PDA

View Full Version : MacBook refund/replacement?

Josias
Dec 6, 2006, 07:21 AM
Hey
I've asked this question in many older threads, but no on ever answered my question.

I have had my week 19 MacBook since May, and it's been perfect so far. It's always had a little whine, but no big deal. Now, it started to get discoloration (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058), and since I stopped listening to music while doing a major shcool project, the whine (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303365) is really a big stick in the butt.

Anyhow, I wonder if they will just replace my motherboard and topcase, or if they won't bother, and just give me a replacement?

In said case, will I be able to get a refund instead, or perhaps pay the difference up to a MacBook Pro?

I need my Mac until around January/February, so I'll have to cope with all of this until then? Any experience, or can anyone tell me what I should expect?

Also, the article about whine is only for 15" MBP, but I remember reading somewhere they also covered MB's...

discoforce
Dec 6, 2006, 07:47 AM
Apple's policy on refunds is only within 14 days of purchase, so no luck there. Best bet is to contact applecare and begin the diagnosis/repair process.

In rare cases of extreme problems or unreasonably long repair times, I've heard of folks getting replacements (or upgrades). But that definitely won't be where they start.

reflex
Dec 6, 2006, 07:49 AM
Apple used to replace the discolored palm rests through AppleCare, so I guess they still do.

As said above, contact AppleCare and see what happens.

Josias
Dec 6, 2006, 07:53 AM
Apple used to replace the discolored palm rests through AppleCare, so I guess they still do.

As said above, contact AppleCare and see what happens.

I know I'll get my topcase replaced, as long as it's under warranty, but I was asking about, whether they would give me a new logic board, and if they would bother to repair it, or just give me a replacement?

(Consider that motherboard replacements are pretty expensive;) )