Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
apparently, liquid water has been flowing on mars in the last 5 years:
dn10740-1_627.jpg

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6587226

life next?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Looks more like a rock slide to me, especially in this one:

gully300.jpg

As far as I've known, a gully usually does not fan out so close to the origin. Traditionally they flow until the hillside gradient lessens enough to slow down the speed of the water and cause fanning. As you can see in this picture, the 'gully' is already quite wide at the top.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Looks more like a rock slide to me, especially in this one:

As far as I've known, a gully usually does not fan out so close to the origin. Traditionally they flow until the hillside gradient lessens enough to slow down the speed of the water and cause fanning. As you can see in this picture, the 'gully' is already quite wide at the top.

it depends on the slope inclination, obstacles and so on.
I don't know if it was water, but it does look like that the cause must be some sort of liquid.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
Inconclusive but with such low atmospheric pressure can water even exist in a liquid form on the surface?

not for long.
but it might be under pressure at some depth and occasionally make it to the surface, where it would very quickly freeze.
depending on the temperature, solutes, salinity and mass, it could leave traces on the ground

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Call me sad but i watched the NASA briefing live on Sky News. It is a liquid of some sort (not necessarily water) that has flowed in the gulley sometime between 2001 (i think) and 2006. The amount is equivalent to 10 large swimming pools i.e. you would want to get the frack out of the way if you say it coming at you.

Any new disturbance on the ground on Mars is lighter than the surrounding surface but it eventually gets darker (for some reason).

They also found a recent crater formed by a meteorite that hit recently too.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
See they live underground and they flush the toilet to the surface...:)

Where it freezes and doesn't creep back to where they live... nice thinking!

Seriously, this could be big. We may find life forms that don't require water to survive, and with body plans never imagined. Of course, that would mean studying animal physiology all over again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.