PDA

View Full Version : Peter Griffin: Toys for the girls hit the gadget market

MacBytes
Dec 3, 2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Peter Griffin: Toys for the girls hit the gadget market (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061203102102)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

shadowfax
Dec 3, 2006, 10:11 AM
For some reason, I was expecting a tie-in to Family Guy. That was disappointing. Really, I was leery of something kind of dirty or peculiar.

I guess it kind of was that, though--I mean, the guy couldn't seem to decide whether he wanted to write about how technology was empowering women, or just make belittling, sarcastic remarks about them.

combatcolin
Dec 4, 2006, 09:51 AM
To adlib and quote a famous American car maker:-

"Any colour you want as long as its girly pink"

LastZion
Dec 4, 2006, 09:53 AM
For some reason, I was expecting a tie-in to Family Guy. That was disappointing. Really, I was leery of something kind of dirty or peculiar.

I guess it kind of was that, though--I mean, the guy couldn't seem to decide whether he wanted to write about how technology was empowering women, or just make belittling, sarcastic remarks about them.

I feel the exact same way

puckhead193
Dec 4, 2006, 11:17 AM
I feel the exact same way

me 3 - only reason why i clicked the link :o

Markleshark
Dec 4, 2006, 11:18 AM

Ditto

RedTomato
Dec 4, 2006, 01:33 PM
That's one of the most lame articles I've ever read. Condescending and patronizing!

This article is an insult to all the amazing women in the sciences and computer sciences who made many fundamental discoveries. Here's a few of them to joy your memories. All have pages on Wikipedia.

- Ada Byron: Worlds first programmer on Charles Babbage's computer.

- Val Tereshkova: Cosmonaut, Hero of Russia, Crater named for her on the moon.

- Grace Hopper: Inventor of the Mark 1 Calculator; COBOL; really found the first computer "bug"

- Rosalind Franklin: Expert in DNA and crystallography; probably should have received the DNA Nobel prize instead of Watson and Crick

- Marie Curie: Won TWO Nobel Prizes discovered Radium & Polonium.

- Mary Shelley: Author of Frankenstein the archetypal geek gone mad story.

- Hedy Lamarr : Inventer of frequency-hopped spread spectrum communications, now used in almost all modern wireless communications

- Maria Mayer: Nobel Prize in Physics. Determined the "shell" structure of the atom.

- Jewel Cobb:Studied the effects of chemotherapy on non-cancerous cells. Received 41 honorary doctorates.

- Evelyn Granville:Second woman in the USA to receive a PhD in mathematics. Worked for IBM on the team that developed the formulation of orbit computations and computer procedures for NASA.

- Sophie Germain: Math geek - even has a type of prime number named after her. Had to use a psedonym because women weren't supposed to be mathematicians back then.

- Ellen Hancock: IBM lead programmer in the mid 60s, then led the network team [SNA, Token Ring under her watch] first woman Senior VP at IBM)

- Kim Polese: Product Manager of original java team, co-founder of Marimba.

Almost all these women were pushing big iron long before the article writer was even out of short trousers.

WICK3D
Dec 4, 2006, 01:42 PM

LOL, I was thinking the same

Dec 4, 2006, 02:16 PM
Women, in general, have different tastes than men do.

Sure there are exceptions to the rule. You'll find women driving in monster 4x4 trucks or muscle cars, and you'll find men driving late model VW Beatles.

But generally, it's the other way around.

Look at some of the womens magazines for gods sake.. especially the ones geared twards the 18 to 34 year olds.. then look at the magazines geared twards males in that age group.

You suppose they stay in business by publishing stuff that DOESN'T appeal to their target audience?

In my experience, the Macs sleek lines and designs appeal to a far wider range of women than men. Most men don't buy a car, or a computer, or a phone, or clothes, or shoes, or anything else because it's 'cute' or 'fun'.

Show me a guy who points at another guys shirt and says, "Oh! That's a fun top!" and i'll show you a guy either highly secure in his masculinity, or flamboyantly homosexual.

Either way.. not indicative of your average male.

And yes. An awful lot of women buy an awful lot of pink things.

So you can break this guys balls for calling it the way he sees it, but it's kind of silly to shoot the messenger.

Dec 4, 2006, 02:22 PM
Oh.. and by the way.. technology doesn't empower anybody.. it simply enslaves us.

Think the Amish were running around in a frenzy to make sure their horse and buggy were Y2K compliant?

Think they go into hysterics when their cable modem dies, or spend countless hours debating the merits of MacOS over Windows?

Think their work day is blown to hell when the server crashes, or there is a power outage?

Nor do they spend their hard earned money on things like electricity, cell, internet, or cable bills.

Live a week without electricity and see how 'empowered' technology has made you.

winmacguy
Dec 5, 2006, 03:24 AM

you can email him here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/author/email.cfm?a_id=18&objectid=10413580

Ish
Dec 5, 2006, 04:15 AM
Women, in general, have different tastes than men do.
. . .
And yes. An awful lot of women buy an awful lot of pink things.

So you can break this guys balls for calling it the way he sees it, but it's kind of silly to shoot the messenger.

Let's find out. MR female contributors must be living in a tech world. How many would prefer their gadgets in pink?

MacRumorUser
Dec 5, 2006, 04:36 AM
Ditto

Ditto Titto oh yeah, in a Quagmire tone...

FleurDuMal
Dec 5, 2006, 04:53 AM
What? Nothing to do with Family Guy?

What a freakin' disappointment.

winmacguy
Dec 5, 2006, 11:30 AM
What? Nothing to do with Family Guy?

What a freakin' disappointment.

Hey guys this is Peter Griffin from the New Zealand Herald get over it :rolleyes: