PDA

View Full Version : NVidia Graphics Chip for Next Generation Video iPod Delayed?

MacRumors
Dec 4, 2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

EETimes reports (http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600513) on comments by Satya Chillara, an analyst with Pacific Growth Equities LLC about NVidia's role in Apple's "next-generation video iPod line".

This same analyst originally reported in July (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/07/20060718175754.shtml) that NVidia had edged out Broadcom for the contract to supply Apple with the graphics chip for their next-generation Video iPod.

This new report now claims that NVidia has delayed the upcoming Video iPod graphics chip which was originally scheduled to tape out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape-out) in the 1st quarter of 2007. Instead, the chip tape-out has been pushed to Q2 or Q3 of 2007. While the article comments about the negative impact this may have on NVidia financially, it is unclear how this affects Apple's plans for their next generation video iPod.

Rumors of a full-screen Video iPod have been persistent since early 2006 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/02/20060209095419.shtml) with increasing evidence (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061026073133.shtml) that Apple is indeed working on such a project.

timmillwood
Dec 4, 2006, 10:51 AM
well i guess we wont see this jan then

epicwelshman
Dec 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
That sucks... I'm all ready to buy a real video iPod (if one exists) as soon as it comes out. Well, gives me more time to save up!

atari1356
Dec 4, 2006, 10:55 AM
Guess I'll keep using my 1st gen 5Gb iPod. :p

(and shuffle)

miketcool
Dec 4, 2006, 10:56 AM
I guess Apple will finally get something decent out of that "Intel/ATI" relationship it has had for a few years.

lmalave
Dec 4, 2006, 10:59 AM
Meh. I could care less about "Video iPod".

Just gimme the iPhone!!!!!!! :D

failsafe1
Dec 4, 2006, 10:59 AM
Bummer on the delay. The iPhone rumors may have to fill the void. Hope we get both of them soon. Just as interesting to me is the use of quaint retro terms like tape out.

Mgkwho
Dec 4, 2006, 11:00 AM
The fiscal quarter 2007 ends Jan. 1st, right?

So therefore, the 2nd quarter could be referring to MacWorld.

Unless they're not referring to fiscal quarters. (Which arn points out they are. Whoops).

-=|Mgkwho

4np
Dec 4, 2006, 11:01 AM
bummer... we have been waiting for this thing for over a year already... :(

arn
Dec 4, 2006, 11:01 AM
You people do realize that fiscal quarter 2007 ends Jan. 1st, right?

Unless they're not referring to fiscal quarters.

-=|Mgkwho

The article specifies Calendar Year quarters.

arn

Chris Bangle
Dec 4, 2006, 11:02 AM
seems like im gonna have to buy itv then

darwen
Dec 4, 2006, 11:08 AM
I do not think anyone was seriously expecting new ipods, iphone, and itv in January (along with our OS preview). This just further confirms the latter choices.

It is not really a loss. If steve really wanted to release everything together he would find a way.

rubberduck007
Dec 4, 2006, 11:09 AM

NTL/Telewest/Virgin are trying to buy itv... oh, not that itv, but iTV..... isee... lol

spicyapple
Dec 4, 2006, 11:10 AM
agreed. this news is terrible. if i cant have a video ipod, im gonna buy a 60" lcd tv instead. :)

hvfsl
:mad: I was really looking forward to getting one too.

Well if they release a version of iDVD that can create HD-DVDs/BluRay movies (maybe even allow you to burn them to DL DVD), then I guess I will be happy.

Mgkwho
I do not think anyone was seriously expecting ... itv in January ...

I'm pretty sure almost everyone is expecting iTV at MacWorld. Or am I misreading your post?

-=|Mgkwho

chaski
Dec 4, 2006, 11:11 AM
1. Could it be that Apple will be purchasing elsewhere?

2. Could it be more than a coincidence that Apple has waited to introduce a fairly radical new iPod (or iPod-like devise), until M$ rolled out the Zune, which is meant to be competitive with the current iPods?

By waiting until after Christmas, Apple loses the Christmas business, but they seem to be doing quite well, anyway. With a big splash at MacWorld, Apple could position themselves nicely for the next year or two, and cut the legs out from under M$.

darwen
Dec 4, 2006, 11:12 AM
I'm pretty sure almost everyone is expecting iTV at MacWorld.

-=|Mgkwho

ok. If you spin my sentence like that then you are right, I do sound like an idiot. That is not what I said though, I was claiming a release of all three products together, not just one by itself.

Mgkwho
Dec 4, 2006, 11:16 AM
Haha, okay, thanks- that does clear it up.

-=|Mgkwho

freeny
Dec 4, 2006, 11:20 AM
Oh well. Guess its the iPhone for now...

althought this could all be a rumor...:rolleyes:

hob
Dec 4, 2006, 11:25 AM
I don't thing Steve will be too impressed with NVIDIA making him wait...

So perhaps that's their last iPod contract...

thejadedmonkey
Dec 4, 2006, 11:25 AM
Good. I was going to go broke getting a 12" Laptop, iPod video, and iPhone all at once!

Play Ultimate
Dec 4, 2006, 11:26 AM
Crash...there goes Apple's stock

twoodcc
Dec 4, 2006, 11:31 AM
well i guess we wont see this jan then

yeah,it's looking that way. bummer, but hopefully it'll be out soon thereafter

gugy
Dec 4, 2006, 11:35 AM
Dam!
Apple should drop NVidia.
It seems now the widescreen iPod only at WWDC.:mad:

bigandy
Dec 4, 2006, 11:35 AM
i still don't believe it'll happen within a year. :rolleyes:

ChrisA
Dec 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
Why does anyone here really care which chip Apple puts in their iPod? So the Nvidia chips is not ready and Apple uses something else. Why would we care? How many of use know or care what chips are inside our current iPod?

You can be certain that Apple has a time line for releasing this product and built into that time line would be some decision points where they need to select a vendor source some parts. I would assume that Apple keeps options open until they reach the time where they have to choose. What this delay does is reduce Apple's options or even force then to stay wih their current vendors. If Apple's management is doing their job this should not effect the time the new iPod is released

dashiel
Dec 4, 2006, 11:44 AM
calm down guys.

a) we're talking about an analyst -- we all know how accurate they are

b) we're talking about an initial statement, by said analyst, that has not been confirmed by apple or nvidia. at least as far as i know.

"Based on our analysis, we believe Nvidia is designed into the next-generation vPod socket at the expense of Broadcom," said Satya Chillara, an analyst with American Technology Research Inc. (Greenwich, Conn.), in a new report.

c) we're talking about a follow-up statement that has also not been confirmed by nvidia

At this point, our checks indicate the mobile graphics processor tape out has been pushed to Q2/Q3 of CY:07, from Q1 of CY:07. We think this could cause some instability to Nvidia's revenue momentum for the first half of CY:07.

J Radical
Dec 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
A bit disappointing for Apple I guess. I imagine they would have wanted to bury the Zune & Co. ASAP by beating them to the market with a true video player at an affordable price.

I don't think this is a disaster for the ipod, but it's hard to spin this as positive news. iphone is more important IMO, since thats where the market is going, any delays there would be very bad.

Rojo
Dec 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
I hope the next gen video iPod is delayed as much as possible!

It's going to be something I'll be DYING to have but won't be able to justify paying for (unlike an iPhone). So the longer I have to save up for it, the better. :D

Squonk
Dec 4, 2006, 11:49 AM
Could this be a smoke screen to throw off the rumor mongers? :eek:

Edit: And then introduce it at MWSF to catch us off guard?

ryanw
Dec 4, 2006, 12:04 PM

Unless they're not referring to fiscal quarters. (Which arn points out they are. Whoops).

-=|Mgkwho

Having a chip and having a finished product assembled and delivered doesn't typically happen the same month UNLESS this is a rumor from NVidia. Maybe NVidia is giving apple the upper hand by telling everyone else the chip won't be available till after macworld?

SpaceMagic
Dec 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
The iPod will probably have a better graphics card than my Core2Duo MacBook!

Linito
Dec 4, 2006, 12:25 PM
who cares about a video ipod? :p

now if it were a tablet or a PDA (newton style) :rolleyes:

Clive At Five
Dec 4, 2006, 12:33 PM
Eh.

Oh well.

The video iPod is more of a luxury than anything else. I don't have the *need* to watch TV and Movies on the go. I do, however, listen to tunes at work. So as long and Apple maintains music-player functionality in the iPod, I'll be happy.

Something tells me I'll be happy for a long time.

-Clive

Clive At Five
Dec 4, 2006, 12:39 PM
who cares about a video ipod? :p

now if it were a tablet or a PDA (newton style) :rolleyes:

Let me take a moment to say, "Who cares about a tablet or a PDA?"

Maybe that's what you meant to say with that post... I couldn't tell.

I'd rather have a device that syncs with my computer and plays music than a device that only syncs with my computer and I can write on with an ink-less pen in a pseudo-glyph-based mutation of english.

-Clive

ClimbingTheLog
Dec 4, 2006, 12:58 PM
Apple has always had parts problems with their suppliers. I think Jobs has this well figured out, and the never-ending intel mac ports bear this out.

It would be in both Apple's and Broadcomm's interest to have one guy from each company keeping a back channel going even though nVidia had the contract, given the potential risk/profit involved.

I'd be really surprised if this wasn't the case.

justflie
Dec 4, 2006, 01:13 PM

here's hoping. :rolleyes:

Belly-laughs
Dec 4, 2006, 01:14 PM

This surely gives Steve the dreaded Moto/IBM/PPC Flashback!

Unspeaked
Dec 4, 2006, 02:34 PM

Yes, because Apple PR spends all day thinking of ways to surprise us Apple fan boys...

Antares
Dec 4, 2006, 02:46 PM
This is great news. Now I don't have to spend more money on a new device....well, until a bit later, anyway. This will give me more time to save up. :) What I still don't understand is, why some people are so rushed for Apple to release a true video iPod. This extra time will only give them more opportunity to work out any bugs and perfect the device. Sounds like good news to me. Anyway, why overshadow the iPhone with the true Video iPod? Stagger the launches and whatnot.... :)

kddpop
Dec 4, 2006, 03:02 PM
Oh well. Guess its the iPhone for now...

althought this could all be a rumor...:rolleyes:

two good little points here.
this removes one of the many things crowding the "its definately gotta happen this macworld list."

and also, it is just a rumor. we cannot hold out hope that every one of these rumors will make it too us at once. as pointed out in other threads, there are special events that steve tends to use to unveil some of our current rumors. and as this is one such rumor, it's not a sure thing. and now its less of a sure thing. more room for itv or iphone.

as always, we'll have to actually wait and see.

~kyle

tyson12zoll
Dec 4, 2006, 03:09 PM
My ipod crapped out for the last time this month...im not messing with it anymore either. I was hoping the true video ipod would drive down the cost of the current ones so i could pick one up on the cheap

mmmcheese
Dec 4, 2006, 03:19 PM

-=|Mgkwho

Taped out, and in production are two completely different things...even once it is taped out, there will be quite a few months of development before it's in production.

MacSA
Dec 4, 2006, 03:23 PM
This dedicated Video iPod is starting to sound a bit like that mythical G5 PowerBook.

~Shard~
Dec 4, 2006, 03:47 PM
Can't say I'm in a rush for one of these new iPods as my 3G is still suiting my needs just fine, but it will be nice to see what it's like when it is eventually released - perhaps it will finally make me want to upgrade! ;)

Or perhaps this rumored video iPod is simply one in the same as the rumored iPhone. :p :cool:

~Shard~
Dec 4, 2006, 04:13 PM
This dedicated Video iPod is starting to sound a bit like that mythical G5 PowerBook.

I hear they're coming out next Tuesday.... :cool:

tjcampbell
Dec 4, 2006, 06:37 PM
PSP is my movie machine of choice, so a video iPod is really not that enticing for me. I'm gonna wait for this iPhone and hopefully that will sort me for tunes, calls and email (fingers crossed). That will by next apple purchase for sure. x Tom

ezekielrage_99
Dec 4, 2006, 06:44 PM

Unless it's Nvidia unable to produce enough by the time Apple needs it.

Nvidia's chipsets are far better at the moment than ATi's chipsets and if Apple knows this then they will be happy to wait if it means Apple can release a superior product.

I am still counting on a new cool iPod thing in January to counter Zune's release, we will have a new iPod but I'm not sure what it will be.

ezekielrage_99
Dec 4, 2006, 06:46 PM
I hear they're coming out next Tuesday.... :cool:

Don't knock it, I am going to be buying my G5 PowerBook next tuesday along with my Video iPod and iPhone ;)

Philberttheduck
Dec 4, 2006, 07:06 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to resort to Costco's 80..

This should ruin Apple's plans big time, in the midst of the holiday season. Hopefully Apple is pressuring them to do something about it and get it before Christmas.

iPhone can be delayed til spring and I wouldn't care that much. It's that wait for the 100 or 120GB high end iPod that's killin me.

Stridder44
Dec 4, 2006, 07:11 PM
Don't knock it, I am going to be buying my G5 PowerBook next tuesday ...

I beta tested it. It's sick. I've already said too much though..

ezekielrage_99
Dec 5, 2006, 06:03 AM
I beta tested it. It's sick. I've already said too much though..

Now where's that jealous icon when you need it :confused:

BornAgainMac
Dec 5, 2006, 06:25 AM
What is the definition or requirements of a "true" video iPod? What does the chip need to be able to do from NVidia that something already can do today?

There must be something major besides just playing videos on a slightly bigger screen.

lorien
Dec 5, 2006, 06:48 AM
I'm beginning to think the "Video iPod" never really existed. :(

Now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now you see me, now you don't, now ...

jouster
Dec 7, 2006, 07:23 AM
That sucks... I'm all ready to buy a real video iPod (if one exists) as soon as it comes out.

How is the 5G iPod not a "real video iPod"?