Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Millwood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
NY/NY
I have some James Bond DVD's that I just bought and i'd like to (legally) put them on my computer as a backup, but i'd also like to try to convert them to HD, or at least a 1280x720 resolution size.
Does anyone know a software app or a way to do this? Does handbrake give me the ability to do this (if so, how do I do it) or is there another program?
Thanks very much for the help!

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I know in Handbrake you can adjust picture size down, but I've never tried to adjust it up, and I have no dvd's to try out at the moment. Click on the picture settings button to get the option to adjust size.

But again, why would you want to do that? You would be losing quality and it would eat your hd space. You can't get better quality than what you have on the dvd which is about 720 x ???, so increasing it will achieve nothing.

I suppose you could try it out and see if it makes any difference, but I'm extermely skeptical as to whether it would.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
No, it's the same as blowing up an image. It'll be bigger, but you can't magically make new pixels to replace the ones you stretch.

Leave them as-is, there's not really any way to make them better quality other than watching them on a better screen and with better processing (a good DVD player + a good TV)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.