Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Is there an application out there that will let me and a couple of friends drop songs (mp3s, wavs etc) into a folder on a 'host machine' that then plays through these songs?

We've found audio players that allow multiple users to control a host machines iTunes player - but we need a way of easily adding new adding songs automatically without actually having to physically add them to the host machines iTunes library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm not sure if there's a specific application for this, but I do have an idea:

You know how to share an iTunes library, right, so that it can play from all the computers involved. The problem is that you cannot easily add songs to the library.

How about this: You do that, plus you create a "drop" folder on your "server." You give an automator action to that folder which causes songs dropped into it to be imported into iTunes and then deleted from the folder.

Would this suit your needs? The automator action should be very easy to make and apply to the folder.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Is there an application out there that will let me and a couple of friends drop songs (mp3s, wavs etc) into a folder on a 'host machine' that then plays through these songs?

We've found audio players that allow multiple users to control a host machines iTunes player - but we need a way of easily adding new adding songs automatically without actually having to physically add them to the host machines iTunes library.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

No expert, but there might be a way to automatically add a song to an itunes library using Folder Actions. I have a folder that converts images to jpegs automagically, so it seems feasible. You need something that says 'when an mp3 is put in this folder, import it to itunes'. Anyone shed any light?

Edit: Doh, beaten to it.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Excellent. Works a treat... Now, any ideas how I can make the action delete the file? (since it has been copied to the iTunes library).

Nice one! Thanks :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Excellent. Works a treat... Now, any ideas how I can make the action delete the file? (since it has been copied to the iTunes library).

Isn't there a Finder action in Automator that does that? Or do you have a problem with the type of object that the add to iTunes outputs that prevents you from putting the delete action at the end of the workstream?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.