Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Has anybody experienced a similar problem as this? I tried to change the brightness in XP since it was too dark for my liking, and it crashed, forcing me to reboot. I tried again with the same result.

Later, I ran windows without touching brightness and it was fine. What gives?

Thanks in advance!

Btw: this is on a MBP C2D 2.33 2 gigs ram 160gig hard drive

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
I just have it for games and school, don't worry :D Now that I'm used to OS X WinXP is a pain to use.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Alright I just realised that the problem is completely avoided when I use Fn + brightness button. Doesn't lock up.

So I guess I won't be using the brightness button in the taskbar anymore.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Alright I just realised that the problem is completely avoided when I use Fn + brightness button. Doesn't lock up.

So I guess I won't be using the brightness button in the taskbar anymore.

Using the fn+ key still crashed my system twice but miraculously worked the third. Boot back to OSX already. Now i remeber why i switched, i just cant stand that OS. Ugh!

Robbyallen

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2006
winXP brightness crash

ye i got the same problem. doesnt really make a differnence to me as i dont need to change the screens brightness though it woulb n nice if there was an easy fix all the same. it doesnt always crash the system just randomly it would seem.

I just have it for games and school, don't worry Now that I'm used to OS X WinXP is a pain to use.

games and school work are basically the only things i use my computer for anyways. i agree that the OS X is superior but i find it a lot easier to just stay in windows. i just bought my imac for the hardware

rottenapple

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
Still no answer?

Input Remapper 1.0.04

Try that instead. Or maybe WinACD

They are alternatives for apple's keyboard/brightness software drivers; which is what I suspect leads to the crashing when the brightness is played with in XP. You guys kind of tend to be idiots by avoiding the answer to the problem and bash windows for not having better drivers for mac hardware already. This attitude is stressful for those who want to improve cross-compatibility and further explore how operating systems actually work, as opposed to just venting our bad experiences with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.