PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent p2p


hui__lim
Apr 30, 2003, 08:43 PM
Not sure how many of you people know this but I think its a really nice p2p software.

*******from their webpage*********
"P2P media sharing with BitTorrent

Previously on PlaybackTime I?ve discussed PeerCast and Carnegie Mellon University?s ESM, both peer-to-peer streaming systems.

BitTorrent is an open-source (under the extremely generous MIT license) protocol (its URIs begin with ?torrent://?) for peer-to-peer file sharing rather than peer-to-peer streaming. But as with PeerCast and EMS, the bandwidth burden is intelligently distributed amongst clients. BitTorrent been around for a while, but a much-improved 3.1 version has just been introduced, and recently it?s been gaining momentum as a method for sharing digital media.

BitTorrent clients are available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. | BitTorrent home | BitTorrent development home
************END****************

After downloading it, all you have to do is go to a BitTorrent search engine such as http://episodes-first.cjb.net/ and type in what you what to download. That easy! Mind you, its still in the early stages but its still got loads of good stuff in there like smallville and Friends. It's the best p2p software I've used on the Mac so far. Enjoy!

Kwyjibo
Apr 30, 2003, 08:46 PM
geez i thought i was the only one. Its like tivo for your computer really except u get the epsiodeds 11 hours after you start them. I also use it to download 24 episodes when i leave for school and watch then wehn i get home. I suggest watchen.tv as a search for episodes too.

MrMacMan
Apr 30, 2003, 08:55 PM
um... mind sharing the link the BitTorrent ?

I have found a couple sites but no real 'main' one... thanks.

Kwyjibo
Apr 30, 2003, 09:01 PM
this is one
http://66.51.206.234/
but they keep getting DOS attacked so the site keeps moving.

MrMacMan
Apr 30, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
this is one
http://66.51.206.234/
but they keep getting DOS attacked so the site keeps moving.

which client do you use the 'offical, but outdated?' cause that is the only one I see.

Kwyjibo
Apr 30, 2003, 09:18 PM
i actually run it on the family Pc. I tried other clients soem seem mroe conveinet but they crahs more. I use the barebones one and it has worked for me everyime. outdated or not its fine for me. i also have the mac version but the fact that i use a laptopusually leaves it sleping during the day.

MrMacMan
Apr 30, 2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i actually run it on the family Pc. I tried other clients soem seem mroe conveinet but they crahs more. I use the barebones one and it has worked for me everyime. outdated or not its fine for me. i also have the mac version but the fact that i use a laptopusually leaves it sleping during the day.

rather not use my PC now, it recovering from a crash... :(

edit: sweet jesus, maybe there it like 1 user that has this file because, currently its gonna take forever, but the downloads connect and seem prommising.

edit 2: ohhh nice downloading down 40-60 KB/s, weird tho, I'm only uploading 3-4 KB/s I have a nice upload/download line... hmmm

hui__lim
May 1, 2003, 05:00 AM
Heh, silly me... I forgot to leave the website details. Here it is anyway. To download it for OSX: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html
but the official webpage is http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/ webpage looks kinda dull but the program itself kicks some ass!!

polyesterlester
May 1, 2003, 11:41 AM
I love this program! I've been using it for a few weeks now, and have downloaded several [episodes] It's great p2p.

kumichou
May 1, 2003, 01:00 PM
I use it to get fansubbed anime. It's about the best solution to most of the complaints about P2P file sharing. Though, a friend and I are planning on writing our own bittorrent client for OS X. The current one uses Python along with Obj-C and we think we can come up with a better way to display the data, add more functionality and not use Python. ;)

If anyone uses it for OS X, you might notice that it's a serious CPU hog. Hide it, and utilization goes down to 10-15% which is better than the 40% or so it uses while the download windows are showing.

beatle888
May 1, 2003, 01:09 PM
how do you find trackers? i have no idea how to run this thing. you think they would add some common links to get you started.

Simon Liquid
May 1, 2003, 02:22 PM
Whenever my upload speed approaches the max of about 15 K/s, my ISP cuts my download down to maybe a quarter of it's normal rate. This interferes with both downloading on BitTorrent and regular browsing. Anyone know how I could cap the upload for bit torrent at 10 or 12 K/s?

[Update: found the solution myself]
It's Carrafix and it lets you cap the upload or download rate for any port. Bitstream uses ports 6881-6889.

http://www.carrafix.com/

MrMacMan
May 1, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by kumichou
I use it to get fansubbed anime. It's about the best solution to most of the complaints about P2P file sharing. Though, a friend and I are planning on writing our own bittorrent client for OS X. The current one uses Python along with Obj-C and we think we can come up with a better way to display the data, add more functionality and not use Python. ;)

If anyone uses it for OS X, you might notice that it's a serious CPU hog. Hide it, and utilization goes down to 10-15% which is better than the 40% or so it uses while the download windows are showing.

hm... not such a hog for me, but if you guys are making one, cool! :D
The current Mac OS X one is like .11 versions behind...

me hate windows
May 1, 2003, 06:37 PM
argh, the stupid download wont work. Can someone put it in their public folder and give me their IP address? Or a different solution might be easier.

MrMacMan
May 1, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by me hate windows
argh, the stupid download wont work. Can someone put it in their public folder and give me their IP address? Or a different solution might be easier.

here (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/bittorrent/BitTorrent_OSX_3.1.dmg)

polyesterlester
May 1, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
how do you find trackers? i have no idea how to run this thing. you think they would add some common links to get you started.

http://www.turok.info/eps.shtml
http://episodes-first.cjb.net/
http://www.bittorrentsites.cjb.net/
http://www.bstark.pp.se/bittorrent/
http://smiler.no-ip.org/BT/BTlinks.php

Hope this helps :)

Jaykay
May 3, 2003, 01:08 PM
Nice Program

Snowy_River
May 6, 2003, 03:12 PM
By a strange twist of fate, someone who works across the hall from me told me about BitTorrent the same day that this thread appeared. Naturally, I downloaded it, and I was immediately impressed by the fact that I can download TV episodes with better picture quality than I can get over my TV. And, in general, they fit on CDs! This has got me burning more CDs than I ever have before...

2112
May 6, 2003, 07:05 PM
dunno how to put this ... anyway
How on earth does BitTorrent work !?
I just don't get how this "download a file to download other files" thing works.
How are they noticed by search engines ?

also, how do you define what other ppl. can download from you ?
I begun downloading some Simpsons episodes and suddenly I realized that I'm uploading at 10K/s rate ... Honestly I got scared, who is downloading what from me ?!


Thx
Sarc

Snowy_River
May 6, 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 2112
dunno how to put this ... anyway
How on earth does BitTorrent work !?
I just don't get how this "download a file to download other files" thing works.
How are they noticed by search engines ?

also, how do you define what other ppl. can download from you ?
I begun downloading some Simpsons episodes and suddenly I realized that I'm uploading at 10K/s rate ... Honestly I got scared, who is downloading what from me ?!


Thx
Sarc

Okay, I may be speaking through my hat here, so anyone who knows better can feel free to correct me.

Once you start to download a file, the portion of it that you have downloaded is made available for others to upload from you. If you try watching an incomplete download from BitTorrent, you'll notice that it doesn't start from the beginning and fill in to the end. It gets a piece here, and a piece there. So, as soon as you have any piece of the file, you are valuable to others that are trying to download that file. I don't think that BT can upload anything that you haven't 'created a torrent file' of.

Now, the idea of a torrent file is, as I understand it, that this provides an identifier to the files that you want to download, making it easier to identify other clients that have that file. Have you ever gone to other P2P applications, done a search for something, and see a dozen different versions of exactly the same thing? I believe that's what the BT model is trying to avoid. So far as I can tell, it's doing a stellar job of it, too.

2112
May 6, 2003, 08:19 PM
first of all, thx

so I keep asking,
is there a way to tell wich .torrent file will provide faster downloads or is it just a generic file name where "the network" finds the best source ?

MrMacMan
May 6, 2003, 08:20 PM
It create a network of users that have different parts of episodes and they are downloaded to make the whole thing. This is the reason why you can't watch it before you complete it.

It may seem weird that you are uploading 10kb/sec when you only have 2KB downloaded, that basically means 5 users needed that data.

It works very well if you know where to get the torrent files so that people can be connected.

BTW, don't leech, after you finish downloading, don't quit! Let people upload off of you!
My rule of thumb is after a day of uploading something to other users, you have given all the data back. :)

Originally posted by 2112
first of all, thx

so I keep asking,
is there a way to tell wich .torrent file will provide faster downloads or is it just a generic file name where "the network" finds the best source ?
If the site you go to is only (example) alias, then you will probably get a faster download than a generic I have program a, b, c, d.

There is no real checking of speeds before you try, remember other people can connect while your downloading and increase the speed of your download. :)

Snowy_River
May 6, 2003, 08:40 PM
Alright, I have a question for those of you who have been using BT longer than I have...

I know that on other platforms BT can resume a partial download, but I have yet to figure out how to get it to do this on OS X. Is it possible? Or do I have to wait for the overdue updated OS X client?

TonicAngel
May 6, 2003, 08:52 PM
On a pc bittorrent checks the existing file and then resumes from that point on. I've been using it for months and I love it. I am not too sure about the os x version though. The versions all came out at the same time and I'm still using the older pc bit torrent version. The quality of tv shows are awesome :D

2112
May 6, 2003, 09:46 PM
thanks for the answers ... specially Mrmacman and Snowy_River.

anyway ...
Mac OS X bittorrent can resume partial downloads (version 3.1a at least).
all you have to do is -when asked for a save location when opening a .torrent- specify the same directory you used last time on the same file.

Snowy_River
May 6, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 2112
thanks for the answers ... specially Mrmacman and Snowy_River.

anyway ...
Mac OS X bittorrent can resume partial downloads (version 3.1a at least).
all you have to do is -when asked for a save location when opening a .torrent- specify the same directory you used last time on the same file.

ARGH! I was thrown off by the fact that it asks you if you want to replace the existing file! So, feeling that my experiment was a failure, hit cancel, then quit, then deleted the partial file!

Thank you, 2112. That makes me much happier with this program.

MrMacMan
May 9, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Snowy_River
ARGH! I was thrown off by the fact that it asks you if you want to replace the existing file! So, feeling that my experiment was a failure, hit cancel, then quit, then deleted the partial file!

Thank you, 2112. That makes me much happier with this program.
yes, it will start up if you have any small bit of the program, basically it works like the uploading works, it uploads and downloads what you need.

9eleven83
Oct 31, 2003, 12:18 AM
im confused about the resuming.... sorry if this is a really old topic , but i just joined. lets say ive been DL'ing program X on to HD1..... for some reason i have to restart my computer, i launch bittorrent, find the orinal .torrent file on my computer and when asked where i would like to save it to i save to HD1 where i saved it before? and when promted with the question of do you want to replace it...... do i replace or just rename it? becuase program X is a large file and i would hate for it all go to waste especially at DL rates of like . 05 k per sec. thanks guys and have a great day. plz help

MrMacMan
Nov 2, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by 9eleven83
im confused about the resuming.... sorry if this is a really old topic , but i just joined. lets say ive been DL'ing program X on to HD1..... for some reason i have to restart my computer, i launch bittorrent, find the orinal .torrent file on my computer and when asked where i would like to save it to i save to HD1 where i saved it before? and when promted with the question of do you want to replace it...... do i replace or just rename it? becuase program X is a large file and i would hate for it all go to waste especially at DL rates of like . 05 k per sec. thanks guys and have a great day. plz help

you want to replace the file.

By replacing it means 'find out how much you have and start from that point'...

It is a little unclear.

AutomaticFool
May 5, 2004, 07:29 PM
yeah the first time i tried useing BT that fooled me to but because of bt i have dl'd about 30 gigs of anime on to my comp..... its what all my friends use too