nano update in the works too!

j_maddison
Dec 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
Sounds cool, wonder what will happen with the UK version though. I doubt I'll get one as they sound fairly expensive. Unless of course you can get it free with a contract.

I wouldn’t be too concerned, based on current exchange rates the phones would be priced at £125.85 and £226.94. That's hardly an expensive phone, so the networks will no doubt subsidise the costs of the handsets quite easily. To put some perspective on this; the low end phone is just slightly cheaper than a Nokia 6230i, and the higher end phone is circa the same price as a SonyEricsson K800i.

I'm basing the prices on what O2 are charged by the respective companies before they subsidise the costs of the handsets (former O2 employee).

This means the smaller capacity phone would fit into the higher end of the budget phone range market.

Jason

kristoffer4
Dec 3, 2006, 10:44 AM
Do you think we can expect a camera as well?:)

gcreedle
Dec 3, 2006, 10:48 AM
Good timing for Apple...just ruled that unlocking cellphones is legal, supporting the notion that the phone will be avaialble for all systems.

macintel4me
Dec 3, 2006, 10:57 AM
I love the contradictary statements right next to each other...

lol

rxse7en
Dec 3, 2006, 10:58 AM
I know this rumor must be 100% true, because my wife's Cingular contract expires at the end of this month, she desperately needs a new phone, and I just bought her a brand new, engraved Nano. :(
Usually the case for me...BUT this time my contract coincides with a potential iphone release. I know a majority of the people out there like cell/pda combos, personally, I have had cells since they were first available--not a bag phone mind you--and have found that over the years my needs are pretty concrete now. I've found I only need the following capabilities:

1. phone
2. email (the ability to synch with the mac while I'm away would be pretty sweet)
3. hispeed, broadband modem capability
4. ebook reader (I'm a fan of the Symbian OS and all of it's available software)
5. a 3mp camera would be sweet
6. music player (I'l give my iPod to the wife)

I LOVE reading books on my phone. Totally addicted. I'm a voracious reader and the ability to read anywhere is fantastic. No more night lights, no longer do I lose my pages and no longer do I have to worry about my dog shredding my books--it's happened. My family is shocked when they see me holding a paperback nowadays--for those rare times I can't find a digital version of a novel I want to read.

B

ltcol266845
Dec 3, 2006, 11:00 AM
Wow, if all those are true, it is going to be one expensive machine. I would consider getting one if I didn't already have a 5G iPod.

BornAgainMac
Dec 3, 2006, 11:02 AM
Come on Phone Shuffle. One that you can hang around your neck and is very small.

Project
Dec 3, 2006, 11:08 AM
Anything that will end my pain of using Windows Mobile is welcomed.

But in the wider sense of schemes, this has the potential to be great. It essentially *is* OSX Mobile. Think about the range of thing you should be able to do on this player.

Sync with iTunes
Sync with Address Book (2 way sync unlike iPod)
Sync with iCal (2 way sync unlike iPod)
Sync with Mail (every mail on your phone)
Integration with Leopard's system wide To Do list
Sync with iPhoto (2 way sync if iPhone has a camera)
Browser (mobile Safari? Or Opera?)
iChat (a mobile IM client that syncs with your contacts)

Then if they had an easy platform for developers to build applications, then Apple are laughing. Imagine a mobile OmniOutliner... you could easily sync your .OO3 files to read on the go, and add to them with the keyboard before syncing back to your Mac.

The possibilities for this thing are huge for Mac owners if they get it right. Windows is a little bit harder, but iPod already has iTunes/Outlook sync so its on the right lines.

Gherkin
Dec 3, 2006, 11:09 AM
I won't be ditching my iPod until these phones can hold at least 30 GB. I guess I have a few years to wait.

Trishul
Dec 3, 2006, 11:12 AM
even if it's unavailable to buy in Jan, pretty darn sure it will be announced much like the Shuffle was, and a month later we'll no doubt see countless "where's my iPhone?" threads. But another thing i'm sure will be announced this January is the true video iPod, and i'm wondering of the possibility of communication between the iPod and iPhone, and if there is an update of the nano too (built in comms with Nike+), the same with that. It seems as good a time as any for iPods to gain some form of wireless technology, every Mac sold has Wifi and Bluetooth, a proprietary signal/frequency (??) between Apple's portable products could be something possible right?

possible features. Driving with 6G iPod hardwired into car, you get a phone call, and the ipod automatically dims the volume and simultaenously displays Caller ID and info. Most likely feature, download song with iPhone and transfer to iPod. But if the iPhone has a regular headphone jack, and sound quality/battery life is on par with the nano, i cant see too many people carrying both an iPod and iPhone, only a small batch of gadget freaks will do that, the car being the most likely situation i'd imagine, so maybe wireless tech would be fairly pointless, or not?

tkn
Dec 3, 2006, 11:18 AM
Hope this is all true!

Then why do you need an Apple phone? Just buy a MotoFONE or some other random phone that works with iSync then. If you want music, maybe buy one of the Sony Walkman phones, although there are certainly plenty of other choices. There are plenty of phones for "normal" consumers out there, and if the only reason you want an Apple phone is that it might be "cool", then I am glad that they aren't catering to you.

The reason many people want an Apple phone is to get a complicated piece of hardware the is simple to operate. I want a 3G phone that I can video-iChat on, type e-mails, and take photos with (preferably GPS tagged photos)...

ImNoSuperMan
Dec 3, 2006, 11:19 AM

arn

Well a smartphone with 8 GB Flash RAM carrying APPLE tag for 450$ = Unrealistically cheap. Maybe 500+. Nothing less.

Though I`d love if it`s true but I really doubt it`ll be priced so low. Whatever the price may be, I gotta start saving from today only.:)

nagromme
Dec 3, 2006, 11:22 AM
I want the smart phone.

But even if these details are true (and you ignore ther question marks like touchscreen) it still seems likely that one model would come out before the other, as other rumors have said. 4GB in early 06, but I expect to wait for the higher version. Still, I hope they at least SHOW both.

And IF this is true, be patient: showing in January could mean shipping in April!

timmillwood
Dec 3, 2006, 11:25 AM
i was gonna get a nano for christmas but i think i am going to wait for the iPhone.

This all sounds good, good price compared with nano, just hope it comes out in UK.

Flyinace2000
Dec 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
Time to sell the unlocked KRZR is ust bought on ebay.

zedwards
Dec 3, 2006, 11:30 AM
A cellphone is not going to cost as much as an ipod. you guys are idiots if you think that. Most unsubidized premium phones cost like $700 at least. The razr was 500 with a 2 year contract and that phone is crap.

Also, there is a difference between predicting and actually knowing someting is going to happen. Anyone can predict that apple will sell an iphone this year. Woopdeedoo?

heyjp
Dec 3, 2006, 11:32 AM
Hey,

January is always the big announcement month... MacWorld et al. Apple's probably fully introducing the iTV in january, yes? Add an iPhone and maybe a Beatles iPod and an exclusive deal with the Beatles in iTunes (Ringo on stage with Steve) and you have a heck of a January.

The last thing they would do is intro an iTunes-centric phone the month before Xmas and NOT be able to deliver it. Would eat into their Xmas Nano sales.

Jim

the.snitch
Dec 3, 2006, 11:34 AM
And Kevin comes through on us again with the details early!

Just curious, do many of the readers here listen/watch diggnation?

rxse7en
Dec 3, 2006, 11:34 AM
Then why do you need an Apple phone? Just buy a MotoFONE or some other random phone that works with iSync then. If you want music, maybe buy one of the Sony Walkman phones, although there are certainly plenty of other choices. There are plenty of phones for "normal" consumers out there, and if the only reason you want an Apple phone is that it might be "cool", then I am glad that they aren't catering to you.

The reason many people want an Apple phone is to get a complicated piece of hardware the is simple to operate. I want a 3G phone that I can video-iChat on, type e-mails, and take photos with (preferably GPS tagged photos)...
That's right! Forgot all about the iChat schtuff! Wi-fi enabled too so that you can tap all those free wi-fi spots for free chatting or skype-type capabilities. Slick. I guess they'll be video capability tied in with iTunes store and you can download and watch movies and tv episodes on the fly. Add in the ability to have massive HD storage and a lot of people wouldn't even consider an iPod anymore. This thing could really make the Zune look pretty silly.

Kinda weird for me to get excited about this "phone" as I never got excited about any iPod news. I have a 30gb iPod and find it very useful, but the potential of this iPhone is VERY exciting to me--or that could just be the painkillers starting to kick in.

B

Some_Big_Spoon
Dec 3, 2006, 11:35 AM
If I can get my email on it, then sign me up. Otherwise, I'll wait on the sidelines.

Yonizzle
Dec 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
I hope I can get one of these at a store that also sells phone service. I got a contract subsidy for my SE K750i, even though no U.S. carriers "officially" had that phone, because I went to a store that sold it and T-Mobile service. The store gets money from T-Mo for every time they get a contract customer, so they'll subsidize any phone.

Problem is, I don't think the bigger electronics chains––the ones likely to be carrying Apple's phones--offer this kind of deal. I think they only subsidize carrier-branded phones. So I hope Apple is actually working out deals w/some carriers. I'll be eligible for a renewal subsidy soon, and I can probably get a damn sweet non-Apple phone for $250-$450...

sartinsauce
Dec 3, 2006, 11:46 AM
You're complaining about your contracts. The idea here is that Apple would be releasing an unlocked phone. That means that you don't have to re-up with your provider to get the phone. It means thatt you would buy the iPhone and it would work with your existing service. Either you pop you SIM Card into the iPhone or you take it to your provider and they do some hocus pocus mumbo jumbo and your iPhone is now the active hardware on your account.

I've been wanting a phone designed by Apple for years, so I really want this to be true. Sad thing is, I'm most excited about what the iPhone might be called. As a name, I think "iPhone" is sucky. I mean, iPod was/is cool because of the "Pod" part. I never would have thought that "Pod" was going to suggest a music player.

Diatribe
Dec 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
Actually, podfuture, a member here predicted the new nano and a number of other iPod-related products long before Kevin Rose did. poddy seemed to have very intimate knowledge of both the production and the design processes of the Apple team.

Yeah, he got numerous things right, even the iPod boombox, etc.

Funny thing is his profile doesn't even report a last activity.... very mysterious. :cool:

YoNeX
Dec 3, 2006, 11:58 AM
Here is the Video Google of the clip:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3463346182677886862&hl=en

Grakkle
Dec 3, 2006, 12:02 PM
I still haven't got an iPod:eek:. I think if this actually comes out I might go for it - I don't listen to music on the go often enough to justify a plain iPod, but I would buy an iPhone/iPod.

puuukeey
Dec 3, 2006, 12:09 PM
matt's ideal phone:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2m4pob5.jpg

Whistleway
Dec 3, 2006, 12:10 PM
Good. iPhone is a done deal except the stupid name.

I been out of contract for a year with cingular. So, I am all excited to buy a phone without a contract and swap it. Lets see what happens.

Yonizzle
Dec 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
You're complaining about your contracts. The idea here is that Apple would be releasing an unlocked phone. That means that you don't have to re-up with your provider to get the phone. It means thatt you would buy the iPhone and it would work with your existing service. Either you pop you SIM Card into the iPhone or you take it to your provider and they do some hocus pocus mumbo jumbo and your iPhone is now the active hardware on your account.
I'm not missing the point at all. My point is that I actually would prefer to renew my contract to get a discount. And that I have gotten unlocked, unbranded phones at subsidized prices. That is, I'm tied to my carrier
for the length of my contract, but my phone isn't.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind a carrier-locked phone, as long a) as they only effect the network/branding and leave the other features uncrippled, and b) the carrier provides unlocking after a few months (as many of them do with existing locked phones).

RichP
Dec 3, 2006, 12:16 PM
Why is everyone contract, subsidized, carrier obsessed.

Apple will release it, available only through them and those who sell iPods. I think the price speculated is a bit cheap. However, Apple sells you the "iPhone Smart" for $500, with no carrier intervention, and they have COMPLETE CONTROL OVER THE OS AND EXPERIENCE. This is HUGE!! Carriers want the phone hindered so it conforms to their $$$services$$$ and why should companies like Moto et al. even develop new, better OS'es and user interfaces when the carrier is going to slap their stuff all over it anyway?

Apple is in a unique position for this phone to really take off. They have the iTunes installed user base in both Mac and Windows varieties. They are known for intergration and user-ease, something no phone is presently good at.

csimmons
Dec 3, 2006, 12:19 PM
Ok, so it the price points are correct, this means that an iPhone will cost the same as an iPod nano of the same size. That doesn't sound right, which means Apple will have to either, 1- increase the space on the nano, or 2- lower the price on the nano. We all know apple will never lower the price, so this means there's an iPod nano update in the works too!

or 3- discontinue the nano. They did it with the mini...:cool:

spicyapple
Dec 3, 2006, 12:23 PM
Although cool, WiFi isn't huge with open networks, at least in the UK, but if the $450 one had WiFi that'd be cool for home use.
I can't find hotspots even carrying around my laptop. And wi-fi sucks way too much battery life for it to be useful. Maybe when cell phones have built-in fusion reactors, would it become a possibility. ;)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

pdpfilms
Dec 3, 2006, 12:25 PM
What worries me about a January release is the fact that iPhone related patents are still coming in. With a patent filed for processing, Apple would still need to incorporate it into the phone and product test the heck out of it, as it's completely new.

Either Apple is going to work their arses off to incorporate all of this new stuff by Jan, or all the recent patents we've seen (ceramic casing, touch screen improvements, etc.) won't be a part of it.

sososowhat
Dec 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know of a phone/provider that allows voicemail to be stored in the phone, not through dial-up with frustrating & slow menus? A nice interface & instant access to any message would be a huge improvement.

bigbossbmb
I hope it's a 3G phone so it can make use of fast mobile internet in conjunction with a mobile version of the iTunes Store. Download to your iPhone on the go, come home and it will sync your song back to your computer.

This is definitely the idea...especially since they've included this feature in the latest version of iTunes (synching purchased music across computers using your iPod).

I really hope this is announced at MacWorld. I just got a new phone over the summer (verizon razr, blah) and my ipod just died. This would be beautiful.

mahonmeister

Doubt it. Not everyone wants a Phone/mp3 player in one.

I hope they don't sacrifice too much to make it super thin and small. I hope it has a decent sized screen and a camera. Maybe the more expensive phone will be a bigger form-factor so it can fit all the keys and a bigger screen?

Whistleway
Here is the Video Google of the clip:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3463346182677886862&hl=en

Thanks for the video. It looks like a done deal. :)

AppliedVisual
Dec 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

I personally hope it DOESN'T have a camera. Too many cell phones out there trying to be an all-in-one gadget instead of doing one or two things well. I hope the iPhone is a top-notch phone with some "smart" features like a datebook and contact management and an iPod nano rolled into one. The last thing I need is another device with a *****ty camera glued onto it. Oh, and it better have bluetooth support for both a wireless headset and earphones for music and hopefully have a combo of those two devices available.

TheNipponese
Dec 3, 2006, 12:39 PM
Yes they do.

But will VZW keep their mitts off the OS? .... doubtful. But maybe they will surrender to iPods marketshare.

Actually, Verizon uses CDMA2000 and the new 3G upgrades to Cingular are W-CDMA. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think there are any consumer cell providers that use the original CDMA anymore. Maybe this will help end the confusion.

ANYWAY, if the iPhone doesn't support 3G UMTS (and thusly HSDPA), then it is really a waste of everyone's time. Cingular's $60/month unlimited PC connect feature would allow me to drop my Comcast broadband! Who needs a hotspot when you can just link your phone's Bluetooth connection with your MBP and be on the web at more than a megabit? FAST web, gmail, gmaps, mobile photo blogging! YEEE HAWWW

I know WIFI phones seem to be all the rage these days, but I think it's a little unrealistic that the providers would widely support a feature that makes them LESS money...unless their 10 year goal is to enslave the Internet as their transport mechanism but I guess that goes to show I don't know much about this stuff.

tyson12zoll
Dec 3, 2006, 12:41 PM
The two batteries makes a whole lot of sense. I always seem to be running my ipod till it dies. It would be nice to know that the phone portion has its own battery too keep me in touch when the 'ipod' goes out.

LaFouinard
Dec 3, 2006, 12:41 PM
Really hope this is accurate, the Motorola V3im I got to do me until the iPhone is really crap!

AJ Muni
Dec 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
LOL poor kevin reallyyyyyy doesnt wanna say anything, its so funny how alex keeps pressuring him to say something.

AppliedVisual
Dec 3, 2006, 12:45 PM
IFor that matter, I wouldn't mind a carrier-locked phone, as long a) as they only effect the network/branding and leave the other features uncrippled, and b) the carrier provides unlocking after a few months (as many of them do with existing locked phones).

This is one of my primary concerns as well... I'm currently with Verizon, but they are well known for crippling the abilities of their phones. Many of their camera phone models are crippled in that you have to retrieve your pictures by emailing them through their picture service at $0.25 each or whatever instead of simply allowing for download of them via USB or Bluetooth. I've had to hack my last two phones just to be able to use most of the functions. My previous phone - the v265e supported MP3 ringtones, but Verizon didn't list or support that feature and they crippled it. Had to go into the firmware settings from the service mode and flip a toggle to ignore file extension relations. Then I could email an MP3 (renamed to a .MID file) to the phone -- for $0.10 because it wouldn't let me use the USB cable to do it. Since the phone wasn't checking extensions anymore, it would properly play the MP3 file.. What a bunch of BS.

Hopefully Apple has enough muscle to get their iPhone on the market with most providers and still be able to retain full functionality. Because I'm not goint to spend $250 to $450 for an iPhone if I have to hack the thing to get 90% of its features or if I have to pay extra fees to use these features. I'll consider other carriers (and I do regularly), but so far Verizon is the only carrier that has coverage everywhere I need.

lorductape
Dec 3, 2006, 12:46 PM
I was looking at some of his other stories, and it's funny, both the nano story and the macworld 05 story had about twice as many negative reviews as positive. of course, how could the iPhone be viewed as negative?

I think that the $250 model will probably be the higher end one, who would pay nearly 500 for a phone. then again, people said the same about iPod 1...

AdeFowler
Dec 3, 2006, 12:47 PM
Looks more like a wishlist to me, but I guess the guy has a decent track record which gives it some credence. You just have to wonder who his 'solid source' is.

OdduWon
Dec 3, 2006, 12:48 PM
iMobile ;) ithink sounds better. I also think it will have a 2.0mp camera and Xmobile 1.00. Photobooth on a phone would be cool. also video would be cool too. though the quality is not all that great it would look good on the imobile screen, and that would be it's purpose. plus it makes updating contacts and ichat buddies easy on the fly. this is what i want to sway my purchase. something that i can do thing on besides just making playlists and viewing media. i want to be able to compose a daily video blog with recorded sound, video, pictures ,ect from my day and be able to edit it and share it with friends, without docking it. this would be the next level of communication. plus with Youtube comming to phones soon it is inevitable.

as for the "i only want a telephone and not a mp3 plaayer" crowd, you should get a jitterbug (http://www.jitterbug.com/promotions/101106_landing.asp)

lol :p

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
I'm so excited about this. I'm moving to the UK next fall for grad school (well, one hopes) and my current phone is a crappily crippled Verizon RAZR that, being CDMA, is not a phone that can be used in Europe. If the iPhone has the same sort of ingenious design that other Apple products have then I'm on board.

Personally, I'm hoping for a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. I depend a lot on IM/Email/SMS to stay in touch with people, especially those in other countries (mostly the UK, and on in France). With the family and so many people being back in the US, I plan to depend on it that much more. It'd be nice to have a whole messaging suite in one phone. Not to mention my iPod broke about a year ago out of warranty and I'm in the market for an 8GB model =)

EGT
Dec 3, 2006, 12:55 PM
I don't know, I hope Apple have really thought about ruggedness and withstanding a bit of battering as mobile phones are usually subjected to. This is so important to me.

The other features sound great though. :) Looking forward to January!

AppliedVisual
Dec 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
iMobile ;)

Ooooh.... Bad. Too much like immobile, as in "dude, this phone isn't going anywhere."

Seasought
Dec 3, 2006, 01:00 PM
Awesome.

Last year I screwed up and let my impatience get the best of me. I bought a Powerbook G4 right before the Intel switch (though I still love my Powerbook). Now I find myself wanting a new phone, and ideally a smart phone.

There's no way in hell I'm spending any of my Xmas money this year, I'm waiting on this news to surface or die. I need to switch providers too (which is the only way to get any sort of "deal" from cellular providers imo), so I hope this works out.

Cinch
Dec 3, 2006, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking of buying the KRZR flatout ($400), but holding off to see what Apple can offer. I must admit that the KRZR is the phone to beat at the moment. If Apple can come up with something beautiful, I'm game!

Cinch

xPismo
Dec 3, 2006, 01:12 PM
Good. My dad's phone sucks and will be dead soon, so If he can hold out till MWSF I'll plunk up for 2 phones... or 3 if my sister gets wind of it.

Ouch, that could be expensive. :p

Dec 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
The iPhone rumor is so old that I've just lost any excitement discussing it...

I am glad Apple is about to release it, but it's gonna be hard for me to just ditch my abonnement/subscription in Switzerland and replace the great RAZR v3i I've got for an iPhone...at least until the subscription expires, bien sûr...:rolleyes:

macfan881
Dec 3, 2006, 01:14 PM
if im not mistaking wasnt cingular the "exclusive Company" for the first 6 months or will it just be all providers after the first 6 months any hope i will come to Verizon and hope verizion wont be stupid with the phones and lock out certain features

blybug
Dec 3, 2006, 01:17 PM
Looks more like a wishlist to me, but I guess the guy has a decent track record which gives it some credence. You just have to wonder who his 'solid source' is.

..and if Apple is trying to expose a suspected leaker, letting loose the "2 battery" idea would easily point back to a specific person they were setting up...

Kingsly
Dec 3, 2006, 01:20 PM
"It's small as *****"

Yeah, this guy sounds fracking brilliant. :rolleyes:

thebrain74
Dec 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
The was a guy on here who said something interesting, if this supposed iPhone came out, he would give his ipod to his wife. Do you guys think that apple might play it a little safe with the mp3 features on this thing in order not to cannabilize ipod (especially Nano) sales. The low end one is basically a nano so ya, you walk in and theres a 4gig $200 nano and a 4gig $200 small phone, what do ya pick if there both apple. My nod would be for the phone. I don't if flash prices are decreasing enough for this to work but maybe apple could up or double the nano capacities, mabye 2,6,10, or 2,8,14 or something to help so the nano has a different worth in itself. I think the capacity of the real ipod keeps it safe for awhile, but I would be damned if Apple put a touchscreen in their phone if they didnt have one ready for their flagship ipod

my .02
Thebrain

spicyapple
Dec 3, 2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah, this guy sounds fracking brilliant. :rolleyes:
LOL. He founded Digg.com. :) http://digg.com/about/kevin

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

Cinch
Dec 3, 2006, 01:23 PM
if is more compelling than the KRZR, I'll pay $600 for it. Go for the highend, Apple. Forget the twenty something who doesn't have disposable income, try thirty-something with some cash to spare (god I'm getting old):D .

Cinch

Kingsly
Dec 3, 2006, 01:25 PM
LOL. He founded Digg.com. :)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

Then, being a tech reviewer, you think he would be able to compare the size of a device to something other than excrement. ;) :D

Foocha
Dec 3, 2006, 01:35 PM
I doubt that it will be called iPhone. It's much more likely to be called "iPod phone" or "iPod cell", or maybe something more creative like "iPod connect". I don't see them coming up with another "i*" brand that will be become confused with iPod, since this product is likely to be the longterm successor to the current iPod lineup.

Strategically, I suspect that if Apple are getting into the phone business, it is because they see convergence with music players as being inevitable, and therefore getting into phones early represents an opportunity, whilst not getting into phones represents a long term threat to their iPod business.

If you follow this to it's logical conclusion, then this indicates that Apple assumes one day their entire product lineup will include cellphone functionality. They're therefore likely to adopt a similar strategy to the introduction of photo functionality. The first iPod to support photos was branded as "iPod photo" - when photo functionality was rolled out across the entire screenbased product lineup, the "photo" bit was dropped. And so, if they call their phones "iPod mobile" (or similar) then when the entire lineup has switched over, their mobile phone business will inherit the iPod moniker.

jholzner
Dec 3, 2006, 01:42 PM
if im not mistaking wasnt cingular the "exclusive Company" for the first 6 months or will it just be all providers after the first 6 months any hope i will come to Verizon and hope verizion wont be stupid with the phones and lock out certain features

I hope it's with cigular 'cause otherwise I'll be waiting a year to get one. My contract with them expires at the end of November 07. If it's cingular I'll pony up the money and buy one at full price. If not I'm stuck with my Razr and current contract.

Yonizzle
Dec 3, 2006, 01:43 PM
Why is everyone contract, subsidized, carrier obsessed.

Apple will release it, available only through them and those who sell iPods. I think the price speculated is a bit cheap. However, Apple sells you the "iPhone Smart" for $500, with no carrier intervention, and they have COMPLETE CONTROL OVER THE OS AND EXPERIENCE. This is HUGE!! Carriers want the phone hindered so it conforms to their $$$services$$$...

As I just explained, I can get an unlocked, unbranded, non-crippled phone at subsidized prices. The only downside is a contract, and really, I don't need to switch my phone company every few months.

So the advantage of "no carrier intervention" is worth essentially nothing to me. And if Apple wants me to buy an unsubsidized phone, it really needs to kill whatever Sony Ericsson or Nokia S60 phone I can get for hundreds less with a subsidy.

EricNau
Dec 3, 2006, 01:45 PM
Great! I just bought a new phone (actually, it was free after I signed away my soul for two more years). Either way, talk about bad timing! Although I would never buy a first gen., and I prefer to get my phones free. :)

I don't think those prices are realistic at all. The retail price of new phones is usually in the $400 to $500 range. I don't see how Apple could manage to sell a phone for half that.

Plus, I don't think all providers is a realistic claim either, but we'll see.

pinto32
Dec 3, 2006, 01:51 PM
IF Kevin says it, then it shall be so. If Alex (his co-host) says it, then any person even thinking of creating it would instantly burst into flames.

thejadedmonkey
Dec 3, 2006, 01:53 PM

:eek:

Actually, I can see that... The Nano's are so tiny, but apple can't make them bigger w/o going back to the mini's...

Foocha
Dec 3, 2006, 01:57 PM
I can see Steve coming up with a slide like this in his keynote in January:

Why combine an iPod and a phone?
- Carry one device instead of two
- Hear your phone ring on your headphones
- Listen to calls on headphones and resume music playback seamlessly
- Sync one device with your PC instead of two

and then he'll say something like this...

"iPod is the best music player out there. Period. So we thought, if we're going to add cell phone functionality to it, we want that to be the best out there too. We didn't want to make a first rate MP3 player with a second rate phone attached." (Cue amusing slide of iPod attached to a regular handset with string and tape).

"Mobile phones are a big, established industry. Other companies have been making these things for over ten years now. So we took a long hard look at what was already out there, to see if there was anything left to for us to add. And it turns out that there's a lot left to do..."

aviationwiz
Dec 3, 2006, 01:59 PM

Yeah, that seems pretty unlikely to me. "World Phones," that is, phones with both CDMA & GSM support, are really expensive, and a rare find. Having a CDMA and a GSM model seems much more likely, but VZW is known for putting on their own UI, and for testing the device to death before release.

If it were planned for release soon, surely the cell phone discussion boards, like HowardForums (http://www.howardforums.com) would have caught on to some solid information by now.

dan-o-mac
Dec 3, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm thinking of buying the KRZR flatout ($400), but holding off to see what Apple can offer. I must admit that the KRZR is the phone to beat at the moment. If Apple can come up with something beautiful, I'm game!

Cinch

What's so special about it? I just looked at the specs, it doesn't do anything unique.

MrCrowbar
Dec 3, 2006, 02:02 PM
Then, being a tech reviewer, you think he would be able to compare the size of a device to something other than excrement. ;) :D

Yea, I never pooped nything smaller than a mighty mouse... hope the ohone won't be that big.

Eraserhead
Dec 3, 2006, 02:13 PM

It must be the "Zune" effect ;).

Seriously this sounds really cool, the 2 battery idea is excellent, at first I thought it was a bit silly but now it sounds better, it would be cool though if you can adjust the balance between the two halves, so if you use the phone a lot you can set it to be 90% phone 10% iPod and vice versa.

MrCrowbar
Dec 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
If you follow this to it's logical conclusion, then this indicates that Apple assumes one day their entire product lineup will include cellphone functionality. They're therefore likely to adopt a similar strategy to the introduction of photo functionality. The first iPod to support photos was branded as "iPod photo" - when photo functionality was rolled out across the entire screenbased product lineup, the "photo" bit was dropped. And so, if they call their phones "iPod mobile" (or similar) then when the entire lineup has switched over, their mobile phone business will inherit the iPod moniker.

I agree 100%. Having the iPod phone and the iPod phone nano makes total sense. I can't really picture an Ipod phone shuffle tho... you can only accept calls and call a random number... But maybe not this soon, the nano just got a big update... unless it was ready for phone capabilities from the start. I'd love apple to keep offering the nano and having the phone feature cost a little extra (BTO?).

I guess those 2 phones will look similar to the current iPod line, with a speaker and a microphone at convenient yet elegant places. The small version should be a little bigger than the 2g nano tho... try holding it to your ear like a cell phone, it's not really comfortable. But with a headset, that's another thing. Dialing with the click wheel should work (use the rotary-safe thing like the one used for the screen lock) for the few occasions you're calling someone who is not in your address book. I love the address book function on my iPod, I only miss the pictures and a 'call' menu item.

Is there any picture of a disassembled iPod nano somewhere? I wanna see how much space is left in there... I guess none at all. Still beats me how they got everything in there.

SiliconAddict
Dec 3, 2006, 02:24 PM
Hmm I may have to switch carriers if Apple produces a smart phone....just an iPod I don't really care all that much, but a smart phone? *drools*

BWhaler
Dec 3, 2006, 02:24 PM

God, I hope not.

This is one feature that about 2% of the market care about--studies, not my opinion--yet every phone has one since the carriers want to up-sell you into data charges by sharing pictures between phones.

How do you make billions on a new cell phone?

Do what the handset makers cannot or have been unable to do:

1. Great reception
2. Great battery life
3. Great intuitive operating system with not one feature 90% of the population doesn't care about.

How do you own the market:

0. World phone. 4 networks
1. Integrate flawlessly with PIM info and media info on your PC
2. Great hardware design.
3. Unlocked

I hope Apple is smart here and didn't bow down to the US carriers. A unlocked phone which works on any network, anywhere in the world with all of the Apple magic is going to sell hundreds of millions of units over the next 5 years.

Come on Apple....we've got the money. The options in the marketplace suck. The cell phone is either the #1 or #2 most used/important digital device.

Give us what we want...and not one thing extra....

info_javier
Dec 3, 2006, 02:28 PM
There is no any one image of the iphone????
Here, in Argentina (Buenos Aires, Maradona) we are very excited waiting these arrive.

En Español:

No hay ni una sola imágen del iPhone?????? Aca en Argentina (Buenos Aires, Maradona)estamos muy entusiasmados esperando el lanzamiento del iPhone.
Espero que sea pronto.

Wi-Fi Conection
Bluetooth Conection
Camera
Mini OSX System
Mini Aplications an Sync with all OSX aplications

ingenious
Dec 3, 2006, 02:29 PM

Here on Telstra's NextG service (regular old 3G but on 850MHz for better range) they offer dual-downloads so when you download a song to your phone it simultaneously downloads a higher bit rate version to your laptop. Don't know how much it costs but knowing Telstra it'll be astronomical. Good idea though but I'd rather have a phone with good storage and the same bit rate on both laptop and phone.

My mind still boggles that your telcos can dictate access to the phone's features. You shouldn't need to worry about what provider you use when you consider which phone. Sure some providers may get exclusive deals but if a phone is offered by multiple providers it should have access to all the features that it would have if it were unlocked.

Ha... yeah CDMA is like the only thing that works where I live. Cingular and others work, but not if you're inside a metal building, like say, a gym...

As for the provider software blocking, didn't the government just rule that consumers now have the right to unlock their phones?

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 02:32 PM
As for the provider software blocking, didn't the government just rule that consumers now have the right to unlock their phones?

Yes, they can even break the system software to do it. I believe another suit has been filed for crippling features, as well.

BWhaler
Dec 3, 2006, 02:33 PM
I hope I can get one of these at a store that also sells phone service. I got a contract subsidy for my SE K750i, even though no U.S. carriers "officially" had that phone, because I went to a store that sold it and T-Mobile service. The store gets money from T-Mo for every time they get a contract customer, so they'll subsidize any phone.

Problem is, I don't think the bigger electronics chains––the ones likely to be carrying Apple's phones--offer this kind of deal. I think they only subsidize carrier-branded phones. So I hope Apple is actually working out deals w/some carriers. I'll be eligible for a renewal subsidy soon, and I can probably get a damn sweet non-Apple phone for $250-$450...

My bet is zero chance. I think the fact that every carrier has their own media and store shows there is no deal with Apple.

I have personally heard Steve speak about the carriers, and how they want to sell data and more minutes and so they force the creation of handsets no one wants.

I bet Apple hit a roadblock with Verizon and Cingular and Orange. So they went their own way.

The good news is it means it will be an unlocked phone and with no compromises.

The bad news is you're going to have to pay retail for it.

Personally, I will gladly pay retail to have a quality cell phone. About a decade of spending a fortune for flawed by design phones has pushed me over the edge.

Bring it home Apple. Give us the phone that takes over the world...with no compromises...

xfiftyfour
Dec 3, 2006, 02:36 PM
gosh, i'd better start saving now...

i hope the 4gb is a smart phone as well.. $250 for a regular phone + iTunes seems steep, no?

At any rate, I'd never use my phone as my iPod.. I have a 60gb iPod and I like having all that space and the ability to cart around ALL my music with me.. 4gb/8gb just isn't enough to bother with, IMO. So if they're charging that much just because of the music feature, sadly, I'll be opting out..

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 02:37 PM
Personally, I will gladly pay retail to have a quality cell phone. About a decade of spending a fortune for flawed by design phones has pushed me over the edge.

Bring it home Apple. Give us the phone that takes over the world...with no compromises...

Agreed. A new cell phone every two years is nice, but wouldn't it just be simpler if the one you bought lasted 3 or 4 (or more) years instead without breaking or being so useless you hope the next phone will be better?

joeshell383
Dec 3, 2006, 02:41 PM

The only major carriers in the U.S. that use GSM are Cingular and T-Mobile. Sprint, Alltel, Verizon Wireless, and most other providers use CDMA/EV-DO (except the old NEXTEL network which uses iDEN).

Tymmz
Dec 3, 2006, 02:45 PM
i was a bit ranting about iPhone rumours in the past, but this sounds good. A good source.

The two battery thingy sounds interesting.

EricNau
Dec 3, 2006, 02:48 PM
I don't get the two batteries... at all. :confused:

"Darn, I need to call 911 because I'm having a heart attack but battery number 1 (the phone battery) is dead. Good thing I can still listen to music with battery number 2." :rolleyes:

I must be missing something here. :confused:

BWhaler
Dec 3, 2006, 02:49 PM
if is more compelling than the KRZR, I'll pay $600 for it. Go for the highend, Apple. Forget the twenty something who doesn't have disposable income, try thirty-something with some cash to spare (god I'm getting old):D .

Cinch

I'm not going to make this an "age" thing, since I know a lot of people in their 20's making a lot of money, but I agree with the sentiment for Apple to not go for the cheap skates who will want it for free or dirt cheap.

And don't try to make the reviewers happy. The same people who demand a radio in the iPod, ignoring the fact that radio sucks nowadays and it hurts Apple's iTunes business model.

Go for the high end Apple. Bring us a super high quality phone that changes the game.

We will pay for it. $200. $400. $600. Yes, some of us will have to save more. But there is an enormous market segment that pay that type of money today for poor quality phones--because we have no choice.

I'm buying my MWSF ticket right now. I wanna see this in person.

spicyapple
Dec 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

Two battery compartmentalized power source is a good safety feature. I hope to see this feature on all cell phones that also act as mp3 players. :)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 02:51 PM
Two battery compartmentalized power source is a good safety feature. I hope to see this feature on all cell phones that also act as mp3 players. :)

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

Why, you only need on the phone you WANT, which will be the iPhone, I'm sure =p

EricNau
Dec 3, 2006, 02:53 PM
There seems to be a lot of discussion about CDMA vs. GSM, so I thought I'd chime in with an interesting fact...

According to Verizon (CDMA) for every 1 tower they have, it takes 7 of Cingular's (GSM) to cover the same area.

This does come from Verizon, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt, but I must admit, I'm never been in an area where Cingular had coverage and Verizon didn't... it's always the other way around. For now, CDMA has the better coverage.

Elrond39
Dec 3, 2006, 02:54 PM

"Darn, I need to call 911 because I'm having a heart attack but battery number 1 (the phone battery) is dead. Good thing I can still listen to music with battery number 2." :rolleyes:

I must be missing something here. :confused:

I guess the way I see it, the phone battery will have a much longer uptime than the music one; so, the odds of you running out of phone-charge but still having music-charge seems unlikely. ;)

There seems to be a lot of discussion about CDMA vs. GSM, so I thought I'd chime in with an interesting fact...

According to Verizon (CDMA) for every 1 tower they have, it takes 7 of Cingular's (GSM) to cover the same area.

This does come from Verizon, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt, but I must admit, I'm never been in an area where Cingular had coverage and Verizon didn't... it's always the other way around. For now, CDMA has the better coverage.

Not so much in Europe... :D It's actually kind of depressing that every time the iPhone rumors flare up, there's mention of bad coverage and dropped calls and whatnot. I can honestly say that the last dropped call I had was about 4 years ago.

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 02:55 PM

Aye, that's true in the States, and generally most of the Americas, as I understand it. If you head across the Atlantic everything is GSM, which makes roaming and interoperability a hell of a lot easier. I'm not sure how good cell phone coverage in rural areas is there though. Perhaps someone from there could let us know?

dontmatter
Dec 3, 2006, 02:56 PM
Oooooooh boy!

That 8GB, $449 iPhone sure sounds swell! (Provided it's a smart-phone with slide-out qwerty-keyboard, of course :D)

The 4GB doesn't sound to shabby either! :)

I think what really strikes me most, though, is the concept of two batteries with one charger. It's simple - because there's only the one charger. But it's pure genius! There should be no reason for concern that you'll run out of phone-power because you've been listening to too many tunes. This sounds like something Steve would come up with :) Even if ONLY this is true, it'll be a breakthrough!

Hmm, disagree. Why not just make one battery twice as big? This introduces the annoying situation in which you've got battery power in your phone but can't actually use it because it's ipod power instead of phone power, or vice versa. Or you could switch the batteries? But then why not just make one and let circuts take care of it?

As for releases in january, it's exactly the right time for apple, and they use it. Not only are people broke in january, but also so are companies, because nobody's buying stuff. Introducing a big new model keeps the money coming in during an otherwise rough quarter.

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hmm, disagree. Why not just make one battery twice as big? This introduces the annoying situation in which you've got battery power in your phone but can't actually use it because it's ipod power instead of phone power, or vice versa. Or you could switch the batteries? But then why not just make one and let circuts take care of it?

Two batteries ensures that you could never run down the battery using the iPod inadvertently. I'm sure they've thought of this situation. My guess? You can opt for either the player of the phone to use both the batteries should you desire.

Elrond39
Dec 3, 2006, 02:59 PM
Aye, that's true in the States, and generally most of the Americas, as I understand it. If you head across the Atlantic everything is GSM, which makes roaming and interoperability a hell of a lot easier. I'm not sure how good cell phone coverage in rural areas is there though. Perhaps someone from there could let us know?

My parents live in a rural area, and I've never had coverage issues there. And, yes, the fact that pretty much all of Europe (where I've been, at least) is GSM is quite nice: my phone just picks up the right provider when I'm in another country, no problem, and lets me know that it's switched to said network. Considering several providers here in Europe also cover multiple countries, there's not even necessarily the switch to another provider (like T-Mobile, for example, is available in most countries I've been in).

inkswamp
Dec 3, 2006, 03:03 PM
I stopped listening to Diggnation months ago because a) they use the word "dude" so much it's frickin' annoying, and b) they get incoherently drunk on the show (and have hordes of fanboys on Digg jumping at the chance to tell them how cool that is. :confused: )

So my question is: was he drunk and rambling during this "revelation" or was he having a rare sober moment? If it's the former, it's entirely possible he was just goofing off and everyone thinks he's being serious. IIRC, he's made some drunken comments on the show that people have taken wrong already. We've ruled that out, right?

Still trying to figure out the appeal of Diggnation.

Sweetfeld28
Dec 3, 2006, 03:03 PM
The biggest thing i like about this is that is will supposedly be carried on all the big three cellular carriers networks. However, I am not sure yet if i am a big fan of the keyboard idea.

But oh well, i just can't wait to buy mine.

Rojo
Dec 3, 2006, 03:08 PM
Damn, I'm getting excited now. ;)

I was all set to get the low-end phone, because I hate most smart phones these days as they're usually way too big (and comfortability in my pocket is the most important thing to me). But if the 8gb phone is also super tiny, then I have to start saving for it now.

Looks like Top Ramen and Mac & Cheese for the next couple of months.... :D

h00ligan
Dec 3, 2006, 03:17 PM
i will get one of these in a heartbeat, if .. and only if... it can sync with an exchange server in SOME fashion. I have to get my work email, it's a job requirement - and i won't carry 2 devices, it would defeat the purpose of an ipod phone.

ingenious
Dec 3, 2006, 03:18 PM

(Disclaimer: I use Alltel, which is CDMA2000, just like Verizon)

Okay, wait. I thought Cingular used three towers for each call... like a sort of triangulation... so your calls were clearer and tower hand-off was smoother? That would explain (somewhat) the extra towers (albeit not really mathematically if Cingular claims their three towers cover the same as Verizon's one... Cingular's must cover just under one or something).

Here there are many areas where I have (with Alltel which roams on Verizon) signal and my friend, who has Cingular, doesn't. There are more where he has more signal than me, though.

kresh
Dec 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
An unlocked phone will be great for GSM providers. You just slip in the SIM card and the phone activates.

It's going to be a different story for CDMA carriers. With those guys you have to call them and tell them the new hex serial number (Alltel & Verizon) or the dec serial number (Sprint) and then program the handset with the MDN and MIN (your phone number and designation number). All three of those companies have a policy of not allowing phones on their networks that they do not sell. Alltel even claims it's because of technical support and customer quality expectation issues.

I really, really doubt you will be able to buy an iPhone at the Apple store and use it with Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, or US Cellular.

And yes they can tell the make and model of the phone based on the serial number, so you can't just lie and say it's a Krazr or something else. (When I was an Alltel business rep, we tried this many times with tier 2 support).

Edit last years numbers:

Cingular 42 million customers
Verizon 40 million customers
Sprint/Nextel: 38 million customers
Alltel: 7 million customers
T-Mobile: 14 million customers

These are contracted customers, not pre-pay users.

So that's 56 million GSM customers and 85 million CDMA customers. It may be a little different this year, I haven't looked at market share much this year.

Macula
Dec 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
Apple will need to outdo itself in matters of Quality Assurance and quality of materials/assembly. Cell phones lead tough lives! They fall and crash on the floor, they get wet, scratched and pressed, they go through thousands of keystrokes... Phones are not iPods -- they are heavy duty tools for most busy people in big, rough cities.

Apple, I hope, will spare us Macbook-type defects, scratch-prone materials, flickering screens, whines and the like. True, most cell phones in the market suck in the quality department, anyway. But Apple will have more to lose than your average phone maker if quality does not turn out to be highly consistent.

It's up to them: They really have the potential to release the best phone ever.

Max Payne
Dec 3, 2006, 03:30 PM
It's too cheap to be a mobile phone. I don't believe it.

All the Nokia N series are more expensive than $249.

kenzbud
Dec 3, 2006, 03:30 PM

A 4GB is currently $199 and a 8 GB is $249
Rumor says 4GB $249 & 8GB $449
That doesn't sound like the same price for comparable models.

And why do you say Apple will never lower the price of a iPod. They just lowered the price $50 when they released the latest 30GB & 80GB.

jholzner
Dec 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
An unlocked phone will be great for GSM providers. You just slip in the SIM card and the phone activates.

So if they sell this thing unlocked I can just pull the sim card out of my Razr (I'm with cingular) and pop it into the iPhone and I'll be up and running?

tehdee
Dec 3, 2006, 03:38 PM
i would love it if apple could pull this off.

alot of the phones sold by rogers in canada, and cingular in the U.S. are neutered. for example, the nokia e61 sold in europe had wifi, while at the north american carriers's request, they had the wi-fi feature removed. why? so they could make more money on data. wifi would be a definite advatage over bberries and moto qs and moto e's being sold currently in N.A.

it will be interesting to see how this phone will be marketed...

if the phone is 'unlocked', we are going to see alot of carriers not offering support for technical issues. in europe, and the middle east, people buy phones from thirs party retailers; this is in stark contrast to north america, where most phones are bought from the provider directly, and are usually bundled into a contract...

someone else brought up 3G. GSM carriers in north america are just beginning to roll out 3G (3.5G actually) on a national level. what kind of specs are we going to see? quad band is a given, but will it be North American 3G (UMTS 850/1900) or European Spec (UMTS 1900/2100) [NOTE: my knowloedge of this is a bit patchy, so someone please correct me if im wrong)... there is a difference between european and north american 'Third Generation'. Or will it be 2G with plain jane 850/900/1800/1900? that'd be kind of lame...

zimtheinvader
Dec 3, 2006, 03:43 PM
I agree they are far too cheap in the context of buying an "unlocked" phone.

If either is a "smart-phone" I would expect pricing to be comparable to a Treo, (its nearest competitor), which would put it closer to $6-800 street retail. Even if these prices include contracts, they're still pretty low for Apple. And what about touch-screen? The MotoQ takes a huge performance hit in Productivity due to lack of touch-screen, (and subsequent lack of Excel, Word, ect. functionality)

Plus, the low price makes me lose hope that even the high-end is a smart-phone, remember Apple's last Pda? Those things were the price of a freakin Tablet-PC today! $449 is high for an ipod, but not for a Razr, not for a Razr+ipod, but it seems a little rediculous for a "mini-osx/newton" type box! But go ahead, suprize us Apple, and revolutionize the smartphone market! Its time to nail Palm OS5's coffin closed!

prady16
Dec 3, 2006, 03:44 PM
I love the fact that it will be available with all providers!

trogdor!
Dec 3, 2006, 03:46 PM
It's too cheap to be a mobile phone. I don't believe it.

All the Nokia N series are more expensive than $249.

Yah, I want to see something that compares to the N-95. Built in GPS, WIFI, the works.

zimtheinvader
Dec 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
Also re: the post above, the HTC-6700 has everything including Wifi that can be simultaneously enabled with the latest updates, keyboard, touchscreen, multi-tasking. Imho Apple would do best to make something GSM/CDMA compliant similar to this model, but without the signal-strength issues or PPC5 flakiness...

Misplaced Mage
Dec 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
Come on Phone Shuffle. One that you can hang around your neck and is very small.Brilliant! And when you call someone, it randomly selects a number from your phonebook! :D

LastZion
Dec 3, 2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah I am not a huge fan of slide out keyboard... but everything else sounds perfect!

twoodcc
Dec 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
well i hope all is true. if so, looks like i gotta save up some money :cool:

LastZion
Dec 3, 2006, 03:53 PM
Brilliant! And when you call someone, it randomly selects a number from your phonebook! :D

hill air e us. Nice one!

Misplaced Mage
Dec 3, 2006, 03:56 PM
Agreed. A new cell phone every two years is nice, but wouldn't it just be simpler if the one you bought lasted 3 or 4 (or more) years instead without breaking or being so useless you hope the next phone will be better?It's the usual mobile device design conundrum: do you build it cheap so you can sell it at a lower price and thus sell more of them, or build it to be almost indestructible and increase the cost and decrease the number of willing buyers? The happy medium is usually to design the device to last about as long as the typical user will use it before replacing it with a better/faster/smaller/sexier unit and not due to breakage.

The trick, of course, is to determine the abuse the "typical user" will subject the device to over the course of its lifetime.

aiongiant
Dec 3, 2006, 03:56 PM
sounds so sweet! time to save up lalala =)

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
It's the usual mobile device design conundrum: do you build it cheap so you can sell it at a lower price and thus sell more of them, or build it to be almost indestructible and increase the cost and decrease the number of willing buyers? The happy medium is usually to design the device to last about as long as the typical user will use it before replacing it with a better/faster/smaller/sexier unit and not due to breakage.

The trick, of course, is to determine the abuse the "typical user" will subject the device to over the course of its lifetime.

In this, case, though, I think it's a given that people will be willing to pay a premium for a lot of features/durability/etc. And I've been trhougha few a phones in the past few years (I punish mine quite a bit) and to be honest, all I want out of any of them is messaging, phone book (address optional unless smart phone), and the ability to call. If i can also have my addresses and a qwerty keyboard that's perfect. I would have no reason to upgrade if that was the case.

SBik2
Dec 3, 2006, 04:06 PM
So if they sell this thing unlocked I can just pull the sim card out of my Razr (I'm with cingular) and pop it into the iPhone and I'll be up and running?

Yes for calling.. Then you might have to configure the Media Net settings and MMS settings i think.

The SIM stores your number, and your other information

seh80
Dec 3, 2006, 04:07 PM
I REALLY hope this is true. I'm off contract with Tmobile now and am month to month, and need a new phone. I got a SE K790a (which was awesome) one week ago, put it on ebay this morning and it sold within two hours so now I have the cash and am so ready. Even if there is no phone, at least I have funds to get some other tempting MWSF goodie should there be one!

lOUDsCREAMEr
Dec 3, 2006, 04:19 PM
some a hole trying to steal the spotlight,,,
what a wild guess/common sense b sht

Bengt77
Dec 3, 2006, 04:20 PM
I love the fact that it will be available with all providers!
Hey, don't go all out here. This is MacRumors, and since this whole iPhone thing is still nothing more than a (persistent, but still) rumor that means there is no fact here whatsoever. Still, it's funny, reading the word fact in a thread like this.

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 04:23 PM
Hey, don't go all out here. This is MacRumors, and since this whole iPhone thing is still nothing more than a (persistent, but still) rumor that means there is no fact here whatsoever. Still, it's funny, reading the word fact in a thread like this.

Agreed. My guess is that there will definitely be a GSM world phone. That captures roughly 1/3 of the US market, and all of the European market (not sure about Asia, am pretty sure they use CDMA...).

I wouldn't hold my breath for a CDMA model, though...

Latisha
Dec 3, 2006, 04:25 PM
The best thing they could do, imo, is Apple-ize the way the contracts are dealt with. Right now, that is, in my opinion, the clunkiest and most confusing part of having a cell phone: the stuff having to do with paying for your service, different payment plans, etc. I think Apple could do to that what they did to online music downloads.

mr_matalino
Dec 3, 2006, 04:27 PM
Nothing about calendar syncing or WiFi? :(

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 04:29 PM
Nothing about calendar syncing or WiFi? :(

I think calendar syncing is sort of implied. It'd be a rather major oversight to not have it. I'm not sure how widespread the wi-fi cell phone services are yet, anyone know of any that work in any country? Tests were extremely successful, I hear, by Motorola using a technology they have kept as a trade secret to transfer calls between wi-fi and cells. If you mean wi-fi for internet access, etc, I don't think anyone has any idea. Not even Kevin Rose =p

leorou
Dec 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
Guys, maybe the iPhone is a flip-phone...did anybody heard the diggnation 0074 (2006-11-30) audio? Kevin Rose said "...and i believe touch-screen in the outside...", and in my opinion that implies a flip-phone. I think that Steve couldn't think a phone without a camera, nowadays is a standard req. for a mobile phone. And about the "...slide out keyboard...", why? I read that Apple discovered a way of having a touch-screen with keyboard capabilities, please Apple, use it!. Well, that's it.

Ohh, i'm too in the list of having one! Yeahhh :)

Sorry 'bout my english, i'm from Uruguay, Latin America :D

Cheers!

Marx55
Dec 3, 2006, 04:36 PM
We need tons of such iPhone for our University with these features:

- Biuilt-in Mac OS X mobile.
- Wireless

to do this:

1. Make Keynote or PowerPoint presentation on Mac or PC-Windows.

2. Save to the iPhone.

3. Use the wireless iPhone as a remote control for the presentation. No cables or computer involved.

Check out:

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/evidence_mounts_for_january_iphone

http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=1
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=2
http://www.t3.co.uk/nested_content/gallery_assetlisting_navigation?root=633162&result_page=3

Tremendous halo effect on all corporate, education and domestic markets!

Mal
Dec 3, 2006, 04:37 PM
Just for the record, I predicted dual batteries a while back. I'll dig up the post later, but that's exactly how I said it should be done.

jW

ifjake
Dec 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
i'd buy it. it would be the simultaneous event in which i got a phone for more than free-with-plan and an iPod product.

justflie
Dec 3, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm just annoyed that I have meetings ALL day (probably til at least 8pm EST) on MWSF. It's gonna be killer to have to wait all day to find out about this and other releases!

Mr. DG
Dec 3, 2006, 05:04 PM
AAARGHH!

How can people watch that video? Smug drunk people not knowing where Denmark is... I had to switch off.

BWhaler
Dec 3, 2006, 05:14 PM
Apple will need to outdo itself in matters of Quality Assurance and quality of materials/assembly. Cell phones lead tough lives! They fall and crash on the floor, they get wet, scratched and pressed, they go through thousands of keystrokes... Phones are not iPods -- they are heavy duty tools for most busy people in big, rough cities.

Apple, I hope, will spare us Macbook-type defects, scratch-prone materials, flickering screens, whines and the like. True, most cell phones in the market suck in the quality department, anyway. But Apple will have more to lose than your average phone maker if quality does not turn out to be highly consistent.

I agree. It was my second thought--behind "God, I hope Apple does this"--was "And I hope they don't do it with this new found crappy quality."

Jobs has got to start ordering products from the retail channel. Literally just walk into the store in Palo Alto and buy some products.

I think the execs are missing how bad the situation is. Sure, the prototypes and sample runs prepared for the execs are going to be flawless. (The manufacturers and underlings make sure of that.)

But once things go into high production, quality hits the toilet.

Apple, and Steve, need to remember it's the quality that ends-up in the hands of the paying customers that matter--not the units shown to reviewers and used by the Apple executive team. and Apple has been sliding at an alarming rate in this area.

I used to think it was the complainers. The vocal few. But as a guy who buys two new Macs a year, every new iPod, and runs a company which buys about 20 Macs a month, you can see the change in the past 18 - 24 months. It's startling.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here. Phones are too important--safety, etc.--for Apple to screw this up. Yes, the hot macbooks, uneven screen quality, bad builds, etc., even in the revised C2D line are annoying and frustrating. But a phone is a different matter.

Pul it together Apple.

nukiduz
Dec 3, 2006, 05:27 PM
AAARGHH!

How can people watch that video? Smug drunk people not knowing where Denmark is... I had to switch off.

yeah... i turned it off too. i can't stand the guy in the left.

oh and his notebook sucks.

Jay42
Dec 3, 2006, 05:37 PM
AAARGHH!

You may not like Kevin and Alex, especially those in the older crowd, but you can't complain about Kevin's connections. ;)

Donz0r
Dec 3, 2006, 05:38 PM

Nano prices: 2gb-150 , 4gb-200, 8gb-250

They're not the same price...

I'm regretting buying an 8gb nano now.

koobcamuk
Dec 3, 2006, 05:45 PM
Americans are so far behind with mobile (cellular) phones that Apple will have to do really well to make an impression on the UK market and also any other markets outside of America.

Lots of people buy SIM free phones in England and sell the free ones that come with a contract. We have phones with 3MP cameras, really thin and aren't into flip phones (apart from RAZR) that much. Candy bar style like Sony and Nokia are more traditional in this country.

Saying that, I will get one as I am a sucker for all Apple.

iKitten
Dec 3, 2006, 05:46 PM
And I was just bidding on a new K800i today. I hope I get outbid!

WildPalms
Dec 3, 2006, 05:57 PM

Chundles....are you on vacation at the moment? How long for? Hope you enjoy our country while you are here. :) You usually reside in Australia in The Gong if memory serves me.

eyemacg5
Dec 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
It should also have a built in projector of some sort :)

WildPalms
Dec 3, 2006, 06:00 PM

Ahh yes, the laser projectors they have show in prototypes. That would be cool :cool:

Chundles
Dec 3, 2006, 06:03 PM
Chundles....are you on vacation at the moment? How long for? Hope you enjoy our country while you are here. :) You usually reside in Australia in The Gong if memory serves me.

No, I'm in the Gong right now.

My location is all part of something I can't tell you.

And maybe there are more people in the US using CDMA, who cares? There are more people outside the US who are NOT using CDMA, Apple should make this phone globally appealing not just something for the US consumers.

Digitaljim
Dec 3, 2006, 06:16 PM

http://www.trashbat.co.ck/t12/

Could this be the iPhone? It's shark proof.

asphalt-proof
Dec 3, 2006, 06:24 PM

My concern as well. My Treo is built like a Soviet-era tank (bug, bulky, prone to shutting down, and can kill Nazi just by throwing it). I have dropped it more times than I care to think about. Each time it turns the cell radio off but boots right back when I press the button. My iPod, on the other hand, has never been dropped from a height of 18" and at that height, only 2 times. I think I have dropped my infant son more times than that.:p

eyemacg5
Dec 3, 2006, 06:35 PM
http://www.trashbat.co.ck/t12/

Could this be the iPhone? It's shark proof.

how the hell did (s)he get that domain?

SeaFox
Dec 3, 2006, 06:43 PM

Was that while he worked at the Department of Redundancies Dept?

Digitaljim
Dec 3, 2006, 06:47 PM
how the hell did (s)he get that domain?

I think it's the Cook Isles or something. Don't quote me on that though.

SeaFox
Dec 3, 2006, 06:51 PM

How likely is that to happen?

For a more plausible issue:

I spent all morning rocking out on my iPhone and now I can't call my parents for a ride home from the mall.

A phone can run for 5 days in standby. A music player generally gets less than 12 hours out of a cell phone battery.

tsvb
Dec 3, 2006, 07:10 PM
All this speculation. All I can say is that I hope it is available for all the big wireless companies so everyone can enjoy it!

Mammoth
Dec 3, 2006, 07:13 PM
Do you think we can expect a camera as well?:)

Any phone by such a high end manufacturer would be a joke. I think it's safe to say it will have at least 1.3MP and probably 2+.

timmillwood
Dec 3, 2006, 07:21 PM
I cant wait to see what this is like, i hope that it is a nano and windows mobile killer, because that is what i want.

I would like a small stable smartphone and an iPod nano all in one unit.

I hope for:

Large resolution screen (min 240x320)
keypad or keybord, & touch screen
camera (anything will do, just enough for mms & email)
a few GB memory, about 4gb seems right
IM (Instant Messaging) all my friends are on MSN
Mac syncing

anything anyone want to add?

peharri
Dec 3, 2006, 07:30 PM
Other than the "All providers" thing, the specs and pricing looks plausable (the business model doesn't, I've said that before, but Apple is not incapable of getting so excited about something that it's able to miss the problems with it.)

Adding GSM functionality to an existing device that otherwise has all the hardware you need shouldn't cost more than $50, using commodity components. I'm sure Qualcomm, despite the dying nature of cdmaOne/CDMA2000, is still eager to sell chips that implement that standard for less than $50 too. I'm thinking that if they're aiming at all providers (including the ones that make it hard to activate unbranded phones...), they'll make a CDMA2000 version and a GSM version.

If you doubt this, Motorola and Nokia both have GSM phones that sell for less than $50 retail. They're aimed at developing markets and certain prepaid operators.

I don't think this will be 3G. There's no call for it in the US, the only 3G standard in the US that's widely implemented is CDMA2000, and that will be Apple's primary market. UMTS is coming next year (yes, I know it's available in a handful of selected markets, on non-standard frequencies. Who cares.) For now, GSM is fine.

I think it's a bad idea of Apple to do this, but that's what it looks like they're doing. At least, on the positive side, we'll see some new ideas and additional nice phones (probably) in the market.

ezekielrage_99
Dec 3, 2006, 07:43 PM

And maybe there are more people in the US using CDMA, who cares? There are more people outside the US who are NOT using CDMA, Apple should make this phone globally appealing not just something for the US consumers.

I'm betting if the iPhone is released it wont be sold outside the US for at least 12 months.

I'm still not sold on the idea that the iPhone will ever be released, too many rumors and not enough REAL evidence.

Still if we see an iPhone in January I wont complain and all probability I will been buy one.

Stella
Dec 3, 2006, 07:56 PM
Get a Nokia E70 smartphone. Does all of what you listed.

I cant wait to see what this is like, i hope that it is a nano and windows mobile killer, because that is what i want.

I would like a small stable smartphone and an iPod nano all in one unit.

I hope for:

Large resolution screen (min 240x320)
keypad or keybord, & touch screen
camera (anything will do, just enough for mms & email)
a few GB memory, about 4gb seems right
IM (Instant Messaging) all my friends are on MSN
Mac syncing

anything anyone want to add?

ro2nie
Dec 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In the latest episode of Diggnation (http://revision3.com/diggnation/2006-11-30), Kevin Rose (at ~38:30) claims to know some details about the Apple phone from a "solid" source.

According to Rose, little bit of inside info on the Apple phone:

- Going to be coming out in January
- All phone providers
- "It's small as *****"
- Doing some unique things
- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.
- 4GB ($249) and 8GB ($449)
- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard
- Maybe touch screen?

Kevin Rose was co-host of The Screen Savers on Tech TV and later started Digg.com (http://www.digg.com). Last year, he offered last minute rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/01/20060110081233.shtml) prior to Macworld San Francisco which turned out to be accurate.

How small is a sh**t?. Mine tend to be very big, so I am a bit confused here.
Would be nice if we knew the dimensions of it :D

Stella
Dec 3, 2006, 07:58 PM
The E62 lacks WIFI. Its a different model to the E61.

Why anyone would get a E62 instead of an E61 is beyond me. Pay the extra for an unlocked E61.

i would love it if apple could pull this off.

alot of the phones sold by rogers in canada, and cingular in the U.S. are neutered. for example, the nokia e61 sold in europe had wifi, while at the north american carriers's request, they had the wi-fi feature removed. why? so they could make more money on data. wifi would be a definite advatage over bberries and moto qs and moto e's being sold currently in N.A.

it will be interesting to see how this phone will be marketed...

if the phone is 'unlocked', we are going to see alot of carriers not offering support for technical issues. in europe, and the middle east, people buy phones from thirs party retailers; this is in stark contrast to north america, where most phones are bought from the provider directly, and are usually bundled into a contract...

someone else brought up 3G. GSM carriers in north america are just beginning to roll out 3G (3.5G actually) on a national level. what kind of specs are we going to see? quad band is a given, but will it be North American 3G (UMTS 850/1900) or European Spec (UMTS 1900/2100) [NOTE: my knowloedge of this is a bit patchy, so someone please correct me if im wrong)... there is a difference between european and north american 'Third Generation'. Or will it be 2G with plain jane 850/900/1800/1900? that'd be kind of lame...

bigandy
Dec 3, 2006, 08:29 PM
Get a Nokia E70 smartphone. Does all of what you listed.
except it's a Nokia :rolleyes:

The E62 lacks WIFI. Its a different model to the E61.

Why anyone would get a E62 instead of an E61 is beyond me. Pay the extra for an unlocked E61.
Except they're Nokias too :rolleyes:

People aren't in this thread for advice on which Nokia to buy, they're here discussing a potential iPhone - and what they'd like to see it do.

I don't think telling them to get another phone is really constructive.

CEAbiscuit
Dec 3, 2006, 08:31 PM

Verizon and Alltel in the States both use CDMA. Two of the largest Tier 1 carriers in the US. Again, again I question the rumor because of it's claim that the phone will work on all carriers.

NM: Everybody has already stated it. Alas...

Mtn Tamale
Dec 3, 2006, 08:40 PM
I build networks for these guys for a living. That is bogus info. If anything, GSM has the slight lead in efficiency expressed as coverage per tower. However, Verizon have had a better business plan with sharper guys for a lot longer. Cingular is still a kluge, and it is way more expensive to fix their disparate networks now than it was for Verizon over the last 10 years of acquisitions. That is why Verizon is better in general.

reykjavik
Dec 3, 2006, 08:42 PM
Seriously, this sucks.

I could not agree more. Like Apple pushed Bluetooth, they should be pushing a new technology like wifi phone service. Who needs yet another cell phone which does everything but nothing right all at the same time? If Apple comes out with just another cell phone it'll be just another outdated product a month later like any LG or Moto phone.

And I also take issue with the "all providers" comment. Does this mean it will be GSM and CDMA? So Verizon would be totally cool allowing a phone on its airwaves which competes with its own music store (directly or indirectly)??? I find that very hard to believe. Verizon doesn't ever do anything that doesn't equate to instant massive rip-off profits. Allowing Apple to sell their own phone which competes with Verizons does not fit that equation. Kevin Rose is wrong. Sorry people.

reykjavik
Dec 3, 2006, 08:49 PM
Lots of people buy SIM free phones in England and sell the free ones that come with a contract. We have phones with 3MP cameras, really thin and aren't into flip phones (apart from RAZR) that much. Candy bar style like Sony and Nokia are more traditional in this country.

yeah...and I'd give all that up to not pay a VAT so suck it.

aswitcher
Dec 3, 2006, 08:54 PM
Heres hoping its true +

- Bluetooth for wireless headphone/mike set
- 2+ megapixel camera
- sync
- GPS...
- comes in black

iMikeT
Dec 3, 2006, 09:11 PM
Please, stop teasing me!

borisadmin
Dec 3, 2006, 09:27 PM
I think by "all providers" he just means "unlocked". There is no way Apple supports CDMA and GSM in a single device.

As per the poster earlier, unlocked CDMA phone is a pain in the ass to activate on the network, whereas GSM is a no-brainer. Important interface distinction here, Apple will not be afraid to go with a smaller, more open, easierr-to-use platform.

In particular: anyone who travels to Europe or SE Asia a lot (i.e. those with money who aren't afraid to spend it, Apple's core market) uses GSM. I'd be shocked if they went CDMA. This is nothing to do with the technology, but about market niche. GSM people are Apple people (richer urban cosmopolitans) by and large.

Apple were burnt by the motorola association and they now understand that they have to control the ecosystem. I would be surprised if they do any deals with network operators, especially those that place stupid restrictions on device usage and content mobility. They will make this product a success and dare the NOs not to support it.

Remember that the ipod started out expensive then they went to a broader mass market later. Apple won't start on the cheap side of things. They will make a low-volume product that people will drool over and say "I wish I could afford that. Well, maybe my credit card can handle it...". These are the people who sell black macbooks to suckers like me who care about design.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a camera for the same reason the camera is now included in the macbook line. Personal imaging is part of the apple experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see iChat AV style videoconf over 3G.

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Good rumour, and totally disagree with the poster who claims that there's no business model for apple. There's no business model if you think about it as a phone in the way phones are sold in the US. If you think about it as an expensive piece of hardware in a sector crying out for user interface improvements, it replicates the ipod situation pretty well.

donlphi
Dec 3, 2006, 09:31 PM

The 80 GB Video iPOD went down in price from the original 60 GB video iPOD. More storage and less cost. Never say never.

:cool:

Mgkwho
Dec 3, 2006, 09:33 PM
who says iPOD with all caps?

-=|Mgkwho

backsidetailsli
Dec 3, 2006, 09:40 PM
coool i cant wait!

BWhaler
Dec 3, 2006, 09:40 PM
How small is a sh**t?. Mine tend to be very big, so I am a bit confused here.
Would be nice if we knew the dimensions of it :D

Post of the day. Man, that is some funny sh-- uh, nevermind.

joeshell383
Dec 3, 2006, 09:42 PM

What an ignorant comment. The U.S., obviously, is key to Apple. Ignoring the majority of cell subscribers here would not be smart. My guess is a CDMA version and a GSM version, nothing new. Most phone manufacturers make two versions of U.S. phones.

Stella
Dec 3, 2006, 09:44 PM
Nothing wrong with nokia :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was making a SUGGESTION - IF YOU WANTED A PHONE THAT HAS ALL THE FEATURES THAT WAS LISTED, THEN CONSIDER THE NOKIA E-SERIES!!!

i don't think your girlie bitchy comment contributed towards this discussion, either.

Personally I think an Apple phone will be too basic to be usable - a la iWeb.

except it's a Nokia :rolleyes:

Except they're Nokias too :rolleyes:

People aren't in this thread for advice on which Nokia to buy, they're here discussing a potential iPhone - and what they'd like to see it do.

I don't think telling them to get another phone is really constructive.

rtharper
Dec 3, 2006, 09:45 PM
What an ignorant comment. The U.S., obviously, is key to Apple. Ignoring the majority of cell subscribers here would not be smart. My guess is a CDMA version and a GSM version, nothing new. Most phone manufacturers make two versions of U.S. phones.

Yeah, I'm unclear about why people think that they would need one phone for both techs. Nearly all phones in the US have two versions, including most Nokia and Motorola phones.

Iverieli
Dec 3, 2006, 10:01 PM
counting days, hours, seconds..... :D

Its possible to apple make iphone different models for USA and Europe, I meant different models for CDMA and GSM networks. There's coming new handsets in UK with high speed broadband connections and apple has to do same thing. I hope thats happens.

dolbinau
Dec 3, 2006, 10:04 PM
What are my chances of using one of these phones on an Australian Prepaid carrier (such as Optus)? Is it as simple as plug in and go?

WildPalms
Dec 3, 2006, 10:05 PM

Ahh ok, I noticed your location is set wrong - Annapolis, MD *wink wink* (very cloak and dagger, very clever ;) :p )

Not sure where your CDMA comment came from....but you know what? A company can make a product to suit whatever region it cares to. I'm glad its CDMA and couldnt care any less about countries outside the US :D

flukewurm
Dec 3, 2006, 10:06 PM
aw **** kevin. you've really gone and done it now.

Yonizzle
Dec 3, 2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I'm unclear about why people think that they would need one phone for both techs. Nearly all phones in the US have two versions, including most Nokia and Motorola phones.

Yeah, I've been assssuming that's what Kevin Rose meant in making the "all networks" comment: that for any provider, you could get an iPhone to work with it, but not that there'd be a single model for all network techs. The comment seems compatible with either scenario, but the former is far more likely given how few combined GSM/CDMA devices exist.

I do think it's likely they'd roll out the GSM model first, then see if reviews and market reaction dictate any changes before ramping up production on the CDMA model.

Chundles
Dec 3, 2006, 10:07 PM
What are my chances of using one of these phones on an Australian Prepaid carrier (such as Optus)? Is it as simple as plug in and go?

If it's fully unlocked it should work just fine, you'd buy the phone and get one of those cheap $2 SIM cards and away you go. Where you'd run into problems is if Apple country-lock the phone (which I doubt) - I got a phone in Canada and managed to unlock the carrier but not the country so it doesn't work very well here in Australia.

Hopefully it'll work on all common frequencies.

WildPalms
Dec 3, 2006, 10:08 PM

He's an ignorant guy ;)

Chundles
Dec 3, 2006, 10:09 PM
Ahh ok, I noticed your location is set wrong - Annapolis, MD *wink wink* (very cloak and dagger, very clever ;) :p )

Not sure where your CDMA comment came from....but you know what? A company can make a product to suit whatever region it cares to. I'm glad its CDMA and couldnt care any less about countries outside the US :D

Yeah, and I don't give a rat's about what tech requirements exist for the US market.
Seriously. I couldn't care less. ;-)

CHROMEDOME
Dec 3, 2006, 10:13 PM
Nothing wrong with nokia :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was making a SUGGESTION - IF YOU WANTED A PHONE THAT HAS ALL THE FEATURES THAT WAS LISTED, THEN CONSIDER THE NOKIA E-SERIES!!!

i don't think your girlie bitchy comment contributed towards this discussion, either.

Personally I think an Apple phone will be too basic to be usable - a la iWeb.

I agree, the last 2 phones I've had have been Nokia and I don't want to get anything else, I want an E series phone so bad but they are super expensive.

I think that an apple phone would be great and for sure there will be some cool features but apple doesn't have a track record with phones so ill stick with nokia.:)

rtdunham
Dec 3, 2006, 10:13 PM
what really strikes me most, though, is the concept of two batteries with one charger.

i'm not sure it is such a good idea. Consider: With two batteries, neither can be as powerful as a single battery occupying the same space as the two. So the user loses the ability to manage his device as he/she chooses: depending on where you are, who you're with, what you're doing, i can imagine there'd be times when you'd just want to max the mp3 life...when you're somewhere there's a landline, or you just don't want to receive calls, whatever. Similarly, there'd be times a user would long for the maximum life with the phone--a busy business day, a travel emergency, whatever. In each of these scenarios, the user's at the mercy of the device--he/she will have approx half the batt life max for EACH of the two functions. I'd rather be in control of matters like that.

sartinsauce
Dec 3, 2006, 10:34 PM
With all the current craze and MWSF just around the corner, it's time we started seeing some good fakes...

Like that 16x9 full screen iPod in the factory with the chinese writing on the connector. That one totally faked me out! I bought it. Hook, line and sinker. (Apologies for the mixed metaphors)

Okay, now those of you firing up you digital cameras and launching photoshop, remember, if it isn't in an elevator it isn't quite right.

ampd
Dec 3, 2006, 10:46 PM
good thing my contract is up in January and I get a new phone. Gonna have to keep my eyes out for this one...

Rocketman
Dec 3, 2006, 10:48 PM
Besides the "selling feature" of two batteries, it is probably a function of the phone having two segments, the display segment and the keyboard segment. Hence two battery "available" spaces.

Kinda like the Shuffle with active ingredients in both parts.

Rocketman

LastZion
Dec 3, 2006, 10:50 PM

maybe there will be another version of it with a camera... like one of the other models

shrimpdesign
Dec 3, 2006, 11:11 PM
Apple, and Steve, need to remember it's the quality that ends-up in the hands of the paying customers that matter--not the units shown to reviewers and used by the Apple executive team. and Apple has been sliding at an alarming rate in this area.

I used to think it was the complainers. The vocal few. But as a guy who buys two new Macs a year, every new iPod, and runs a company which buys about 20 Macs a month, you can see the change in the past 18 - 24 months. It's startling.

Pul it together Apple.

Apple's overall quality hasn't declined. They had tons of problems with the MacBooks and MacBookPros because they they had to stuff a completely new system architecture and chipset in tiny latptops. That caused problems, but Apple has been good about replacing those machines, and working on fixing them overall ... I got a first generation Intel iMac, it runs fine. No problems for months and months.

I recently got a new iPod Shuffle as well. No problems with it either.

I'll admit the notebooks have had a lot of problems. I know 3 people who got MacBookPros; they have all had to send them back to be fixed.

Of course, I can't just rely completely on my personal expirience. But there have been no news stories about faulty 5.5G iPods, 2G Nanos, 1G Shuffles, Intel iMacs, Intel Xserves or Mac Pros. There's not a real problem with Apple's quality control, so please don't spread that kind of ridicule about Apple when it's not true.

kerbawya
Dec 3, 2006, 11:20 PM
$100 price difference? I thought it was only $50.. and everyone I know who bought a nano bought the 8GB one.

Unfortunately I have worked at Best Buy since the new Nanos were released and the 8GB black hasn't sold for poo. So your friends may have bought a couple, but consumers don't get it.

spicyapple
Dec 3, 2006, 11:23 PM
Apple's iPhone patent, http://www.myiphone.com/apple-iphone-patent-3068.php

http://www.myiphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/ip1bb.jpg
http://www.myiphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/apple-patent-061130-zar-1.jpg

shrimpdesign
Dec 3, 2006, 11:31 PM
With all the current craze and MWSF just around the corner, it's time we started seeing some good fakes...

Like that 16x9 full screen iPod in the factory with the chinese writing on the connector.

Yeah I really miss 1,000+ people asking "wHAt DO thOSe CinEZE leters mean?!"

tech4all
Dec 3, 2006, 11:42 PM
<pic>
<pic>

That click wheel and two buttons look like Mickey ears (although the ears are a little small). Well Steve is on the Disney board of directors, right? Maybe there's a connection? ;)

Diatribe
Dec 3, 2006, 11:44 PM

Pic
Pic

Damn. Where do I pay? :D

Kingsly
Dec 3, 2006, 11:46 PM
Seriously this sounds really cool, the 2 battery idea is excellent, at first I thought it was a bit silly but now it sounds better, it would be cool though if you can adjust the balance between the two halves, so if you use the phone a lot you can set it to be 90% phone 10% iPod and vice versa.

"Captain! we need to divert more power to the shields!"

Why not one big battery that has a software controller to divert power properly? The extra space taken up by two batteries, two latches, two voltage regulators, two power circuits, two battery terminals, etc. just doesn't make sense.

dscottbuch
Dec 3, 2006, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately I have worked at Best Buy since the new Nanos were released and the 8GB black hasn't sold for poo. So your friends may have bought a couple, but consumers don't get it.

Wish I could sell that kind of poo:confused:

8GB non is 20th on the Amazon electronics:) :)

Maybe its Best Buy clientel that don't get it :D :D

DCCowan
Dec 4, 2006, 12:16 AM
Anyone seen this??

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3168733759916419298&q=iPhone&hl=en

twoodcc
Dec 4, 2006, 12:28 AM
Anyone seen this??

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3168733759916419298&q=iPhone&hl=en

ok, that's only a year and half old....

seriously though, it's been posted several times

chasemac
Dec 4, 2006, 12:36 AM
Well, I think Apple will come out with a great phone. I just hope they don't price it out of contention.

chasemac

arn
Dec 4, 2006, 12:59 AM
Apple's iPhone patent,
http://www.myiphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/ip1bb.jpg

This is not from the patent. It's a mock up.

The patent just shows an iPod mini.

arn

chasemac
Dec 4, 2006, 01:01 AM
This is not from the patent. It's a mock up.

The patent just shows an iPod mini.

arn

You think?:)

arn
Dec 4, 2006, 01:05 AM
You think?:)

You overestimate people. :)

arn

chasemac
Dec 4, 2006, 01:17 AM
You overestimate people. :)

arn

Yeah, my sources tell me it fits in your hear and talks for you.:)

carduser22
Dec 4, 2006, 01:19 AM
If indeed this rumor is true, it sounds like a nice package...i guess.
We don't know exactly what it will include, until it happens we are left in the dark.

I like the idea of having 2 batteries, it's like a given for a combo device. But what if you lose/forget your charger? It would be nice if there is some feature on the phone where you could transfer the power from the extra battery (the iTunes) to the regular phone if you were really in a fix and needed the phone function ONLY. To be able to use the battery from the iTunes part to "save" you in an emergency (where your regular phone battery dies), and working this way only would be a very handy feature! I don't think they should do it the other way around also, bad idea.

While I think the phone (if it comes out) will include some type of messaging feature, I don't know that it will include mobile iChat. That would be a very good feature! I would pay whatever price I need to to get this phone then.

I think Apple would just be testing the waters to see how well the iPhone (cool name) does before we see a mobile iChat phone. Or maybe we'll only see that whenever (if) iChat is ported to Windows? I just want to see it, NOW!

On the other hand, the Japanese (or some other country) has mobile videoconferencing on their phones, why can't we in America?

andrewag
Dec 4, 2006, 02:08 AM
If Kevin Rose said it, it must be right. *rolls eyes*