Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EETimes reports on comments by Satya Chillara, an analyst with Pacific Growth Equities LLC about NVidia's role in Apple's "next-generation video iPod line".

This same analyst originally reported in July that NVidia had edged out Broadcom for the contract to supply Apple with the graphics chip for their next-generation Video iPod.

This new report now claims that NVidia has delayed the upcoming Video iPod graphics chip which was originally scheduled to tape out in the 1st quarter of 2007. Instead, the chip tape-out has been pushed to Q2 or Q3 of 2007. While the article comments about the negative impact this may have on NVidia financially, it is unclear how this affects Apple's plans for their next generation video iPod.

Rumors of a full-screen Video iPod have been persistent since early 2006 with increasing evidence that Apple is indeed working on such a project.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
I guess Apple will finally get something decent out of that "Intel/ATI" relationship it has had for a few years.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Bummer on the delay. The iPhone rumors may have to fill the void. Hope we get both of them soon. Just as interesting to me is the use of quaint retro terms like tape out.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
The fiscal quarter 2007 ends Jan. 1st, right?

So therefore, the 2nd quarter could be referring to MacWorld.

Unless they're not referring to fiscal quarters. (Which arn points out they are. Whoops).

-=|Mgkwho

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
You people do realize that fiscal quarter 2007 ends Jan. 1st, right?

So therefore, the 2nd quarter could be referring to MacWorld.

Unless they're not referring to fiscal quarters.

-=|Mgkwho

The article specifies Calendar Year quarters.

arn

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I do not think anyone was seriously expecting new ipods, iphone, and itv in January (along with our OS preview). This just further confirms the latter choices.

It is not really a loss. If steve really wanted to release everything together he would find a way.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
:mad: I was really looking forward to getting one too.

Well if they release a version of iDVD that can create HD-DVDs/BluRay movies (maybe even allow you to burn them to DL DVD), then I guess I will be happy.

chaski

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2002
MA
A little bit off topic, but...

1. Could it be that Apple will be purchasing elsewhere?

2. Could it be more than a coincidence that Apple has waited to introduce a fairly radical new iPod (or iPod-like devise), until M$ rolled out the Zune, which is meant to be competitive with the current iPods?

By waiting until after Christmas, Apple loses the Christmas business, but they seem to be doing quite well, anyway. With a big splash at MacWorld, Apple could position themselves nicely for the next year or two, and cut the legs out from under M$.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I'm pretty sure almost everyone is expecting iTV at MacWorld.

-=|Mgkwho

ok. If you spin my sentence like that then you are right, I do sound like an idiot. That is not what I said though, I was claiming a release of all three products together, not just one by itself.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I don't thing Steve will be too impressed with NVIDIA making him wait...

So perhaps that's their last iPod contract...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.