PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno: Apple iPhone is really an "iCarAccident"

MacBytes
Dec 6, 2006, 06:16 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Jay Leno: Apple iPhone is really an "iCarAccident" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061206071602)
Description:: During his Wednesday, December 6th Tonight Show monologue, Jay Leno referenced Apple's rumored upcoming iPhone...

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
Dec 6, 2006, 06:41 AM
On my planet, Wednesday, December 6th's "Tonight Show" hasn't happened yet.

godrifle
Dec 6, 2006, 06:59 AM

They're in another time zone; RDT (reality distortion time)

:D

Fuchal
Dec 6, 2006, 07:21 AM
Doesn't Jay Leno know that you shouldnt use your cell phone while driving, and that in most states its illegal?

rxse7en
Dec 6, 2006, 07:26 AM
Yes, I remember that episode MANY years ago...that was the one where he was devoured by our ant overlords shortly after his monologue. All hail our ant overlords!

GoCubsGo
Dec 6, 2006, 07:40 AM
Haha that is classic TV right there and Leno as a point.

autrefois
Dec 6, 2006, 08:50 AM
They're in another time zone; RDT (reality distortion time)

:D

:)

I see everyone noticed the same thing I did, the date. They spelled it "rumored" and not "rumoured", so it must just be an East-Coast American who looked up at his computer clock to write the article after the show and saw it was 12:30 am Dec. 6th, not thinking of the fact that the show started on Dec. 5. Oh well.

But anyway, assuming the content of the article is true, I think that was a great joke. It made me laugh and I'm sure it made other people laugh, too. But more importantly it helps build/create anticipation for the iPhone among the non Mac faithful who may not even know an iPhone is coming.

Sure it's illegal in some states to drive while talking on the cell phone, but people do LOTS of things that are illegal. Maybe that makes the joke even funnier in places where it's illegal, who knows?

Chef Medeski
Dec 6, 2006, 09:32 AM
:)

I see everyone noticed the same thing I did, the date. They spelled it "rumored" and not "rumoured", so it must just be an East-Coast American who looked up at his computer clock to write the article after the show and saw it was 12:30 am Dec. 6th, not thinking of the fact that the show started on Dec. 5. Oh well.

But anyway, assuming the content of the article is true, I think that was a great joke. It made me laugh and I'm sure it made other people laugh, too. But more importantly it helps build/create anticipation for the iPhone among the non Mac faithful who may not even know an iPhone is coming.

Sure it's illegal in some states to drive while talking on the cell phone, but people do LOTS of things that are illegal. Maybe that makes the joke even funnier in places where it's illegal, who knows?

ahhhh

impierced
Dec 6, 2006, 09:49 AM
Doesn't Jay Leno know that you shouldnt use your cell phone while driving, and that in most states its illegal?

Actaully that's not true at all. Quite the opposite, it's completely legal to use a cell phone while driving in most states.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/cell_phones.html

Snowy_River
Dec 6, 2006, 09:57 AM
Actaully that's not true at all. Quite the opposite, it's completely legal to use a cell phone while driving in most states.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/state_laws/cell_phones.html

What do you think of this one:

California Hand Held Ban: yes (eff. 7/1/08)

Is that a typo, or are those Californians not willing to be banned for another two years?

Of course, what's just nuts about this is that there have been studies that have shown that you're as likely or more likely to get in an accident when talking on a cell phone using the handset as you are if your blood is at the level of being legally intoxicated.

So, clearly, if we don't need stronger laws about cell phones, then we need weaker laws about DUI. :rolleyes:

j33pd0g
Dec 6, 2006, 10:39 AM
#!$% Jay Leno. How many distractions is this stupid thing? The only people who would get into "cell-phone" related car accidents are the same people who would also get into "look at that hot chick" accidents. Cell-phone related accidents are at the bottom of the list in NY state. Drinking coffee, eating, smoking, listening to the radio, primping all come first. Yet, cell-phone use in NY is illegal but not the other causes. (Hands free is OK)

I never liked Leno and his comedy stylings anyway.

AppliedVisual
Dec 6, 2006, 10:50 AM

Many states have talked of making it illegal... Most states have no laws or ordinances against it. I only know of a few places where it is illegal - starting with New York who passed such a law in 2001. However, it is loosely enforced there and I don't believe a driver can actually be pulled-over by an officer solely for cell-phone use. They must be pulled-over for a moving violation such as illegal lane changes, speeding, etc.. And at that time can be cited for additional infractions such as not wearing their seat belt or using a cell phone. There are various cities/towns across the country where using cell-phones while driving can earn you a fine or traffic ticket, but AFAIK, NY is the only place with a state-wide ban. ...And even with that, many people are also exempt (medical professionals, certain government officials, emergency response, police officers, etc..).

swingerofbirch
Dec 6, 2006, 10:53 AM
Most people I talk to say that most people shouldn't be driving with cell phones except for themselves because they only....and they are careful.....etc

I use speaker phone in my car...never dial in the car, but I do talk on the phone, it's better than my sister and her friends who text message while they drive...not kidding!

AppliedVisual
Dec 6, 2006, 10:54 AM

Is that a typo, or are those Californians not willing to be banned for another two years?

Not a typo, it was just passed recently and goes into effect in '08.

For now, cell use in cars is still legal just about everywhere. Also to add to the exeptions for NY (and I think someone else already mentioned it), hands free operation with voice-dialing, etc.. is still legal. As it will be in California.

testMonkey
Dec 6, 2006, 12:50 PM
As fun as discussing state law is, has anyone seen a clip of this floating around the tubes?

aranhamo
Dec 6, 2006, 01:27 PM
Of course, what's just nuts about this is that there have been studies that have shown that you're as likely or more likely to get in an accident when talking on a cell phone using the handset as you are if your blood is at the level of being legally intoxicated.

Some study a while ago found that using a hands-free device isn't any safer, since it's the distraction of the conversation itself, not the device, that is a problem. Apparently, New York is considering banning hands-free devices as well on that basis. In the city where I live, there is already a city ordinance in place, relying on that study, which bans doing anything distracting while driving, and allows a police officer to pull you over and cite you purely on his judgement that you were driving while distracted. The ordinance specifically mentions using a cell phone (including hands-free devices), eating, changing radio stations or attending to children as reasons why you could be pulled over and cited, but says that the list is not exhaustive, and that any distraction can be a reason to be pulled over and cited.

Snowy_River
Dec 6, 2006, 01:49 PM
Some study a while ago found that using a hands-free device isn't any safer, since it's the distraction of the conversation itself, not the device, that is a problem. Apparently, New York is considering banning hands-free devices as well on that basis. In the city where I live, there is already a city ordinance in place, relying on that study, which bans doing anything distracting while driving, and allows a police officer to pull you over and cite you purely on his judgement that you were driving while distracted. The ordinance specifically mentions using a cell phone (including hands-free devices), eating, changing radio stations or attending to children as reasons why you could be pulled over and cited, but says that the list is not exhaustive, and that any distraction can be a reason to be pulled over and cited.

The last one I read about debunked the business about the hands-free being as bad. It indicated that not having both hands free, plus the tendency to use the handset (i.e. dial) were the primary culprits. (Please don't ask for a link, as it was over a year ago that I read this, and I think it was in a magazine, not online.)

No distractions at all are allowed, eh? Well, what if you're distracted by having a conversation with the person sitting next to you in the car? Or, here's a good one, what if you're distracted by the fact that there's a cop sitting on the side of the road, pulling out to follow you? So, then the cop is a distraction, and he can pull you over for being distracted? This gets a little insane.

I sometimes talk on the phone when driving, but when I do I use my hands-free headset (BT), and I will only do so in easy driving conditions. If the weather starts getting bad, or traffic gets heavy and people start driving crazy, I'll immediately get off the phone. Honestly, I don't mind people talking on the phone, so long as they do it in a safe way. I've seen too many people that are sitting there with the handset held up against their ear, fumbling with the steering wheel, and thus veering this way and that. Very dangerous. My general response to those people is to say "Shut up, hang up, and drive!" :)

redAPPLE
Dec 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
i don't get the joke.

princealfie
Dec 6, 2006, 02:52 PM

Isn't Jay Leno illegal in some states?

SilvorX
Dec 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
Where I live, sometimes talking on the phone is required in order to be able to stay awake on the road, since the roads are freaking straight for hundreds and hundreds of km to the point that it gets too boring and you start to fall asleep

wmmk
Dec 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
Isn't Jay Leno illegal in some states?

LOL!!!!!

anyway, haven't there been smartphones before? those don't seem to kill people (unless the people are emailing as they drive, in which case they shouldn't be let outside!), and the iPhone hasn't even been released.

Add another one to the ranks of Dvorak!

jettredmont
Dec 6, 2006, 06:18 PM

So, clearly, if we don't need stronger laws about cell phones, then we need weaker laws about DUI. :rolleyes:

What's really nuts is that multiple studies place the blame on the conversation, not the fact that you are holding the phone to your ear (and, yes, I know one or two say the holding of the phone is significant, but by and large the consensus appears to be that at least 3/4 of the problem is with the conversation and the parts of the brain a phone conversation uses that face-to-face conversations do not). And yet, the "solution" is almost always "buy a hands-free phone set". If the "hand usage" were the problem then we'd be pushing nationally for laws banning food and radios too!

While that's great for the hands-free phone set manufacturers, it misses the chance to make our roads measurably safer.

That having been said, it is a lot easier to enforce a no-holding-a-brick-to-your-ear-while-driving ban than it is to enforce a no-talking-into-an-earpiece ban.

As an aside, I used to drive 1.5 hours on the Mass Pike (I-90) every morning, and it was not uncommon to see people driving with a book or even newspaper laid out on the steering wheel in front of them, especially in the straight/flat sections. I guess my point is that people are stupid and apparently need laws and enforcement to keep them from injuring themselves and others by sheer power of said stupidity.

Cybix
Dec 6, 2006, 06:23 PM
Illegal to drive whilst talking on a mobile phone in Australia...

something like $100 fine and two demerit points off your licence, or something along those lines.

it's called get a hands free kit

kalisphoenix
Dec 6, 2006, 08:43 PM
I never liked Leno and his comedy stylings anyway.

"comedy stylings"?

solvs
Dec 7, 2006, 02:01 AM
Wow, some of you people need to relax. It was only a joke, and it does make a point. Of course, I've been using cell phones in the car for years, as well as MP3 players, cd players, etc. Never had an accident period, knock on wood. It's called being careful and paying attention. There are people who will put on makeup and play with the radio in the pouring rain without paying attention, that's who you need to worry about.

Of course, I did miss an exit once while talking on the phone when someone called me, but I've done that while talking to friends in the car too. :o

Qunchuy
Dec 7, 2006, 02:14 PM
...I did miss an exit once while talking on the phone when someone called me, but I've done that while talking to friends in the car too. :o

Been there, done that. It seems that I can drive just fine while having a conversation, but navigation often suffers. It's like driving is a tactical process that works independent of certain distractions, but "strategic" processes like watching for a specific turn and paying attention to someone's speech interfere with each other.